Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Xbox or PC

Kilbaba
Kilbaba
Soul Shriven
I bought the base game when it first launched on Xbox. I played for a bit and my character is only level 10. I would like to get back into ESO but wondering if I should start a new character from scratch and if should it be on Xbox or PC. It's unfortunate in 2023 there is no cross-save, let alone cross-play! quite strange. I don't know if I should continue on Xbox with my present character or move over to PC. How is the population on Xbox? Is it decent enough? Or should I just move to PC?
Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 29, 2023 6:58PM
  • AdamLAD
    AdamLAD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xbox EU population is the lowest of any server. Its dead. For PvP you fight the same people over and over. For PvE I'd imagine getting organised groups would be harder. Just go to PC. Will be better there
  • Kilbaba
    Kilbaba
    Soul Shriven
    AdamLAD wrote: »
    Xbox EU population is the lowest of any server. Its dead. For PvP you fight the same people over and over. For PvE I'd imagine getting organised groups would be harder. Just go to PC. Will be better there

Can I use a controller on PC? I'm not a MnK gamer. I guess any crowns have have on Xbox cannot be transferred to my PC account? This cross-play situation really sucks.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kilbaba wrote: »

Can I use a controller on PC? I'm not a MnK gamer. I guess any crowns have have on Xbox cannot be transferred to my PC account? This cross-play situation really sucks.

Controller is fully supported by ESO including the UI that changes size and layout when a controller input is detected.
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes controller can be used on pc (have to enable in settings)

- i play from 2 months on xbox eu too - until announcement for new chapter and the event - it was empty - starting zones - me, couple low lvl and the bots; at dlc zones when i see someone else i was ready to ask "what you doing in my zone?"; couple people dueling in capitals.
    - now not so bad...
    - positive - low prices on guild stores and crowns for gold (when trader is hired from guild).

- pc has addons - immersive time saver/QoL.
    - steady population (pc na more steady).
    - insane prices on guild stores.
    - depending on pc used may have better image quality.
    - it is bug finder for console release...

• endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pc is a much bigger population with a mostly mature demographic, i recommend it. There are plenty in the community that will help you out with progression and gear if needed.
  • N3CR01
    N3CR01
    ✭✭✭✭
    PC because reasons.
  • Overamera
    Overamera
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pc is 10x better than console. You can uncap sensitivity so you dont feel like a robot playing. And all other reasons makes it feel like a different game.
    Edited by Overamera on January 29, 2023 2:16PM
  • PDarkBHood
    PDarkBHood
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for PC. Edited for profanity against consoles...
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes! I play with a controller on PC sometimes. Everyone has already mentioned addons, but for controller play especially I can highly recommend these two:
    1. Controller Tweaks - Collection of useful QOL improvements to controller controls/UI.
    2. Skyrim Style Vibration - allows the controller to rumble far more often (highly customisable) to help deal with the "floaty" feel of ESO combat. Light attacks can now vibrate for example.
    Mods are really easy to install through Minion Mod Manager with the click of a button. If you have a semi-decent PC you can also crank the visuals beyond 11 using a mod called Daybreak (pushes the fog waaaaayyy back for proper vistas) and Reshade (for advanced shaders, including ray-traced lighting and ambient occlusion).

PC just provides you with so many more options via addons, while still supporting (and enhancing) controller playstyles.
    29.jpg?width=1277&height=535
    21.jpg?width=1277&height=535
    Elder_Scrolls_Online_Screenshot_2021.08.04_-_13.50.45.125.jpg?width=1277&height=535

• Surragard
    Surragard
    ✭✭✭✭
    It depends on what you already enjoy playing on and what type of gameplay you want. I play Xbox bc I already prefer gaming on Xbox. If you have a preference already you shouldn’t change it for ESO. However, if you are planning on doing a lot of PvP you do have to consider the server. Xbox NA has healthy PvP campaigns on Xbox but EU does not. PC you’re fine either way. Getting trial groups on PC is easier than Xbox. As for the rest, the game economy is a little better on Xbox because prices are lower but that works both ways if you’re planning on more selling than buying. With the exception of PvP on Xbox EU I think that’s all pretty minor so I would play on what platform you already prefer to game on.
    I don't always drink Skooma, but when I do I go to the Southwall Corner Club. May you walk on warm sands my friends.
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As you're just starting definitely PC. I played the first 5 years on Xbox and in the same month was gifted a series x and a gaming PC that has my oldest son's drooling (I used to PC (EQ)back in the day, and it was an obvious bribe to get me to try WOW )
    While I'll play ESO occasionally on the PC(na) it's very hard to give up 7 years now, literally thousands of $ on crowns, houses, chapters, collectables, etc. Graphics there is some difference but not enough to make an issue out of, 4k looks good on both. PC performance is better (no in game chat is a blessing and a nuisance) and the add ons make things VERY easy, especially if you're used to Xbox.
    For someone like ME, it's a tough call due to the time and rl money I've invested. For someone starting with a level 10 character? I'd go PC all the way.
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd recommend PC. Multiplayer games tend to live and thrive a lot longer on PC in my experience as a multi-platform gamer on PC/Xbox/Playstation over the years. Plus PC has a lot of QOL addons that make the experience better overall.
  • Garethp
    Garethp
    ✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    Mods are really easy to install through Minion Mod Manager with the click of a button.

Minion does make mod management pretty easy, but I'd also suggest Vortex with the ESO UI Integration extension. I've made browser extensions to add one-click installs from the http://esoui.com site directly, instead of finding an addon through the site and then having to find it in Minion and Vortex (with that extension) will automatically download and install all the libs and dependencies of the Addon you want, instead of having to find and install them all yourself.
  • Kilbaba
    Kilbaba
    Soul Shriven
    Great answers 👍🏽 all. Looks like overwhelmingly PC it is. One question, do I need to go through the whole starter mission or can I skip? Is it worth doing anyway for leveling up?
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Great answers 👍🏽 all. Looks like overwhelmingly PC it is. One question, do I need to go through the whole starter mission or can I skip? Is it worth doing anyway for leveling up?
    On Balfiera Isle? It should be pretty fast to complete at least. Once you've finished the tutorial I think you're free to go anywhere you want.

If you're on PC-EU send me an in-game mail to @Darkstorne and I can craft you some levelling gear to get you back up to speed asap. If you're on the NA server, hopefully someone else here can hook you up :smile:
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Idk why anyone would play on xbox or ps5, as they don't have access to addons, and no addons would make me uninstall the game. So I vote pc.
    Edited by gariondavey on January 29, 2023 6:05PM
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • PDarkBHood
    PDarkBHood
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I would recommend doing the tutorial. I found ESO had a pretty hefty learning curve and the tutorial definably helped out, plus coming from playing Skyrim (PC) helped. And ESO is different, I remember hating how the game handled arrows (for bows), you had no choice as to the type of arrows you can use. Instead it is handled via skills: active and passive abilities and you can use poisons, and armor systems to add to the system. It is a pretty good system now.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idk why anyone would play on xbox or ps5, as they don't have access to addons, and no addons would make me uninstall the game. So I vote pc.
    I have both games, PC and PS5, the add-ons are over blown. Map location markers are redundant once everything is found since AwA. Console has timers now, the other add-ons are crutches for the game like telling you when a boss is about to make an attack.

Since the advanced console versions, the PS5's graphics are on par with ultra settings from my $2000 PC. The fact that I can lay in bed in front of a 55' TV with a controller in hand makes the game more enjoyable rather than sitting at a desk in front of monitor.

I don't know the population on XBox but on Sony NA, the game is beyond packed especially now that ESO 1T is free. Grey Host PVP server is pop locked every night with no less than 2 bars for each faction during the day.

Population wise, there is no difference between console and PC so I don't know why PC only players keep flocking to that idea.

There is no wrong with console, prices are cheaper, gold to crown rate is cheaper, same population, no add-ons but once again the add-ons for PC are just QOL features and most of them are crutches like the ESO change room addon.

I would even go as far to say that console players are better at the game because we don't have those crutches. Going from PC to Console was hard at first because I had to ween myself off from those add-ons but in the end. I enjoy the game on console more.
  • Aektann
    Aektann
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I LOVE to play on consoles because of addons not available.
    Yes, addons is add some quality of life stuff, but addons add too many auto (mm, matt's, etc).
    On consoles you just take gamepad and play. And you're on an equal footing with everyone else.
    Edited by Aektann on January 29, 2023 8:13PM
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have problems fitting the game on my latest PC due to the reduced size of the hard drive and increasing size of the game. I have to move to console soon.
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mesite wrote: »
    I have problems fitting the game on my latest PC due to the reduced size of the hard drive and increasing size of the game. I have to move to console soon.

usb 3.* has good speeds, eso works fine through external ssd on pc, almost good on hdd and would think it will even work through network drive...