The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Windows msg low on memory due to ESO

Nukeyak
Nukeyak
✭✭
I have just purchased a new gaming laptop to play ESO and after about an hour of play I get Windows 8.1 message that my computer is running low on memory and I should close ESO. The game continues to perform well though, even on ultra settings which it plays as default.

Is this something wrong with the computer or a memory leak in the game or what? Any insights, ideas appreciated!
  • Elf_Boy
    Elf_Boy
    ✭✭✭
    How much ram does your system have? Are you running win x32 or x64?

What other applications do you have running when you play? Every little one?

Are you comfortable with accessing your systems bios? (if x32 disreguard if x64)

I'll try and check back tomorrow or Sunday.
    ** Asus Crosshair VI Hero, Ryzen 1800x, 64GB DDR4 @ 3000, GTX 1080 ti, 4K Samsung 3d Display m.2 Sata 3 Boot Drive, m.2 x4 nvme Game Drive **
  • CoUsT
    CoUsT
    ✭✭✭
    Close everything else. Every program that you run in background consume memory. Closing them should help you with this. So you should close your communcator, browser and other programs.
  • Nukeyak
    Nukeyak
    ✭✭
    Hmm, well really I'm only playing ESO, though I may have my browser open. I don't use add-ons and am pretty computer illiterate. Besides sometimes interrupting the game with the memory warning message (which only blames ESO), the game continues so far to play fine after the message comes up. Dunno.
  • CoUsT
    CoUsT
    ✭✭✭
    Nukeyak wrote: »
    Besides sometimes interrupting the game with the memory warning message (which only blames ESO), the game continues so far to play fine after the message comes up.

That's because the game is using highest amount of memory, not because something is wrong with it. Turn off your browser and you should be fine.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You never answered the actually important question.
    How much RAM do you have?
  • Nukeyak
    Nukeyak
    ✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    You never answered the actually important question.
    How much RAM do you have?
    Sorry, the specs says it has 8GB. On paper I think given its a new pretty high end gaming laptop, I figure it should run game OK.
  • ZOS_AlvinM
    ZOS_AlvinM
    ✭✭
    We want to assure you we are working to resolve the memory leak issue. As a word of warning players shouldn't spend too long at the character selection screen as this seems to increase the effects of the leak. In addition, this article includes other tips on how to minimize the effect of the leak.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Nukeyak
    Nukeyak
    ✭✭
    Ok thanks, appreciate the explanation.
  • Zarman
    Zarman
    ✭✭✭
    8GB is really low for a gaming pc/laptop, where did you get this laptop from?
  • Nukeyak
    Nukeyak
    ✭✭
    Zarman wrote: »

From best buy. It sold for about $1100 and all the models seem to come with that amount at that price point. There was one for $1800 and that came with 16GB. I can expand it to 16GB, but I'm hoping the 8GB is ok once memory leak gets sorted out.
  • Daethz
    Daethz
    ✭✭✭
    Zarman wrote: »

Unless you are running above 1920x1080 8gb should be more than enough for any and all gaming.
    However you should also have 2-4gb of GPU ram at the minimum.

I run all of my games at max settings, with 8gb of ram on my system, 4 on my gpu, and I have never gone above 6gb of use, ever, even dualscreening crysis 3 and watch dogs.
    Waiting, and watching, for the return of Melee Weapons.
    -Subsidiary of The Fighters Guild
  • Elf_Boy
    Elf_Boy
    ✭✭✭
    8gb is a decent level of ram for an x64 system.

It doesnt hurt to buy more, *IF* the cost is not significant to you. I dont know your budget.

8gb should easily cover eso and a browser (unless you have like 50 or more pages/tabs open)

I've never seen eso go over about 2 gb on my system, I'll have to watch closer now I guess.

Do you know if your windows is 32 or 64 bit?

control panel->system->read though page for win version and look for 32 or 64 bit.
    ** Asus Crosshair VI Hero, Ryzen 1800x, 64GB DDR4 @ 3000, GTX 1080 ti, 4K Samsung 3d Display m.2 Sata 3 Boot Drive, m.2 x4 nvme Game Drive **
  • Nukeyak
    Nukeyak
    ✭✭
    It's 64-bit. Well regardless, thanks perhaps to not lingering on the character select page etc., the problem seems to have gone away for now.
  • Elf_Boy
    Elf_Boy
    ✭✭✭
    With 8 gb and x64 you should not be getting any kind of out of memory issues even with a browser open.

Glad it is better for you!
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    8 GB, like others have said is more than enough for just about any game out there right now.

Most games (eso included) still run at 32 bit natively so it would be impossible for them to address more than 4GB. That leaves 1-2 GB for windows stuff and still have a couple more GB's to play around with.

Most 32 bit apps will manage their .exe to never get higher than 3GB just to be safe.
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    8gb is the "sweet spot" for gaming right now. Having 16 or 32gb does not generally provide much benefit unless you are running a ton of different things at once, or doing things that require much more memory than games. That said, it never HURTS to have more memory.

Also, as far as 32-bit apps. On a 32-bit OS, 32-bit apps can use up to 2GB of RAM (3GB if the executable is LAA). On a 64-bit OS, 32-bit apps can use up to 2GB of RAM normally/4GB if executable is LAA.
    Edited by Saerydoth on July 26, 2014 7:01PM