Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Arcanist portal and Cyrodiil

BlueRaven
BlueRaven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I was not sure to post this here or the pvp section, so if I chose poorly, I am sorry.

With the arcanist portal ability (which is supposed to be able to be put up on cliff sides to help exploration) are they going to be able to just teleport onto an enemy keep?

Can they teleport across a river when the bridges are destroyed? Etc

I think the portal ability is cool, but I can see abuses in pvp.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they probably have some kind of max range, like the warden traps or NB shadow image

most ranged skills tend to have a range of 28 meters, and in some places have limitations on where you can use them (like the safety towers in IC probably)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they probably have some kind of max range, like the warden traps or NB shadow image

most ranged skills tend to have a range of 28 meters, and in some places have limitations on where you can use them (like the safety towers in IC probably)

I hope you are correct, I just don’t want to see the ability nerfed for pve because of pvp abuses.
  • Melivar
    Melivar
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully they are not abuseable but we won't see any information about the details until early to mid April since there is a June release date. Should be pretty easy to make a max vertical height distance that is useable so you can't get onto walls.

IIRC they adjusted the DK leap to prevent getting onto walls so the same could apply here.
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "cliff" in the demo is only about half the height of a wall and will probably be the limit. And while portals will certainly be used by trolls in keeps to escape pursuers I'm sure the Devs will have the range set so that you can't teleport far enough to get over broken bridges, get from surrounding hills onto outer walls, or from the roof of the outer wall gatehouse to the inner keep. It will make getting through breaches quite a bit easier though, cast at an angle and pop right past the kill zone.
    I'd count on at least on of the ultimates to be broken OP for a couple of months to drive sales before it gets brought back in line with everything else. But when it gets nerfed it won't be because of people complaining, it will be because it was part of ZOS's typical strategy.
    Edited by Thecompton73 on January 26, 2023 6:47PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bypassing the need to siege down doors and walls through use of skills or strategically placed trees has generally been treated as an exploit. ZOS is not particularly quick about fixing it, but it's been called out as a reportable offense in the past.

As a result, DK chains and leap are pretty buggy on uneven terrain because the Devs nailed down edge cases. It's also caused the Devs to have to nail down access to "safe" Imperial City platforms like the ledges right outside the bases from Warden portals and leaps.

I am not confident that the Devs/Quality Assurance teams have tested all the ins and outs of Cyrodiil and Imperial City for portal abuse. And unfortunately, past experience leads me to expect that holes discovered on PTS will make it to Live, where fixes will not be particular quick in coming.

But who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised?
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bypassing the need to siege down doors and walls through use of skills or strategically placed trees has generally been treated as an exploit. ZOS is not particularly quick about fixing it, but it's been called out as a reportable offense in the past.

As a result, DK chains and leap are pretty buggy on uneven terrai
    n because the Devs nailed down edge cases. It's also caused the Devs to have to nail down access to "safe" Imperial City platforms like the ledges right outside the bases from Warden portals and leaps.

I am not confident that the Devs/Quality Assurance teams have tested all the ins and outs of Cyrodiil and Imperial City for portal abuse. And unfortunately, past experience leads me to expect that holes discovered on PTS will make it to Live, where fixes will not be particular quick in coming.

Portals are a different type of ability since they don't require a target. The mechanic is more akin to a reverse Frozen retreat. Testing in Cyro should be fairly simple, run around each keep and attempt to cast a portal from any raised terrain that is near a wall onto it.
    Edited by Thecompton73 on January 26, 2023 7:01PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As a result, DK chains and leap are pretty buggy on uneven terrain because the Devs nailed down edge cases. It's also caused the Devs to have to nail down access to "safe" Imperial City platforms like the ledges right outside the bases from Warden portals and leaps.

imperial city is a weird case with all of its range suppression stuff for chains

stuff like the beckoning armor for necro doesnt work when you are up on the tower, but it can work if you are not on a tower and the target is up on the tower

the warden trap also works the same, you cant place it on the ground below the tower while up on the tower, but it does work the other way if you are on the ground and get the trap on the tower

some gap closers do also still work to leap up to the towers (notably WW one and DK leap), but there is a kill field on the tower than makes this useless to use anyway
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

n because the Devs nailed down edge cases. It's also caused the Devs to have to nail down access to "safe" Imperial City platforms like the ledges right outside the bases from Warden portals and leaps.

Portals are a different type of ability since they don't require a target. The mechanic is more akin to a reverse Frozen retreat. Testing in Cyro should be fairly simple, run around each keep and attempt to cast a portal from any raised terrain that is near a wall onto it.

I expect (hope) that they take the closed keep stuff into account for implementation. What I am more interested in is the ability to use the skill to jump up into different levels of resource towers or inner/outer keep levels. Could make chasing an Arcanist in a tower a complete nightmare.

Especially when they will almost certainly be able to use the ability to get onto rocks in open world that other player will never be able to climb on top of.
  • Surragard
    Surragard
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reminds me of the bug when you could use reverse chains to climb a keep wall. I’m sure there will be some issues but it will get patched out in time.
    I don't always drink Skooma, but when I do I go to the Southwall Corner Club. May you walk on warm sands my friends.
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

I expect (hope) that they take the closed keep stuff into account for implementation. What I am more interested in is the ability to use the skill to jump up into different levels of resource towers or inner/outer keep levels. Could make chasing an Arcanist in a tower a complete nightmare.

Especially when they will almost certainly be able to use the ability to get onto rocks in open world that other player will never be able to climb on top of.

Not much to go on yet but in the demo I got the impression it's a straight line ability like streak. Probably won't be a problem in towers but could be pain to catch somone using it along interior walls or out in open terrain with rock formations.
  • Nihilr
    Nihilr
    ✭✭✭
    So because we can cast ground effects like caltrops and even Storm Atro ult onto keep walls I'd imagine it can be abused, unless they do a height maximum separate from the range--like when they stopped allowing players to teleport/leap to enemies using Templar Spear or Two-Handed Rush.
  • Akasha_Mei
    Akasha_Mei
    ✭✭
    Be sure people will find out sooner or later, a way to abuse the skills...
    Edited by Akasha_Mei on January 27, 2023 2:12PM
    Kind Regards,Akasha Mei
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some skills just exceptions. Like chains in imperial city.
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I suspect what will go down is people will report all the issues with the new class very early on the PTS but nothing will be done about it. People will then continue to pre-order and buy the chapter up to about 2-3months after release with the confidence that nothing will change, and then anything fun or exploitative about the class will get absolutely destroyed in both PvP and PvE in a major overhaul of the game. This is why I don't pre-order anything anymore, the real testing occurs on Live server now.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either the skill will be disabled in PvP or it will be limited to 1 or 2 teleports. It's too abusive of an ability for PvP.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Either the skill will be disabled in PvP or it will be limited to 1 or 2 teleports. It's too abusive of an ability for PvP.

there isn't a single skill in the game that doesn't work in PvP, I highly doubt they're going to gimp sales of the new chapter/class by starting now. Besides it's basically the Sorc streak with telegraphed start and end points.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

there isn't a single skill in the game that doesn't work in PvP, I highly doubt they're going to gimp sales of the new chapter/class by starting now. Besides it's basically the Sorc streak with telegraphed start and end points.

It‘s supposedly a group teleport and not just a glorified blink aka Streak. There’s a huge difference and a lot of abusive behavior. Streak is horizontal, whereas the portal is not. Both skills are not comparable.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It‘s supposedly a group teleport and not just a glorified blink aka Streak. There’s a huge difference and a lot of abusive behavior. Streak is horizontal, whereas the portal is not. Both skills are not comparable.

Regardless of how comparable the two are do you really think with the power they currently allow organized groups in Cyro they're going to suddenly decide to gimp a new class ability (that they want to sell as many as possible of) because it would be unfair? And if you think you're using the portal to get on/off walls or towers I think you'll be disappointed at just how much vertical elevation the skill will allow.
    Edited by Thecompton73 on January 31, 2023 3:52AM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Regardless of how comparable the two are do you really think with the power they currently allow organized groups in Cyro they're going to suddenly decide to gimp a new class ability (that they want to sell as many as possible of) because it would be unfair? And if you think you're using the portal to get on/off walls or towers I think you'll be disappointed at just how much vertical elevation the skill will allow.

Well. I have been thinking about it more. And there is going to be a ton of readjustments in pvp beyond the possible.elevated wall issue.

Choke points, like when the front door to a castle or keep goes down, may become harder to defend if the attackers can just teleport beyond the hot oil spam.

Setting up a defense inside a keep may be harder if they can just group teleport behind your set up ballistas.

Can they set up teleports to get past destroyed gates? (I forget the term for the destroyable walls between keeps in cyrodiil. Sorry.)

And in IC Arcanists may be able teleport from one building to another to previously inaccessible roof tops.

That movement ability is going to break a lot of general practices I think. Should be interesting.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait to see players accidentally portal off the wall into the waiting maw of the enemies.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »

Well. I have been thinking about it more. And there is going to be a ton of readjustments in pvp beyond the possible.elevated wall issue.

Choke points, like when the front door to a castle or keep goes down, may become harder to defend if the attackers can just teleport beyond the hot oil spam.

Setting up a defense inside a keep may be harder if they can just group teleport behind your set up ballistas.

Can they set up teleports to get past destroyed gates? (I forget the term for the destroyable walls between keeps in cyrodiil. Sorry.)

And in IC Arcanists may be able teleport from one building to another to previously inaccessible roof tops.

That movement ability is going to break a lot of general practices I think. Should be interesting.

The gates are as high as the keep walls so that doesn't seem likely. However it will make a huge impact on defending breaches as the distance certainly looks far enough to bypass the chokepoint/killzone.
    Sorcs can already get to many places no one else can but it hasn't affected game play at all since they're all out of the way and of no strategic importance.
    Edited by Thecompton73 on January 31, 2023 4:31AM
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I absolutely think so. The outrage would be way bigger than the "selling factor" for said skill.

As you can see in the video, the portal is able to be cast on higher elevation you cannot reach by jumping etc. - that alone is a massive advantage in PvP to outsmart your opponents. If the portal somehow can be used by allies to travel through, it will be a gamechanger for almost every fight and be outright abusive. While I think the gameplay would be really fun, it's just a lot of opportunities to create unfair advantages. If the portal usage is limited to the caster, I don't see major problems.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I absolutely think so. The outrage would be way bigger than the "selling factor" for said skill.

As you can see in the video, the portal is able to be cast on higher elevation you cannot reach by jumping etc. - that alone is a massive advantage in PvP to outsmart your opponents. If the portal somehow can be used by allies to travel through, it will be a gamechanger for almost every fight and be outright abusive. While I think the gameplay would be really fun, it's just a lot of opportunities to create unfair advantages. If the portal usage is limited to the caster, I don't see major problems.

The outrage and warnings of imbalance didn't make them change Necro bash builds before release, it didn't get them to change Oakensoul, Malacath or Sea Serpent before they met their sales quota. There is a reason they highlighted the ability in the preview, it's a main selling point of the class that comes with purchase of the chapter. Now if it comes out and it clearly is something that is abused it will get nerfed in 3-6 months. But selling points of chapters go live no matter the uproar because people will complain, then give in a buy it to be on even ground.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will probably disable it in Cyrodiil... or severely handicap it there.
    CP: 1930 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    They will probably disable it in Cyrodiil... or severely handicap it there.

I'd be willing to put a large sum of money down against that happening if there were a sports-book taking bets on it.