Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

I am unable to remove the nickname on my storage chest

DirtyDeeds765
DirtyDeeds765
✭✭✭✭
On PlayStation 5, North American server, I am unable to remove the nickname on my storage chest. I am not wanting to change it. I am wanting to remove it all together. When I go to erase the nickname, the accept option is not there. It says "Invalid name. Name cannot be too short". It's telling me I must put something. When I try to enter a couple of spaces to see if that will get it to remove, it makes the nickname two quotations.

I have tried looking in the housing editor settings, collection settings, removing and replacing the storage chest, etc. To no avail.

@DirtyDeeds765

nxdcxdra4hk4.jpg

Edit: They don't come with a nickname. They come with a regular name like every other item in the game. Once you give them a nickname, it appears below the name of the storage chest.

Edit: a word.
Edited by DirtyDeeds765 on January 27, 2023 7:45PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont think there is a way to disable the "nickname" for the storage container

and as you noticed just adding blank spaces only half works because they are actual characters which is why it just shows as 2 sets of quotes

my guess as to why they force having a nickname is because you have 3-4 identical looking storage containers, so those nicknames are kind of supposed to be like labels for the chest (like i have a chest just labeled "witches festival stuff" to denote its full of witches festival related drops)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

and as you noticed just adding blank spaces only half works because they are actual characters which is why it just shows as 2 sets of quotes

my guess as to why they force having a nickname is because you have 3-4 identical looking storage containers, so those nicknames are kind of supposed to be like labels for the chest (like i have a chest just labeled "witches festival stuff" to denote its full of witches festival related drops)

But they don't come with nicknames in the first place, and there is no problem with leaving them without.

The issue seems to be that once we do add nicknames, we can't remove them. (Not the official name of the coffer or chest, e.g. "Storage Chest, Oaken," but the nickname we gave it that appears below.)

If they started with no nicknames, why can't we go back to no nicknames? It seems that we get trapped into having one (even the blank quotes) once we add any at all.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

But they don't come with nicknames in the first place, and there is no problem with leaving them without.

The issue seems to be that once we do add nicknames, we can't remove them. (Not the official name of the coffer or chest, e.g. "Storage Chest, Oaken," but the nickname we gave it that appears below.)

If they started with no nicknames, why can't we go back to no nicknames? It seems that we get trapped into having one (even the blank quotes) once we add any at all.

ive had the chests for a long time, i dont honestly remember if they did or did not come with the nicknames lol

i put them on as labels for my own use pretty early on so i could figure out what the chest was without opening it lol

if on PC and using an addon such as inventory insight, it does also show those chest names in the list of filters and to show where items are located
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

ive had the chests for a long time, i dont honestly remember if they did or did not come with the nicknames lol

i put them on as labels for my own use pretty early on so i could figure out what the chest was without opening it lol

if on PC and using an addon such as inventory insight, it does also show those chest names in the list of filters and to show where items are located

They do not come with nicknames, only the official names. That's what makes it so strange that we can't get back to how they started.