The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bookcase mechanics

jmmonnat_ESO
Do bookcases "reset" once you look inside them, hoping for a skill increase, or is it RNG each time. In other words, am I wasting my time looking into the same bookcases over and over?
  • Uzkul
    Uzkul
    I've had skill upgrades from bookcases I visited before.
    So, you're not actually wasting time, and I visit every bookcase I see when my character loads in again.

However, the bookcase should only 'respawn' or replenish when you have zoned out for a bit (for example a quest portal opens and loading screen appears) or if you have logged off for a bit.
    Much like the barrels and trunks all over the world.

If you are playing the same map for about an hour, there is no real point in visiting the bookcases again because most likely they will still hold the same book you've read before.
    Unfortunately I don't have a timmeframe for you when they do actually 'respawn'.
    RNG it is ..
  • kaosodin
    kaosodin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was preset...and once I looked, that was it
  • Uzkul
    Uzkul
    kaosodin wrote: »

Actually, you might be right.
    I've been testing this a bit now with 3 bookcases in Coldharbour vault.
    I got the same book so far after being logged off for about 30 mins.
    I'll try this some more to see if I get another book or not.
    (if they don't change at some point, it must mean I missed some bookcases while first running through, which would surprise me cause I'm quite methodical in opening them all).
    We'll see what the testing brings :smile:
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kaosodin wrote: »

Seems to be, I did my fourth character, which meant he was following in one of my previous character's footsteps. He seemed to encounter the same books in the same places. There might be a few randomised bookshelves, but not many.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bookcases reset after a period of time (can't recall exactly how often but I'm pretty sure it's the same or similar to how often trunks/desks/cabinets/etc.. reset). Each time they reset, there's a random book in it. So you can theoretically get several skillups from the same bookcase. But it would take forever to do, since each skill book you get increases the chances that you'll just see a book you've already read.
    Edited by DenverRalphy on May 31, 2014 4:03PM
  • Talmet
    Talmet
    ✭✭✭
    Bookcases are random, and the proof is very simple.

There is lorebook that is possible to find in a bookcase, the totems of hicine. It does exist out in the open, but it also can be found in bookcases....and people have reported finding it in bookcases all over tamriel, even inside of delves.
  • Uzkul
    Uzkul
    Well I did some more testing on my favorite bookcases in the Coldharbour Vault.

Conclusion they did change !
    So they must be random.

First case I opened :
    dGjhaAe.jpg

After a while this was in the same bookcase :
    2TGECFm.jpg

So they are random, but it take quite some more time for them to respawn then the trunks, baskets, ...
    First screenshot was taken at 4PM, 2nd at 8AM.
    Edited by Uzkul on June 1, 2014 6:26AM
  • jmmonnat_ESO
    But does the skill-up depend on what book you get or what attempt number you're on? Honestly, I never look at what the book title is when I check the bookcase.
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But does the skill-up depend on what book you get or what attempt number you're on? Honestly, I never look at what the book title is when I check the bookcase.
    It depends on the book. Certain books give specific skill ups. There are 82 of them in total.

• Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some skillbooks are set...You may always get a Light Armor increase from a particular location (only one time, though).

Some skillbooks are random...You may always get a skill increase from a particular location (one time only also, though), but the skill may vary from character to character...

Some skillbooks are not... I may pull a skillbook from a shelf, while the DK grouped with me may not pull one at all, or vice versa.

They (at this time, nor in the foreseeable future) do not continue to give skill increases. If they did, people would linger near bookcases and eventually have Skill 50's across the board.

Unless they add it via patch or new content, once you've read it, you've read it!
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS