The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Daily login rewards march discussion

• Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    As someone who has no interest in going anywhere near PvP zones, and who already has Orsinium, it being included once in the Endeavour rewards is no different to me than the countless times I get Telvar Stones which are utterly useless to me.

I am always happy to get Telvar Stones for free because I can use them to buy Hakeijo runes for crafting furniture, otherwise I would not get them since I dont do PvP either.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I already have everything they are giving away for free already too. Would be cool if ZOS gave those who already owned all(or some) of that stuff they are giving away for free, some seals of endeavours for their continued support.

Like if you own Orsinium already you get 1k seals of endeavour.
    If you own the mount already, you get 1k seals of endeavour.
    If you own both the costumes already, you get 500 seals of endeavour. (not sure if there is more free stuff)

This would go a long way to players who are spending money on the game.

Kinda weird to treat those that have spent money on the game like this, because it makes it less attractive to spend more. Keep in mind, I left for years after I felt cheated by how the game went from Pay-to-Play to Buy-to-Play!
    Edited by Sarannah on February 29, 2024 11:55AM
  • FluffyBird
    FluffyBird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if I'm entitled to an opinion here, but it looks strange: the more you spend on a game, the bigger your chance to be left without a gift.

It's not about someone getting for free a thing I paid for, it's about me being left without a big shiny anniversary gift.
    Edited by FluffyBird on February 29, 2024 7:24AM
  • derkaiserliche
    derkaiserliche
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to make my point here clear:

i am happy for everyone who gets the dlc for free, I dont mind it

I am unhappy with the choice of giving the mount away for free, that was in the crown store 5 months ago for 3000 crowns on a limited time offer and never before seen. Thats unfair to everyone who actually bought it, since it feels like we are the fools now.

I would never complain about many year old stuff returning for free or new mounts etc. But this doesnt feel right. Normally we should be able to get a refund of our crowns now.

And when you answer, please try to see the point of view from the mount buyers. Its always easy to act generous when you arent the one getting fooled over.
    Edited by derkaiserliche on February 29, 2024 7:31AM
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    ...so, you're honestly complaining about stuff people will get for free, because others spent money on it? How in the world is this a bad thing? Just because you bought it earlier?

And semi-demanding something else?
    I'm impressed.

You dont put something up for sell if you give it away for free some months later. If it would have been a long time ago okay, but this is just weird.

Iron orc welwa mount: September 14, 2023 - September 21, 2023 for 3k crowns and now its free

Okay, that's unfortunate for the people that bought it, but really really cool for everyone else.

You lose nothing, they gain something. It's really a non-issue imho.

It's easy to be magnanimous when it isn't your money.
    I lost 3000 Crowns on something I thought was a limited time offer that turned out to be 6 months early access on a free item. That's a bit more than unfortunate for me.

historical evidence has proven that this isn't exactly how things work in ESO. Limited offers have always been on a cycle. Older direct crown purchasable mounts always find their way into crown crates and thus purchasable with endeavors. which are essentially free, or if your are lucky for significant crown discount.

Honestly, i prefer they release stuff into the wild using this model than the other one they have used previously. Such as the Psijic home that they gave away free and then a few years later charged 14k crowns to purchase.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Giving away years old content is completely fine, but something that was introduced not so long ago for a hefty price is indeed a strange decision and I'm not sure it's even fully intended meaning that as an oversight when looking for a "themed" offer.
  • Carylas
    Carylas
    ✭✭✭
    Very generous of ZOS to give these rewards, I am happy.

Though I think that the feelings stemming from ZOS giving away Orsinium and a mount for free as a reward is not because "I paid for it and now people are getting it for free!" but more like "People who didn't own these items (a DLC and a mount) get it as a reward while the players who already own it get nothing of the same scale.".

I don't own the mount, I'm happy to have it. I bought Orsinium years ago and I'm happy that people who didn't have a chance to try that DLC now can experience it. But if ZOS added an alternative to those rewards for people who already bought them, people won't be unhappy.

I also wonder, will people who own these items be able to claim them?
    Edited by Carylas on February 29, 2024 8:05AM
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    ...so, you're honestly complaining about stuff people will get for free, because others spent money on it? How in the world is this a bad thing? Just because you bought it earlier?

I'm impressed.

You dont put something up for sell if you give it away for free some months later. If it would have been a long time ago okay, but this is just weird.

Iron orc welwa mount: September 14, 2023 - September 21, 2023 for 3k crowns and now its free

Okay, that's unfortunate for the people that bought it, but really really cool for everyone else.

You lose nothing, they gain something. It's really a non-issue imho.

It's easy to be magnanimous when it isn't your money.
    I lost 3000 Crowns on something I thought was a limited time offer that turned out to be 6 months early access on a free item. That's a bit more than unfortunate for me.

I've had paid stuff come out free later. It's happening right now to me. I don't care that it's free now. I got the item I paid for and have no expectations about future value. Limited time has almost never meant permanently exclusive in ESO, so I don't have that expectation either.

As long I get exactly what I paid for, I am good.

Lol I bought Imperial City DLC just before it became a freebie, something like only a few weeks. Oh well.

I have Orsinium already, had it for years, and am happy everyone will get to enjoy such a great DLC. I will enjoy the new mounts as well.

But at that point, Imperial City was already out for 4 years. That's a bit more than 6 months.
    Even at only 1 year, I would have bitten my tongue. Whatever. But 6 months? It just came out!

I'm honestly not sure there's a precedent for giving away a previous Crown Store item (not content) at all, let alone an expensive one. The previous daily rewards were always unique to that month far as I can tell. Maybe someone has an example? I couldn't find anything checking daily rewards of the past years.

Of course "limited time" items often return to the store, but even then usually at a discount, not free. So yeah I guess they have become more generous in a way.

Yes. There is precedent.

For example, the Clouded Senche-Leopard mount was placed on sale and was later made a stream giveaway.

The Gloomspore Crates given away this month and free crates in general throughout the time of the daily rewards.

Then there was the 10 million stories dungeon event where your dungeon loot boxes could have all sorts of crown store items. The jackpot was 20 homes including the Grand Topal Hideaway.

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/26255#10MillionStories-Dungeon-Event

I'm fairly certain there's more but that's the ones I can remember off the top of my head and confirm on Google.

Thanks for your reply! I looked into the examples you gave.

I dismissed the Crown Crates we regularly get from daily rewards and such because you can't really get too much of those - even if you pull duplicates out of them, you can still turn them into gems and aren't left with nothing.

The Clouded Senche-Leopard also had 4 years (just like Imperial City) between being sold in the store and being given away as a stream reward, which seems appropriate.

The 10 Million Stories Dungeon Event however seems a legit precedent. It was a really long time ago so I'd forgotten about it (also probably because I didn't get anything lol). The Grand Topal Hideaway had only been available about 8 months before, whereas the Great Elk was sold in the store at the same time. However, both were really rare drops instead of a simple login reward, which should be considered.

I can imagine that there are other instances, especially for stream giveaways (there have been a ton of pets over the years), but I can't find or recall anything that stands out as much as the current situation.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Daimonion82
    Daimonion82
    ✭✭✭
    Probably best login rewards ever. I already have Orsinium, but I'm very happy for all people who will get it for free! Why complaining, when we get good stuff? DLC, mount, seals... All great. It's nice to see ZOS is celebrating anniversary with generosity.
    Thank you!!!
    PS - When I've started playing, there was Murkmire as login reward and I've missed it, because started too late that month to claim it. I've bought it later and never complained. Others got it for free - good for them, my bad luck. Happens.
  • derkaiserliche
    derkaiserliche
    ✭✭✭✭
    Probably best login rewards ever. I already have Orsinium, but I'm very happy for all people who will get it for free! Why complaining, when we get good stuff? DLC, mount, seals... All great. It's nice to see ZOS is celebrating anniversary with generosity.
    Thank you!!!
    PS - When I've started playing, there was Murkmire as login reward and I've missed it, because started too late that month to claim it. I've bought it later and never complained. Others got it for free - good for them, my bad luck. Happens.

thats 2 totally different situation

you missed something and had to buy it (your fault)

i bought something for 3k crowns 5 months ago (first introduces and limited) and now its free for all out of the blue

Its just not well thought through. And of course the typical random comments like "the daily login rewards arent just for you" or "why arent you happy that others get something" are just not targeting the right problem here. The problem is to give something expensive away for free , that many people bought for 3k crowns 5 months ago on a limited and first introduced crown store offer. So i expect to be refunded 3k crowns.
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    I already have everything they are giving away for free already too. Would be cool if ZOS gave those who already owned all(or some) of that stuff they are giving away for free, some seals of endeavours for their continued support.

Like if you own Orsinium already you get 1k seals of endeavour.
    If you own the mount already, you get 1k seals of endeavour.
    If you own both the costumes already, you get 500 seals of endeavour. (not sure if there is more free stuff)

This would go a long way to players who are spending money on the game.

Kinda weird to treat those that have spent money on the game like this, because it make it less attractive to spend more. Keep in mind, I left for years after I felt cheated by how the game went from Pay-to-Play to Buy-to-Play!

This would be amazing!

Said elsewhere: it would be nice to have an option. Instead of getting nothing if we already have Orsinium, couldn't everyone get a choice of other old DLC or endeavors or even some crowns?

FluffyBird wrote: »
    Not sure if I'm entitled to an opinion here, but it looks strange: the more you spend on a game, the bigger your chance to be left without a gift.

It's not about someone getting for free a thing I paid for, it's about me being left without a big shiny anniversary gift.

I feel kind of similar. Not upset or anything just... not whelmed?

Comments saying "complaining about free stuff", I don't think that's right. For people who subbed and bought content for years, there's no stuff if we already bought it, and definitely not "free".

For some of us who have Imgakin monkeys and little nostalgia, it feels less exciting than past years (at least event/reward-wise). Because those had new models, while this year's appear to be mostly returns, reskins, and resizes (Molag Small) of old stuff.

But, they called it a prelude. Maybe April is when the big fireworks start?
    Edited by MoonPile on February 29, 2024 11:02AM
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you!!!

i bought something for 3k crowns 5 months ago (first introduces and limited) and now its free for all out of the blue

Its just not well thought through. And of course the typical random comments like "the daily login rewards arent just for you" or "why arent you happy that others get something" are just not targeting the right problem here. The problem is to give something expensive away for free , that many people bought for 3k crowns 5 months ago on a limited and first introduced crown store offer. So i expect to be refunded 3k crowns.

… so you got to enjoy the mount for five months ahead of everyone else. Look at it that way.

You had a choice to spend 3k crowns on this mount five months ago, and that’s a choice you made. You’d be laughed out of any retail store if you bought an expensive item and went in expecting a refund after that very same item went on sale for significantly less than what you paid five months later.

Perhaps let this be a lesson for future crown store items. Being patient has its rewards, sometimes. :)
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is all reminding me a lot of the Alfiq reactions 5-ish years ago and how that went...

Nobody got any goodwill if they bought the old merchants. It seems the company's position is that people will complain for a while but then come back and buy more :/
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MoonPile wrote: »
    This is all reminding me a lot of the Alfiq reactions 5-ish years ago and how that went...

Nobody got any goodwill if they bought the old merchants. It seems the company's position is that people will complain for a while but then come back and buy more :/

I personally treat the Crown Store like any retail store. Re: the Alfiq merchant outrage, if I bought a particular 4K TV, and then the manufacturer later came out with similar 4K TV with different features I preferred, I couldn’t just go to the store and say “well, I bought the older model a while ago, but now I want this new one. Can you give me this new one at a discount, because I bought the older model?” It’s just not how it works.

I get it. Crown Store items are expensive. That’s why I don’t buy them anymore. I learned my lesson when I lost all of those now-useless Crown Store items on my old PS4 account.

I think there would be a lot less frustration when it came to the Crown Store if people just exercised a little more restraint and didn’t allow themselves to succumb to FOMO marketing tactics, like limited time offers and whatnot. Those are the oldest retail tricks in the book.
  • LouisaB75
    LouisaB75
    ✭✭✭
    A DLC in rewards... WOW! Already have it too but am super happy for all those who don't.

ETA plus on day 2 of the month so players who can't log in every day won't miss out. Awesome!
    Edited by LouisaB75 on February 29, 2024 11:46AM
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LouisaB75 wrote: »
    A DLC in rewards... WOW! Already have it too but am super happy for all those who don't.

Thanks! It sucked big time starting over again on PC a few months ago (I had basically nothing aside from my beta monkey and my Imperial Horse, as my PC account pre-dated most of the major DLCs and Crown Crates). I refused to buy anything, as I’d already bought so much on my PS4 account that I couldn’t transfer over. It’s so awesome to get Orsinium as a gift. I love the area in general, and I like using VMA as a training ground for my alts. I’ve only subbed twice since starting over, so haven’t had much time to enjoy Orsinium properly. Now I’ll be able to enjoy it forever!

Cheers, ZOS!
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is really only one reason I don't like this:

How many Maelstrom Arenas more there will be in daily & weekly endeavours ? :#
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on February 29, 2024 12:07PM
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »

I personally treat the Crown Store like any retail store. Re: the Alfiq merchant outrage, if I bought a particular 4K TV, and then the manufacturer later came out with similar 4K TV with different features I preferred, I couldn’t just go to the store and say “well, I bought the older model a while ago, but now I want this new one. Can you give me this new one at a discount, because I bought the older model?” It’s just not how it works.

I get it. Crown Store items are expensive. That’s why I don’t buy them anymore. I learned my lesson when I lost all of those now-useless Crown Store items on my old PS4 account.

I think there would be a lot less frustration when it came to the Crown Store if people just exercised a little more restraint and didn’t allow themselves to succumb to FOMO marketing tactics, like limited time offers and whatnot. Those are the oldest retail tricks in the book.

This isn't so far fetched. Department stores used to, in some cases, give discounts retroactively. Some items even have longer return times up to 6 months. It's possible to return something within the limit and rebuy discounted. Or at least store credit. Or use a warranty. Customer goodwill exists in many forms. For digital items, it's not like they become "used".

The appearance is just that they don't need to care. Like if the bottom line is the same, player morale isn't worth much.

I don't think it's fair to lay the blame entirely on succumbing when things are rotated so infrequently. If you can't know if it will be gone 2-3 years, and will you even be playing then? It may be an old trick, but geez they go hard with it. Too hard.

Anyway. All chatter, I don't even have this mount. I also never bought the Alfiqs and won't ever buy again unless I'm totally sure and like the design. I left the game entirely for a while, so I'm not in the group who'd complain but come back and spend. But a lot has improved since then and even more since early years, and I hope it continues to.
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you!!!

Yes, zos is giving away a mount they own to celebrate the anniversary of their game. Nothing wrong with that.

It is of no importance, that said mount was available for purchase some time ago (and will be purchaseable again in the future most probably).

Whoever bought the welwa back then got exactly what they paid for.

Exclusivity wasn't part of the deal, just the mount itself.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • Daimonion82
    Daimonion82
    ✭✭✭

So i expect to be refunded 3k crowns.

Yeah, tragic situation. And completely different.
    Hm. OK. I expect to be refunded for everything I've ever bought and was available as a giveaway later. Steam, Epic, Ubi - my lawsuit is on the way!
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    hey nobody has the inkfur Ursauk as that's a new mount.

not a daily reward, but will be claimable if you have the Kingmaker achievement from Orsinium
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • PapaTankers
    PapaTankers
    ✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »

I'm impressed.

Idc about Orsinium. It was released 9 years ago and was already on sale a couple of times.

Giving a 3000 Crown mount away for free just half a year after it first appeared in the store (for a limited time) feels kinda ***, yes.
    It doesn't exactly help their revenue stream, because it might discourage players from buying crown store items, thinking that if they wait a year or two they might get it either free or heavily discounted.

Thank god if thats the case. Would be about time they abolished the crown store.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »

This isn't so far fetched. Department stores used to, in some cases, give discounts retroactively. Some items even have longer return times up to 6 months. It's possible to return something within the limit and rebuy discounted. Or at least store credit. Or use a warranty. Customer goodwill exists in many forms. For digital items, it's not like they become "used".

The appearance is just that they don't need to care. Like if the bottom line is the same, player morale isn't worth much.

I don't think it's fair to lay the blame entirely on succumbing when things are rotated so infrequently. If you can't know if it will be gone 2-3 years, and will you even be playing then? It may be an old trick, but geez they go hard with it. Too hard.

Anyway. All chatter, I don't even have this mount. I also never bought the Alfiqs and won't ever buy again unless I'm totally sure and like the design. I left the game entirely for a while, so I'm not in the group who'd complain but come back and spend. But a lot has improved since then and even more since early years, and I hope it continues to.

I’m sure we can find all sorts of isolated instances of retailers caving in to consumers, but for the most part, you cannot demand a refund on an item five months outside of purchase.

And yes, it is entirely fair to lay blame on consumers for giving in to FOMO marketing tactics. Companies like ZOS wouldnt use FOMO to drive sales if it didn’t work. Ideally, Crown Store items should be available at all times. Because enough people cave and buy them during limited purchase windows, however, we all lose out on being able to buy them whenever we’re willing and able to.
  • Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So can I get a refund for the Iron Orc Welwa Mount now that it's going to be free daily login reward
    Kinda feels like I have been ripped off :s

Stuff like this might make people less inclined to buy stuff from the crown store if it's just going to be free in 4 to 5 months time.
    Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
    Nerevar forget!
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I got Orsinium with my Imperial edition in 2016, but maybe this is a good sign they might give us another DLC that I don't own later on.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t want that mount even if it is free. Can I get crowns instead?
    Edited by ghastley on February 29, 2024 7:36PM
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    I don’t want that mount even if it is free. Can I get crowns instead?

Yeah. Not a fan of welwa mounts/pets. Would be delighted to give them away.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

Because there is a thread already open on this topic, we're going to close this one down so that all feedback can be consolidated in one place.

You may continue the discussion here. Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.