The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Game crashes after character login

kvstoner
kvstoner
Soul Shriven
I purchased the game a few days ago and it was working fine until I got an error message saying the game has stopped working. Now everytime I login I am able to select a character to play but when it tries to load that character the game crashes saying "Eso has stopped working" either on the loading screen or seconds after the game world appears. I've submitted the crash report but have heard nothing.

I have tried a fresh install and update, followed by a repair. I have also tried updating my graphics drivers, and turning off anti-virus. I've tried creating the UserSettings.txt document as well. Nothing seems to be working. Please help!
  • ZOS_GaryA
    ZOS_GaryA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there @kvstoner,

We'd like to ask you to submit a Game Consultant file to customer support. This report contains information about your computer that will help us diagnose and resolve the issue that you're running into. Thanks for your patience!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • kvstoner
    kvstoner
    Soul Shriven
    I had previously contacted customer support and am in contact with them now, although they did not request a game consultant file yet. Interestingly they suggested I try to login on an alternate character on the account and it seems to work fine. The initial character still does not work so that makes me think there may be something wrong with that specific character or files associated with him?

Just wanted to give an update for those who may be experiencing similar issues.
    Edited by kvstoner on February 24, 2015 10:02PM
  • Smaxx
    Smaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might also depend on the location where your character is standing.

Maybe it's some problem with the precompiled shaders.

Go to <documents>\Elder Scrolls Online\live(eu) and delete ShaderCache.cooked. Next start the game might take a bit longer to launch, which is completely normal while the file is being rebuilt.
  • kvstoner
    kvstoner
    Soul Shriven
    You were correct. I asked customer service to move my character away from the location they were in and now I'm able to play again.

Are you saying to avoid this in the future I should try deleting that file, or were those two separate suggestions?

For reference here was the comment from customer support: "It could also be an issue with the location of your character. There are some known quests that cause the game to crash and do not allow you back on that specific character."