The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Game locks up after ALT-TAB in fullscreen mode on nvidia/intel gfx combo

Docmandu
Docmandu
✭✭✭✭✭
I have an MSI Gaming Laptop GT70, which has the nvidia optimus technology, ie. it uses the intel gfx core for "normal" programs, but will switch over to the nVidia GTX880 mobile GPU for games.

The problem I face is, if I play Elder Scrolls Online in fullscreen mode. The display will lockup if I alt-tab to the desktop and then alt-tab back to the game. This is in Windows 8.1 using nVidia driver 340.52

It works fine if I play in fullscreen borderless window mode, or if I switch to the OpenGL renderer by editing the UserSettings.txt (SET GraphicsDriver.7 "OPENGL"). So it's not a blocking issue, however I wonder if this is a known issue and if something can be done about this?!

I've read about this issue in other games, so it might well be out of Zenimax's hands and be something only nVidia is able to fix?!

The laptop in question is an MSI GT70 2PE Dominator Pro (mouth full!) - http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GT70-2PE-Dominator-Pro.html
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strange situation but I would suggest to change it so that all gfx is used with the gtx880.

I have intel+nvidia desktop and no issues alt+tabbing with fullscreen mode.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't think that's even possible, to set it fixed to the gtx880m.
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should be possible to disable the onboard gfx from bios which would then make the pc to use gtx880m only.
  • ZOS_HugoP
    ZOS_HugoP
    ✭✭✭
    Hi there @Docmandu‌ & @Syntse‌

We strongly recommend NOT to change your BIOS settings in any way, unless you're familiar with advanced PC maintenance and/or can get that done by a trained professional. Changing settings in your BIOS can permanently damage your machine, especially when your are trying to tweak display/graphics default settings.

As for your issue, we invite you to use the full screen border-less window mode for now, and and contact our customer support team about this issue. Make sure to provide them with a copy of your usersettings.txt file & a Game Consultant.
    The Elder Scrolls Online Social Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Elf_Boy
    Elf_Boy
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_HugoP wrote: »

We strongly recommend NOT to change your BIOS settings in any way, unless you're familiar with advanced PC maintenance and/or can get that done by a trained professional. Changing settings in your BIOS can permanently damage your machine, especially when your are trying to tweak display/graphics default settings.

As for your issue, we invite you to use the full screen border-less window mode for now, and and contact our customer support team about this issue. Make sure to provide them with a copy of your usersettings.txt file & a Game Consultant.

Hugo,

This is one of a few gpu related threads I am seeing today. A few more older ones are also posted. I see mostly Nvidia, however AMD cards are also represented.

I suspect a common root issue is creating all these problems. I noticed a long time ago on my system that launching, exiting, alt-tab, etc will cause my monitors to de-sync and re-sync as the game is entered and exited. This isnt something I see in other games. (doesnt make it wrong - just different) whatever is causing these re-sync events is likely also causing people to have GPU-Monitor issues as the re-sync may not always be perfectly successful.

Thanks

**EB**
    ** Asus Crosshair VI Hero, Ryzen 1800x, 64GB DDR4 @ 3000, GTX 1080 ti, 4K Samsung 3d Display m.2 Sata 3 Boot Drive, m.2 x4 nvme Game Drive **
  • ThisOnePosts
    ThisOnePosts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_HugoP wrote: »

Going to bump this since I am having a similar issue.

Also when I go to change from full screen mode to anything else, the game locks up. I can not change my video settings without doing so through a third party program which can change game settings or changing it in the files directly myself.

I never had the problem before today and I'm not sure why. I did submit a ticket, however ALT-Tab nor changing settings works whatsoever and yes everything is up to date.

No one has replied to my ticket yet, but maybe you can help see it goes to the right department.

@ZOS_HugoP‌
    Edited by ThisOnePosts on September 3, 2014 9:34PM
  • ThisOnePosts
    ThisOnePosts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a work around for anyone experiencing this.

Go to the actual game folder and find eso.exe right click it and go to properties > compatibility > then check the box and choose 'Windows 7'. The issue appears to be this particular game being run on Windows 8.1.

I have run 5 other games today without this problem, so I know it's not the O/S.

@ZOS_GinaBruno‌ @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ @ZOS_HugoP‌

If someone can please share this with the support team, as I still have not had any reply back here nor from my ticket submitted earlier in the day. So instead of having to jump through a bunch of hoops, i listed the work around which should help them figure out why it's happening.
    Edited by ThisOnePosts on September 4, 2014 3:46AM
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have Win 8.1 and NVidia card and never had issue with alt-tabbing. NVidia drivers are the latest WHQL. However I do run all my gfx through the NVidia card (desktop and games) and not separate desktop to iGPU. Also running 2 monitor setup.

It used to be kinda rule that if you had gfx card you disable onboard gfx to prevent any possible complications or issues. Personally I have no issue going to BIOS to change settings, I've configured and build PCs since my teens but I do not recommend it to anyone who doesn't know what to do.

My wifes PC was running NVidia + iGPU for dual monitor setup for while since we didn't have the DVI cable to connect the other monitor to gfx card so that monitor was using the iGPU. No issues, however she prefers to use Windowed (fullscreen) for easy access to the 2nd monitor. Nowdays the iGPU is disabled and both monitors connected to the NVidia card.

Hard to pinpoint any clear cause of the issue. What ever workarounds you find, good. Personally I would go on and disable iGPU.
  • ThisOnePosts
    ThisOnePosts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually never, ever had an issue with this until the other day (never in my life). My onboard is set to run things that do not pertain to my games. My games, I have gone in manually and set each one to always use NVidia.

But the workaround is as I said, which means there is some sort of compatibility issue between ESO and 8.1. That doesn't mean everyone will run into the problem, that just means that it can strike at any time.

There have been a few other games that have had this issue with a respective O/S version over the years. More recently, Hearthstone has had this issue with Windows 8.1 as well after doing a little bit of searching. But it is not up to Microsoft to go and make things right with specific games when all other games work fine. It's up to the game developers when it's such an isolated issue.

So just to be clear: I have done everything from reset Graphic card settings to repair ESO etc.. It has absolutely nothing to do with how I set my Graphics card or what add-ons I use or don't use for ESO. It has to do with ESO and Windows 8.1 compatibility which hopefully they can address soon enough. There will be people who don't find this thread and run into the issue, open support tickets, and support will ask them to update drivers, etc..

Hopefully ZOS sees this thread, I've tagged them in it again.
    Edited by ThisOnePosts on September 4, 2014 2:02PM
  • thedrumchannell_ESO
    6 months later and here is the response to my support ticket:
    Hi there.

We do not have currently a definite fix, but we have a workaround to your issue.
    You simply need in game to go to your Video Settings and set the screen to full Windowed Mode.
    That will prevent the client from crashing anytime you want to switch from a screen or application to another.

Sorry to let you know this late about this.

Kind regards.
    Alexandre.
    The Elder Scrolls Online T.U.

Are the developers even looking into this issue? I did a search for ALT-TAB and realized there are dozens of thread with people experiencing the same issue. I know the workaround, but it would be nice to use true full screen mode.
  • SapphireThunder
    You should be able to set the used gpu through the NVidia Control Panel's 3D Settings tab.
    If still experiencing this problem.
    Setting it on General Settings tab, should make it work for all.
    Edited by SapphireThunder on April 15, 2015 7:26AM