Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

When Is The Imperial Race 'Gimped?'

Jeddahwe
Jeddahwe
✭✭✭
Any 'role' Imperial race would be a really bad choice? So much so you might call it gimped? Ranged Light armor Staff user?
  • Talmet
    Talmet
    ✭✭✭
    gimped?

well:
    shield affinity: nice for lvling, but ultimately useless
    tough: health is nice for anyone...your ranged staff user doesn't do any damage/healing when they are dead.
    conditioning: max stam is better for people who use weapon skills other than staff...but, max stam increases your light/heavy attacks with all weapons including staves, so not terrible.
    red diamond: only works for melee attacks.

I wouldn't say anything is gimped just from racial choices, to make a gimped character you'd need to work harder than just make a bad race choice.

BUT, to make like a "the best" character...Imperial isn't really the best at anything, they make good tanks (though argonians with +6% healing received is better)...they make decent stam based melee characters (which isn't a really good build, but whatever).
  • Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    Is luck actually felt? Seen? Staff Damage is based on stam or magicka?
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They are gimped at being glass cannons. (Not enough glass you see.)
    Edited by Shunravi on June 19, 2014 8:28PM
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Attributes like racial passives, armour passives, etc. are minor in the great scheme of things, 10% of 2000 isn't going to make the difference between life and death on its own often enough to matter.

Sure, if you pick a race, armour type and wear gear deliberately excluding your class' main attribute(s) then you'll be gimp, but race on its own won't make you that as @talmet put it so well...
    Talmet wrote: »
    I wouldn't say anything is gimped just from racial choices, to make a gimped character you'd need to work harder than just make a bad race choice.
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Attributes like racial passives, armour passives, etc. are minor in the great scheme of things, 10% of 2000 isn't going to make the difference between life and death on its own often enough to matter.

I've scraped by so many times during fights that I can say with full confidence that 200 hp can make all the difference between a victory and a wipe. But you are right, as this game is action based, it comes down more to how you play with the stats you have then just what stats you have at the time (or at least it should). Which is part of why cloth+staff is so powerfull right now. Staff users, by the fact of being ranged, already have a large defensive advantage over someone in melee range. Blocking and dodging is almost an afterthought when kiting and staying out of aoe is so easy.
    Edited by Shunravi on June 20, 2014 10:07PM
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • recon011994
    I would say that they might not make the best light armored, staff wielding, sorcerers due their passives.

However, I made one anyway and he is doing just fine. Why? Because play-style and strategy make a bigger difference in the long run than a few percentage points.

I think they are more suited to tanking. I have a VR Imperial tank. He is pretty much a walking brick wall.

Bottom Line: Its a game. Have fun with it. Only the (far to numerous) online-digital-keyboard-ranger-tough guys whom are out of synch with reality because video games consume their lives will rage over stuff like that. ;)
  • Fyrakin
    Fyrakin
    ✭✭✭
    Jeddahwe wrote: »
    Any 'role' Imperial race would be a really bad choice? So much so you might call it gimped? Ranged Light armor Staff user?

I don't regreat choosing this race for any class, having extra health and stamina never hurts. Even if you don't get the other tiny damage/resist bonuses other races provide better base health means you can improve other stats using gear or max out your health for whatever reasons you may have.
    NA Megaserver (810) - Fyrakin, Loremaster Fyrakin, Cartographer Fyrakin, Taskmaster Tobin, Zergas, Texa, Furnacius, Hextex
    EU Megaserver (167) - Fyrakin
    MiniMap author