The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

About to order! Check it out 1.5k gaming build! I will post pics later!

• Swampster
    Swampster
    ✭✭✭
    Just another one to add to the Windows 8.1 is just fine for me crowd... :)

OK the Modern UI is a bit like Marmite in the love/hate stakes, but if you hate it that much get something like Start 8. It's well worth it as the underlying O/S is far lighter, quicker and slicker than Windows 7, and there's quite a few nice refinements too,
    Swampriel - Nightblade (Archer Build) - Ebonheart Pact - Veteran
    Swampess - DragonKnight - Eboheart Pact - Lowbie Faceroller
  • Kaspar
    Kaspar
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind Win 8.1 too much. R-Click on the "Start" button gives a nice jump list to most useful System items and I normally always set up customized Toolbars for the Task Bar for Games, Programs, Utilities, etc. so I hardly ever see the Metro Box screen unless I go searching there.

It boots to the main screen then one button press to log in then it's right to the normal Windows Desktop. That said I do really like the Aero of W7 though.

Some other small naggies are no Media Player so require a third party app for that, and also the whole buy stuff commercialization of the apps accessed through the Metro interface.

Be sure to ignore the sign in with MSN Account though, unless you want that. Seems a bit "snoopy" to me. This can be done by just cancelling when it asks you to do that during installation and you can enter in your own account information as you would normally.

For ESO it seems to play fine on W8.1. I play it over Wi-Fi on the W8.1 computer and in PVE it's fine. It can be a tad laggy in PVP but then again it is over the Wi-Fi and since the recent lag-fixes it plays well using HIGH HIGH rest MED grass off.
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaspar wrote: »
    Some other small naggies are no Media Player so require a third party app for that, and also the whole buy stuff commercialization of the apps accessed through the Metro interface.

You do get Media Player, have you installed it under 'Media Features'?
  • ZOS_LeroyW
    ZOS_LeroyW
    ✭✭
    Hey all. We moved this from General Discussion forums to the Player Questions thread as we feel it is a better fit.
    Staff Post
  • Kaspar
    Kaspar
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I have it installed but it won't play my movie DVD's.
    squicker wrote: »

• raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I have it installed but it won't play my movie DVD's.

Oh yeah, that can be a bit of a pain. MS state that's due to how people consume content now - streaming - plus increased licensing costs for the CODEC. But you have to wonder if it's because they did not want a bundled free DVD player to compete with their own streaming media services...
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pahlehvahn wrote: »
    Alright guys any last comments/changes/tips? Because I'm about to order all this.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z4f3NG

Fantastic PC.

Do not listen to those saying switch to AMD FX. The per core power is pathetic and this game doesn't scale well in multicore CPUs. Battlefield 4 and Thief yes. TESO no.
    (not many games tbh). Get more grunt of this Haswell baby.

Switch to Windows 7 though. I did and the game stopped crashing.

The 4690K is great for gaming full stop. Tbh I would drop the cost of mouse and keyboard and upgrade to i7 if I was you. But you will enjoy that i5

Graphic card wise choice. The game needs more than 3GB VRAM in Cyrodiil if you have everything maxed out.

Use MSI AB to create an aggressive fan profile maybe 70C at 100% fan speed
    curve. (I have it on 60C @ 100% fan speed)

Edited by p_tsakirisb16_ESO on September 1, 2014 9:56AM
  • oldspook619
    oldspook619
    ✭✭
    Scrap windows 8 go with windows 7 get an I7
    I play on windows 8.1 and it has always worked perfectly. Much better than other systems from what I read on the forums.

• Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As you see, opinions are strictly divided.

If you really don't care about 7 or 8, pick the one you like the UI of better. You'll be the one who has to look at it. Personally I can't be bothered with the arguing over OS's... I've used dozens of them, and most have as many strengths as they do weaknesses.

Everything else beyond UI is largely moot for an end user where modern Windows distributions are concerned, unless you have special needs like development. You see here plenty of people get by just fine with 7, and plenty do with 8 as well. 7 is my preference, but I'm not an average end user, so my preferences don't necessarily apply.

Pick whichever is cheaper and/or looks nicer on your eyes.
    Edited by Sarenia on September 1, 2014 10:00PM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i actually switched out my i7 for a different one due to the fact i7 is not ment for gaming. and i saw a massive improvement in doing so.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jircris11 wrote: »
    i actually switched out my i7 for a different one due to the fact i7 is not ment for gaming. and i saw a massive improvement in doing so.

What were the chip numbers out of interest, both old and new?
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who told you that? "i7" covers a vast array of chips, and many of them run every modern game without a hitch. Mine certainly does, and at ~3-4 years old it's one of the earlier 2nd gen i7's (2600k @4.5ghz).

Thus far, my bottleneck has universally proven to be my GPU.

I believe what you're referring to is single core performance. Games with no multithreading, lets say Neverwinter Nights 2 for example, can only address a single CPU core. Since the i7's are made with multithreading in mind, their per-core performance is often sub-par to modern dual-core chips built specifically for per-core performance.

In every other way, they are superior.
    Edited by Sarenia on September 3, 2014 8:22PM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KariTR wrote: »
    I thought this was in pounds. I paid £1300 for my first built to spec 20 years ago!
    And your point is? I used to sell 1GB harddrives for 3000 DM (Deutsch Mark for those currency challenged) and people were lined up around the corner to get them.

As for the OP, some good advice in this thread. Win7, i7, nVidia GPU ...
    :)
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarenia wrote: »
    Who told you that? "i7" covers a vast array of chips, and many of them run every modern game without a hitch. Mine certainly does, and at ~3-4 years old it's one of the earlier 2nd gen i7's (2600k @4.5ghz).

I believe what you're referring to is single core performance. Games with no multithreading, lets say Neverwinter Nights 2 for example, can only address a single CPU core. Since the i7's are made with multithreading in mind, their per-core performance is often sub-par to modern dual-core chips built specifically for per-core performance.

No one told me, i experienced it for my self. just because its new does not mean that it is better. Then again i do remember you Sarenia, we never saw eye to eye and i can see we still wont. I built a computer for 800 and it runs EVERY game to date on max. and guess what its not running an I7. Even ESO runs on max and looks great. massive battles no lag, More HDD space then i know what to do with. In the end buying the BEST thing in the world sometimes is the same as being savvy and knowing what to buy and when to buy it to make the rig cheaper. But what do i know i only build computers for a living.
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No one told me, i experienced it for my self. just because its new does not mean that it is better. Then again i do remember you Sarenia, we never saw eye to eye and i can see we still wont.
    Ooookay then....

I have no idea who you are. You're aware you can ignore people in your profile, right?

Profile > Edit Profile > Ignore List > add my name

Having said that, there was nothing even remotely condescending or argumentative in my post. It was merely informational. So if that's all it takes to earn your ire, you'll have a hard time here on the forum. Not everyone is so polite.
    Edited by Sarenia on September 4, 2014 7:39AM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What model chip number i7 did you have, and what chip number did you replace it with @jircris11‌

No one told me, i experienced it for my self. just because its new does not mean that it is better. Then again i do remember you Sarenia, we never saw eye to eye and i can see we still wont. I built a computer for 800 and it runs EVERY game to date on max. and guess what its not running an I7. Even ESO runs on max and looks great. massive battles no lag, More HDD space then i know what to do with. In the end buying the BEST thing in the world sometimes is the same as being savvy and knowing what to buy and when to buy it to make the rig cheaper. But what do i know i only build computers for a living.

• jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What model chip number i7 did you have, and what chip number did you replace it with @jircris11‌

I replaced it with I5 4670k and it runs well, though make sure to get a bored to go with the chip socket. its the best for your money. and AVOID AMD for the love of god.
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the 4670K is a good CPU. What was the i7 model you took out though? It's feasible you had an i7 that was lesser in clock speed etc than the i5 you put in, so you saw a benefit from the i5 based upon clock.

The reason I ask is that I have an i7 (3770K @ 4.6GHz, so the generation before your chip) and I disabled hyper-threading (HT) and got no performance change in ESO. Interestingly in Far Cry 3 with no HT I got about a 5% decrease in performance and the game I am beta-testing at the moment - Elite Dangerous - thrives on HT and uses all cores evenly, but is impossible to get using the CPU over 30% even using my GTX780 with all graphics options on, so probably an i5 would do just as well. Most games I tried I got zero change by disabling HT and essentially turning my i7 into an i5.

I use my PC for a lot more than games so an i7 is beneficial for me anyway, but I am interested in your results, not disputing them, just interested.

Generally speaking I do think for most gamers an i5 is as good as an i7, as whilst games are multi-threaded (ESO spawns > 34 threads on my machine) they are often bound to one main thread, as ESO is. So scaling out cores doesn't help as much as it would with a business application. I use HyperV on my desktop and also do video rendering and there's no contest between an i5 and i7, i7 every time.

Will games in future scale out better on high numbers of cores - including virtual ones? I hope so, at the moment our CPUs are sat twiddling their thumbs a lot of the time even with the very latest games.

I replaced it with I5 4670k and it runs well, though make sure to get a bored to go with the chip socket. its the best for your money. and AVOID AMD for the love of god.

• jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    was the i7-4770K, despite all that i tried it would not run as good as my I5. I still have it and plan on using it for my other PC but for the amount of games i play and stream it was not cutting it. Now if you don't mind paying extra money (as some people don't mind) i would go for i7-3770K. I sadly built this rig on a limit, and honestly 800 was just enough for it. And i also play Elite Dangerous and have no issues running it. Must say very stunning game and i cant wait till its fully released.
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I think that I won't upgrade my 3770K until Broadwell or maybe even Skylake, there's not really anything it can't run. There's been incremental increases with each generation of 'Core i' chips, but I have heard the 3770K is easier to overclock than the subsequent ones. Certainly I overclocked mine with 2 BIOS settings, I could probably squeeze more from it if I tried as I run water-cooling.

As for ED, whilst it uses all my cores - even the HT ones - the CPU never goes over 30%, so I can imagine your i5 runs it with plenty of headroom also.

Sometimes necessity is the mother of invention and choosing components on a budget brings about a nice range of efficiencies, as it has in your case.
    was the i7-4770K, despite all that i tried it would not run as good as my I5. I still have it and plan on using it for my other PC but for the amount of games i play and stream it was not cutting it. Now if you don't mind paying extra money (as some people don't mind) i would go for i7-3770K. I sadly built this rig on a limit, and honestly 800 was just enough for it. And i also play Elite Dangerous and have no issues running it. Must say very stunning game and i cant wait till its fully released.

• jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i usually run around 35-40% on ESO ultra
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Morvoldo
    Morvoldo
    ✭✭
    just a thought as i recently got this mouse and its awesome for ESO and way way cheaper than the Razor expensive one and does the same Job, thought i would share

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FNKMVUO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and in the processor range INTEL is still top, the last time AMD was top was when the Phenom +2's were out, then Intel made the "I" range I3,I5 & I7 AMD went down, tho AMD still Rule on the Graphics front so good card would be the R9 280 £130 or more depending on how much GB you want.
    Edited by Morvoldo on September 7, 2014 11:18AM
  • staxjax
    staxjax
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Intel fans seem to forget that PS4 and XBone are using AMD hardware...both CPU and GPU.
    Edited by staxjax on September 7, 2014 8:34PM
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    staxjax wrote: »
    Looks like Intel fans seem to forget that PS4 and XBone are using AMD hardware...both CPU and GPU.

It is however a very different kettle of fish and there are different considerations for console, cost being a key driver for the mass market.

No one would ever dream of genuinely comparing an AMD Jaguar with a Core i7 or even an AMD FX. It really is apples and oranges.

Don't get me wrong, I love my XBox One for couch gaming, but when it comes to the best quality, highest frame rate, native 3D games, there's really no contest between that and my PC.
    Edited by raglau on September 7, 2014 8:58PM
  • staxjax
    staxjax
    ✭✭✭
    I understand that, but as for troubleshooting/bugfixing/optimization, It only makes sense for game devs to target one universal platform :/

Also, I notice a lot more Intel users complaining about poor performance on this game than AMD users...guess they are just used to running every other game at 120fps all the time and don't understand why ESO doesn't. I think a steady 30fps on AMD hardware is ZOS's goal. I already achieve this with an AMD setup on near max ingame settings, and the OP is building a new PC to play ESO. Might as well buy AMD chipset, and put the extra cash into the rest of the hardware.
    Edited by staxjax on September 7, 2014 9:01PM
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard and love it but...there's two issues I encountered with it.

Key finish...
    After about six months of use I discovered the keys weren't black plastic with clear inserts but rather clear plastic painted black. I have semi long nails and found that the black paint wears off fairly easily. After two years of use a few of the keys have about 50% of the paint worn off the top half and 10 have about 25% of the paint worn off along the tops.

The Macro Key...
    The other issue I had was the poor placement of the macro set key, its right above the F1 and F2 keys. While playing a game I would inadvertently hit the macro set key then press another key assigned to a game attack like F3 for example. The macro would record all key presses on F3 for like 25 keystrokes so the next time I would press F3 I would get the expected game attack plus the macro with all my movement, attacks performed while the macro was recording and it was getting me killed a lot because I would loose control with my character running around seeming randomly targeting and attacking all on her own.

After a few weeks frustration I figured out it was the macro set key being activated, I disabled all macros, it helped but then when I'd hit the macro key it would start all over again. My solution was simple, disable all macros, pop out the macro key and stuff a small piece if tissue loosely in its open slot to keep dust out, problem forever solved.
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.