Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Was EA boss difficulty increased with patch 9.2.7?

• AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday I encountered one boss that I've defeated solo before but couldn't yesterday with Azandar out, Baron Zaudrus. So I released Azandar and my friend joined me and we got him down very quickly.

Something is definitely different for me with some of these bosses with a Companion out.

I went into the EA tonight and didn't notice any increase in difficulty. In fact, I got further than I have before. Having said that, I wasn't using my main, which I usually use.
    Options
  • Paralyse
    Paralyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run EA nightly with a partner.

The only difference I've noticed is that Symphony of Blades seems quite a bit more difficult than it was previously.

Dragons seem slightly easier. The reduction in scale of the NPC model and the change so that you no longer die if knocked off the edge have been very helpful.

I have run EA solo and with a partner, and then with a companion, and the difficulty with a companion is quite a bit higher than either solo / duo. I suspect this is because companion AI is severely lacking in nearly every aspect. Companions can't reliably interrupt, don't know to priority-target Fabled adds, cannot execute many boss mechanics, and cannot rescue a downed player or resurrect you if you die; and they only receive benefits from your Verses and Visions, even if your choices are completely useless for your Companion.

I have found solo to be substantially easier than using any of the companions, so now I just stick to solo / partner runs.
    Paralyse, Sanguine's Tester - Enjoying ESO since beta. Trial clears: vSS HM, Crag HM's, vRG Oax HM, vMoL DD, vKA HM, vCR+1, vAS IR, vDSR, vSE
    Options
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paralyse wrote: »
    Dragons seem slightly easier. The reduction in scale of the NPC model and the change so that you no longer die if knocked off the edge have been very helpful.

Huh? Yesterday I died twice after being knocked off the edge of the platform by a dragon. Was that not supposed to happen anymore? If so, it's not working all the time.

Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paralyse wrote: »
    I run EA nightly with a partner.

The only difference I've noticed is that Symphony of Blades seems quite a bit more difficult than it was previously.

I have run EA solo and with a partner, and then with a companion, and the difficulty with a companion is quite a bit higher than either solo / duo. I suspect this is because companion AI is severely lacking in nearly every aspect. Companions can't reliably interrupt, don't know to priority-target Fabled adds, cannot execute many boss mechanics, and cannot rescue a downed player or resurrect you if you die; and they only receive benefits from your Verses and Visions, even if your choices are completely useless for your Companion.

I have found solo to be substantially easier than using any of the companions, so now I just stick to solo / partner runs.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has noticed a difference with the Symphony of Blades, and that the difficulty with a Companion is higher than solo or duo.

I haven't tried without the Companion since the patch but I will give that a try today.
    PCNA
    Options
  • haelgaan
    haelgaan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    to the point where I was standing between the two targets, with my back to Doylemish, and still, my heavy attack would go backwards to target the boss instead of the orb.

If that was a Lightning HA, I have seen an animation glitch in EA. Depending on the circumstances, I have a specific mob targeted (in the trash waves) and am Lightning heavy attacking them - they show damage numbers and take the damage, but the animation of the attack has the stream of lightning going to a different destination (which is sometimes behind me).

edit - typo
    Edited by haelgaan on December 9, 2023 4:00PM
    Options
  • Paralyse
    Paralyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was knocked off twice last night (most recently to the dragon Laatvulon) and was expecting to see thread severed message as I fell to my death.

Instead it ported me back up to the platform, and did not sever a thread.

I haven't been knocked off since and do not know if this is intended behavior or otherwise.
    Paralyse, Sanguine's Tester - Enjoying ESO since beta. Trial clears: vSS HM, Crag HM's, vRG Oax HM, vMoL DD, vKA HM, vCR+1, vAS IR, vDSR, vSE
    Options
  • Vonnegut2506
    Vonnegut2506
    ✭✭✭
    I got the Yolo dragon today and being knocked off definitely killed me and took away a thread. The fun part was it also made him immune to damage for the rest of my attempts, so that was a real showstopper as my companion wouldn't attack him, no single target attacks would fire off at him, and even aoe attacks wouldn't damage him.
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got the Dragon for the first time since the patch and I lost all 4 of my threads to it. The reason being my entire screen was filled with fire that lasted several seconds and no amount of healing or shielding or blocking did anything to help.

This is the same Dragon I beat several times before this patch.

Something definitely changed.
    PCNA
    Options
  • EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got the Dragon for the first time since the patch and I lost all 4 of my threads to it. The reason being my entire screen was filled with fire that lasted several seconds and no amount of healing or shielding or blocking did anything to help.

Pulled that dragon this morning, business as usual, when they fly up, run out of the AoE and wait for it to end while sniping Flame Elementals, if they do the half the platform breath, run to the side it's not on.
    Antiquities Addict
    Options
  • Grega
    Grega
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope, everything you described was in prior to the patch, since EA launch. In fact, this fight’s mechanics are largely copied from fire dragon boss in sunspire.

That being said - you may be dying as oppose to not prior to the patch because game is performing more poorly across the entire zones and servers since this PVPTEST patch was posted. You may simply want to wait until they undo and turn it off (likely with start of new life festival).
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today I was on Arc 1 Stage 4 and got the Dragon again. He did not fill the screen with fire this time but was using frosty stuff that I was able to avoid. But this time he knocked me off 4 times and I lost all 4 threads and had to start over for the daily. I tried to block and it did nothing.

I used to kill him before this patch. Something has definitely changed.
    PCNA
    Options
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran EA today with my wife only for the daily endeavors. The two bosses we fought did not seem more difficult, but oddly the trash did. I have been spending much of this evening trying to figure out what happened to the build I run. I dunna.

I did not go into EA thinking there were any changes (I was unaware of any change until this thread), so its not a matter of me looking for issues, rather it was just an observation without provocation.
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
    Options
  • Toxic_Hemlock
    Toxic_Hemlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today I was on Arc 1 Stage 4 and got the Dragon again. He did not fill the screen with fire this time but was using frosty stuff that I was able to avoid. But this time he knocked me off 4 times and I lost all 4 threads and had to start over for the daily. I tried to block and it did nothing.

I found when facing a dragon that standing right on the edge of red ring under them that the knockback doesn't knock you right off the platform. I was able to defeat two of them this way but I died to another when avoiding spawns. I have more or less given up on it now as wasting an hour to get to the forth boss only do die 40% of the time is a huge waste of time for me.

I'm hoping they add a "kiddie ride" version of EA myself. Even if offered 1/10th the rewards I could do my daily, daily and not rip my hair out over a random dice roll.

Edit: need new keyboard.
    Edited by Toxic_Hemlock on December 11, 2023 12:58AM
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, you might be thoroughtly annoyed about me asking....

But were you actually in the armor and with the skill/ability setups the same as before? I just mean that waiting through patches and doing other things.... sometimes I don't get stuff handled.... and then I think "WHAT IN THE HELL"....

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
    Options
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah the same thing happened to me. I held block and was still knocked off.
    PS5/NA
    Options
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I found when facing a dragon that standing right on the edge of red ring under them that the knockback doesn't knock you right off the platform. I was able to defeat two of them this way but I died to another when avoiding spawns. I have more or less given up on it now as wasting an hour to get to the forth boss only do die 40% of the time is a huge waste of time for me.

I'm hoping they add a "kiddie ride" version of EA myself. Even if offered 1/10th the rewards I could do my daily, daily and not rip my hair out over a random dice roll.

Edit: need new keyboard.

Yeah I was there and last night it still knocked me off. ANd I was blocking.
    PS5/NA
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »

But were you actually in the armor and with the skill/ability setups the same as before? I just mean that waiting through patches and doing other things.... sometimes I don't get stuff handled.... and then I think "WHAT IN THE HELL"....

I was on my character that I have set up specifically for running the Endless Archive. I have had problems with a few of these bosses that I never did before the patch.
    PCNA
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »

I was on my character that I have set up specifically for running the Endless Archive. I have had problems with a few of these bosses that I never did before the patch.

Well, I really didn't think you fell into that "trap", but it was the only think I could think of....

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
    Options
  • Ph1p
    Ph1p
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you have enough resources to block? Were you block-casting a channeled ability? Otherwise do submit a bug report, since blocking has had a history of being bugged. Personally, blocking has always worked on every dragon boss fight in EA, both for me and my duo partner.
    Options
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ph1p wrote: »

Did you have enough resources to block? Were you block-casting a channeled ability? Otherwise do submit a bug report, since blocking has had a history of being bugged. Personally, blocking has always worked on every dragon boss fight in EA, both for me and my duo partner.

Yeah, sorry I don't even know what a block-casting channeled ability is... :D I was hold the standard l2r2 block just like I always do for fus ro da. It kind of surprised me because that does usually work.

PS5/NA
    Options
  • runa_gate
    runa_gate
    ✭✭✭✭
    Huh, now that you mention it occasionally block didn't work and a couple bosses completely ignored the taunt from the Eye vision
    Options
  • Ph1p
    Ph1p
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, sorry I don't even know what a block-casting channeled ability is... :D I was hold the standard l2r2 block just like I always do for fus ro da. It kind of surprised me because that does usually work.

While holding block, you can still cast skills from your ability bar. Any skill that is "Instant" (per its tooltip) doesn't interrupt your block, which is called block-casting allows you to continue to deal damage, for example. However, some skills take time to be cast, like Templar jabs or beam, Arcanist flail and beam, bow snipe, and so on. If you cast those while blocking, it disrupts the block and you can get knocked down/over.
    Options
  • Ph1p
    Ph1p
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    runa_gate wrote: »
    Huh, now that you mention it occasionally block didn't work and a couple bosses completely ignored the taunt from the Eye vision

With dragons, I've sometimes had the issue that the Eye got ignored because I cast it under the enemy where the dragon couldn't reach and thus ignored it. The Eye can also die quite quickly.
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

there are 3 different dragon bosses

yolnakriin (fire dragon)
    laatvulon (ice dragon)
    mulamnir (shock dragon)

all 3 of them can fus ro da (which needs to be blocked because of how small the arena is), companions can tank all 3 which helps alleviate the need to worry about the fus ro da to an extent (though with yolnakriin you have to call them back when he flies because they can die to the fire in the middle)

all 3 of them can also wing and tail slap if you are on their sides or back, which also do knockback if not blocked

ive run into all 3 dragons multiple times since the patch and havent had a problem with blocking them (i have noticed some other combat issues though that seem unrelated to the archive though)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finally realized it was 3 dragons when I got frost or lightning instead of fire, but regardless of which I was always able to block being knocked off the platform and defeated them almost every time .

I also think they should not put trial bosses or other very difficult fights in the very first Arc. Having to start over in Arc 1 is pretty frustrating when I normally make it to Arc 3, solo or with Azandar.
    PCNA
    Options
  • pklemming
    pklemming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whilst it may have the name of a trial boss, it most certainly is not that boss. It has the name, but the encounter has been scaled down in outgoing damage, and mechanics. If even the normal Yolnakrin was there, you would most certainly know.

Did a duo run Saturday to Arc 7. Did not notice any difference and had 2 of the 3 dragons in that run. I am tank, so I am pretty much subject to all their mechanics.
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I realize that these bosses aren't exactly the same as the trial version but some of them are still pretty difficult. In a setting that is known to become more difficult as we progress it is too much too soon to have some of the most difficult bosses appear in the first few Arcs.
    Edited by SilverBride on December 12, 2023 2:06AM
    PCNA
    Options
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe, as one poster suggested, it’s a general performance issue as so your block isn’t registering? Unless you mean with the wing — I don’t think you can block that — and sometimes the dragon lands in a bad way with a companion tanking, so that could be one possible source of difference.
    Options
  • Toxic_Hemlock
    Toxic_Hemlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finally realized it was 3 dragons when I got frost or lightning instead of fire, but regardless of which I was always able to block being knocked off the platform and defeated them almost every time .

I also think they should not put trial bosses or other very difficult fights in the very first Arc. Having to start over in Arc 1 is pretty frustrating when I normally make it to Arc 3, solo or with Azandar.

I've been saying this exact thing since EA (soon to be IA), came out. I don't bother doing it now for this very reason. Trudging through rounds of trash mobs, getting some easier bosses only to be met later with mechanics that one shot you is inane. The companion changes are nice, but I would much rather just play something else than have to watch out for a queue I will most likely miss anyways only to die again.

Let those that want it have the challenge of facing those mechanics have at it, for me I 'll just go play some No Man's Sky and chill.

Edit: still need new keyboard.
    Edited by Toxic_Hemlock on December 12, 2023 10:03PM
    Options