The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Beta Launcher Update Frozen

BoloBoffin
BoloBoffin
✭✭✭✭✭
I had the beta launcher installed. It detected an update, and like several times before, it started the process of updating the launcher.

However this time, the launcher window disappears, I get a more normal window that says launcher with an Updating meter, and it stays frozen about 5%, I'd estimate. There's an abstract graphic above the Updating meter that keeps changing, but that's the only sign of life.

This has been going on for hours. Am I the only one?
Edited by ZOS_Bill on March 20, 2024 4:51PM
I ride in a zerg ball of one.
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t know if this will help, but recently, when something similar like this happened to me, right clicking and running the launcher as an administrator instead of just clicking on it normally worked.
    Edited by Elvenheart on March 14, 2024 7:48PM
  • BoloBoffin
    BoloBoffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elvenheart wrote: »
    I don’t know if this will help, but recently, when something similar like this happened to me, right clicking and running the launcher as an administrator instead of just clicking on it normally worked.

That sounds like it should have worked! But I'm right back to this frozen plain launcher update screen. But, thank you!
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When game updates used to freeze at 21% for me I had to cancel the update, disable Windows Defender, restart the update and it would complete normally; and of course then re-enable Windows Defender.

Also make sure you've allowed access to the beta launcher in Windows Firewall (or other firewall apps as well as antivirus apps).
    Edited by TaSheen on March 14, 2024 8:07PM

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • BoloBoffin
    BoloBoffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turning off the firewall changed nothing. Weird.

Here's what this thing looks like. I don't think I've ever seen the launcher change to this form before.

Well, it's not letting me upload it. It's a 31K jpg, so it can't be a size thing.

I do know that I can start ESO using the .exe, but I know I shouldn't be. But right now, that's the only way to play the game. There's no way to stop the Launcher from going into this update cycle now and freezing.

Edited by BoloBoffin on March 14, 2024 11:03PM
  • BoloBoffin
    BoloBoffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I uninstalled and reinstalled ESO so that the launcher would stop attempting to update. No matter if the firewall were on or off, the launcher would always freeze up and shed any artwork to be a more normal looking progress window. And I could always start the game using the .exe file.

And now that it's all done, I will not be using the beta launcher anymore. I agree it's weird that this is just me, apparently. But now it's fixed and done.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the PC Technical Support section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Thanks for sharing the steps you've taken in order to resolve this launcher issue. As the OP has now gotten this launcher issue fixed, we are going to close this discussion from further posts.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.