Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[PTS] Death Recap Feature

Moonraker
Moonraker
✭✭✭✭
It was mentioned previously by Paul Sage ZOS and now included in the Patch Notes 1.1 for that upcoming Update but I thought it may be of interest to see what sort of information you will see on a Death Recap.

From the Patch Notes 1.1;
Death Recap
Death Recap has been added to the game. When your character dies, a Death Recap window will now appear. It includes vital information about what contributed to your character’s death, including the most recent damage inflicted on your character and helpful hints to avoid death in the future based on how your character just perished.

1zrxpi6de6p7.png
The details are useful and well presented I think. The hints are also a nice touch especially for new players as they progress through the game and encounter new attacks and abilities used by NPCs.

ps I wish I could say No mages were harmed in the making if this screenshot but that would be a lie ;)
  • Noswell
    Noswell
    ✭✭✭
    Good stuff. It would be nice if there were some kind of marker on the the mob abilities to indicate that they have a telegraph. Not that it's too hard to figure out, but would be helpful to new players.

Maybe a cone or circle icon for example.
  • Orizuru
    Orizuru
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm... I'm guessing that first bite in the list was a crit. I would prefer that it indicated this more clearly, but other than that this looks like a great feature!
  • ChairGraveyard
    ChairGraveyard
    ✭✭✭✭
    It has a toggle to turn it off right?
  • daneyulebub17_ESO
    daneyulebub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aw, man, I thought it would be a slow motion cut scene of your death, like crashes in racing games, that you camera-rotate around all matrix-like and watch in all it's gory glory.

Maybe in 1.2?
    This message confirms that you have successfully cancelled your subscription to The Elder Scrolls Online. You will no longer be charged for a subscription on a recurring basis, and your access to the game will expire at the end of your current subscription cycle.

We're sad to see you go now, but we'll be happy to welcome you back at any time! Whenever you're ready to come back, your characters will be waiting for you, just like you left them. You can return anytime by resubscribing on the Manage Subscription page on your Elder Scrolls Online account.

Please print this email and keep it for your records.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep there is a hot key. Not in settings but then it's only displayed on the death screen.
    Edited by Moonraker on May 16, 2014 9:38PM
  • Arthur_Spoonfondle
    Arthur_Spoonfondle
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aw, man, I thought it would be a slow motion cut scene of your death, like crashes in racing games, that you camera-rotate around all matrix-like and watch in all it's gory glory.

We are greatly fortunate that it is not.
    Moonraker wrote: »
    Yep there is a hot key. Not in settings but then it's only displayed on the death screen.

I hope it stays that way when the patch goes live.

Edited by Arthur_Spoonfondle on May 18, 2014 3:37PM
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A combat log would have sufficed just as well, and not have required all the extra unnecessary flare.

This also does not provide any "Hints" on how to deal with encounters where pidgin-holed, cookie-cutter builds/classes can obliterate 5-7 mob pulls with impunity, where other class skills are completely inadequate to the tasks for which they were designed, resulting in repeated deaths, repair bills, and general frustration/hatred. (Ability Skills versus Vampire/Weapon Skills)

TL;DR
    Nice death info screen bro.
    Thank you for spending all that dev time to create something that was unnecessarily dramatic, instead of investing that time to fix known game-breaking bugs and imbalances that have been unacceptably present since beta.
    At least we know where your priorities are.
    Edited by OmniDo on May 18, 2014 5:13PM
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noswell wrote: »
    Good stuff. It would be nice if there were some kind of marker on the the mob abilities to indicate that they have a telegraph. Not that it's too hard to figure out, but would be helpful to new players.

Maybe a cone or circle icon for example.

Mostly, we just need better cues for first-person melee players (first person ranged here, so I can see the telegraphs, though I have no idea if someone's behind me while I'm fighting things in front of me.)
  • Greatfellow
    Greatfellow
    ✭✭✭
    How do I turn off Death Recap, without having to die to do it? That was the most annoying death I had, today, with that stupid screen popping up all happy and pristine, unsolicited, while i lay on my back in the mud just trying to get the hell back into battle. Put a freaking OFF switch on Death Recap, in the keybindings, please. It's bad enough that my broken Nightblade is waiting for some fixes, that he now has to look up in death at this screen, symbol of hours he wishes had been spent fixing the Nightblade bugs.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    How do I turn off Death Recap, without having to die to do it? That was the most annoying death I had, today, with that stupid screen popping up all happy and pristine, unsolicited, while i lay on my back in the mud just trying to get the hell back into battle. Put a freaking OFF switch on Death Recap, in the keybindings, please. It's bad enough that my broken Nightblade is waiting for some fixes, that he now has to look up in death at this screen, symbol of hours he wishes had been spent fixing the Nightblade bugs.
    There is a keybind already to toggle it which it indicates under the Death Recap.
  • Kaco
    Kaco
    Soul Shriven
    Yeah we need an option to stop this showing all the time after a relog. I dont care to see this stuff at all and agree with OmniDo on this. I know what killed me and dont need the game kicking me while I am down.
    Edited by Kaco on June 6, 2014 5:17PM
  • Phantax
    Phantax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must admit I do like the 'Death recap' feature (big +1 for Zenimax)

;)
    High Elf Sorcerer VR12 - Destro / Resto Staff
    I'm a werewolf. If you vamps don't like it.... Bite me !
    We're not retreating... we're advancing in a different direction !
  • Zorrashi
    Zorrashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hints are a nice touch
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aquiella wrote: »
    Is the death cap broken because I noticed Champions with 561 or whatever kill my character, then I go to check out what did it shows a level 6 or 16 killed me? Is that a bug or are these people cheating?

The levels you see in the death recap are the players' Alliance War rank ... not their actual character level.

Level 6 means they are Alliance War rank Tyro Grade 2. Level 16 means they are Alliance War rank First Seargent Grade 2.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Alliance_Points