The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Stuttering

TGiordano92
TGiordano92
✭✭✭
I have a 144hz G-Sync 1080p monitor, 780ti GPU, 17-4790 CPU, 16gb of ram, SSD, windows 8.1
I get this random stutter/jump/hitch or whatever you want to call it every 10-20 seconds or so. It is slight but noticeable. I have everything maxed, no vsync on I am using gsync, it happens with and without any of those options on.

Help?

I have tried core parking, setting high priority, closing launcher, etc.
We have contacted our Customer support team to help you solve your issue.
  • TGiordano92
    TGiordano92
    ✭✭✭
    anyone?
  • ZOS_PierreL
    ZOS_PierreL
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello,

We have created a ticket especially for you, @TGiordano92 . Our team will contact you as soon as possible to investigate your issue and find a solution to this problem. Thank you.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Social Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • oldskool2485
    oldskool2485
    ✭✭
    Exactly the same thing here. I have tried absolutely everything. Everything. I believe it is due to the poor multithreading of the game (almost everything running on one core). I don't think there is anything we can do on our end but if you manage to find a solution let us know on here and help me get my sanity back.
  • Llithyia
    Llithyia
    Soul Shriven
    Problem due to the poor optimisation on CPU multicore Usage.

I DONTrecommand this if you are not familiar with BIOS, but turning down Intel C-State will correct the problem on High end PC configuration.

I repeat : DO NOT do it if you are not familliar with BIOS. Turning down C-State make CPU energy used higher and will increase a bit the temperature of your CPU.

On my config ( i7 5930k and GTX 780 ) it really improve the performance in game.

For more info about this, i redirect you on the originaly thread in Tamriel Foundry :
    http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/eso-performance-discussion-details-from-beta/

Extract of stuttering discussion :

"ESO FPS Stuttering:

As this thread and the following posts note ESO does not use CPU’s in an optimal manner. Consequently on some older model CPUs (and some newer) improper thread parking and sleeping can occur and some windows versions will allow ESO to pass work to other threads which aren’t in a fully ready state. When this hand off occurs with core work ESO will stutter for a moment. If you experience stuttering you should review the below list and try the different fixes which make the most sense for your situation.

Potential ways to fix FPS stuttering in ESO:

Edit C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\liveUserSettings.txt and update SET RequestedNumJobThreads “0″. “0” can fix the problem on older model CPUs because it effectively blocks ESO from passing off core work to another thread (there for blocking the stutter from occurring).
    Upgrading to Windows 8.1 can often times fix FPS stuttering in ESO problem because Windows 8.1 handles thread management much better.
    A proper CPU overclock or even simply disabling thread parking in the bios can fix the issue by disabling threads from being in sub-optimal states for work (but will raise power usage and consequently heat production from your system).
    If you have any map mods ensure they are behaving correctly and NOT creating way too many nodes to the extent that your mod is slowing down your client.

"

CPU parking = Intel C-State On

I hope it will help you
    Millenium Guild- PvP
    DOOM Guild - PvE
  • KBKB
    KBKB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lawl I remember a thread where a CS rep told someone;

"Your BIOS is out dated update it" which is a lot riskier and deadly than that!

And then said nothing more, after myself and some others hit our caps locks and said DON'T along with telling the rep you can't throw out "update your BIOS yo" lightly the thread mysteriously vanished .

Nice to see you thought out your response before telling people to screw around with that stuff.
  • kwisatz
    kwisatz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday I posted about the same issue in another thread.

Strangely, the same day I went to Cyrodiil and had the best experience ever : everything running smooth, no lag, no crash, no fps drop, and... no stuttering, although it was very unpleasant playing PvE.

So weird...
  • TGiordano92
    TGiordano92
    ✭✭✭
    It is very annoying. I am waiting for reply from tech support now. Thanks for all the suggestions and replies everyone.
  • oldskool2485
    oldskool2485
    ✭✭
    Turned off all the C-states. Hasn't made a difference. I've tried all sorts of different in-game settings, and different settings in the Nvidia control panel. Still with this annoying hitch/jerk every few seconds.

As so many people have the same issue, it is clearly the game itself and not our hardware. I can only pray to Talos that a future update will cure this, but I won't hold my breath!
  • TGiordano92
    TGiordano92
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope it is fixed if its not something on our end. I am currently talking with tech support still and trying at least. If I cannot fix it I might stop playing until it is fixed.
  • TGiordano92
    TGiordano92
    ✭✭✭
    I did a test on my end. I limited my fps to 40 from the usersettings.txt, I usually get 70+ fps where I was testing. And whenever I would stutter my fps would drop to like 37.5 from the 40. I tested again when I limited my fps to 50 and when I would stutter I would drop down to 47.5ish fps. So it doesnt matter what my fps was i would always drop down a few. even if I limited it to 15fps. I really do not know what this means, but maybe could provide some insight to someone that might know. Thanks.
  • TGiordano92
    TGiordano92
    ✭✭✭
    Tried with V-sync, G-sync and no sync on with same results.
  • TGiordano92
    TGiordano92
    ✭✭✭
    Update: I tried skyrim on my computer and it also had stutter, less stutter but still did it sometimes.

I then fired up my gaming laptop and ran ESO, and it stuttered on there as well.

I have no idea what is going on.
  • oldskool2485
    oldskool2485
    ✭✭
    Frustrating isn't it? We spend an obscene amount of money on high-end hardware only for games like this to not run smoothly.
  • Inordinate
    I'm getting something similar, I think; not "stuttering," exactly, but all the NPCs will freeze for 10-20 seconds (as much as 90 seconds, sometimes), then suddenly zip around as if they never stopped.

I can't fight effectively, because it happens in the middle of the fight, and when it starts again, I'm dead. I can't even turn in some quests, because it will happen during the dialogue and it won't let me choose the option to move forward, I have to exit out and start over. Some times, the quest NPC isn't even there; the white marker is on my compass and map, but there is no NPC there until I log out and back in.

This is NOT on my end; I maintain 60+ FPS on high settings and my Internet latency on every other game I play is <50 ms.
  • RWYDRYCKb14_ESO
    RWYDRYCKb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    This is happening with me as well. Seems to be very common but most just tend to try to play through while awaiting a response from ESO in terms of a fix. Drive me crazy though. Please ESO fix this before my eyes begin to stutter as a self-help fix.
  • Elf_Boy
    Elf_Boy
    ✭✭✭
    I know I am coming in late and havnt read every single word.

Are you on WiFI or Ethernet?

What kind of Modem?

What kind of Router?

What ISP and specific type of service.

Who and what else is on your network and have you logged into your router to verify this info?

-edit for spelling-
    Edited by Elf_Boy on November 2, 2014 9:56PM
    ** Asus Crosshair VI Hero, Ryzen 1800x, 64GB DDR4 @ 3000, GTX 1080 ti, 4K Samsung 3d Display m.2 Sata 3 Boot Drive, m.2 x4 nvme Game Drive **
  • Elf_Boy
    Elf_Boy
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly the same thing here. I have tried absolutely everything. Everything. I believe it is due to the poor multithreading of the game (almost everything running on one core). I don't think there is anything we can do on our end but if you manage to find a solution let us know on here and help me get my sanity back.

I have forced multi-threading at both the Nvidia control panel and the games .ini

I have the Logitech ARX software installed and can see CPU/GPU utilization in real time. I'm see the load fairly well spread out with no 1 core maxing out (except during load screens)

I did use a utility a few months back to force windows 8.1 to never park my CPU cores. Have you tried that?

I'm not seeing the stutter. Not saying it isnt happening - just doesn't seem to affect me. So lets compare systems and OS -- see what is different.
    ** Asus Crosshair VI Hero, Ryzen 1800x, 64GB DDR4 @ 3000, GTX 1080 ti, 4K Samsung 3d Display m.2 Sata 3 Boot Drive, m.2 x4 nvme Game Drive **
  • TGiordano92
    TGiordano92
    ✭✭✭
    Elf_Boy wrote: »

What kind of Modem?

What kind of Router?

Who and what else is on your network and have you logged into your router to verify this info?

-edit for spelling-

I am using ethernet cat6

xfinity XB3 modem

netgear nighthawk router

Comcast

only me on network, one computer, unless I boot up my laptop.
    Edited by TGiordano92 on November 3, 2014 3:04AM
  • TGiordano92
    TGiordano92
    ✭✭✭
    Wondering if a complete refresh of windows would do any good?
  • Elf_Boy
    Elf_Boy
    ✭✭✭

What kind of Modem?

What kind of Router?

-edit for spelling-

I am using ethernet cat6

xfinity XB3 modem

netgear nighthawk router

Comcast

only me on network, one computer, unless I boot up my laptop.

Nice router

I dont suppose you have another docsys 3 modem handy? I'm reading that the XB3 is 'sensitive' and can be knocked off the network easily. I'm going by some searched up threads so I dont know how accurate it is - might be worth checking out if another cpe is handy.

Is wifi enabled? Though rare in my experience I have found sometimes neighbors -even those who dont seem the type- are not opposed to getting free internet off someone.

I remember one lady who just never got why having 52 other people (actively - like right at the time) using her internet was bad for her speed.
  • Inordinate
    I remember one lady who just never got why having 52 other people (actively - like right at the time) using her internet was bad for her speed.

With my Internet speed, even that shouldn't matter, and they would have to be hiding in holes in the forest to be in range of my wifi.
  • sean.plackerb14_ESO
    sean.plackerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen the same thing lately as well. Thankfully its not frequent enough on my system to ruin the gameplay, but its def noticeable. In my experience it seems to be something with loading in data, cause it happens the most when riding my horse from one area to another. I haven't had this problem before update 5, and actually overall performance seems a bit better to me other than this stuttering thing.

i5 3570k @ 4.2Ghz
    24GB RAM
    4GB GTX 770
    ESO installed on SSD
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Edited by sean.plackerb14_ESO on November 4, 2014 8:30PM
    @sean8102 - Carlore - Daggerfall Covenant
  • oldskool2485
    oldskool2485
    ✭✭
    Game still stutters after today's update.
  • Inordinate
    It's just enough that I can make it to the end boss of a dungeon, if I am lucky, but the boss fight is pretty much guaranteed to be long enough that it will happen, and I invariably die.

Not good.
  • oldskool2485
    oldskool2485
    ✭✭
    How are they ever going to get this game running well on the PS4 and Xbox One's 1.6ghz CPU cores? When the damn game chugs along on a 4.6ghz i7.

Some serious optimization needed there, which I can only hope finds it's way on to the PC version.
  • TGiordano92
    TGiordano92
    ✭✭✭
    Yup still stuttering. I do notice it more as well when I am riding my horse.
  • oldskool2485
    oldskool2485
    ✭✭
    I even put the game down to absolute minimum settings, making it look like a ps2 game. And it still stutters!! :(
  • TGiordano92
    TGiordano92
    ✭✭✭
    I did the same thing. It is actually worse now. I drop like 10-20fps now when it stutters and before it was only 5-10. All of my friends experience the same thing as well. They are mad at me because I made them realize it.
  • banzaigtv
    banzaigtv
    I've been trying to figure out why fps drops in the 40s in towns and 55 fps elsewhere with settings on ultra. I disabled CPU hyperthreading and it seemed to have improved the fps performance. Turning settings down to high also improved performance. And when I changed the resolution from 1920x1080 to 2880x1620, same fps. And all of this with the GPU usage at various levels and not being maxed. I can run Battlefield 4 maxed @ 60 fps, but not this game??? This game needs to be more CPU multithreading optimized. :(

i7-4790k
    8 GB RAM
    GTX 970
    Windows 8.1
    Edited by banzaigtv on November 8, 2014 6:27PM
  • DeaconFrost
    DeaconFrost
    ✭✭
    Disabled all out of date addons and my stuttering stopped completely. Can't say it's the problem for everyone but it was for me.