The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

daily rewards - free dlc

CoronHR
CoronHR
✭✭✭✭✭
i think it's great that they've decided to give away an entire dlc as a daily reward ... but don't nearly all of us have this already?!? i suppose some people don't have it yet, so, good for them
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on March 2, 2024 4:50AM
PC - EU - Steam client
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I guess many have it via ESO plus, collecting this way means you will still have it even if you end the subscription
    Soupy twist
  • BenTSG
    BenTSG
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've already all the DLCs anyways (minus the dungeon ones) so any DLC giveaways don't end up benefitting me at all, but like you said it is still good on ZoS for doing it, just a bit of a shame that I'll miss out on most of the free stuff, aside from the crown store items they're giving away for achivements which is still something at least and I hope they keep this trend up.
  • BenTSG
    BenTSG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nevermind, double posted apparently
    Edited by BenTSG on March 1, 2024 9:20AM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think most long-term players do have it already, many people who don't subscribe buy the DLCs directly (and often cite that as one of the reasons they don't subscribe - once you have permanent access to those areas the subscription is less appealing) and of course anyone who is currently subscribed will have temporary access for as long as they keep paying.

It's not the first time they've given away a DLC as a login reward (I think Murkmire was the first) but they've usually been new DLCs and later in the month.

My guess is either there's been a lot of new players over the last few months and ZOS is trying to get them interested in buying DLC by giving away what is one of the oldest ones but also commonly considered one of the best, or they're planning a lot of promotion in March (leading into the 10th anniversary) and are going to advertise this as an extra incentive for people who aren't interested to buy the game and start playing now instead of putting it off.

Or it could be a first step towards making Orsinium permanently free like they did with Imperial City, and sort-of did with Morrowind (it's not free as an standalone purchase but even the cheapest 'standard' version of ESO now includes it).
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Long term players would have other stuff, it's not taking anything from us. New ones would definitely appreciate it especially in regions where you can't sub or buy crowns and too early in the game to buy it with gold.
  • Drammanoth
    Drammanoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a marketing standpoint, this is a very bold and potentially quite profitable move. I must say, something has changed in ZOS. People will have their "BUT BUT BUTs" always, buuuuut... there is clear improvement.

And it can get them far.

I too have Orsinium, bought it for cash years ago, and have never regretted it. Beautiful, harsh, mountainous.

ZOS continues to impress.
    My wishlist for ESO
    I.Skills:
    >>weapons: Polearms, Unarmed, Crossbow

>>Sorc's Twilight - perched animation

>>a skill line - a guild having this - to enable us to increase % gold gain for donating Ornate gear (another gold sink in order to gain more pennies - but over time it would pay off)

II.Overland Mechanics
    >>tree climing in Grahtwood / Malabal Tor / Greenshade, etc. (with tall trees)

>>rock climbing in Glenumbra / Rivenspire / Stonefalls, etc. (with tall peaks)

>>new skill lines - Adventure (enable climbing, increase flora and fauna harvesting chances)

III.CP 2.0
    >>Craft Tree development --> https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/594079/idea-craft-cp-sub-tree-ideas-constant-wip#latest

III.Replayable content in overland
    >>dynamic pocket rifts to Oblivion - eg. to Vaermina's in Stormhaven, Boethiah's in Deshaan, Hircine's in the Rift OR in Bankgorai, etc. to get Daedric Sets relevant to the Prince, something like Oblivion rifts in Blackwood / the Deadlands

IV.Geography
    >>Pyandonea - we had some quests WITH Maormer (Summerset, High Isle) - maybe we could meet them there? Poke poke, nudge nudge, wink wink, eh ZOS?

>>Norg-Tzel - for Mara's sake, ZOS, REMOVE it from the list please!

V.Other
    (the ideas are also inspired by other Forum Users' posts)
    >>pet battles! We collect SO MANY pets, and yet there are just a cosmetic. What a HUGE potential lies within those tiny beats!

>>ASOC - a new server in Asia and Oceania. If people have a bad ping there, it would be great if they had a server reaching their places more easily. And hey, it would make THREE servers, not two.

>>highlighting WBs that are being fought

>>possibility to dye barding

>>possibility to switch UI between guild bank<-->bank<-->guild trader

>>display the dialogue options so that we can see which answer the NPC is reacting to

>>a way to make Overland more challenging - for those who want
  • Blood_again
    Blood_again
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CoronHR wrote: »
    i think it's great that they've decided to give away an entire dlc as a daily reward ... but don't nearly all of us have this already?!?

Many new players joined the game with new chapter or EGS giveaway. They play 10 and 8 months accordingly.
    I guess that barely quarter of them have Orsinium bought. Especially free registered ones, who I predict are the least DLC buyers among the whole audience.

From my own story.
    I joined Spring 2015. First stepped to Wrothgar with ESO+ Winter 2016. Bought Orsinium as a part of 4 DLC Pack way way later, I guess somewhere in the middle of 2017.
    So in fact I bought the first DLC 26 months after I joined the game, 19 months after I first played this DLC.

8-10 months people play is a short term. So current Orsinium giveaway definitely makes sence, if you ask me.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't buy dlcs, as I have always subbed my 3 accounts. I have from freebies Murkmire, and one other I don't remember right now, and then will have Orsinium tomorrow.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • SilkInTheStrings
    SilkInTheStrings
    Soul Shriven
    As someone who just started the game a few weeks ago, I am excited to have a free dlc. Trying to play stuff in order but haven't bought anything besides the base game.
    Daylight Dancer - Redguard Templar
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the new dungeons have some kind of connection to the Orsinium story line. And the upcoming Chapter probably will, too. So this makes it easier to have prologue quests or other new content weave in Orsinium without angering too many players because they feel compelled to purchase content.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Seems cheap giving access as a reward for paying for access...

Can I get a reduction in the ESO+ price now that I own Orsinium? ;)
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    no. many of us dont. great rewards this month :)
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm overjoyed. I played it lots on PC years ago. I don't have DLCs since I moved to Xbox. I played a lot during the recent ESO+ free week, but as I don't sub at the moment it's very welcome.

After they gave away Imperial City I decided not to buy DLCs and if you're patient enough I'm sure they'll.all be free eventually. I'm very patient, except when I feel I have to sub for a month.
  • RetPing
    RetPing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should have done someting like as crates, when you get something you already have you got some gems.

Maybe give half of the Orsinium value in Crowns to people that already have it or something else.
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    I think most long-term players do have it already, many people who don't subscribe buy the DLCs directly (and often cite that as one of the reasons they don't subscribe - once you have permanent access to those areas the subscription is less appealing) and of course anyone who is currently subscribed will have temporary access for as long as they keep paying.

It's not the first time they've given away a DLC as a login reward (I think Murkmire was the first) but they've usually been new DLCs and later in the month.

My guess is either there's been a lot of new players over the last few months and ZOS is trying to get them interested in buying DLC by giving away what is one of the oldest ones but also commonly considered one of the best, or they're planning a lot of promotion in March (leading into the 10th anniversary) and are going to advertise this as an extra incentive for people who aren't interested to buy the game and start playing now instead of putting it off.

Or it could be a first step towards making Orsinium permanently free like they did with Imperial City, and sort-of did with Morrowind (it's not free as an standalone purchase but even the cheapest 'standard' version of ESO now includes it).

Morrowind is free as a standalone purchase dlc within the crown store, so even if you were a longtime player who bought the game back when Morrowind didn't exist, you can still get it for free. They did this in an update a while ago.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was very confused as well. Orsinium dropped in 2015, 9 years ago. If you have been around since then, or even since the last 5 years, how do you not have Orsinium? At the very least, you get Maelstrom Arena, which has had the top PVE weapon(s) for most of that time period.

I know there are players who only do PVP or do not do trials/dungeons, but still. I'm not going to say VMA weapons are vital to the game, but they are very strong and very nice to have
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I only access it via ESO+, I don't buy DLCs.
    Thanks for offering the best DLC, ZOS.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious about what people who already own Orsinium will get instead of it, we obviously can't claim it twice.
    I'm guessing possibly Crown Gems like with the Crates.
    It'd be a bit of a middle finger if it's nothing though.
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was very confused as well. Orsinium dropped in 2015, 9 years ago. If you have been around since then, or even since the last 5 years, how do you not have Orsinium? At the very least, you get Maelstrom Arena, which has had the top PVE weapon(s) for most of that time period.

I know there are players who only do PVP or do not do trials/dungeons, but still. I'm not going to say VMA weapons are vital to the game, but they are very strong and very nice to have

Only been on Xbox for a year. Decided there was enough to do with all the chapters. and I did the main Orsinium quest many years ago on PC. However, I never completed VMA even on PC. I will soon rectify that.
  • Rufusstan
    Rufusstan
    ✭✭
    I already have the DLC, and don't worry about it being given away. I do worry about the practicalities though, of what happens if you already have it. Can you claim it again, even if you get nothing, or does it mess up future days. I could just not claim anything tomorrow, but the way the rewards work mean I couldn't get the reward from the last day of the month. I already have the Craglorn Welva as well, with the same potential problems.
  • Rufusstan
    Rufusstan
    ✭✭
    Ignore the above. I Found the answer in the Sticky thread. (Which I didn't notice it until after I posted).
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

I think the promotion idea is probably why it's available so early in the month, because even if someone new doesn't buy ESO until late in the month they will probably still be able to claim Orsinium for free.

I buy all DLCs, didn't begin subbing to ESO Plus until after buying many DLCs, and still buy all newer DLCs despite maintaining an active sub, but I did hesitate for a long time before finally deciding to sub, and the fact that I already owned all of the DLCs was a big factor in my hesitation, so I get why some players might see owning DLCs as a reason not to sub. But in my opinion the other benefits from subbing are still well worth the sub cost, although I suppose that also depends on each player's own needs. For instance, players who don't hoard won't see much benefit from doubled bank space, players who don't furnish any of their housing won't see much benefit from doubled housing space, players who don't buy from the Crown Store won't see much benefit from the "free" Crowns, players who don't grind for XP won't see much benefit from increased XP gains, etc.

Anyway, I think it's an awesome reward, even if I won't gain any benefit from it (except perhaps on my free Epic account). It's a great zone, and players who've never experienced it before are in for a treat.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own Wrothgar on one account. I have another account I pretty much never play, but I'm logging in twice this month to get Wrothgar in case I start playing it more.

I have no problem with ZOS giving away the DLC to people because the content is quite old at this point.

• El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mesite wrote: »

Only been on Xbox for a year. Decided there was enough to do with all the chapters. and I did the main Orsinium quest many years ago on PC. However, I never completed VMA even on PC. I will soon rectify that.

Good luck! BTW, you can get the weapons on normal, the perfected are only minimally better. But its all about the Stormproof title! :)

And to clarify, I have zero problem with it being given out for free. Was just kind of surprised people had not obtained it earlier.
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After a few years of dutifully collecting the daily rewards and viewing the contents I personally think that these rewards are primarily aimed to give a new player a leg up into the saddle so to speak. This is good IMO as more experienced players should not need these boni. However, while saying that, I personally bank all the tri-pots, riding upgrades, crown food etc as these are extremely useful when creating new alts.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Hey there,

Due to there already being a thread discussing Daily Login Rewards–March 2024, we are going to close this down so that you may continue the discussion here.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.