Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

3k+ Blazing shield crits

• andrewb14_ESO45
    Tarkit wrote: »
    To clarify my poor wording if the templar breaks combat the stored damage seems to go away.

So to confirm.. if you put up the shield, get hit for say 1k damage, shield goes off but doesn't hit any enemy players, do this a couple of times to build it up (say 3 times for 3k in this example). Then you rush in and put it on the 4th time it'll hit for 4k damage?

The skill is strong enough without that.. you basically get a damaging Barrier for an inexpensive amount of magicka the bug needs to get removed.

That's correct on how the bug works from my testing, although if combat is broken the damage was lost. So you can't let an NPC archer pling your shield for 30m and then go jump in a pvp zerg. But in a back and forth between two zergs at a keep where you stay locked in combat its a pretty deadly bug.

I got curious after seeing this post because the biggest *crit* I had ever gotten with 3100 health was around 800ish. I 100% agree that is strong enough considering you also get a shield for 30-50% health and the bug needs to be fixed.

In the meantime I only use the skill for pvp when its close quarters or in pve. If you know how the bug works its very hard to make it hit. Never shoot arrows or spells at a player in pvp with a yellow shield. Bum rush them and take the smaller hits.

• Tamanous
    Tamanous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sure sounds like a scaling issue with the return of damage and even possible buff stacking issues. Has ZoS mentioned any specifics on this issue yet? I do not really see why it needs to crit either. It is a nice little morph addition to a shield, not a primary, offensive ability.
    Edited by Tamanous on September 5, 2014 4:39AM
  • ZOS_TristanK
    ZOS_TristanK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, all. We wanted to let you know that we are currently working on a fix for blazing shield damage now. When it has been successfully tested and verified, we'll push it live with a future patch.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so maybe update 5...
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    so maybe update 5...
    You finally get a response that a fix is incoming and still are not satisfied.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Yusuf
    Yusuf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, all. We wanted to let you know that we are currently working on a fix for blazing shield damage now. When it has been successfully tested and verified, we'll push it live with a future patch.

yayyyyy
  • Hakurei
    Hakurei
    blazingshieldlel_zpsc6c2168e.png

Much wow, immovable > blazing shield spam while running away from 2 people. go back in and jaw dropped 0.o wasn't even intentional trying to get this nuke...
    Edited by Hakurei on September 6, 2014 5:23PM
    Ebonheart Templar V12 :s
  • JLB
    JLB
    ✭✭✭✭

Good news. Thanks devs.
  • madangrypally
    madangrypally
    ✭✭✭✭

Interested to see how you destroy it instead of actually fixing it.

Best solution: Blazing Shield explodes when it ends. It ends when its duration expires, the damage taken is greater then the damage shield, or Blazing Shield is recast.

This will prevent crazy stacking of blazing shield damage as soon as the Templar recast it, it would explode. Thus only 1 blazing shield damage per cast.

ZoS Solution prediction: Nerf the ability into the ground but dont fix the exploit. That way even if it is exploited it still wont do enough damage to make a difference.

• timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wear impenetrable. Blazing shield does not crit me.

• Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That's besides the point and completely irrelevant. 5453 crit (as in the screnshot above) still means 3635 uncritted aoe dmg. It would still one-shot any player in its radius except perhaps an emperor.
    Edited by Maulkin on September 8, 2014 3:33PM
    EU | PC | AD
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

That's besides the point and completely irrelevant. 5453 crit (as in the screnshot above) still means 3635 uncritted aoe dmg. It would still one-shot any player in its radius except perhaps an emperor.

I didn't say 5.4k crits were okay. That definitely needs to be fixed. I just said that they don't currently happen to me ever due to wearing proper PVP gear.
    Edited by timidobserver on September 9, 2014 3:28AM

• Brandoid
    Brandoid
    ✭✭✭
    Made the thread on June 20th and got a ZOS respond on September 5th.

It took 78 days, and this exploit has probably been there since day1, but progress is now being made.
    Brandoid - Templar - Ebonheart Pack
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    as their QA and bug testing team have a record of slow pace and bad working i guess the discovery of the bug source in this thread is the reason for their reaction...
    having presented the bug on the silver tablet makes it alot easier to be fixed than to have its source discovered on your own...
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So what's the plan until it's fixed? Just continue to allow everyone to rampantly exploit this bug?
  • Tamanous
    Tamanous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lionxoft wrote: »

So what's the plan until it's fixed? Just continue to allow everyone to rampantly exploit this bug?

It's interesting that the Blazing Shield bug is 100% replicated every time because it is based on stacking due to attacking it at range and it going off with extreme damage once in melee. YET Volatile Familiar was nerfed into the ground for 1-2 months as a temp fix and it wasn't replicated easily.

Blazing shield works exactly as the tool tip says if someone only attacks it and it goes off as normal. The fix shouldn't nerf it but I have little faith in ZoS until I see the fix implemented.

Perhaps the bright side to all of this is that ZoS is apparently taking OP abilities more seriously lately. Sadly they evidently care far less about skills broken since launch.
    Edited by Tamanous on September 10, 2014 8:22PM
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tamanous wrote: »
    Lionxoft wrote: »

It's interesting that the Blazing Shield bug is 100% replicated every time because it is based on stacking due to attacking it at range and it going off with extreme damage once in melee. YET Volatile Familiar was nerfed into the ground for 1-2 months as a temp fix and it wasn't replicated easily.

Blazing shield works exactly as the tool tip says if someone only attacks it and it goes off as normal. The fix shouldn't nerf it but I have little faith in ZoS until I see the fix implemented.

Perhaps the bright side to all of this is that ZoS is apparently taking OP abilities more seriously lately. Sadly they evidently care far less about skills broken since launch.

Unfortunately, it's going to be exploited up until the day that it is fixed with no consequences. Not entirely ZOS' fault for the bug but the players should be blamed for abusing this. This isn't like the bow bug that scaled up your damage out of nowhere... You have to actually be aware to reproduce this problem.

It's ridiculous that this isn't being monitored in-game or a fix is not being pushed out faster. It's an obvious exploit of a broken game mechanic.
  • cazlonb16_ESO
    cazlonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While this obviously needs to be fixed, how rampant is the abuse really ? I can't remember the last time BS even showed up on my death recaps at all, much less in the 1k+ damage range.
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While this obviously needs to be fixed, how rampant is the abuse really ? I can't remember the last time BS even showed up on my death recaps at all, much less in the 1k+ damage range.

Several times fighting AD just today:

cheap.jpg

• Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you have to blame yourself aswell to not adept to the bug - its shown in this thread how it is produced when you exactly play that way that is what you recieve.
    - since the bug production has been uncovered ive not been hit like a truck anymore.

Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tankqull wrote: »
    you have to blame yourself aswell to not adept to the bug - its shown in this thread how it is produced when you exactly play that way that is what you recieve.
    - since the bug production has been uncovered ive not been hit like a truck anymore.

What adaptation would you suggest? The only one that springs to mind is "stay out of melee range of a Templar until ZOS fixes the exploit."

Kinda sucks for melee players.

Also kinda tough when taking a keep with 40 or more players in a big spell effect blob around the flag.

Also, the very notion of running from a Templar turns my stomach a bit.
    Edited by Phinix1 on September 15, 2014 1:10AM
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so maybe update 5...
    You finally get a response that a fix is incoming and still are not satisfied.

Well, there is nothing in the patch notes for Update 4, three months after the bug was first posted, so yeah...

I think it's a legitimate question.
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tankqull wrote: »

What adaptation would you suggest? The only one that springs to mind is "stay out of melee range of a Templar until ZOS fixes the exploit."

don´t fight them at range is the current meta to eleminate the bug. as the shield needs to be refreshed with no one in its range to stack up.
    so every melee class is absolutly fine. as you would have known when reading any of the threads regarding that issue.

Edited by Tankqull on September 15, 2014 8:20PM

• Tamanous
    Tamanous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't this fixed in patch? Last confirmation of bug was pre-patch on this thread.
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tamanous wrote: »
    Wasn't this fixed in patch? Last confirmation of bug was pre-patch on this thread.
    the patch in EU went live on the 16th - but i hope the have fixed it as promised.

• Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I blocked Toppling Charge and didn't even have time to release the "block" button...
    SeSWVhy.jpg?1
    I was kiting this templar, using magnum shot+crippling grasp so he couldn't approach me. I was blocking his charge and dodge rolling or magnum-shotting to immediately get away. However at some point his shield just exploded right when he charged. How am I supposed to counter that, ZoS? He was spamming 2 buttons only - renewing his shield and charging at me. I was avoiding/kiting him all the time and damaging at the same time using all my skills... And the outcome is - I am ONE shotted. You skill vs reward vision is just wrong, Zos. Very disappointing that you are not going to fix it and don't seem to be aware of this issue? Or does it work as intended? I have no other explanation why people like this aren't banned yet.. And those blinxking mages that are invulnerable...
    Edited by Artis on September 17, 2014 8:10PM
  • Hakurei
    Hakurei
    first: it isnt bannable
    second: staying only at range is not "THE tactic" to use against these people. If you pumped allot of dmg in his blazing shield he will charge you to unleash all that absorbed dmg in one go.. which may result in an one hit.
    You can avoid a few times, but fact is the "nuke" growns even stronger after when it hits
    Edited by Hakurei on September 18, 2014 6:23PM
    Ebonheart Templar V12 :s