The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Worried about impulse magicka increase

Wavemoore
Wavemoore
✭✭
Sorcerer talking here, but I hope they didn't go too far with this change. It's really the only viable source of AOE that I have that will effectively take out 3+ mobs before I die. I'm V6 now, and can reliably take on those pesky 3-5 mob packs that seem to be so common everywhere. Their health is getting to the point where it takes me about 7 seconds to burn them down and my magicka (even with the magicka return for kills) is pretty low when I'm done. That combined with the ultimate reduction from AOE skills means less availability from my ultimate (I use Negate Magic for large packs). Afraid AOE may be in trouble for my playstyle.

In the end I guess I'll have to throw down an extra volcanic rune or something. I'm sure I'll live, but I hope this staple AOE tool isn't nerfed beyond use.

So, any thoughts from you sorcs out there on how to effectively AOE without impulse (if that ends up being the case)? I'm light armored, typical mage style setup.

We'll see this evening. Happy Craglorn everyone :)
  • cjmarsh725b14_ESO
    cjmarsh725b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even as a sorc myself I think this change may have been necessary. The power of the ability was just too high for the cost and the fact that it can be spammed so often makes it the best damage aoe by far. Now it will probably be more in line with elemental wall and lightning storm so that there is a bit more balance there. It's true our overall aoe damage will go down but some extra volcanic runes as you said can make up for it.

There's one more very important aspect to this and that was the ability being used by DKs in pvp. With their synergy giving magicka regen they could spam it almost non-stop and just wipe out entire groups of people with very little effort. So this may have been a pvp fix that hits pve a little harder than it might have otherwise.
  • Innocente
    Innocente
    ✭✭✭✭
    And so it begins. The nerfs to skills to balance PvP that will make PvE a nightmare for many players. And down the road Z/B goes that all amateur MMO companies take. "Those who don't learn from the past..."
  • Alpha_Protocol
    Alpha_Protocol
    ✭✭✭
    Oh noes... now all the uber faceroll is over :(
  • Unknown_poster
    Unknown_poster
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't just a fix for pvp, if you go to youtube and search for DK soloing craglorn delves content you'll see why it was nerfed in combination with the DK abilities.
  • hamon
    hamon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Innocente wrote: »
    And so it begins. The nerfs to skills to balance PvP that will make PvE a nightmare for many players. And down the road Z/B goes that all amateur MMO companies take. "Those who don't learn from the past..."

yes and i wonder how many of those "no no everything is fine with vet mode" folk actually said this cos they were drinking the impulse spam cool-ade.. take away their crutch and i'm guessing things won't be so fine.

• Azar08
    Azar08
    I guess you've never heard of Dark Exchange, or Shattering Prison, or Maybe Even Flawless Dawnbreaker? you're such a soft spoken innocently negatively impacted casual player who's leveling and survivability is solely impacted by the nerfs of the great economical degradation of exploitations by the masses! /cry on and on and o
  • Wavemoore
    Wavemoore
    ✭✭
    Oh noes... now all the uber faceroll is over :(

Guess there had to be one guy in there. Admittedly from 1-50 and maybe even V1-V3 it was pretty faceroll. However, I'm finding it not-so-much-faceroll anymore, and has transitioned to essential in the later zones where packs abound. This change will probably transition it to life-threatening for anything over 3 mobs, which is most of what we face in later V-content.

hamon wrote: »

yes and i wonder how many of those "no no everything is fine with vet mode" folk actually said this cos they were drinking the impulse spam cool-ade.. take away their crutch and i'm guessing things won't be so fine.

I was never one of those guys. Even when I play the flavor of the month builds I'm still not strong lol, just one of those casual players.

Indeed it is a crutch, as there really isn't any other AOE that does enough damage to take out packs, at least for a sorcerer (that I've found, good to preface everthing with that).

Not a whine thread, just a "concern" right now, as I have no idea of the degree of the change. It may have little impact. It may wreck the skill entirely. Hopefully it's somewhere in the middle.

And please guys, the community is what usually makes or breaks a game, especially MMOs. Why the everlasting need to jump in and be so nasty?? Let's keep the flaming down and have an actual conversation please. Thanks in advance :)
  • Wavemoore
    Wavemoore
    ✭✭
    Azar08 wrote: »
    I guess you've never heard of Dark Exchange, or Shattering Prison, or Maybe Even Flawless Dawnbreaker? you're such a soft spoken innocently negatively impacted casual player who's leveling and survivability is solely impacted by the nerfs of the great economical degradation of exploitations by the masses! /cry on and on and o

I'm glad I could supply you with your daily quota of tear down/feel good.

• elblobbob14_ESO
    elblobbob14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    This, plus the reduction of the ultimate generation, will certainly affect the AOE face-rolling (and yes, I took advantage of it), but I don't think it will eliminate my ability to take on the 5-pack mobs.

Like you said, another volcanic rune, maybe paying more attention to hardened ward, or thundering presence, possibly a different armor set, maybe adding some magicka armor and switching to the Thief mundus (now that they fixed it) instead of the Mage to get the extra crit.

I might have to actually pay attention to what types of mobs are in the group instead of just running in, tossing a volcanic rune and spamming Impulse.

When I see patch notes like this I take it as a challenge. It means I figured out a way to beat the game, and ZOS is pissed so they took it away. No worries, I'll adapt my play style, find another way. There's always a way :).
  • Wavemoore
    Wavemoore
    ✭✭
    I've been considering the extra crit as well once I saw the Thief mundus fix.

Might look into some of the other ultimates from the guilds as well to see what other combinations are available. Cool thing about this game is there are so many different builds available.

Like you said, I guess it's time to just come up with another one.
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They clearly don't want AoEs to be good in this game. Impulse was pretty much the last decent AoE.

I'll have to see how much they increased the cost, but I imagine its significant.

They've done nothing but nerf AoEs since September.

Just spec for single target and understand that this is their intention and likely won't change.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • ElliottXO
    ElliottXO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean no more staff users facerolling even single mobs with impulse?

Sounds like good news for me.
  • elblobbob14_ESO
    elblobbob14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    NordJitsu wrote: »
    Just spec for single target and understand that this is their intention and likely won't change.

The fact that they decreased ultimate generation from AOE's but increased it for single target certainly gives credibility to that statement.

I will say that being able to face-roll a V9 public dungeon (which I noticed they are also making harder) as a V7 probably wasn't the intended way to play the game, but it literally was 1) head into group of mobs 2) toss volcanic rune 3) spam impulse 4) loot 5) laugh and 6) repeat till inventory full.
  • disexistencenub19_ESO

It wasn't nerfed due to pvp. It was ridiculous all around. DK's have been soloing dungeons with that combo and the staff. There is a reason why almost every build/class was relying on it in veteran.
  • Wardan
    Wardan
    Soul Shriven
    I am only VR2 so have not had to face the higher HP VR5+ content so my rotation may change, but for now I use:

Surge-> Harness Magika-> Volcanic Rune->Elemental Ringx3->Volcanic Rune ->Elemental Ring x ?

My initial VR is at range, timed to explode just after my first ER hits.

Think of the second VR as your main form of CC. The only time you should be placing it at your feet is when you are up against all melee mobs.

I place the second VR, then myself, with 2 goals in mind.

1. Interrupt the spell caster
    2. Get the melee mobs to run into the rune circle.

If you have a ranged mob that backs away, VR him for 3+ sec CC but continue to burn the group down with ER

When I am down to 1 mob, I switch to my single target bar and MW to finish.

If there is a healer mob in the group, you need to get the second VR on it before it recovers from the first VR.

Absorption Field Ultimate makes this rotation easy mode. It was usually available every other rotation so I agree with the nerf.
    Edited by Wardan on May 22, 2014 5:22PM
  • Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Templar uses Impulse, it costs less than Solar Barrage but also does quite a bit less damage.

its really weird this is the change the are making.. makes no sense in many ways..

Solar Barrage has a massive damage boosting effect and more base damage in addition to its cost, Impulse has elemental effects.

That said, Solar Barrage cannot trigger destruction expert, which before patch could completly rebate the cost of one cast on each kill, which vs 6 mobs that take 6 impulses to kill basically gives you full MP after each fight. something that is really noticeable in the group public dungoens, where fighting 6+ is the norm and most mobs die in 4-5 Impulse casts.
    I play every class in every situation. I love them all.