The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Need solution to PING (ASIA/PAC)

milkiie
milkiie
✭✭
I need a proper solution to the awful ping I get playing this game. I live far from both servers and average 270 ping on NA. I only want to play this game for the PvP and theory crafting, but due to my location the ping makes gameplay delayed and buggy.

The game is not playable in this state.

I want to be able to get my ping as low as I possibly could. I have tried multiple VPNs and they have barely lowered anything, and they're not stable either. I am at a loss and feel like no one in ESO development cares about this side of the world, as long as the Americans and Europeans are happy :). All I want to do is have fun playing a game.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on May 26, 2023 5:57PM
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I started playing ESO 3 years ago, and my average ping that entire time has been 400ms. I wish my ping was as low as 270.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I had ping that low.... Satellite isn't "real broadband" but it's all I have available.

Sucks to be me, I know.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • milkiie
    milkiie
    ✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    I wish I had ping that low.... Satellite isn't "real broadband" but it's all I have available.

Sucks to be me, I know.
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    I started playing ESO 3 years ago, and my average ping that entire time has been 400ms. I wish my ping was as low as 270.

This sucks, I just wish that ESO would do more to try and facilitate us
  • seventy_kg
    seventy_kg
    ✭✭✭
    that would be nice, hopefully now that eu server got the hardware upgrade they can revisit this
    Edited by seventy_kg on April 11, 2023 3:15AM
  • Wow
    Wow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As humanity haven't yet to find a way to move things faster than the speed of light, PING issue will always be there for people that are both equally far away from NA and EU location.

The only solution is to install Asia Pacific mega server. This game is officially launched in Japan and published by DMM where they handle the sales, supports, and localizations. And yet they just shove them onto NA mega server.
    I'm a Godot Engine and GameMaker enthusiast from the most populated island on earth, Java, Indonesia. Coffee is my staple fuel, and durian is my favourite fruit. I'm currently building a Godot Community site.
  • edward_frigidhands
    edward_frigidhands
    ✭✭✭✭
    What is your ping when playing on EU server?

Have you tried Exit Lag?
  • seventy_kg
    seventy_kg
    ✭✭✭

Have you tried Exit Lag?

for me eu is unplayable, 350+ on average. na is usually around 280 but goes up to 350 in certain zones, and I've tried exitlag, killping, etc, they don't really make much of a difference
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I imagine there probably just isn't a solution to this, but for what it's worth I've had really awful ping (by my standards) from Ireland to PC EU in the evenings lately. 200 to 300ms to ZOS and other German websites. I then tried Mullvad VPN, which let's you drill down to individual servers of theirs. Many servers resulted in the same ping, but there are some, in Frankfurt, where I can get 70ms ping to zos.de (and decent ping in game), even during the bad times of day. Other Mullvad Frankfurt servers, most of them in fact, were just as bad as using no VPN. Evidently there is something going on with Internet routing between Ireland and Germany. Looks like going through some data centers is better than through others.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Years ago there was a VPN called Speedify. Their claim to fame was that they could channel bond several Internet connections together, for example your landline and your phone connection. It would use this to offer better consistency and lower latency. It would effectively use the connection with the lowest latency at any given moment. I don't know whether they're still in business. Last I heard they rebranded or something.

Mullvad, on the other hand, either uses Open VPN or a protocol called Wireguard. Not sure whether the latter makes any difference. It's touted advantage is faster connection times, I think. I don't know whether it's also lower latency in general.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • JonnytheKing
    JonnytheKing
    ✭✭✭✭
    milkiie wrote: »
    I need a proper solution to the awful ping I get playing this game. I live far from both servers and average 270 ping on NA. I only want to play this game for the PvP and theory crafting, but due to my location the ping makes gameplay delayed and buggy.

I want to be able to get my ping as low as I possibly could. I have tried multiple VPNs and they have barely lowered anything, and they're not stable either. I am at a loss and feel like no one in ESO development cares about this side of the world, as long as the Americans and Europeans are happy :). All I want to do is have fun playing a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyvZLJ7PL7E&t=13s
    dunno if this will help
    TWITCH jtk__gaming
    GM of Elder-Skills DC PVP Guild NA
    Main Toons
    MagSorc
    MagTemp
  • Durian
    Durian
    ✭✭✭
    At this point in time it is highly unlikely ZOS would invest in another regional mega server.
  • milkiie
    milkiie
    ✭✭
    milkiie wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyvZLJ7PL7E&t=13s
    dunno if this will help
    fred4 wrote: »
    Years ago there was a VPN called Speedify. Their claim to fame was that they could channel bond several Internet connections together, for example your landline and your phone connection. It would use this to offer better consistency and lower latency. It would effectively use the connection with the lowest latency at any given moment. I don't know whether they're still in business. Last I heard they rebranded or something.

Mullvad, on the other hand, either uses Open VPN or a protocol called Wireguard. Not sure whether the latter makes any difference. It's touted advantage is faster connection times, I think. I don't know whether it's also lower latency in general.

Thanks but I have already tried these solutions and nothing helps. VPNs are great and all but they really dont help with the physical distance from the server unfortunately :(
    Looks like we would really just be hoping for a closer server in the future if they ever changed their minds
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    270 would be nice. PS4 NA for me is 400+ all of the time, EU is only slightly better, in the 300's.

Events like the birthday celebration, along with freeplay, just make the problem a lot worse.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • gronoxvx
    gronoxvx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing you can really do tbh. If you value ping seek another game. Not being a [snip] about it, just how it is unfortunately.

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 14, 2023 12:37PM
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    seventy_kg wrote: »

Have you tried Exit Lag?

for me eu is unplayable, 350+ on average. na is usually around 280 but goes up to 350 in certain zones, and I've tried exitlag, killping, etc, they don't really make much of a difference

Exitlag (and VPN's in general) won't reduce the ping by a noticeable amount (mine dropped from 330-350 average to about 300 average), but it does keep it more stable than not having a VPN (my ping used to spike to well over 30k at times, now it still spikes but its more like 350-500ms instead of 30k). Oceanic player on EU server here.

Honestly, nothing will help reduce the lag to under 200, let alone under 100, for anyone in the Asia-pacific region, especially to the EU servers, the distance to the servers from our region is just physically too far to allow for this.
    The best you can hope for is to keep the ping as stable as possible to prevent the spikes of up to 30k+ ping and try and adjust to suit the delay. It sucks to say this, but that's just the reality of the situation of playing ESO from the Asia-Pacific regions.
  • seventy_kg
    seventy_kg
    ✭✭✭
    Turtle_Bot wrote: »

Have you tried Exit Lag?

Exitlag (and VPN's in general) won't reduce the ping by a noticeable amount (mine dropped from 330-350 average to about 300 average), but it does keep it more stable than not having a VPN (my ping used to spike to well over 30k at times, now it still spikes but its more like 350-500ms instead of 30k). Oceanic player on EU server here.

Honestly, nothing will help reduce the lag to under 200, let alone under 100, for anyone in the Asia-pacific region, especially to the EU servers, the distance to the servers from our region is just physically too far to allow for this.
    The best you can hope for is to keep the ping as stable as possible to prevent the spikes of up to 30k+ ping and try and adjust to suit the delay. It sucks to say this, but that's just the reality of the situation of playing ESO from the Asia-Pacific regions.

yeah and it's sad that "that's just the reality", because all other major mmos have an Asia server, even games with much lower population, like a comment above said, eso was registered in Japan yet there's no local server for it, and everyone playing from all other parts of the world have just accepted the fact that they'll never play without lag. But for me, because I used to live in America, the game feels night and day depending on your ping, I'm just really baffled why a major mmo like eso can have only two servers while probably half of its playerbase are playing at 200+ ping
  • seventy_kg
    seventy_kg
    ✭✭✭
    gronoxvx wrote: »
    Nothing you can really do tbh. If you value ping seek another game. Not being a [snip] about it, just how it is unfortunately.

asking for better gameplay experience makes you a ***??

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 14, 2023 12:37PM
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Exitlag works for me, lower and more stable ping playing from Aus east coast.
  • seventy_kg
    seventy_kg
    ✭✭✭
    Durian wrote: »
    At this point in time it is highly unlikely ZOS would invest in another regional mega server.

It would seem that way, id hope they change their mind tho considering albion just made another server and that game is much less popular than eso
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not just one server for ESO though - it's three: PC, Xbox, PS.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • milkiie
    milkiie
    ✭✭
    Runefang wrote: »
    Exitlag works for me, lower and more stable ping playing from Aus east coast.

Thats lucky for you, I've tried many different GPNs (including ExitLag) and it changes nothing ping-wise
  • milkiie
    milkiie
    ✭✭

Have you tried Exit Lag?

Asia server when? Asia server when? Asia server when?
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As there are multiple threads discussing latency, we have decided to close this thread. Our help article linked below offers different troubleshooting you can try for latency issues while playing ESO.

Latency / Lag - Technical Support - The Elder Scrolls Online
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.