The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Cheapest desktop pc components to run ESO on high/ultra? :D

Carsten27
Carsten27
Yo! So im going to be buying a desktopp at an upcoming tech market, due to my laptop and previous desktop not living up to my expectations in the graphics area to fully enjoy ESO- as most avid lovers of this game and its previous relatives would know, to really get into this game, graphics a smooth movements are vital, of which my computers cant cope with. So im buying it specifically for eso, I allready have the monitor, mouse, keyboard etc, I just need to upgrade CPU and graphics card :). Now, im going for an intel i5 and hoping that their is a descent graph card inside so I dont have to buy seperate, however just wondering, is there graphics card that I should look out for, that can run ESO specifically on high/ultra settings but isnt super expensive? Hit me up!
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    If its just for ESO then I would concentrate on getting the best CPU that you can as MMOs are typically more CPU intensive. I run ESO on high with textures at med and I only have a 550ti 1GB that I got on eBay for £30. It would really help if you posted your current desktop, what performance you are getting, how much you can spend, if you want parts to build one, possibility of upgrading current or if you are just buying a desktop out right.
  • Carsten27
    Carsten27
    cheers :) well here is the deal, i thought my laptop could run it, right before i knew what all the computer parts did like CPU, graph card, RAM and all that, one my laptop failed hard i resorted to an old family desktop, which failed harder. this desktop has an intel pentium 4 with like just a horrible old graphics card haha, which i now know after researching about computers that wow, to run it i would have to be dreaming lel. i spoke to a few people and i decided to go to a tech market and just buy a desktop of which i have heard sell good PC's (intel i5's with pretty good graphics cards) for like around $400. SO, in summary i was just gonna visit the market and look at the specs that they have set up and particularly look for an intel i5 with a GTX 660 and hopefull spend as little as possible (not too accurate on pricing but wouldnt want to spend over 500) :) what do you think on this?
  • Carsten27
    Carsten27
    also, is windows 7 or 8 better for ESO?
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its hard to tell, as the game is currently not optimized for quad core CPU´s.

If you go for a Haswell, then you might squeeze out a bit more now due the improved single core performance which is 6% to an Ivy and about 10 to a Sandy bridge, but once the game is optimized better you most likely wont notice a big difference.

Right now it might be the best idea to go for a cheap "k", whatever you can get and OC it to 4+ GHz.

As GPU I would recommend a 270x by AMD, its the cheapest and best card in that price section and it will run the game just fine. If you want to play other games as well with PhysX or shadow play by Nvidia, then going for a 760 or if you get an old 670 GTX might be an alternative, but it cost´s more with less FPS.

This is based on a full HD gaming experience, if you want more you must invest more of course.

And please, don't buy a premade PC. You pay a lot more money then and usually get weak components. Ask the tech shop if they can build you one, while you select the parts in case you don't dare to build it yourself.
    Edited by Audigy on May 19, 2014 3:03PM
  • GrimMauKin
    GrimMauKin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find it staggering that in this day and age a game isn't optimised for multi-core CPUs; old games like Dragon Age were multi-core optimised years ago.

This game could play so much better if Zenimax took the time to do it properly (multi-core optimisation, proper full screen mode etc.).

In terms of specs. it's hard to say; I have a first generation i5 which is pretty old, but well within spec. My graphics card is a Geforce 760 but the frame rates are so variable (24 - 100) it's hard to say what's going on.
    I am one of The Great Mediocracy, those whose role in life is to provide the baseline by which The Few deem themselves Great.
  • Carsten27
    Carsten27
    im not to knowledgeable with computers and parts 'Audigy', recon you could simplify what you said? :) also, i was planning on just visiting the tech market an checking out specs that they have set up and displaying on the screen. From what iv gathered, im looking for an intel i5 with a GTX 660...
  • Carsten27
    Carsten27
    its this weekend!!! what SHOULD i look for????