The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

"What should I do when…"

Nihili
Nihili
✭✭✭
I was thinking we could make a constructive thread with tips for the newbies that we all could use :P I know there are some pretty cray players that post on the forums.
So how about we make a couple of posts here about what people should do when… x happens. It can be either PvP or PvE orientated, no matter.

I myself have a couple of questions, like: "What should I do when I'm using a range build (like a sorcerer) on a DK who uses reflective scales?"

Do you guys have any tips you guys want to give to players?
My tips: "When you're 'rooted' by burning/dark talons, you can escape by rolling (dodging) by tapping any direction twice." (Might be obvious to some players, but I never realized this until really late)
"If you want to enter Coldharbor but haven't finished the main story, get in a group with someone who can get into it, and then use 'travel to player'. You should be able to get there early then."

I'm hoping this kicks off and becomes a resourceful thread for the community!
  • kimboh
    kimboh
    ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Sorc v reflective scales.
    Use cc, AOE or mages fury.
    Scales reflects projectiles, but fury(lightning) and AOEs are not projectiles.
    When I see a DK cast RS I usually spam mages fury a few times.
    <l Cygnus X|VR14|Sorc l>
    <| Romulus Prime|VR12|Temp |>
    <| Qwoptus |lvl30|DK|>
    <| DC|EU |>
  • bluesodafizz
    bluesodafizz
    ✭✭✭
    There are sub-sections here for new player questions as well as player guides (both of which are much more organized than the hodgepodge of information this is likely to become) If I were a new player I would not go scrolling though a long thread to find something that happens to be relevant to me, I would go and ask my specific question in new player area, or I would check for a guide in the guide area.

Here is a link for where to post new player Questions:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/categories/EN-new-players

Here is a link for where to post player made guides:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/categories/EN-player-guides
  • smeeprocketnub19_ESO
    smeeprocketnub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever I see a DK I either run away or just sigh and try to get him to use GDB at least once before he kills me.
    Dear Sister, I do not spread rumors, I create them.
  • thelordoffelines
    thelordoffelines
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kimboh wrote: »
    Re: Sorc v reflective scales.
    Use cc, AOE or mages fury.
    Scales reflects projectiles, but fury(lightning) and AOEs are not projectiles.
    When I see a DK cast RS I usually spam mages fury a few times.

ya dont use mages furry too much. Scales reflects mages furry explosion cuz that's a projectile right? Logic ftw
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nihili wrote: »
    I was thinking we could make a constructive thread with tips for the newbies that we all could use :P I know there are some pretty cray players that post on the forums.
    So how about we make a couple of posts here about what people should do when… x happens. It can be either PvP or PvE orientated, no matter.

I myself have a couple of questions, like: "What should I do when I'm using a range build (like a sorcerer) on a DK who uses reflective scales?"

Do you guys have any tips you guys want to give to players?
    My tips: "When you're 'rooted' by burning/dark talons, you can escape by rolling (dodging) by tapping any direction twice." (Might be obvious to some players, but I never realized this until really late)
    "If you want to enter Coldharbor but haven't finished the main story, get in a group with someone who can get into it, and then use 'travel to player'. You should be able to get there early then."

I'm hoping this kicks off and becomes a resourceful thread for the community!
    I went to C.H. on a lvl 9 mule 'toon by 'travel to player' to get myself unstuck.
    No grouping involved.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.
  • Araflin
    Araflin
    ✭✭✭
    When it's late and I read a thread with many acronyms, I post a comment so as to be able to find it easier once I wake and so, give it further attention.
    " Brave Clarice. You will let me know when those Nirnroot stop screaming, won't you?"
  • smeeprocketnub19_ESO
    smeeprocketnub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a lot of advice for people just entering cyrodiil, but that wasn't really asked and I struggle to remember it all at one time.
    Dear Sister, I do not spread rumors, I create them.
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you've only just started the game then pay attention to the following
    • The perks on your skill bar are the only things that level your skills up with the exception of the Mage and Fighters Guild which are based on reading lore books and killing Daedra/Undead, respectively, instead. You can't do much to affect the small killing experience gained but you can shift the skills around before finishing a quest to level skills up much more quickly.
    • Never fill a bar with magic only perks, keep a stamina perk handy in case you need a finishing perk without magic. Also Silver Bolts is, IMO, one of the most useful of these because of its effects on the undead/daedra that infest the game.
    • Change your controls, particularly if you get excited in combat and punch keys while looking at the screen. Weapon Swap, Interrupt and Ultimates are, IMO, badly placed.
    • Use Crowd Control and Teleport Perks to control combat. All the classes have a teleport (the DK's acts on the target rather than the character). In many ways CC is far more important than damage.
    • Develop your Critical chances. A 20% chance of doing a 3xdamage crit is far better than 5% extra damage with every blow.
    • Be patient in combat, plan your attack strategy, stay on the move if the strategy doesn't/can't involve constant CC. (For Instance Inferno Staff heavy attacks with Fire Clench vs Melee, only using Fire Clench to keep them out of melee range)

One of these days I need to concatenate these more carefully with the others that I cant remember right now.

I haven't PVP'd but what I use against NPC DK's with reflect is wait with an inferno staff for them to close and drop it, then fire clench them, or if the skill is high enough impulse them. Fire Clench can be done from the start though.
    Edited by Woolenthreads on September 7, 2014 2:05AM
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When I read the title I started singing The Wonder Years theme song in my head.

Just had to share that .....Carry on
  • Relyk04
    Relyk04
    ✭✭✭
    Don't Occupy your bank space with weapons and armor unless it is end game content. You will likely never revisit the items. Mats and other items that are useful to all alts is more advantageous.
  • ZOS_SandraF
    Greetings, everyone!

We wanted to let you know that we've moved this thread from the "General Discussion - English" forum to the "New Player Questions" forum.

Thank you!
    The Elder Scrolls Online Social Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Relyk04 wrote: »
    Don't Occupy your bank space with weapons and armor unless it is end game content. You will likely never revisit the items. Mats and other items that are useful to all alts is more advantageous.

Actually if the PC is a Crafter and it's all about research then they should create Alts to do the research so the items are stripped out of it. They can get the Alt to make a new item with the trait when they need it.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • xChewtoyx
    xChewtoyx
    ✭✭✭

Actually if the PC is a Crafter and it's all about research then they should create Alts to do the research so the items are stripped out of it. They can get the Alt to make a new item with the trait when they need it.

Actually, I would not start crafting on a character you didn't plan on leveling up.
    Some of the trait set crafting locations can only be accessed by finishing certain quest lines.
    I do crafting on my main and use bank alts to hold my pets, trophies etc. and keep mats and hard to find trait pieces for research in the bank.
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    xChewtoyx wrote: »

Actually, I would not start crafting on a character you didn't plan on leveling up.
    Some of the trait set crafting locations can only be accessed by finishing certain quest lines.
    I do crafting on my main and use bank alts to hold my pets, trophies etc. and keep mats and hard to find trait pieces for research in the bank.

The suggestion was not about a crafting character.

You have just described holding the trait item on the mule, rather than freeing up space on them by giving them the ability to construct one for your Main to research at a later date.

The quest lines are irrelevant if the main has done it or will do it and then let the mule research it so that it is available for the Main to research later.

• xChewtoyx
    xChewtoyx
    ✭✭✭

You have just described holding the trait item on the mule, rather than freeing up space on them by giving them the ability to construct one for your Main to research at a later date.

The quest lines are irrelevant if the main has done it or will do it and then let the mule research it so that it is available for the Main to research later.

You said "Actually if the PC is a Crafter" I am a crafter and replied how I prefer to do things.

You didn't pay attention to what I wrote about banking.
    "keep mats and hard to find trait pieces for research in the bank" I don't hold trait items on a mule I hold them in a bank. Also you don't need every single one. Only some of the traits are hard to find.
    The quest lines are not irrelevant if you only want to do crafting on your main ...like I do.
  • LadyInTheWater
    LadyInTheWater
    ✭✭✭
    I always had the question "What should I do when a Sorcerer 3-shots me with Crystal Shard spam?"

I discovered the answer! Avoid Cyrodiil =p
    The moment you call someone stupid, or try to display your opinion as "fact", you lose all credibility.
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭

You said "Actually if the PC is a Crafter" I am a crafter and replied how I prefer to do things.

"keep mats and hard to find trait pieces for research in the bank" I don't hold trait items on a mule I hold them in a bank. Also you don't need every single one. Only some of the traits are hard to find.
    The quest lines are not irrelevant if you only want to do crafting on your main ...like I do.

If you are seriously a crafter then you also know that keeping a multitude of trait items in your bank is a PITA, even keeping to just "Hard to find ones". What I described is a way past that, what you describe simply isn't. Did I read what you wrote? Yes, I just, politely, didn't call you a fool.

I have, currently, on my Main, 4 finished lines of research with several awaiting research to complete so I can start the last one. Not one of those items are in the bank, they are researched on my other Alts ready to be turned into an item as required, freeing up bank space better used for storing more useful items like Runes, Trait Mats and Alchemy mats.

• xChewtoyx
    xChewtoyx
    ✭✭✭

If you are seriously a crafter then you also know that keeping a multitude of trait items in your bank is a PITA, even keeping to just "Hard to find ones". What I described is a way past that, what you describe simply isn't. Did I read what you wrote? Yes, I just, politely, didn't call you a fool.

I have, currently, on my Main, 4 finished lines of research with several awaiting research to complete so I can start the last one. Not one of those items are in the bank, they are researched on my other Alts ready to be turned into an item as required, freeing up bank space better used for storing more useful items like Runes, Trait Mats and Alchemy mats.

I have not had any problems keeping track of my research items.
    You miss-stated what I wrote period, its right there plain as day.
    Not everyone does things the same way. I for instance would say only a fool would research things twice when they could just do it once easily, with a bit of foresight.
    Like I said...To each his own. Try not to take things so personally when someone offers an alternate opinion.
  • xChewtoyx
    xChewtoyx
    ✭✭✭
    Snip-
    If you've only just started the game then pay attention to the following
    • The perks on your skill bar are the only things that level your skills up with the exception of the Mage and Fighters Guild which are based on reading lore books and killing Daedra/Undead, respectively, instead. You can't do much to affect the small killing experience gained but you can shift the skills around before finishing a quest to level skills up much more quickly.

My bold
    The above isn't entirely accurate

Armor- Increase by equipping armor. The more pieces you have slotted the faster it will level up.

Soul magic- Increase by completing chapters in the main quest.

Vampire/Werewolf- Increase by gaining EXP.

Fighter guild- Increase by killing undead/daedra as mentioned and destroying dark anchors.

Undaunted- Increase by completing dungeon achievements.

Alliance war- Increase by increasing your PVP rank.

Racial- Increase by gaining EXP.

Crafting- Increased by creating and deconstructing items related to the craft.

Edit- I just want to make one more suggestion on skills.
    When you are leveling up I would suggest putting at least one ability from all three class skills on your hot-bar. Some folks equip all three pieces of armor at the same time as well. That way you will be leveling all three at the same time.
    Edited by xChewtoyx on September 8, 2014 2:59PM