Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Hardest open world boss?Solo?

Getsugatenso
Getsugatenso
✭✭
Is this considered the hardest boss in the open world?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjiwUWHSO88
  • Hasenpfote
    Hasenpfote
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think he is strong solo

https://youtu.be/EOOmHxDVeCQ
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't know what that is. In years past I believe the Unfinished Dolmen in Wrothgar was considered the hardest.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walks-Like-Thunder, due to the rapid healing mechanic that is nearly impossible to curb without another player.

Elsweyr dragons also. Perhaps a strong self-sustain tank could do it, but in the amount of time it would take to deal enough damage to the boss, odds are other people will have shown up by then.
    Edited by Molydeus on December 29, 2022 1:39AM
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Molydeus wrote: »
    Walks-Like-Thunder, due to the rapid healing mechanic that is nearly impossible to curb without another player.

Elsweyr dragons also. Perhaps a strong self-sustain tank could do it, but in the amount of time it would take to deal enough damage to the boss, odds are other people will have shown up by then.

The dragons are really the best world boss encounter I've seen in the game. Their impact on the environment and the need for at least a small group makes them feel really good to face. Wondering bosses are cool i guess, and harrowstorms are okay but i wish we had more extremely difficult world bosses like dragons. Veteran overland should solve that if that's what they're doing in q2 or q4 in 2023.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Foxtrot39
    Foxtrot39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is this considered the hardest boss in the open world?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjiwUWHSO88

Yes but only if you dont' take any DLC area into account, that's the hardest base game world boss, not the hardest world boss there is
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really consider dragons to be 'world bosses' since they are definitely designed to be fought with a group and can typically one-shot single players quite easily; I don't know if I've ever seen a single player actually defeat a dragon.

Honestly, I do believe older zones need to nerf a lot of their world bosses and other 'world event' systems. With player decline, it's tough to find a group to complete many of these... and with so many zones, the players that are here are extremely spread out. Again I go back to DCUO, where the player decline is so extreme that you cannot complete a lot of older content due to not being able to find a group. I do not want to see this happen to ESO... and I think ZOS needs to start preparing for further decline and making 'group' content more soloable. Even FFXIV realized this and implemented systems to allow players to use NPCs for group content, and they don't even have the player decline that ESO does. But, that's Yoshi-P planning ahead... and not constantly being behind the 8-ball like so many other MMOs.
    CP: 1930 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree about dragons, they 're really exceptionnals.
    It is my personnal challenge since i can defeat all wb on tamriel except them.

Edited by Xarc on January 5, 2023 1:52PM
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    "La mort, c'est surfait.", Xarc
    Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
    Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
    Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
    Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
    Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
    Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
    Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
    Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
    kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
    - since april.2014
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    I don't really consider dragons to be 'world bosses' since they are definitely designed to be fought with a group and can typically one-shot single players quite easily; I don't know if I've ever seen a single player actually defeat a dragon.

Honestly, I do believe older zones need to nerf a lot of their world bosses and other 'world event' systems. With player decline, it's tough to find a group to complete many of these... and with so many zones, the players that are here are extremely spread out. Again I go back to DCUO, where the player decline is so extreme that you cannot complete a lot of older content due to not being able to find a group. I do not want to see this happen to ESO... and I think ZOS needs to start preparing for further decline and making 'group' content more soloable. Even FFXIV realized this and implemented systems to allow players to use NPCs for group content, and they don't even have the player decline that ESO does. But, that's Yoshi-P planning ahead... and not constantly being behind the 8-ball like so many other MMOs.

Player decline is overblown, at least on PC NA. Zones are still packed, and if anything have too many people in them for my tastes. It's rare to run a delve or public dungeon without running into other players, or to fight a world boss without someone showing up before I'm done. And gods no, we do not need more nerfs to Overland. It's already stupidly easy and boring; world bosses are the only thing worth killing.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Hunger in Vvardenfell is, unless I'm missing something, impossible to solo due to mechanics. If that counts as 'hard'.
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    The Hunger in Vvardenfell is, unless I'm missing something, impossible to solo due to mechanics. If that counts as 'hard'.

https://eso-skillbook.com/skill/precognition
  • AndreNoir
    AndreNoir
    ✭✭✭
    I would say that goblin from Blackwood - too much adds and he has an absurd damage
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »

https://eso-skillbook.com/skill/precognition

Putting that in my playbook. Any clue if it works with all dungeon "mechanics", even if they're not exclusively CC?

I'm thinking Bandu's blade in FG2 or the Flesh Sculptor in ICP.
    Edited by DocFrost72 on January 8, 2023 4:23AM
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Walks-Like-Thunder in murkmire

Unless you are in a group you literally can't kill them due to the healing totems mixture of being so widely scattered and healing the boss for an insane amount of HP per tick
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragons are world events like Harrowstorms, Dolmens, Geysers, Portals etc they are not world bosses, the map icons depict the world bosses
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Putting that in my playbook. Any clue if it works with all dungeon "mechanics", even if they're not exclusively CC?

Works against most of them, but not all, like Cauldron's first boss Iron Maiden (does not appear solo at least). Does not work well against second to last boss in Cradle of Shadows "Goodbye now" hold not because it doesn't free you, but the frequency of that attack vs your ultigen.

Confirmed holds it does work:
    -Hunger in Morrowind
    -Scavenging Maw in DoM
    -Flesh Sculptor in ICP
    -Whatever that boss is called in Fungal 2
    -Whatever that Harvester boss is called in Vaults of Madness (barely deals any damage tho if you have heals over time on)
    -Zaan's Inferno Hold in SCP
    -Doggo boss jump in CT (doesnt jump when solo)
    -Whatever that boss is called in CoS (might be doable with companion?)
    -Red wisp mother in High Isle public dungeon (can be outhealed by Vigor when cast just right)

Doesn't work:
    -Cage mechanic in WGT (call companion so the boss won't reset and you are good to go)
    -First boss in Cauldron (doesn't happen solo)
    -Nerieneth in CoH2 (place enough dots to break the shield and the boss will drop you)
    -All sorts of holds in trials like SS tombs, blood prison in KA
    Edited by robpr on January 10, 2023 7:06AM
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In base game there are three that are problematic to solo, but not impossible.
    Twin Tigers and Ogre in Grahtwood and Golden Saint in Stonefalls. All they have in common is either constant or a CC attack followed by heavy attack that is usually lethal when not blocked/dodged.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dragons are tough, but they are not classed as "world bosses" as they give similar drops to dolmens/harrowstorms/abyssal geysers

i would agree walks-like-thunder is probably the hardest WB because of the absurd healing (and this doesnt make it "hard" per se because im never really under threat of dying while fighting the boss)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    robpr wrote: »

Works against most of them, but not all, like Cauldron's first boss Iron Maiden (does not appear solo at least). Does not work well against second to last boss in Cradle of Shadows "Goodbye now" hold not because it doesn't free you, but the frequency of that attack vs your ultigen.

Confirmed holds it does work:
    -Hunger in Morrowind
    -Scavenging Maw in DoM
    -Flesh Sculptor in ICP
    -Whatever that boss is called in Fungal 2
    -Whatever that Harvester boss is called in Vaults of Madness (barely deals any damage tho if you have heals over time on)
    -Zaan's Inferno Hold in SCP
    -Doggo boss jump in CT (doesnt jump when solo)
    -Whatever that boss is called in CoS (might be doable with companion?)
    -Red wisp mother in High Isle public dungeon (can be outhealed by Vigor when cast just right)

Doesn't work:
    -Cage mechanic in WGT (call companion so the boss won't reset and you are good to go)
    -First boss in Cauldron (doesn't happen solo)
    -Nerieneth in CoH2 (place enough dots to break the shield and the boss will drop you)
    -All sorts of holds in trials like SS tombs, blood prison in KA

Last time I did the Flesh Sculptor I had my companion with shield/onehander (no taunt), she bash- interrupted him each time he pinned me down. Haven't tried that on other bosses that channel a pin down.
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walks-Like-Thunder for sure. Other world bosses with interrupt mechanics can be done with 2 people. You really need like 4 people to do Walks as that healing mechanic is no joke. Easily the most infuriating WB they've ever crafted.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • jecks33
    jecks33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ri Atahrashi in shouth elsweyr
    PC-EU
  • Ishtarknows
    Ishtarknows
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not impossible. Ring of pale order makes it easy now, just keep up your DoTs and you'll be fine for a the few seconds you're stunned. I did it before the ring came out, just by keeping up Crit surge and letting my DoTs heal me . Or you can use precognition as someone else said.