The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Templar Revamp

Warhealer
Warhealer
Soul Shriven
Question for everyone who has done it no matter your class...How hard is it to switch up your toon completely?
I am currently a HVY armor, Sword N Board Templar with Resto 2nd
I am having issues with trash mobs now at VR5 even in purple armor/weapons

My question is this, How hard is it to switch up my style and level say Light armor/Destro staff as my primary? Did I wait too long at VR5 or can I max out the levels of Destro and light armor before I cap out?
Thank you in advance.
  • VonAwesomesauce
    VonAwesomesauce
    Soul Shriven
    I'm sword and board with resto staff as second . I don't have any issues with mobs and I tank vr dungeons in light armor. http://www.tesoelite.com/forums/threads/guide-to-templar-tanking-at-veteran-rank-updated-with-alternative-build.3022/ that link is a good guide to abilities you can use that will help you out a lot. You may have a little bit of pain leveling some abilities but its worth it.
  • Warhealer
    Warhealer
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for that I also don't want to melee either, id rather play a priest type caster than a paladin Templar so that is why I was considering switching fully to destroy/resto and light armor. After reading that I definitely need to switch to light.
    Since end game ill be running grps as a healer or blasting trash solo from range.
  • Spectrasoul
    Spectrasoul
    ✭✭✭
    Literally no problem to change whatsoever the only thing I might recommend is that if you have a few spare skill points, start skilling some of the abilities you want to use for your new build (even jut the first weapon ability) and put it in your bad for handing in quests.

The best way to level skills / abilities is by handing in quests.

• pecheckler
    pecheckler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should switch to resto + destruction staff immediately. It is the ONLY viable way to play a templar until Zenimax fixes the balance problems. I made the switch at VR4 (rank 1 destro staff0 and within 20% of a level I had 4 destro staff skills, and within 50% of a level all four were morphed.
    End the tedious inventory management game.
  • Mephos
    Mephos
    ✭✭✭
    pecheckler wrote: »
    You should switch to resto + destruction staff immediately. It is the ONLY viable way to play a templar until Zenimax fixes the balance problems. I made the switch at VR4 (rank 1 destro staff0 and within 20% of a level I had 4 destro staff skills, and within 50% of a level all four were morphed.

you sir have no clue at all.. "the ONLY viable..." when I read stuff like that I want to smash my head against a wall. I´m at VR11 atm and never used destro staff in any way. restro yes but event that I only use rarely when fighting bosses..

you can play VR content completly (vr1-vr12) with only class skills if you want.

it highly depends on what people want to play. everything is viable atm.. and templs don´t need "balance" changes.. they are just fine, I don´t see any issues with them atm except that we lack AoE CC a little (for trash in instances if you want to tank properly)

Edited by Mephos on June 1, 2014 7:14PM
  • Warhealer
    Warhealer
    Soul Shriven
    Mephos, how do you play then? because I switched to light armor/Destro staff and if I combo that with blazing spears I can solo bosses and trash alike without even being hit. when I was hvy armor/sword n board I had power management issues with only using 2 abilities. Now I can use all 5, have very limitied power issues(only when healing).
  • bobby_nayb14a_ESO
    bobby_nayb14a_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I played mainly as a sword n board temp with heavy armor up to v12. I did a few levels as bow (light armor), 2h (heavy armor), sword n board (light armor), restore staff (light armor). My second bar was usually destroy or restore and used to level abilities I didn't want or couldn't use.
    All of which I could solo bosses and the trash alike. It's more about finding synergies and maximizing your build. It all is viable, just some builds are easier to pick up.
  • CaptainSilverbrow
    CaptainSilverbrow
    ✭✭✭
    It's still very easy, but it'll get tougher when you hit the second tier of VR zones. You can actually level your gear sets and spells up very quickly, and without ever using them in combat, by slotting Training gear (or anything, so long as it's what you want to level) of the armor and weapon types you wish to level just before turning in quests. There are addons that make this process almost as easy as button macros.

I started with Heavy Armor and DW, picked up Bow and started wearing two cloth pieces for magicka bonuses in my alliance's VR2 zone (both fully leveled in short order), and now my Medium Armor and Resto Staff lines are also almost fully leveled, and I've abstained from finishing my VR5 zone just yet for some fun times in Cyrodiil. I've almost more completed skill lines than those as of yet incomplete.

As an aside, I've thus far been able to solo dungeons and bosses (and some world bosses) in the VR zones using my combination of Bow/DW, Templar skills, and some terrain tricks.
    Edited by CaptainSilverbrow on June 9, 2014 6:55PM
  • sCouraGeFire
    To all the people saying that templars are fine, try being a melee dps.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars are viable.

Being viable does not mean they can compete with the others in damage... just that they can do the content in general.

I played a templar getting pretty much random pieces of armor from drops and quests rewards , the same with the weapons , also played while lvling the weapon sets , only need the dual wield now. (so many times no weapon skills and no armor set bonus...)

Completed (did enough quests for each achiv) all vr zones but one (the vr10 one).

Only weapon i consider a must for my templar is the resto staff for mana regen on some fights 1x1 tought fights with bosses...

Ofc , im not talking about you soloing craglorn :P.

PS: Would not advise going in any closed group dungeon also ofc , just the usual public dungeons/anchors...
    Edited by Nox_Aeterna on June 10, 2014 4:27AM
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To all the people saying that templars are fine, try being a melee dps.

I play templar melee dps, and it's good how it is, it could be better yes, and will be in 1.2. Does that means it's not doable now? Nope. Templars are fine, the only people saying they aren't are the players that want to play the game on easy mode. like DK's and sorcs do.
    Edited by Akinos on June 11, 2014 8:40PM
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • CaptainSilverbrow
    CaptainSilverbrow
    ✭✭✭
    I play templar melee dps, and it's good how it is, it could be better yes, and will be in 1.2.

A single bandage does not make a fresh, bleeding amputee "better".
    the only people saying they aren't are the players that want to play the game on easy mode. like DK's and sorcs do.

Did you actually, unironically invalidate your own dialectic? This is taking the ever-fallacious "m-m-muh s-skill" excuse for bad design and balance to a new frontier for me. Hey gais, muh mad skillz xD Bet Sorcs and DKs couldn't play the worst class as hardcore as I do lolol.

Bad design is okay if some popstar makes the garbage bag suit at least look a little trendy, amirite?