The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Official Discussion Thread for "Battlemaster’s Corner – The True Assassin"

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
This is the official discussion thread for the blog post Battlemaster’s Corner – The True Assassin. Enjoy, and don't forget to send us your build and a screenshot at community@elderscrollsonline.com if you'd like to be featured!
Jessica Folsom
Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • frwinters_ESO
    frwinters_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is basically every nightblades spec or very close to it.
  • rwright156_ESO
    rwright156_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I may dip into the siphoning class more now that I am higher level..currently I am using bow/2h weapon with vamp skills. Any thoughts on 2h vs dual wield?
  • dcbethb16_ESO
    dcbethb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I went more or less similar build for my NB before giving it up. The build's fine for what it is, though I'd say it lacks AOE (thought the poster mentioned that).

They never mentioned their armor choice, which I can only guess is stam based since they so heavily rely on stam based abilities (or low spam magica ones). Crits are nice, but semi-meaningless in PVP due to how lopsided Impenetrable works currently, though I'm not sure if anyone tested impen mitigation against stealth crit chance. Some believe stealth crits trigger and mitigate differently than the crits found in your character sheet, so the jury's out on that point.

When I started playing with vet content prior to the last patch reducing difficulty, without good CC, you were essentially dead meat, and since you couldn't 1-shot trash mobs for the most part, dealing with 3 mobs became very impractical. Now that mobs are much more reasonably killable, I see a build like this viable, though not exactly thriving.
    V2 -- Breton, Templar, 1HS/Heal/Destro/Heavy
    V2 -- Orc, Dragon Knight, 2H/Bow/Destro/Heal/Heavy/Medium/Light (master of nothing)
    V1 -- Argonian, Nightblade, DW/Bow/Medium
    V1 -- Bosmer, Templar, Bow/Heal/Destro/Light/Medium
    27 -- Breton, Sorcerer, Destro/Heal/Light
    5 -- Imperial, Dragon Knight, Bow/1HS/2H/Heavy/Medium (eventually)
    3 -- Altmer, Sorcerer, Destro/Heal/Light (eventually)
  • DaGhostDS
    DaGhostDS
    ✭✭✭
    I recommend dropping Blood Craze for Degeneration (morph of entropy), better healing, better range, better damage you get a few bonus perk out of the mage guild tree.

Havent found any mob who are immune to Degeneration but i know a few mobs ingame that cannot bleed or be affected by Blood Craze.
    Edited by DaGhostDS on August 4, 2014 10:24PM
  • Esha76
    Esha76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is basically every nightblades spec or very close to it.

I was thinking the same thing. Unless I am forgetting/mistaking the name of a morph, this is exactly what I completed Cadwell's Gold (pre-nerf) with as well. Though my NB isn't a vamp, she did fine without being one.

On the bow I'd didn't keep Silver Bolts on at all times. I'd swap Silver Bolts in with Venom Arrow only if up against undead and deadra. It full filled the same role as an interrupt, though Bolts is a little more costly. In the free slot I used one of the 2 CC's... Agony or the one that snares depending on the situation. Don't recall the names right now... Debilitate I think it is.

My DW Dagger slots are identical. But I'm usually swapping stuff out to keep things unique and interesting. 1-50 I used Ambush, worked just as well. In VR I swapped over to Shadow Cloak. That opening crit can one-shot some things, which made life a lot easier at times in pre-VR nerf.

It's a fun build. It's no surprise to me at all many people use this, and ones similar to it.
    "There is no moisture in your angry stares." - Laughs-at-All
    "I don't know why I bother guarding you horrible people." - Orama Sadas
    "Scales here is about to have a really bad day..." - Valeric
    "Just tell me what you're doing here before I turn your heart into a tomato..." - Sereyne
    "Break those rocks! Dig those ditches! Why??? Because I want you to!!!" - Ifriz the Unraveller
    "There are worse masters than I. Far worse." - Molag Bal
    "I humiliated the Daedra in Mehrunes Spite." - You, when turning in a specific Undaunted Daily.
    "I'm not finding you very pleasant!" - Adla the Brewer
    "Old Ri'hirr likes his birds slow and stupid!" - Old Ri'hirr
    "When things get dirty... Oh, I get so flustered." - Meredil the Archivist
    "Too many Argonians about these days..." - Davon's Watch Guard (though I think this one has been removed from game)
  • rwright156_ESO
    rwright156_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Currently my NB is almost lvl 48. I am just trying to decide if I should maybe reset my skills and go from there? It is my highest level character. I do enjoy the bow and the 2h sword is okay. Sneak attack + uppercut (whatever that ability is) works well enough as well.

Any suggestions for coming into the VR content? Should I get some of these siphoning skills for heals? Currently I use veil of blades ultimate.
    Edited by rwright156_ESO on August 4, 2014 11:22PM
  • pyrithion
    pyrithion
    Soul Shriven
    Mine is way better. Good to see he utilizes the Snipe ability but there is so much more. He doesn't use shadowy disguise with his bow ability bar. Big mistake. You can crouch, hit target with snipe ( I get 30-50% of targets health right there.) followed by another snipe then as soon as you release your arrow hit shadowy disguise, boom, instant crit shot. My shadowy disguise also gives me 100% chance to crit not 90. That alone usually kills opponents. If not then poisonous arrow for quick shot (light stam use)and interrupt any heal. Or simply hit them with Shadow strike, I think thats the name. lol. upgraded it does 300% additional damage to lower health targets. Full medium armor for maximum crit% boost. As well as stacking stam. Cant tell my exact build and stats but that's the basic idea behind it. Kill as fast as possible. Been using mark too lately for pve and I'm almost 1 shotting mofo's.
    Edited by pyrithion on August 5, 2014 1:48AM
  • Prokonto
    Prokonto
    ✭✭✭
    pyrithion wrote: »
    Mine is way better. Good to see he utilizes the Snipe ability but there is so much more. He doesn't use shadowy disguise with his bow ability bar. Big mistake. You can crouch, hit target with snipe ( I get 30-50% of targets health right there.) followed by another snipe then as soon as you release your arrow hit shadowy disguise, boom, instant crit shot. My shadowy disguise also gives me 100% chance to crit not 90. That alone usually kills opponents. If not then poisonous arrow for quick shot (light stam use)and interrupt any heal. Or simply hit them with Shadow strike, I think thats the name. lol. upgraded it does 300% additional damage to lower health targets. Full medium armor for maximum crit% boost. As well as stacking stam. Cant tell my exact build and stats but that's the basic idea behind it. Kill as fast as possible. Been using mark too lately for pve and I'm almost 1 shotting mofo's.

that skill which make 300% additional dmg to low health targets is Assasin's blade, ranged morph is Impale, its from Assasination tree.
  • tordr86b16_ESO
    tordr86b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    from my experience in pve snipe is a terrible choice and a waste of space. might entirely be another story in pvp but i think mobility wins on both sides of the coin.
  • FifthofNovember
    FifthofNovember
    Soul Shriven
    Ive found that surprise attack morph is better pve wise, with much more damage then veiled. Instead of running strife on my melee bar i run leeching strikes morph either one. i may switch im not sure, but the reliable stamina, magicka, and sometimes health(if i use siphoning morph) is always good. Also i use Impale in pvp, and Assassins blade in pve. You dont want to have to be right in melee range all the time. Even with a range bar. I run more magicka then stamina myself, but that's just because i spam the hell out of surprise attack morph. I run 2/3 light armor and the rest medium. Though i will have to try your weapon ability. I have been using the flurry attack speed morph that give attack speed but i may do away with it in favor of your idea. I am only vet nine so idk maybe i am completely wrong.
  • FifthofNovember
    FifthofNovember
    Soul Shriven
    pyrithion wrote: »

Mark is op against other night blades in pvp. Easly kill a target in one to two shots.

• jun-jun555b16_ESO
    jun-jun555b16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    How are these attributes points set and how does one enchant their armor if they split the source?

And also - do you go full medium armor or part light and part medium?
    Edited by jun-jun555b16_ESO on August 5, 2014 10:43PM
  • pyrithion
    pyrithion
    Soul Shriven
    I go full medium armor strictly for crit and stam boost. I also am wearing Hundings Rage 5 piece set for the boost to weapon ability damage since I am using pretty much all bow abilities on my bar. I have found the build to be pretty good in Pvp you can strike from stealth and from a distance either killing a wounded foe or allowing your teammates to wipe up the remains of your opponents health bar. Then simply slide back into the shadows. 1V1 i have taken out VR12 players while only being a VR 3. I am looking forward to a time where we can truly test our builds and characters against each other on a more personal lvl. Maybe like an Arena where we can fight each other in 1v1 , 2v2, 3v3, 1v3 etc... I dont know, like Oblivion??!! Who's with me on that. Everyone seems to have good build ideas and I love our community. Good luck everyone I hope to see you on the Battlefield.
  • pyrithion
    pyrithion
    Soul Shriven
    from my experience in pve snipe is a terrible choice and a waste of space. might entirely be another story in pvp but i think mobility wins on both sides of the coin.
    It does have somewhat of a flaw with PVE only when engaging multiple foes. for that occasion I use Prolonged suffering(PS) and magnum shot(MS) for cc and good damage. CC is important but not more important than dps. Since that is your characters goal. You take advantage of Snipe cause 1. it really hurts them. 2. it disorients them for 4.5 secs right after you release snipe you cast PS on a ranged character preferably. 12 sec stun which is more than enough time to dispatch the other two. Since, lets be real. We usually only see mobs of three while pve'ing. So, after that you hit the melee baddy with Magnum shot since he is probably almost on you with weapon drawn. That knocks him back and stuns for 6 secs. by this time your first foe is awakening with half his life gone. Dont forget Snipe( I mean Focused Aim, upgraded btw) also increases the weapon power of ranged attack abilities by 14 for 10 secs which works great with hundings rage. ;) so you just hit him with soul harvests then spam venom arrow followed by light weapon attack, rr till hes dead. hit target two with another MS followed by Venom and light attacks. RR. fast damage. Plus venom arrow being spammed with light attack prevents any spells from being cast like heals or damage. increasing your survivability. Which is a term I hate for MMO's. I survive by killing everything that tries me. :) Oh yeah and the last guy who is usually still napping. I open with another Focused Aim then hit shadowy disguise for 100% crit. that along with the 380 damage he is taking over 7 secs from PS now will hurt him pretty bad and leave you little work.
    Hope you find my input useful. Enough of this. I have ESO to play.

Edited by pyrithion on August 6, 2014 1:16AM
  • Kego
    Kego
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mark is op against other night blades in pvp. Easly kill a target in one to two shots.
    If he is AFK, sure. But else? If I see a mark over my head I just turtle and see where the attack comes from.

• Lazrael
    Lazrael
    ✭✭✭
    Is this more "traditional" Assassin build, actually viable now? As opposed to the Resto staff build that everyone was relying of for a while.
    Artists and Theives...