Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Lazarus_Long
Lazarus_Long
✭✭✭
This meant to be a list of short, generalized tips to help almost any build, no matter what class it's based on. It is (as the title states) targeted to new players or players having trouble with a new character build. These are not rules, just suggestions and some of them are vague on purpose. This is because there is no substitute for your own personal experience.

Some of these come from my experiences, but some I found in other threads on this forum during the last few stress tests of the beta. I just condensed them down. If you wish to contribute to this list please follow the guide lines at the end and post your tip(s) in a comment to this thread. When I have time I will update this post with your new tip(s) and credit you. I will ask the forum mods to delete all off topic posts. Please feel free to link to this thread as you see fit.

The List For Living
In no particular order

1.) Watch out for over charged stats on your character sheet. Do what you can to avoid them in order to minimize your weak points.

2.) Provisioning is a great way to get small but long term buffs. At low level you don't even need to put points into it.

3.) Just 2 pieces of heavy and/or medium armor make a huge difference at low level.

4.) Don't ignore your passive skills. They may seem like small effects, but they can help a lot.

5.) Anybody can sneak.

6.) Keep all of your items as close to your level as you can and keep them in good repair.

7.) A lot of the time it's cheaper to craft a new piece of armor than it is to repair a heavily damaged one.

8.) If you help a random player they will usually help you if they can. Even if you like to play solo, you can use the crowds during peak hours to your advantage. Credit: @zaria‌

9.) Use your Ultimate skills.

10.) Morph a skill as soon as you can to keep it's level progressing.

11.) Don't save skill points for later. If it turns out you don't like the build you have made that knowledge is worth the price of a respec.

12.) Learn how to improve the items you find and craft.

13.) Just because an item has a (insert color here) name doesn't mean it fits your build.

14.) Snares love DoT (Damage over Time), and DoT loves Snares.

15.) Blocking, interrupting, and stunning can be way better than dodging.

16.) Sometimes it's cheaper, faster, and more effective to sprint than dodge.

17.) Bosses often have henchman/flunkies/summons. It is usually best to kill them first, even if you have to stop attacking the boss for a bit. Credit: @LadyChaos

18.) When people say AoE they mean "Area of Effect" but it can also mean "Agro on Effect." Use these skills wisely.

19.) Learn how to use the local terrain to your best advantage. Trees, rocks, rivers, lava, tables, stairs, hills, etc. all have their good and bad points. Credit: @Sarenia‌

20.) When crafting, choose what each of your toons researches carefully. The time it takes gets very long, very fast! Credit: @Lalai

21.) Every class has at least one skill that they can use to heal themselves.

22.) Even if a group has a healer you should heal yourself too.

23.) Red is dead, plain and simple. If you do not interrupt or dodge an enemies attack that has a red marker on the ground or red sparkles on the mob you will most likely pay for it.

24.) Read all the books you find. They each have a reward but you might not know what it is right away. Credit: @Elirienne

Guide Lines for getting your tip on the list:

Keep it short. Do not include tips that only apply to a specific class, skill, or location. No spoilers. I may paraphrase or alter your tip to make it fit in with the rest of the list.

Thank you for contributing to our community!
Edited by Lazarus_Long on May 6, 2014 5:24AM

Hey Jute, get in my bag
Take a lag spike and make it better
Remember to let research play its part
Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    Reserved in case I need the space.

Hey Jute, get in my bag

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good guide, one thing is missing, its how you can use the chest and resource thieves called other players to something useful.

Other players are very useful, if you run into other players in a quest follow them, I find that most players work natural in team here. And two has double the dps of one.
    In short it can be smart to do hard quests in peak hour.
    No this don't work for all quests but almost all
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    For the crafting folks.. I would add to start researching early, and research often. The time a trait takes to research quickly starts to add up to days!
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    Lalai wrote: »
    For the crafting folks.. I would add to start researching early, and research often. The time a trait takes to research quickly starts to add up to days!

Very good point. I looked into it a bit and if the pattern of research times holds true it will take almost 6 years to research everything on one toon.
    Edited by Lazarus_Long on April 8, 2014 1:06AM

Hey Jute, get in my bag

• MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good point. I looked into it a bit and if the pattern of research times holds true it will take almost 6 years to research everything on one toon.

Not *quite* that long. Remember that there's a passive on each of the Smithing skills that reduces time taken and allows you to do multiple traits at once. Tamriel Journal has some great guides, for example: http://tamrieljournal.com/crafting-and-professions/clothing/

Also, I have to salute the pure awesomeness of your sig. Can I be a grammar *** and ask that you take out the errant apostrophe though? lol
    Observant wrote: »
    I can count to potato.
    another topic that cant see past its own farts.
    WWJLHD?
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    I fixes it, just for yous! XD

Hey Jute, get in my bag

• MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I fixes it, just for yous! XD

tumblr_inline_mqslsnCuIF1qz4rgp.gif

*white light flashes*
    Observant wrote: »
    I can count to potato.
    another topic that cant see past its own farts.
    WWJLHD?
  • Elirienne
    Elirienne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't believe you left out this:

1.) Read everything! Books can award skill points, quests, bonus locations.
  • Elirienne
    Elirienne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great guide by the way :)
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    Elirienne wrote: »

If I included everything myself, how would you get credit for helping?

Hey Jute, get in my bag

• Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Btw, never received any quests from a book :(
    People keep telling me they're gonna buy me an ale. They never do.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's culture. And the Elves.

Help make this compilation complete!
    Compilation of Ideas and Suggestions
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    Aeradon wrote: »

Btw, never received any quests from a book :(

The only one I have gotten (so far) wasn't really a quest from a book. It was the Mages' Guild quests. I am still hoping though since I have not read every single book in the game (yet). On the other hand, I read a book that gave me a map marker and when I went to the location I found an NPC with a quest.
    Edited by Lazarus_Long on May 20, 2014 7:39AM

Hey Jute, get in my bag

• RazzPitazz
    RazzPitazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    As early as possible, put a point in each class skill line (maybe weapon, too) even if you are not using it immediatly. Having them on the hotbar will level them up, allowing more flexibility later on especially if you are not sure what skills you WILL want.
    Edited by RazzPitazz on May 20, 2014 7:45AM
    PC NA
    VR1 - Jar'eed - Khajiit Dragon Knight - AD
    VR1 - Broad Tail - Argonian Templar - EP
    All-Star Crafter Guild