The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Fishing Guide

DarthRupert
DarthRupert
✭✭✭
This post has being moved to the guide section. Any major guide updates will now be posted here http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/1700064#Comment_1700064

http://eso-fishing.weebly.com/
Feedback is welcome, as I will be constantly updating this as long as I play.
Edited by DarthRupert on April 5, 2015 2:25PM
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice work. The info you have there is extremely helpful. The layout on the zone charts is fantastic and easy to read. While I've seen it available from other sources, your formatting makes it crystal clear. It's surprisingly hard to explain to people how the fish distribution works when one water type is not present but what you've provided clears up any confusion.
  • Hciliata
    Hciliata
    ✭✭
    This is really cool. I can't tell from reading this and other posts--is it possible to complete all the fishing achievements? Or are there still unresolved bugs?
  • DarthRupert
    DarthRupert
    ✭✭✭
    The only bug I know of is with the Stros M'kai fish, it can't be caught with Worms so you have to use Chub instead.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dang, this is why I'm having problems, I'm not using enough types of bait. Love this.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nice work, very useful. I'm a Master Angler, just so you know I'm not talking without the relevant experience, but a few observations:
    • Your site states special baits yield a better chance of catching rares. What's the source for that? I did a thread on the topic, and general consensus, and my own experience, was that there is no advantage using special bait. Those baits are nice because they come thru the act of fishing, no extra effort needed, but consumes bag space. I used mine up as fast as possible for the space.
    • As mentioned above, Stros M'kai fish can only be caught using chub. You should include that on you site.
    • For the zones missing a water type, the missing type are caught from the other waters, but not randomly in most zones. There is a good google spreadsheet that shows which waters to fish so you aren't trying to get a rare foul fish from ocean when it can only be caught from river, etc. You include this on your maps, and chart, but I'd suggest making a bigger note of it in your guide, and perhaps coloring those differently in your chart.
    • Though it's true, as stated on your site, that any bait can be used on any water, using the right bait should rarely, if ever, yield used bait. Also, used bait should ALWAYS be collected, not thrown back, because the next cast will always yield used bait if you do.
    • Might also be worth noting how big a role RNG plays in fishing :), as I'm sure you're aware. People get discouraged after using 800 worms for a fish, and think something is broken, when they could catch the fish on the next cast, or after another 800, but eventually they will catch it :). Never buy bugs parts, too easy to collect. Guts and crawlers also easy to collect, only buy if very cheap. Worms hardest to come by, but often can be found for 10g or less in guild stores. I recommend not to pay more.
    • I found the RareFishTracker add-on very useful, though as you note it has a few errors (Stormhaven was worst) and handles fish from missing waters poorly.

Again, very nice site, I'm sure it took a lot of work. Your maps should be very helpful. Are you a Master Angler? It's not stated anywhere that I saw.

edit-the errors in RareFishTracker add-on have been corrected since I used it.
    Edited by Ourorboros on December 26, 2014 12:08AM
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • katkat42
    katkat42
    ✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    • I found the RareFishTracker add-on very useful, though as you note it has a few errors (Rivenspire was worst) and handles fish from missing waters poorly.

What's the error for Rivenspire? Is it just the missing water type, or is there another problem?

I fixed the ones in Stormhaven in the last release, and I'll be tackling the zones with missing water types after I'm done updating another add-on. I'm glad you like it!

Also, @DarthRupert‌ , your site is an awesome resource! Thank you!
    Stonehenge ROCKS!
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What's the error for Rivenspire? Is it just the missing water type, or is there another problem?
    Honestly, I could be wrong about it being Rivenspire, but several rares are listed in the wrong waters. This could have been corrected if the add-on was updated...I deleted it after I got my Master Angler several months ago. The google doc I linked above has the right fish. It could be right in this fishing guide as well, but I didn't check.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • kimboh
    kimboh
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there any ocean water in Cyrodil?

Or is it just the three types like reapers March.
    Edited by kimboh on December 26, 2014 12:10AM
    <l Cygnus X|VR14|Sorc l>
    <| Romulus Prime|VR12|Temp |>
    <| Qwoptus |lvl30|DK|>
    <| DC|EU |>
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    katkat42 wrote: »
    • I found the RareFishTracker add-on very useful, though as you note it has a few errors (Rivenspire was worst) and handles fish from missing waters poorly.

I fixed the ones in Stormhaven in the last release, and I'll be tackling the zones with missing water types after I'm done updating another add-on. I'm glad you like it!

Also, @DarthRupert‌ , your site is an awesome resource! Thank you!

Upon rereading your post, looks like RareFishTracker is your add-on. It's awesome, and helped tremendously. Obviously you already know about the mix-up in rares in some zones. I checked, and it was Stormhaven, not Rivenspire (I'll edit my post). One suggestion, if it's possible to incorporate, would be to add the fish from missing waters into the correct water for each zone. So instead of listing rare fouls under Fouls in Deshaan, list them in the water they have to be caught in, for example. I had to use the google doc to know where to fish in these cases.

On a tangent, I thought another useful add-on would be to mimic RareFishTracker for the Lightbringer, Give to Poor, Crime Pays, M'aiq achievements. You have to find each of those in every zone, and something in the HUD like RareFishTracker would have saved me a lot of effort checking my journal entries.

But again, RareFishTracker is a fisherman's best friend. <3:D
    PC/NA/DC
  • DarthRupert
    DarthRupert
    ✭✭✭
    @Ourorboros‌ Hey thanks for the feedback it really helps.

So about the "special bait" I completely agree with you, and I've taken it out in my WIP rework of the guide. Thank you for catching the Stros M'kai fish, I meant to make a note of it on the chart and map but forgot to add it.
    I'll also make sure to note about used bait and RNG in my guide rework, as well as whether or not you should buy certain baits.

No I'm not a Master Angler. I loved to fish at launch, but I stopped playing just after update 1. I resubbed and started a new character which is my Main. Most of this info comes from what I learned after scouring the web for fishing info, as well as information I've gained while fishing with others in my guild. I actually used that google doc to fill in the fish I'm currently missing. Anything I find incorrect I make note of, so I can change it.

I'm curious about your suggestion to recolor "missing" fish. Did you mean according to RTF? I'll be honest I don't understand why everyone calls them missing fish. Is that how the game categorizes them, or was it more a result of the community filling in blanks when fishing info was scarce? I view it as more fish in less water types, which is why it reads that way in charts.

Also on a side note I use the add-on "Destinations" which puts pins on the map for those obscure achievements, as well as undiscovered locations. You can toggle all of it on/off and customize the pins as well.

@katkat42 Thanks a lot, so is RTF. It's saved me tons of time.

kimboh wrote: »
    Is there any ocean water in Cyrodil?
    Yes there are, the only ones I know of are to the right of the Gates of Mnem
    That south-east water is the only sea in all of Cyrodiil, so all the holes should be around that.
  • kimboh
    kimboh
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah @DarthRupert‌ cheers, I just spent a couple of hours searching and finally found the one near the gate.
    Managed to get the blue fish on my second cast though :#
    But 200 crawlers and still no Sewer Eel.
    Edited by kimboh on December 26, 2014 4:28AM
    <l Cygnus X|VR14|Sorc l>
    <| Romulus Prime|VR12|Temp |>
    <| Qwoptus |lvl30|DK|>
    <| DC|EU |>
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My guild-mates created an excellent fishing guide, check the link below.
    http://blackmarketwares.enjin.com/forum/m/21558194/viewthread/14432209-complete-fishing-guide
    I'm curious about your suggestion to recolor "missing" fish. Did you mean according to RTF? I'll be honest I don't understand why everyone calls them missing fish. Is that how the game categorizes them, or was it more a result of the community filling in blanks when fishing info was scarce? I view it as more fish in less water types, which is why it reads that way in charts.

Also on a side note I use the add-on "Destinations" which puts pins on the map for those obscure achievements, as well as undiscovered locations. You can toggle all of it on/off and customize the pins as well.

"more fish in less water types", quite a mouthful, but yes that is to what I was referring. My suggestion is to somehow make distinct in your chart those fish which must be caught in a water different from their true water type. That's also the idea I was suggesting for RareFishTracker. Like I said, I had to keep popping into the google doc to keep myself straight.

LOL, I learned DESTINATIONS about a week after I finished the last of those achievements. I think an add-on for them like RareFishTracker would still be useful. I never used Destinations, but I think it would only tell you where to go, not which of those achievement items were completed.
    PC/NA/DC
  • DarthRupert
    DarthRupert
    ✭✭✭
    @Ourorboros‌
    I'll certainly add some form of marking to the charts and maps.
    Before I do I would like some clarification on why those fish are considered in the wrong water type? Where did the "True Water Types" come from?

I know it's common knowledge for anyone who has already gone deep into fishing, but I know this part of fishing really confuses new anglers. I would like to try to stop referring to them as missing fish if possible, only to help reduce some of that confusion. Don't worry either way, I'll still add the marks.

@kimboh‌
    Lol I'm glad you found it. And I know that feeling of hate towards the rng. I'm currently at 432 worms and counting all used solely to catch my last Rivenspire fish. I hoping my collection of 800+ worms is enough to get it, during my next run.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Ourorboros‌
    I'll certainly add some form of marking to the charts and maps.
    Before I do I would like some clarification on why those fish are considered in the wrong water type? Where did the "True Water Types" come from?

Most fishing info comes from the in-game book, 'The Guide to Fishing Tamriel'. The rest I think is just users' experience. There really are no missing fish, it's waters that are missing. Not sure why it's not being expressed as 'missing fish'. Each fish you catch is labeled for it's water type, no matter what water from which it is caught. Those water types are all laid out in the book above. So if you catch a Trodh from a river or lake instead of foul, it's the wrong water type. neh?
    PC/NA/DC
  • DarthRupert
    DarthRupert
    ✭✭✭
    @Ourorbors Thanks for the help, I'll get on it as soon as I get back from holiday with the extended family.
  • katkat42
    katkat42
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, as far as bait farming locations, my favorite Crawlers location is behind the Vukhel Guard stables.
    Stonehenge ROCKS!
  • X3ina
    X3ina
    ✭✭✭
    Great job ;) I had some troubles with finding proper fishes but now its all solved.
    SW GoH > ESO
  • katkat42
    katkat42
    ✭✭✭
    One suggestion, if it's possible to incorporate, would be to add the fish from missing waters into the correct water for each zone. So instead of listing rare fouls under Fouls in Deshaan, list them in the water they have to be caught in, for example. I had to use the google doc to know where to fish in these cases.

Ask and ye shall receive! V1.7 of Rare Fish Tracker now displays the missing water types correctly.
    On a tangent, I thought another useful add-on would be to mimic RareFishTracker for the Lightbringer, Give to Poor, Crime Pays, M'aiq achievements. You have to find each of those in every zone, and something in the HUD like RareFishTracker would have saved me a lot of effort checking my journal entries.

You're not the first to say something like that. I've had that idea on my to-do list for a little while now. The hubby's been working long hours this holiday season (grrr), so I've had to spend time child-minding instead of coding. Hopefully that will change in the next few weeks, so keep your eyes peeled for something called "Kindler, Beggar, Liar, Thief". :-)
    Stonehenge ROCKS!
  • ZOS_MichaelServotte
    ZOS_MichaelServotte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is really some impressive work you did there. Extremely useful and clear information for everyone.
    Michaël Servotte
    Community Manager (FR) - Gestionnaire de communauté francophone - The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube
    Staff Post
  • Darkonflare15
    Darkonflare15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update 6 is coming and there is a lack of fishing knowledge in one spot. So to remedy this problem, I attempted to create an easy to use comprehensive guide; to help out both new and old anglers.

I'm currently working on marking every fishing hole in each zone with its type. This will allow me to provide maps to find fishing routes and water types you need. I will be posting them on the site as I complete them.

http://eso-fishing.weebly.com/
    Feedback is welcome, as I will be constantly updating this as long as I play.
    Thanks, There was a bit info I did not know about fishing that learn from you guide. It looks like you put a lot work on it. It is much appreciated. :)
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @DarthRupert‌ , just checked your updated webpage. It warms my heart that you used many of my suggestions :). Site looks awesome, best all-around guide I've seen.
    I had most zone maps marked with fishing holes, though I've erased a lot since I got Master Angler (dealing with severe game issues that turned out to be bad GPU). But if I have any still marked, would you like to see them?
    PC/NA/DC
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    katkat42 wrote: »
    One suggestion, if it's possible to incorporate, would be to add the fish from missing waters into the correct water for each zone. So instead of listing rare fouls under Fouls in Deshaan, list them in the water they have to be caught in, for example. I had to use the google doc to know where to fish in these cases.

Ask and ye shall receive! V1.7 of Rare Fish Tracker now displays the missing water types correctly.

You're not the first to say something like that. I've had that idea on my to-do list for a little while now. The hubby's been working long hours this holiday season (grrr), so I've had to spend time child-minding instead of coding. Hopefully that will change in the next few weeks, so keep your eyes peeled for something called "Kindler, Beggar, Liar, Thief". :-)

@katkat42‌, glad you found my feedback useful. Since I already have all the achievements discussed, I don't need the add-ons. But I'll have to try them out somehow to see the changes. Keep us posted on "Kindler, Beggar, Liar, Thief", I'd really like to see that too, even though I already found everything :)
    PC/NA/DC
  • DarthRupert
    DarthRupert
    ✭✭✭
    @DarthRupert‌ , just checked your updated webpage. It warms my heart that you used many of my suggestions :). Site looks awesome, best all-around guide I've seen.
    I had most zone maps marked with fishing holes, though I've erased a lot since I got Master Angler (dealing with severe game issues that turned out to be bad GPU). But if I have any still marked, would you like to see them?

If you want to spend the time to, I'll gladly use them (especially EP, Craglorn, or Cyrodiil). I think I have all the DC and AD marked just have to take the time to convert them to my site's format.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @katkat42, I reloaded RareFishTracker to check the changes you made, and all I can say is AWESOME . It is now the perfect add-on for fishing achievements. <3

@DarthRupert‌, sorry, looks like I already deleted all my custom map pins for fishing holes. But carry on with your website. It too is AWESOME. <3
    PC/NA/DC
  • ZOS_Bel_Shezzar
    ZOS_Bel_Shezzar
    ✭✭✭
    This is a pretty awesome guide! Very comprehensive and complete. I hope you don't mind that we snuck something new into fishing for Update 6 - it should be a nice perk to being an avid fisher, at least. :)
    Chris Balser
    Systems Team - The Elder Scrolls Online
    Staff Post
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @DarthRupert‌ , here are 1.6 patch notes for fishing, to help update your fishing guide:
    Fishing
    • Fixed an issue where a rare fish in Stros M'kai could not be caught using appropriate bait.
    • You can now filet non-trophy fish that you catch into fish meat.
    • Trophy fish that previously had no sale value are now worth something to merchants.
    PC/NA/DC
  • DarthRupert
    DarthRupert
    ✭✭✭
    Just updated the site with Update 6 info and a few other small changes.
    Sorry for my absence. I've been juggling a lot of stuff over the last few weeks. I'm hoping to get all the maps up, minus Cyrodiil, before Update 6 goes live. As well as have any changes to the current site content ready to be posted for Update 6.

This is a pretty awesome guide! Very comprehensive and complete. I hope you don't mind that we snuck something new into fishing for Update 6 - it should be a nice perk to being an avid fisher, at least. :)
    Haha not at all, I've found the addition rather refreshing. I do hope the method for turning fish into ingredients can be changed slightly; just so my finger doesn't fall off skinning my horde of fish.
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @DarthRupert: your guide is awesome, great job! :)
    I'd like to see more maps in the future, especially for the rare locations like Foul Water in Deshaan or Saltwater in Cyrodiil.
    Wololo.
  • Komma
    Komma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finished my fishing. Loved the addon. It was VERY helpful! =D
    Kohma Kozzy-cr160-Stamblade
    Komma-cr160-Magicblade
    Komma the Great-cr160-Stam DK
    Kommah-cr160-Mag DK
    Komma Kozzy-cr160-Mag Templar
    Kommuh Kozzy-cr160-Stam Templar
    Komma the White-cr160-Mag Sorc