The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Why do you not craft?

OutLaw_Nynx
OutLaw_Nynx
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Mods: this is not a question for crafting tips or requests! Please do not move this!!! This is a general question. I don’t want this thread to die.

As my title says: why do you not craft? Research traits are so easy these days. Majority of people that do craft are more than happy to make you something so you can research. Researching a trait is super easy too. You just press a button and wait x days to learn. I honestly come across so many people that don’t have anything researched and these players aren’t new either! Just am curious. Please civil and don’t attack each other.

Best Answer

• AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being a full 9 trait crafter with load of recipes and motifs seems like an overwhelming task initially. When I was new, experienced players assured me that one character can earn enough skill points to master all crafting and a robust selection of combat skills. Sure enough that is the case. My main has crafting and combat fully covered and is sitting on about 75 extra skill points.

Inventory is also a concern for some I should think. I decided pretty early on in ESO to go 'all in' and subscribe to ESO+. Managing mats without the craftibag is something I don't think I'd fancy.

There are several very nice crafted sets that often serve very well (Julianos, Order's Wrath just to name a couple). A big advantage of crafted sets is the ability to craft the armor in any weight you want.

For those who are into housing, crafting furnishings can help trim the cost of that expensive endeavor.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on March 1, 2024 12:09AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
    Answer ✓
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My assumption is that most people just don't want to take the time to do it.
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • AlterBlika
    AlterBlika
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have all traits researched but I don't craft anything if it's not daily writs
    Might as well have not researched them since crafted gear is trash anyway though. Not playing the game for crafting
  • OutLaw_Nynx
    OutLaw_Nynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lumsdenml wrote: »
    My assumption is that most people just don't want to take the time to do it.

Just seems weird but that’s honestly probably the main reason lol
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do daily writs on around 15 characters (over 3 accounts both PC NA and EU); and my mains craft gear for the lowerbies and themselves. Crafted gear is fine for someone who just solos. My stam mains wear Hexos' Ward (not crafted) and Hundings, with Sellistrix shoulders and Oakensoul (not HA - I don't like that playstyle). My mag characters (not my mains - I don't really like mag in TES, haven't ever) wear.... um. I actually don't even know right now, not in game. *shrug*

I just don't play mag characters very much....

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlterBlika wrote: »
    Might as well have not researched them since crafted gear is trash anyway though. Not playing the game for crafting

That's not quite true. I know quite a few people who use crafted sets in end game content.... Order's Wrath, Night Mother's Gaze, New Moon's Acolyte, Daedric Trickery... those are all still viable sets.
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lumsdenml wrote: »

That's not quite true. I know quite a few people who use crafted sets in end game content.... Order's Wrath, Night Mother's Gaze, New Moon's Acolyte, Daedric Trickery... those are all still viable sets.
    Yes, the first thing I did when my main character finished leveling up crafting is to craft an Order's Wrath set to use. Later on, when I created 7 alt characters, my main character crafted 2 sets for each alt character designed to help them level up, in level 6, then 26, and then 40.
    Edited by vsrs_au on March 1, 2024 12:23AM
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Adremal
    Adremal
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do craft and have everything researched, plus more motifs than I care to remember. Exclusively for my alts and friends/guildies though when it comes to sets. I do craft a lot of furnishings though. Again mostly for myself, unless some friend asks. I guess I could sell crafted stuff, especially in rare motifs or rare furnishings, but I have no need for gold, being self-sufficient as I am a few million liquidity is more than enough to have. As to furnishing I easily have hundreds of millions worth of them, so yeah, what would I spend gold on? Tri-pots? But I make them myself too.
    All in all, "why do people not craft?" is a valid question... but. Crafting can be intimidating to new players (and even not-so-new players), and it can get time-consuming. Plus people on console lack add-ons, and I probably wouldn't do much crafting either without add-ons. So that's probably why many people don't craft.
  • Foxtrot39
    Foxtrot39
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dont because I dont need to nor ask if someone needs such services

Alchemy/housing is out of question due to the mat cost

One reason being unlike dungeon/overland sets you dont have a set page for crafted gear in your journal, instead you need an addon that shows the set stats when hovering over them on the map or use a 3rd party database such as website to see their effect without having to interact with one of its crafting stations

And as human mind is lazy even having to do 2-3 extra clics is deemed not worth it
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure you can see the crafted set stats on the map (at least on PC....)

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

• Blood_again
    Blood_again
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is all about purpose.

I have a full packed crafter and 15 writ ready alts on my first account.
    I keep crafting for gold, mats, vouchers and joy.
    I'm on my way to make all 15 full 9-trait, not just 2.
    Also it will be a powerful annyversary box factory, if nothing goes wrong.

Though I do a bare minimum crafting on my second account.
    Only a few neccessary traits were learnt for reconstruction/retrait.
    Only a few professions maxed for efficient gear upgrade.
    No crafting bags, no mats collection, no food/alchemy/enchant crafting because I don't need it here.
    If I want to collect mats or craft something, I just go to my first acc.
  • OutLaw_Nynx
    OutLaw_Nynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Interesting responses so far! Thank you all.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting responses so far! Thank you all.

Well.... I think I haven't seen many people who are "regulars" here who don't craft, so these responses might not be meeting your initial query.

But still - I hope you're enjoying the replies.

• ClowdyAllDay
    ClowdyAllDay
    ✭✭✭✭

I have a magsorc with crafted medium armor with mag glyphs i'm leveling up. Using orders wrath, spell parasite, and inatreaxiom head and shoulders - 5-5-2. Thief mundus. Lots of fun with dual wield axes and 2 handed mace.
  • Uvi_AUT
    Uvi_AUT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am with you there. As a completionist I dont consider a character complete when he doesnt have every trait researched, every craft at 50 and enough Skillpoints to skill it all.
    But I am crazy I know. It takes me a year to set up a new character to my liking :)
    Registered since 2014, Customer Service lost my Forum-Account and can't find it.....
  • SkaiFaith
    SkaiFaith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 1 master crafter, 2 characters with everything at 50 and 8 traits searched, and 7 characters that have only enchanting maxed.

I tried doing the daily writs routine as some suggest but I am on console and I really can't stand the time consumption - it takes sooo much time; I prefer doing something else, don't find fun in it.

One thing I don't get of daily writs: I should make money by selling gold mats, but since I have to sell them at lower price than other players if I want to really sell them, when I'll need gold mats for myself I'll be losing money buying them at more expensive prices... Then I guess it would be better to keep my gold mats, but this way I wouldn't make any money after all that effort put in doing writs, so what's the point in all of this trouble XD I can't wrap my head around it.

Probably on PC it's worth the "little" time it takes...
  • SkaiFaith
    SkaiFaith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna add: I am no expert of prices for crafted gear so I'm not sure how much I should ask for my service, but I often see in my guilds people crafting for free, so... Another reason to not invest in crafting if profit is what's important.

The reason I'm glad I invested in crafting is I can make gear for myself if needed - I leveled all my Alts with full Druid's Braid in Training, and that set remains my default go to, before I decide which better ones to transmute.
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uvi_AUT wrote: »
    I am with you there. As a completionist I dont consider a character complete when he doesnt have every trait researched, every craft at 50 and enough Skillpoints to skill it all.
    But I am crazy I know. It takes me a year to set up a new character to my liking :)

Same here :)

Thankfully it's not essential to have much more than 5 or 6 traits completed and it takes less than a week to get to a point where you can craft some of the best sets in the game.

If you are able to obtain various craft boosters from daily rewards, ESO Plus crowns, endeavour tokens, writ vouchers etc it can take less than 2 months to max everything out without having to pay real money for it.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've talked about this a lot in my guilds and what I've usually heard from people who don't craft is they're put off by the perceived time and cost/amount of items needed for crafting, including some who have ESO+, no they don't need to worry about storage space but they'd still rather sell the materials than worry about making sure they have enough of each and figuring out what to do with them. (There's also several of us, including me, who don't subscribe and do craft.)

For other people it's simply not something they're interested in. They play ESO for the combat and/or to explore Tamriel and crafting would just delay or slow that down, making the game less fun overall. It's like asking people who only play PvP why they don't do optional side-quests in PvE zones, or asking questers why they don't do more PvP. They're playing the game to have fun and if something isn't fun for them they're not going to force themselves to do it just because it's there.

Then occasionally I talk to someone who has misunderstood how crafting in this game works and has had a bad experience with it in other games. The most common source of this is when they find out that upgrading an item has a chance to fail and destroy it instead and don't realise you only need a few skill points and a few extra materials to have a 100% chance of success. There's a lot of other games (especially less player-friendly MMOs) where there's no way to circumvent systems like that and crafting is basically designed to be a huge RNG material/gold sink where you'll need dozens of attempts to make a really good item, but when you do it's so over-powered many players feel they have no choice but to waste the time and resources (often including real money) attempting to get it.

Those are the ones I'll try to convince to try it, including recommending sticking to the daily writs (which don't need to be upgraded) until you've got your skills up to the point where you've got at least an 80% success rate, and assuring them over time they'll reach a point where they'll just think of it as costing 2 honing stones to upgrade an item to green (or whatever) and forget it could ever fail.
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Foxtrot39 wrote: »
    One reason being unlike dungeon/overland sets you dont have a set page for crafted gear in your journal, instead you need an addon that shows the set stats when hovering over them on the map or use a 3rd party database such as website to see their effect without having to interact with one of its crafting stations

And as human mind is lazy even having to do 2-3 extra clics is deemed not worth it

I'm pretty sure you can see the crafted set stats on the map (at least on PC....)

You're right that you can see the crafting stations on the map, but you have to know which map to look at to find the icon, and it doesn't tell you what that set does so unless you've already memorised the effects of every crafted set that won't help with deciding which ones to use.

Compare that to the set collections tab (aka sticker book) for dropped sets, which lists all of them together and lets you check the set bonuses so you can decide which ones you want to use without having to use addons or external resources.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Blood_again
    Blood_again
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    Then occasionally I talk to someone who has misunderstood how crafting in this game works and has had a bad experience with it in other games. The most common source of this is when they find out that upgrading an item has a chance to fail and destroy it instead and don't realise you only need a few skill points and a few extra materials to have a 100% chance of success. There's a lot of other games (especially less player-friendly MMOs) where there's no way to circumvent systems like that and crafting is basically designed to be a huge RNG material/gold sink where you'll need dozens of attempts to make a really good item, but when you do it's so over-powered many players feel they have no choice but to waste the time and resources (often including real money) attempting to get it.

Reading this triggered a series of flashbacks. Games with nightmare crafting systems are so common

Some MMOs I played supposed merging 3-5 similar upgrade items to get the higher one.
    Simple math shows that I had to buy/grind tens of thousands 1-tier items in order to get one 10-tier.
    Surprise! You don't have 100% chance of success, when use this upgrade on your gear item. Good luck next time!

Some other MMOs included a real-money component for every craft operation.
    Yes, for item dismantling too. Wanna get some iron of this sword? Pay a dime.

ESO crafting is not ideal. It has some crafting items and resources obtainable behind a paywall. Dragon or clams alchemy, some runes, most of the style stones and motiffs.
    But all the mentioned is tradable, that solves the problem totally.

The only system I like more is Ultima Online style, where you can craft everything up to a huge house. But it is a completely different story.
  • Veryamedliel
    Veryamedliel
    ✭✭✭
    There's a very simple reason why I don't craft even though I have all traits mastered and more motifs than I care to count: I don't need the gear or the looks. Granted, I made quite a lot of my own furniture in my houses at one time or another, but once that's done, it's done. I haven't dropped any new motif or furniture plan I really want to make in ages.

May I craft in the future? Possibly. I may craft something for a friend/guildie. And I may change my looks every so often. Anything else depends on what motifs/furniture we get in any future expansions. If I like it and can get the plans for it, I will. If not, oh well.
    Edited by Veryamedliel on March 1, 2024 2:50PM
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »

Join a guide and use their guild houses where there are master crafting stations, or previously hundreds of stations, one for each set.

Even if you don't craft, you still need those traits unlocked in order to reconstruct gears. Looted gears are never optimal and I only use them when I want to try some build without committing.
    Edited by moo_2021 on March 1, 2024 1:58PM
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    when the reconstruction facility was added, that's when it became much more important to level crafting.

the inability to reconstruct desirable, effective and optimum gear puts players builds at a significant disadvantage.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only system I like more is Ultima Online style, where you can craft everything up to a huge house. But it is a completely different story.

Ultima Online was my first MMO (unless MUDs count), and one of the first RPGs I played with a real crafting system. I remember it being good but also potentially very time consuming. That was pretty much all my sister did - she was a blacksmith and tailor and spent all her time either gathering materials or crafting and trading with other players in towns. Although she also had a wedding planning business with a friend - they'd recommend locations and provide decorations, clothing etc., and her friend would officiate. (She briefly had another side business scamming newbies until my brother and I put a stop to it because we shared an account and didn't want to get banned.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I craft a lot, though I don't do writs each day.

While ESO's crafting isn't horrible, I'd prefer something like SWG or New World as far as crafting is concerned. They have way more complex systems.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • ghastley
      ghastley
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      One thing that probably puts people off is the expectation that it takes years to research all the traits and styles, and you can’t do anything useful until you get there. And because that is half true - the research does take a long time - the whole thing gets believed.

In practice, you can make items without traits right from the start. With your own racial style as a given, you can do daily crafting writs as soon as you get certified at level 6, which is where you would normally be when you reach the first city you can craft in. Making end-game sets is not relevant until your first character reaches CP160, and by then you know enough to make the Julianos or Orders Wrath sets, as their trait requirements aren’t high. You’ll be using dropped sets as well, so your crafting skills will need to be enough to improve what you pick up, but that seems to happen on the right schedule, too.

My Master crafter doesn’t know all the styles, so can’t always do every Master Writ that drops, but that is mostly because new styles keep appearing, so it’s an endless game of catch-up for everyone.
    • merpins
      merpins
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      I have it leveled and researched on my crafting toon. But I don't craft often anymore outside of dailies. I'm at end game and have been for a long time, so crafted sets aren't really important for me right now (since none are particularly BiS), and getting the stuff for attuneable workstations, or more likely transmute stations, is tedious and I make more gold passively by doing normal daily writs on all my toons. If you could unlock cool cosmetics, maybe it'd be more appealing. But it doesn't so it isn't.
      Edited by merpins on March 1, 2024 4:09PM
    • Warhawke_80
      Warhawke_80
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Crafting is incredibly boring and doesn't really create anything useful.
      ““Elric knew. The sword told him, without words of any sort. Stormbringer needed to fight, for that was its reason for existence...”― Michael Moorcock, Elric of Melniboné
    • OutLaw_Nynx
      OutLaw_Nynx
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Crafting is incredibly boring and doesn't really create anything useful.

Food? Enchantments?
    • whitecrow
      whitecrow
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Since I maxed out my skills I see no real reason to craft. But I will make something for someone if s/he needs it.