Here's Help For My Fellow Templars

Vatter
Vatter
✭✭✭✭✭
So I have lost all confidence in ZoS and now know that they will never fix the many many many exploits and bugs that infest this game simply because they just don't know how to or simply don't care.

I mean lets face it, its a better decision to ignore the current player who has already paid the $60+ and is now only paying the $15 a month and focus on the new player who has to pay $60 to start up. That's 300% more profit. Best part is who cares if you quit. Zos doesn't have to refund any of your money. That's why you get the generic "thanks for playing, come back soon!" message. ZoS as a company has 0 liability.

Thats why we are seeing the same old bugs and exploits patch after patch after patch. ZoS doesn't dedicate the man power to fix them or even test their patches. Their strategy is to milk as much money as possible before taking it ftp. It's a very popular business model we are seeing with mmo's.

So that being said, The end game content cyrodiil has become a free for all with who has the best exploits and who can take advantage of the bugs currently in the game. I've seen people exploit since launch and have had no action taken against them. So i thought i'd share some things to my fellow templars that will help you survive cyrodiil against these broken mechanics.

survivability is a key problem we are experiencing because of the damage bugs with lethal arrow, fragments, etc. People are exploding from 100% to 0% in less then 3 secs due to a combo of lag, animation desyncs, health bar desyncs, buffed damaged bugs and macro animation cancels. So trying to stay alive while inflicting damage is your biggest problem.

But I have a solution for you. Here is my build.

High elf vampire templar

49 points in magicka (because it improves your spell damage and healing abilities)

7 light armor ( the passives for magicka reduction cost and regen are important)
- 5 pieces of warlock set (for the magicka regen and magicka infusion)
- 5 pieces of the seducer set (for magicka regen and 8% magicka cost reduction)

Restoration staff for both bars (for the +10% damage, +5% healing and magicka regen while blocking)

Bar #1
1. toppling charge (its an awful skill because it stuns you for as long as it stuns your target. but its a gap closer. I'll explain why this is important later)

2. Blazing shield (gives you +30% health and returns 58% of damage taken to nearby players)

3. Harness magicka ( gives you a shield, reduces incoming spell damage by 50% and gives magicka back based on how many pieces of light armor you are wearing)

4. Elusive mist (reduces 75% of incoming damage. the invulnerability to control effects is broken but you get a speed boost)

5. Aurora javelin (knocks down target and damage is increased by up to 40% depending on distance from target)

Ultimate - Devouring swarm (on top of doing massive aoe damage you get massive health back for each target hit)

Bar #2
1. Puncturing sweep (its broken. but you get 40% damage done returned as health and at the end the target is knocked back and it doesn't trigger a stun immunity. so spamming this will lock people in place. I don't recommend spamming this though and I'll explain why later.)

2. Spiked bone shield (gives you +2500 armor and returns damage to melee attackers.) mine is only at II and returns 34% damage.

3. Breath of life (instant heal that heals multiple people if there are any around you)

4. Purifying ritual (removes 5 negative effects at rank IV and gives a 75 point light heal every 2 secs)

5. Blazing shield (see bar 1 for info)

Ultimate - Devouring swarm (see bar 1 for info)

Enchantments -
All pieces of armor are health enchanted. (doing this should give you 2500+ health with food outside of cyrodill if you have the emperor buff and you will be above 3k health inside cyrodiil. this is important because this means your blazing shield will give a 900+ point shield. very important)

Necklace - kuta fire resist (as a vampire you take +50% more fire damage. this reduces it to 25%)

Ring 1 - kuta armor enchant (+600 armor)
Ring 2 - kuta armor enchant (+600 armor)
(the armor is to help with your melee damage mitigations. light armor is weak in this aspect so its really important to have these. With these enchants you get 110% more armor I'll explain why its so important later)

Food - is +health and +stamina (need stamina for breaking free and sneaking. With the vr5 food your stamina will be at 1500)

Mundus- the mage for the +5% magicka

At this point you will be over the soft cap for armor and spell resistance and close to the soft cap for magicka and magicka regen.

Bar #1 is your ranged bar
Bar #2 is your melee/heal bar

You may ask why I have some of the same skills on both bars. Its because the weapon swap in this game is pure trash and doesn't work half the time.

Scenario #1
pesky ranged players are the ones doing the most damage now a days. skirt and staff or leather and bow are the most popular. Using bar #1 is the best way to go.

they will be afraid of your blazing shield. it's a popular tactic to move away from a sunshield templar. funny part is if no one is there to absorb the damage it just stacks. for example. a macro sorc fully crit powered and glass cannon build tries to range mow me down. I keep blazing shield up while i throw javelins and heavy attacks. the shield explodes over and over. no one is there taking the damage. after about the 5th or 6th explosion I pop it one more time and hit toppling charge. the gap is instantly closed and when the shield explodes its does 3k+ damage for a one shot kill :wink: no more sorc.

the same can be done with bow players as well :smiley:

Scenario #2
Dragon knights are the most fond of exploiting the eternal root or knockdown bug. Or you might just go against one who is playing sword and board or have a ranged player switch to sword and board or simply get jumped by a night blade. In this case bar #2 is the best.

Example - I'm in cyrodiil doing the dailies to max out skills when this dual wield night blade jumps me. I immediately cc break (as long as you don't get bugged out) pop blazing shield and spiked bone shield. then emoted /laugh. Why? because the combo of these 2 skills returns 92% of the damage he inflicts on me back to him. They usually throw marked target on you which bypasses your mitigations but it also bypasses theirs. He literally killed himself. :blush:

Dragon knights are usually sword and board. they will shield bash knock you down then talon root you then spam whip. happens 99% of the time. If this happens simply CC break, hit blazing shield for the extra health, hit purifying ritual for some extra heals and cleanse of the talons. then use a combo of light attacks and puncturing sweep. the sweep will return 40% damage inflicted back as health and with the +10% damage to blocking targets he won't be able to keep up with you. :wink:

If at any point i am low on health during these types of fights I just hit my breath of life and with the passives from resto staff and temp healing line and no debuffs I heal to 100% health. If I see that I am debuffed I just hit my purifying ritual and hit breath of life again. back to 100%. :smiley:

Scenario #3
Your there, fighting a straggler who wandered to far from the zerg and here they come. the impulse noob train. a block of players who couldn't cut it solo so they banded together and wander around spamming impulse and holding block. No problem. Bar 1 works just fine.

Pop harness magicka and elusive mist. they stack :smiley: your mitigations goes through the roof and you get a speed buff to try and slip away. you will get taloned. you will get impulsed. You might need to hit the elusive mist a few times but 1 of 2 things will happen. 1. the zerg train will swallow you up and sh*t you out the back. in which case you will be able to slip away. or 2. they stop to focus on you and hopefully get murdered by the gaggle of noobs behind you.

Scenario #4
You get stuck fighting ranged and melee at the same time. It happens. with small gank groups roaming around it is inevitable that you will run into these. best bet is bar #1.
you will need to alternate between harness magic and blazing shield while using your javelin to give you breaks and dps. This will be a magicka burn. Thats why the passives from light armor and the warlock and seducer set are best.

If at any point you are running low on magicka. pop harness magicka and elusive mist and let them light you up. Because the 2 stack, any non fire spell damage is mitigated 100%. The melee attacker is what will wear down your harness magicka shield. That is why you have the armor enchants to mitigate this damage so you can regain as much magicka back from the shield as possible. with the magicka regen you get from your armor AND passives AND the harness magicka, doing this just once will return 70-80% of your magicka (based on a magicka pool of 2500)

If it gets where you can't win, just pop harness magicka and spam elusive mist for the mitigations and speed buff until you get away. Occasionally you will get a sorc who streak follows you. just spam elusive mist until your at a safe distance from the other enemies then see scenario #1. delicious.

I would avoid the following skills as a templar in pvp.

1. spamming puncturing sweep. this skill has a cast time and leaves you open to cc. I have noticed a lot of times it will miss the target completely or while i cast it the target will simply roll away.

2. dark flare or any morph of it - its a nice 40% healing debuff but the skill is broken and the +55 weapon and spell power doesn't work.

3. evil hunter or any morph of it and puncturing sweep or any morph of it. puncturing sweep doesn't proc the evil hunter bonus damage. Same goes for spear shards. This is a great example of why you will never be able to be on par with other dps classes who run trials without switching to a destro staff.

4. spell symmetry - the mage guilds "might of the guild" passive doesn't work properly. it also nerfs your resto passive damage buff because it eats your health

In general -
I wouldn't use vampires bane, dark flare, or spear shards because they are slow and can be easily avoided.

I wouldn't use unstable core either because if the target has cc immunity the ability will not be cast on them.

I wouldn't use anything that has a long cast time or requires you to stay in one place. (thats the easiest way to get murdered)

I hope this thread helps my struggling templar brethren. Any questions just ask.

-Doc
  • Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My one honest question is why Why is this mostly PvP oriented guide in the PvE section? Simple mistake, but still...
    I play every class in every situation. I love them all.
    Options
  • ZOS_SandraF
    Greetings, everyone!

We wanted to let you know that we've moved this thread from the "PvE Discussion - English" forum to the "Combat & Skill Lines - English" forum.

Thank you!
    The Elder Scrolls Online Social Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Francescolg
    Francescolg
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good build, pretty much what any pvp-templar is playing nowadays because of the lack of other possibilities to be effective in pvp.. :neutral_face:

You'd do better with:
    • A DoT (Vampire Bane or Structured Entropy), good vs stealthers, good vs other classes healing mechanics, good for even faster Ultimate Reggen (!)
    • Blazing Spear (spammable, can take vamps out of Mist Form, little but ultimate-reggen effective AE!
    • IMO, you do NOT need armor-enchantments if using shields regularly (see tamrielfoundry forum for further evidence on shields + armor mitigation) + immovable
    • You do not need a fire resis.-enchantment if you're already over/near the soft cap of magic resistances) (see forums for more informations)
    • I would include a HoT because of faster Ultimate Reggen (when you can heal others, of course, by not de-stealthing realm-mates
    • Leave javelin/spear out - too situational, often unreliable skills, the "throwed spear" is too mana-expensive
    • Include Immovable
    • Purge instead of or + ritual (I love the healing-passive too, but purge immediately helps others around you and removes CCs more reliable than ritual, which does not (!) always help (unfortunately)

Only problem with this build are assassins (NB) abusing unbreakable-CC / perma-CC. I hope Zenimax will fix unbreakability of CCs soon.
    Expect a nurf to blazing shield in 1.5 or even immediately :(
    Edited by Francescolg on September 7, 2014 1:54PM
    Options
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Few things.

Aurora Javelin is really quite terrible, and since you're already using Toppling Charge I wouldn't use Binding Javelin either.

Shields do not benefit from mitigation, they always take full damage. So stacking armour isn't going to do much if you're going to spam Blazing Shield/Harness Magicka.

Elemental resistances share the same caps as spell resistance/armour, so if you're already capped out they have little/no effect. Also, Vampiric fire weakness is applied after resistances are considered, so you will always take 50% more damage even if you're maxed out on resistance.

Finally, please don't abuse the Blazing Shield bug.
    Options
  • dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change arora javelin to blazing spear and I can get behind this. Also need puncturing sweep in there its just so good. Perhaps I'll try going armor enchant but that means I need to farm more warlock. Currently I go 3 spellpwoer and same gear. I can heal as no prob and also be bad ass PvP.
    Options
  • Drjones501
    Why would you start such a good build post with such speculative nonsense? I have played more than my share of mmo's and have realized two things.
    1. ALL games have bugs
    2. Too many people think they know the designers "master plan".

Come on man, lighten up and put all that knowledge on builds to good use, and try enjoying yourself.
    Hasek
    V13 Templar healer
    Mawlbrung
    46 Night Blade Vampy
    Assassin Brotherhood, DC NA server
    Options
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [*] Purge instead of or + ritual (I love the healing-passive too, but purge immediately helps others around you and removes CCs more reliable than ritual, which does not (!) always help (unfortunately)

If you're running around solo than Purifying Ritual is better tho. It's cheaper, has a HoT and proc's focused healing. Our selfish purge.

Efficient Purge for large groups of course. But I dislike the idea of having the Templar being the purge minion of the raid. We have such unique heal- and support skills. Why have us waste our limited magicka on spamming purge?

Yet, every time I join a public group, I end up being the purge attendant.:angry:
    I really don't have a choice, because I can't use heals when everyone is diseased.
    Options
  • Baphomet
    Baphomet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they will be afraid of your blazing shield. it's a popular tactic to move away from a sunshield templar. funny part is if no one is there to absorb the damage it just stacks. for example. a macro sorc fully crit powered and glass cannon build tries to range mow me down. I keep blazing shield up while i throw javelins and heavy attacks. the shield explodes over and over. no one is there taking the damage. after about the 5th or 6th explosion I pop it one more time and hit toppling charge. the gap is instantly closed and when the shield explodes its does 3k+ damage for a one shot kill

That is actually not quite how the bug works, but close ;)

Not sure I should give it away here though. The problem is that in certain combat situations you will inevitably trigger the bug even if you're not trying to do it.

Also, the bug seems harder to trigger these days for some reason.
    - The Psijic Order
    - TKO
    - Dominant Dominion
    - The Noore
    Options
  • Vatter
    Vatter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baphomet wrote: »
    they will be afraid of your blazing shield. it's a popular tactic to move away from a sunshield templar. funny part is if no one is there to absorb the damage it just stacks. for example. a macro sorc fully crit powered and glass cannon build tries to range mow me down. I keep blazing shield up while i throw javelins and heavy attacks. the shield explodes over and over. no one is there taking the damage. after about the 5th or 6th explosion I pop it one more time and hit toppling charge. the gap is instantly closed and when the shield explodes its does 3k+ damage for a one shot kill

That is actually not quite how the bug works, but close ;)

Not sure I should give it away here though. The problem is that in certain combat situations you will inevitably trigger the bug even if you're not trying to do it.

Also, the bug seems harder to trigger these days for some reason.

thats exactly how the bug works try it. pick a casting target and let them range tag you then do it just like i said
    Options
  • Tamanous
    Tamanous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ROFL!

Here's the universal solution to your class problems!

WEAR SKIRT AND STICK AND BECOME A VAMPIRE!

God damn this game is getting sad. Vatter has also been trolling these forums since last night necro'ing posts and now this troll post.
    Edited by Tamanous on September 13, 2014 7:24PM
    Options
  • Rainingblood
    Rainingblood
    ✭✭✭
    Just curious... Isn't it more beneficial to put skill points into HP and enchant for magicka since you get 15 health per point as opposed to 10 magicka per point?
    Phoebe Anderson
    Options
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious... Isn't it more beneficial to put skill points into HP and enchant for magicka since you get 15 health per point as opposed to 10 magicka per point?

Health enchants are 50% better than stamina and magicka enchants so it boils down to the same thing.
    Options
  • Roselle
    Roselle
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good build, pretty much what any pvp-templar is playing nowadays because of the lack of other possibilities to be effective in pvp.. :neutral_face:

What? Templar is very versatile. I thought about this some time (I had about 15min to spare) and I have pictures to better express how I feel towards this statement.

21o4rqa.jpg Translation: Roselle is giving you (her phone) the WTFimamusedbutnotreally look

htfhj4.jpg Translation: Nvm the look in the previous pic, Roselle now just believes she can fly.

:) Seriously though, if you feel you are conforming too much, there are plenty of support spells not being nearly as utilized as they should be. Apply them to your off bar and help people out.

I like seeing mystic orb and I will stop what I'm doing to run and combust it for manas!
    This one was rekt by Zenimax
    Options
  • Rainingblood
    Rainingblood
    ✭✭✭

Health enchants are 50% better than stamina and magicka enchants so it boils down to the same thing.

Cool thanks!
    Phoebe Anderson
    Options
  • Rainingblood
    Rainingblood
    ✭✭✭
    Roselle wrote: »

What? Templar is very versatile. I thought about this some time (I had about 15min to spare) and I have pictures to better express how I feel towards this statement.

:) Seriously though, if you feel you are conforming too much, there are plenty of support spells not being nearly as utilized as they should be. Apply them to your off bar and help people out.

I like seeing mystic orb and I will stop what I'm doing to run and combust it for manas!

I see from first pic: You lift.
    I see from second pic: Side-boob.

;P
    Edited by Rainingblood on September 15, 2014 2:31PM
    Phoebe Anderson
    Options
  • pez8897nub19_ESO
    I'm not wearing light armor, don't use a staff and not a vampire but I just want to test my build in pvp. There are some anchors there that need to be closed.
    I skimmed through some of your post and found a few helpful mentions though, thanks.

Can anyone (with mods) verify what dark flare actually does? I know it still increases the damage somewhat just don't know to what extent.

Options
  • Roselle
    Roselle
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see from first pic: You lift.
    I see from second pic: Side-boob.

;P

Perhaps I just want to be Peter Pan...with boobs...

...while pvping!

/canmultitask
    Options
  • Francescolg
    Francescolg
    ✭✭✭✭
    :) Seriously though, if you feel you are conforming too much

Nice Post Roselle, I very much appreciate you "free wings pics".. :) That's my philosophy but when I play "professionally" my templar, I end up with Rememberance and on "how to fastly reggen AP" + staying "movable" and protected.
    Blazing shield is actually too good to be left apart, it helps in so many situations, especially when beeing "jumped" by AE-spammers/vampires/gankers. Once, immovable helped out but actually I prefer blazing-shield + purge/ritual. Instant healing does not help vs skilled NBs, after a break free you are armor + heal debuffed.
    To combat all forms of Heal-Debuff (meatbag, weapon enchants, etc.) I often miss purge. People are told to use it but non-healer classes often forget to use purge for healing-debuffs, therefore if I don't have purge, my heals often do nothing :neutral_face:

If you play on EU-server, feel free to fight a round with us.
    You can heal a complete raid with a templar but that specs make you highly group depended.
    Options
  • Mojomonkeyman
    Mojomonkeyman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How aweful are you, OP?

Trying to justify a build consisting of the most abusive & bugged skills ever (which are used to a great extend by templars as well as any other class) with preemptively declaring that all the big bad other classes force you to.

Do you debate with that attitude in real life as well? I mean you can justify anything with it...
    Koma Grey, Chocolate Thunder, Little Mojo, Dagoth Mojo & Mojomancy
    Options
  • manny254
    manny254
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I love how everyone thinks templars need bat swarm, but templars actually have one of the best ulti's for group pvp.
    - Mojican
    Options
  • KleanZlate
    KleanZlate
    ✭✭✭
    (Quietly making notes for my NB to use against Templars)

Please continue ;)
    Options
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My only concerns are Templars in PvE as things other than healers
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
    Options
  • Francescolg
    Francescolg
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trying to justify a build consisting of the most abusive & bugged skills ever (which are used to a great extend by templars as well as any other class) with preemptively declaring that all the big bad other classes force you to.

I'm sorry but you are somethat wrong: A templar Vampire is not the problem in this game and nether has been.
    The problem are the other classes as vampires (sorcerers streaking, reflective scales, etc. etc.).

The "weirdest" vampire-templar build would include the other morph of the vampire ultimate + putting up oil, while staying alive. That spec is maybe the strongest vs. pugs: 1. Shields on, 2. Vampire ulti, 3. Put up oil, 4. Recast shields+heals 5.Oil again. (that is not only done by templars)

Vampires are not the problem, neither are templars (the pidgeons in PvP) because of the lack of any meaningful AE-dmg, or AE-CC. The problem is and always have been mages + DKs and even NBs specific skills, than work fine combined with Vampire skills, generate too much ultimates or make them unkillable, as well as too much group-CC.
    Templars blazing shield is nowhere as powerful as the "come back" reflective scales and many other seemingly unbalanced abilities of other classes. Some necessary nurfs have been included in 1.4.

Try a templar + vampire: we are not the problem!
    Options
  • booksmcread
    booksmcread
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry but you are somethat wrong: A templar Vampire is not the problem in this game and nether has been.
    The problem are the other classes as vampires (sorcerers streaking, reflective scales, etc. etc.).

The "weirdest" vampire-templar build would include the other morph of the vampire ultimate + putting up oil, while staying alive. That spec is maybe the strongest vs. pugs: 1. Shields on, 2. Vampire ulti, 3. Put up oil, 4. Recast shields+heals 5.Oil again. (that is not only done by templars)

Vampires are not the problem, neither are templars (the pidgeons in PvP) because of the lack of any meaningful AE-dmg, or AE-CC. The problem is and always have been mages + DKs and even NBs specific skills, than work fine combined with Vampire skills, generate too much ultimates or make them unkillable, as well as too much group-CC.
    Templars blazing shield is nowhere as powerful as the "come back" reflective scales and many other seemingly unbalanced abilities of other classes. Some necessary nurfs have been included in 1.4.

Try a templar + vampire: we are not the problem!

I think the commenter was referring to the OP telling people to exploit a broken mechanic with Blazing Shield.
    Options
  • Francescolg
    Francescolg
    ✭✭✭✭
    ..I have pictures to better express how I feel...

IMAG0733.jpg
    I tried too - first I thought my freelancer build would work but after wiping the whole group because I wasn't healing enough with Rapid Regen/Mutagen and my imba group heal - I landed in the water - so I went back to my strategy: "how to reggen Rememberance in 5-10 seconds. Beside that, I stopped honoring the dead and went back to healing springs + breath of life for more AP reggen and effective burst heal, or how not to safe just one guys a.. :disappointed:

Later on, I saw some guys rescuing an heroic NB who never runs away when he can not immediately gank you! *cough cough:
    2frankfurter1offenbacher-1.jpg

And here (until last patch) you see my Templar in working horse-form somewhere near Sejanus waiting for enemies :smiley: (I loved this bug)
    Screenshot_20140907_064320.png
    Edited by Francescolg on September 18, 2014 9:34AM
    Options
  • Roselle
    Roselle
    ✭✭✭✭
    ..I have pictures to better express how I feel...

IMAG0733.jpg
    I tried too - first I thought my freelancer build would work but after wiping the whole group because I wasn't healing enough with Rapid Regen/Mutagen and my imba group heal - I landed in the water - so I went back to my strategy: "how to reggen Rememberance in 5-10 seconds. Beside that, I stopped honoring the dead and went back to healing springs + breath of life for more AP reggen and effective burst heal, or how not to safe just one guys a.. :disappointed:

Later on, I saw some guys rescuing an heroic NB who never runs away when he can not immediately gank you! *cough cough:
    2frankfurter1offenbacher-1.jpg

And here (until last patch) you see my Templar in working horse-form somewhere near Sejanus waiting for enemies :smiley: (I loved this bug)
    Screenshot_20140907_064320.png

I love you.
    Options