Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A respectful request ....

Badh0rse
Badh0rse
✭✭✭
Is there any news about the state of dungeons in this game? Will they remain the way they are or will it ever be a viable way to level your character? I run search after search for the answer and find nothing. Please almighty @Zen gods enlighten this poor soul.

Not sure if this is something that can even be answered publicly right now so I understand if I do not get a response.

Best Answer

• Samyaza
    Samyaza
    Soul Shriven
    The only mention on dungeons is there might be a scale system in place soon. Where the level of the group leader determines the level of the enemies.

Other than that, no clue sorry.

I advise you to install a mod that calculates experience...
    or
    Look at how much experience you start with then compare that to how much experience you end with for your answer.

Ultimately, all I can say is no dungeons are a poor source of exp.
    Normal mobs that can kill you quickly, game 5-30 exp each...

You get more experience questing, or killing the named mobs in solo/public dungeons. AKA what the botters did originally. The named mobs are 100 to 300 exp each and spawns relatively fast so yea.
  • Badh0rse
    Badh0rse
    ✭✭✭
    Samyaza wrote: »
    The only mention on dungeons is there might be a scale system in place soon. Where the level of the group leader determines the level of the enemies.

Other than that, no clue sorry.

I advise you to install a mod that calculates experience...
    or
    Look at how much experience you start with then compare that to how much experience you end with for your answer.

Ultimately, all I can say is no dungeons are a poor source of exp.
    Normal mobs that can kill you quickly, game 5-30 exp each...

You get more experience questing, or killing the named mobs in solo/public dungeons. AKA what the botters did originally. The named mobs are 100 to 300 exp each and spawns relatively fast so yea.

Thanks for the info you do have. Yeah, I have done the calculations and the xp in dungeons is terrible which is why I am dying to know the answer to this. I enjoy running "dungeons" and "raids" more than anything in a mmo. I also love this combat more than anything in any mmo. If I could be rewarded for doing these amazing dungeons it would be an mmo golden age for me!

• Hythrium
    Hythrium
    Soul Shriven
    They need to increase dungeon XP. at the moment it's laughable that grinding mobs is the fastest way to level.
  • Badh0rse
    Badh0rse
    ✭✭✭
    mhoughton wrote: »
    They need to increase dungeon XP. at the moment it's laughable that grinding mobs is the fastest way to level.

Being able to level doing dungeons is really a must for me in an mmo ... it's my favorite part of the whole genre. I just want to know what their stance is because if they have no intentions of changing it then I am wasting my time here. The part that really sucks is that when I paid 80 dollars for the game dungeons were completely different and a viable way to level. I would definitely be really sad if there is no change because the dungeons I have done, while useless for xp, have been amazingly fun. I just can't bring myself to repeat them for fun while my friends out level me questing.
  • Hythrium
    Hythrium
    Soul Shriven
    I agree completely, however I'm not asking for them to be the fastest method to level, but increase them so it is a possibility to do so.

I did city of ash again last week after doing the original quest to see what XP I would get from it.

I got 4% of my total level 30 XP bar, which is ridiculous.

That in my opinion needs to be significantly increased to about 30-40%. depending on the time taken to do the dungeon, and the amount of mobs / bosses to kill, this would obviously change, if a dungeon has 2 bosses, I wouldn't expect it to have the same XP gain as a 5 or 6 boss dungeon.

A method around this would be to give an experience boost on each boss kill, and an increase in small mobs would also be a wise move.
  • Badh0rse
    Badh0rse
    ✭✭✭
    mhoughton wrote: »
    I agree completely, however I'm not asking for them to be the fastest method to level, but increase them so it is a possibility to do so.

I did city of ash again last week after doing the original quest to see what XP I would get from it.

I got 4% of my total level 30 XP bar, which is ridiculous.

That in my opinion needs to be significantly increased to about 30-40%. depending on the time taken to do the dungeon, and the amount of mobs / bosses to kill, this would obviously change, if a dungeon has 2 bosses, I wouldn't expect it to have the same XP gain as a 5 or 6 boss dungeon.

A method around this would be to give an experience boost on each boss kill, and an increase in small mobs would also be a wise move.

I wouldn't mind leveling through dungeons at half the rate a quester levels questing. I definitely do not want dungeons to be the best way to level. I just want them to be a possible way to level that is not ridiculously slow.

Edit: Found this in my many searches. Kind of vague but I would like to know what they mean exactly. In bold towards bottom of list is what I am referring to. Everything on that list looks pretty nice though. :)

COMING IN FUTURE UPDATES

Along with fixing bugs, combatting black market gold farmers, and balance tweaks, we have a long list of features and updates we’re working on that will be coming throughout 2014 and beyond. Here’s a sneak peek at what’s coming up. For most of these, we don’t know yet which update they’ll be in, but they’re under active development right now:

A system that allows grouped players to see each other even when they’re in different phases
    A justice system—steal from and kill NPCs and deal with the consequences if you are caught
    Migration of European Megaserver to our European datacenter.
    Field of View (FOV) adjustment
    Armor dyeing and tinting
    Two new Veteran Dungeons: Crypt of Hearts and City of Ash
    New region of Craglorn with a new Trial (the Serpent)
    Increased ability to pick up items in the world
    Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood storyline and quests.
    Spellcrafting
    Horse Racing
    Dragonstar Arena—similar to Trials, but built for a group of four
    Improvements to fishing
    Crafting system improvements
    Improved Looking for Group system
    Better NPC facial animations
    Guild functionality updates: guild store interface updates, customizable guild insignias, tabards, and guild ranks, and Guild Kiosks—guild stores open to everyone that are available to the highest-bidding guild.
    Auto-leveling dungeons that level to your group leader
    Awards when you repeat dungeons
    Imperial City PvP dungeon
    Edited by Badh0rse on May 19, 2014 2:12PM
  • Tuerai
    Tuerai
    Those all sound amazing
    "We were undone because of you. Every day, every day, in the dark, in the dawn, forever, r-r-rip, r-r-rip, r-r-rub, r-r-rub, right in our faces, because of you."
  • Badh0rse
    Badh0rse
    ✭✭✭
    Tuerai wrote: »
    Those all sound amazing

Yes, there certainly is some exciting things on that list. This one really has my imagination running wild: Imperial City PvP dungeon. Not entirely sure what that is buuuuut YES. I played warhammer online and when you took a city there were instances there ... lots of fun. Or maybe it's a dungeon with real enemies in it and you are fighting for control/completion. Either way I wants some of that!

I wish the devs had a weekly or bi weekly stream where they interacted with the community, dished out info, and answered forum questions. Not a must by any means but it would be awesome!
    Edited by Badh0rse on May 19, 2014 3:55PM
  • VycDarkshadow
    VycDarkshadow
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 46 on my main (ran a few alts that i didn't have time to test during beta, and ended up deleting all but one of them), and have yet to need to grind on anything. There's so many quests that there's almost no need for grinding. And with the Daggerfall Covenant available for my EP Argonian, i've had an entire new faction worth of quests to work on.
    Vyc Ðarkshådøw
  • VycDarkshadow
    VycDarkshadow
    ✭✭✭
    And as far as dungeons go, i see those as a "one and done". I find the quests a lot more interesting than running the same instance over and over and over and over again. Maybe i just care too much about storylines and not enough about speed running to max level. (Shrugs)
    Vyc Ðarkshådøw
  • Badh0rse
    Badh0rse
    ✭✭✭
    And as far as dungeons go, i see those as a "one and done". I find the quests a lot more interesting than running the same instance over and over and over and over again. Maybe i just care too much about storylines and not enough about speed running to max level. (Shrugs)

I completely respect that play style and those who enjoy questing. I really don't care for it. To me running dungeons over and over is not a grind ... it is fun! I find the content far more challenging and I spend less time talking to NPC's. To me quest are a grind ... just two different views for two different people. I want everyone to do what they enjoy without losing out big time on xp is all. :)

edit: I just want to say that the quests in this game are the best from any mmo I have ever played. I still would rather do dungeons for 60-75% of my leveling.

Edited by Badh0rse on May 19, 2014 4:14PM
  • KonaiNobi
    KonaiNobi
    Soul Shriven
    Re phase displacement:

I don't understand why all the members of a group can not be synchronized to the lowest phase of any group member. e.g.:

Player1 is on phase 3
    Player2 is on phase 2
    Player3 is on phase 1
    Player4 is on phase 4
    Player5 has completed the quest

Players 1, 2, 4, and 5 are all brought down to phase 1 and are allowed to repeat the content because they are assisting another player.

Problem solved.
  • Bherdani
    Bherdani
    ✭✭✭
    On PTS, dungeons used to be a solid source of xp until they patched it (17, I think). Their aim was to prevent grinding dungeons for xp, so I don't think they have any intention of reversing that, since it's behavior they want to prevent. If you get an addon, you'll see PvE is *by far* the best source of xp, followed by PvP. In the future, however, you sound like someone who'll enjoy the crap outta the AZs.
    Nightfighters - Legion of the Bloodworks
    www.elderscrubsonline.com
    NO PARKING IN THE RED
    Proud member of The Psijic Order - Team 0.016%
  • Badh0rse
    Badh0rse
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I definitely will love AZ's! I just look to the future and see that I will have absolutely zero incentive to make another character. I refuse to do all these damn quests again! The only reason I put up with it now is because at the core this game is so amazing but I do have to say that as awesome as the combat and everything is I can only play an hour or two at a time ... I get too bored of the quest grind.

I am patient with new mmo's (comes from experience) and I will not really judge them until this winter. If things are still as they are then ..... well .. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
  • Toorlokviing
    Toorlokviing
    ✭✭✭
    the closest thing to it being viable is zos is looking into giving repeatable rewards when doing dungeons multiple times when in a group...i think this may only apply to private dungeon for 4 ppl
  • Badh0rse
    Badh0rse
    ✭✭✭
    the closest thing to it being viable is zos is looking into giving repeatable rewards when doing dungeons multiple times when in a group...i think this may only apply to private dungeon for 4 ppl

I wish I knew what they meant by repeatable rewards. Does that mean just loot or xp and loot? I personally am not a public dungeon kinda guy but I love instanced group content.

• glak
    glak
    ✭✭✭
    KonaiNobi wrote: »
    Re phase displacement:

I don't understand why all the members of a group can not be synchronized to the lowest phase of any group member. e.g.:

Player1 is on phase 3
    Player2 is on phase 2
    Player3 is on phase 1
    Player4 is on phase 4
    Player5 has completed the quest

Players 1, 2, 4, and 5 are all brought down to phase 1 and are allowed to repeat the content because they are assisting another player.

Problem solved.

This is what most people suggested in beta.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I myself only do dungeons because their quests count toward that zones quest achievement, as well as the gear you get. The XP you get from them Is total crap(only 6K for a vet dungeon?? really zenimax????) and the hassle it is to find a group is often not worth it. They need to beef up the rewards you get from dungeons, and make group finding MUCH easier. not meaning to sound like a hater, but when I look for a group for dungeons in WoW, it takes 2 minutes most of the time. In ESO, I find myself wait 40mins to 2 hours just to find a group for a dungeon.
    Edited by Cody on May 21, 2014 11:06PM
  • Toorlokviing
    Toorlokviing
    ✭✭✭
    i would like dungeoning to be another viable option to level...as much as i respect zos and the wonderful quests they made....its only entertaining a few playthroughs before you get bored and want another way to level ...the multiple rewards thing may be their shot at another viable way to level your character which is what im hoping they plan on doing.
  • jbfroik
    jbfroik
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still not sure if i feel like grinding mobs is the fastest route, i feel like questing and exploration are where it is at early on. I could be wrong but meh, I got from 1 to 30 something in like 3 days and enjoyed myself doing it. I'm sure i could grind dungeons and mobs all day but it would be a drag and really be less fun seeing as the one purple item i found wasn't even from a dungeon. So why bother with a grind I'll just keep RPGing my Dunmer ass off :D
  • Badh0rse
    Badh0rse
    ✭✭✭
    jbfroik wrote: »
    I'm still not sure if i feel like grinding mobs is the fastest route, i feel like questing and exploration are where it is at early on. I could be wrong but meh, I got from 1 to 30 something in like 3 days and enjoyed myself doing it. I'm sure i could grind dungeons and mobs all day but it would be a drag and really be less fun seeing as the one purple item i found wasn't even from a dungeon. So why bother with a grind I'll just keep RPGing my Dunmer ass off :D

I am glad you enjoy questing, others do not. This is not a debate on that matter though. It is simply a request for more information. I do however have a very heated debate going on in my thread called "Vote for Leveling Equality" if you wanted to pop in there and argue the merit of questing vs dungeons vs crafting etc..

• Goldie
    Goldie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out the new patch, seems things are being addressed that may even out the gameplay/experience gains and so on. You might even actually be able to level a character solely in a PVP Campaign...

Thoughts?
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar
  • Halrloprillalar
    Halrloprillalar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PVP kill XP has been increased over threefold (at least VP, idk about XP since I only play a VR2 and a VR7)

Dungeon XP is still crap (except the first time quest)
  • glitchmaster999
    glitchmaster999
    ✭✭✭✭
    They have said they are adding more rewards for repeating dungeons now, including xp buffs and item drops, if I wasnt on my phone id find the thread.
  • Badh0rse
    Badh0rse
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the info guys. I am just gonna unsub and take a little break ... see if they pull this game together and make some changes. I have real life stuff to do anyway and I am sick of endless questing.
    I will be keeping an eye on the patches though and the second running dungeons is a viable way to progress I will be back in a flash. Wish you all the best and hope you have fun.

ps: No, I am not going to wildstar or to WoW . Just a friendly farewell, not an angry rage quit post. :)
  • GrimCyclone
    GrimCyclone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure they will mostly remain this way. ZoS will probably include a better party finder/organizer system, but that'll be about it other than a few encounter fine tunings.
  • Fi'yra
    Fi'yra
    ✭✭✭
    Once you hit Veteran 1, it is very possible to run instances for XP, it's even faster than questing/PvP

Although you can run Veteran dungeons, you can also run Craglorn - Most of this game is set out there for the Veterans, and it's a fast paced game, just don't forget that:)
    AD - PC/EU
    Get Wrobled
  • silent88b14_ESO
    silent88b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure they will mostly remain this way. ZoS will probably include a better party finder/organizer system, but that'll be about it other than a few encounter fine tunings.
    That would be unfortunate.

Behold the great Oak. Just a little nut who stood his ground.
  • Badh0rse
    Badh0rse
    ✭✭✭
    So after unsubbing for a while, coming back, and then eventually dragging myself through all the tedious questing I am vet rank. Can anyone tell me if VR dungeons are repeatable for xp or are they just like the ones from 1-50? Any info is greatly appreciated as this is going to be the reason I stay or go. I already refuse to pay my own sub for this game and a friend who desperately wants me to play is paying for it. I will not even play it on someone else's money if it means more damn questing. I do however love the core combat in this game and Elder Scrolls in general so I am really, really, hoping that my playstyle fits in to this game somewhere.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no clue..but also not sure why this appears under my unanswered list.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501