Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cannot mount in combat - why not?

Censorious
Censorious
✭✭✭✭
This one drives me insane. Not only can you NOT mount in combat, the 'in combat' flag stays up forever after a little skirmish. You have to run while everyone around you who didn't get flagged is racing off for the objective, leaving you behind.

What's the point of this? Being on a horse is an actual disadvantage in a fight - you'll be pulled down and stunned if you get hit and it's a pretty wise move to get off your horse well before there's any chance of a fight. Stopping you mounting is just plain dumb - it's something you do at your own risk.
'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • Utherix
    Utherix
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, you should be able to mount in combat. This rule serves no purpose.
  • killedbyping
    killedbyping
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree.
    First of all, the mechanics of Horse in ESO are so bad (real life emulating) that it wont give you any advantages if you try to use it in battle.
    If there are any enemys around you wil get killed before you manage to mount\dismount. Yet again, you will be dismounted by enemys pretty easy even if you invest alot in horses stamina.
    And the fact, that combat flag remains with you for very long are really pissing me off.
    Edited by killedbyping on April 29, 2014 9:32AM
  • Reavan
    Reavan
    ✭✭✭
    There are other MMOs where you can mount in combat..
    PVP and PVE consists of people jumping on and off their mounts during fights.
    It's a horrible thing really.
    The only problem really is the combat timer which for me should be a static 7 sec after the last thing you hit or which hit you.
    The whole 30sec to 1min in combat unable to mount, unable to sneak kinda destroys pvp.
  • Singular
    Singular
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since your characters are awesomely powerful, your horse must teleport into your backpack the moment danger arises, since all danger you encounter would instantly kill any horse.

There is no more greater realism than a multi-dimensional, vanishing and very frightened horse. Well done, ESO!
    War, give me war, give me war.
  • Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Im sure there are technical limitations or reasons for this. Remember they had to work pretty hard to get pvp to work as it is now, with improvements to be hashed out later.
    If I am going to quote someone, it's going to be me.
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chryos wrote: »
    Im sure there are technical limitations or reasons for this. Remember they had to work pretty hard to get pvp to work as it is now, with improvements to be hashed out later.

I can't imagine what technical limitations there could be. It's simply a timer on your last damage in or out. Even using a heal skill on an ally currently flagged for combat puts the debuff on you.

It's reasonable to put a timout lock on some actions in combat, entering stealth for example, but in this case it's pointless and simply annoying.
  • ChampionSheWolf
    ChampionSheWolf
    ✭✭✭
    You cannot mount in combat for balance reasons. Plain and simple.
    Harbinger of The Black Wolves.
    Member of Grindstone.

Ebonheart Pact
    Tyra Ravenheim - Templar (newly rerolled)
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    You cannot mount in combat for balance reasons. Plain and simple.

Care to elaborate?
  • Dantonian_Rarstiana
    I would be OK with mounting in combat, except they would have to start your mount at zero stamina, not full.
    That way the first hit you take would knock you off, making it impractical to mount in combat for any reason other than the intended "Combat is over, I wanna leave now"
  • vandefanel
    vandefanel
    ✭✭
    This would actually fix the Bolt Escape nonsense too if you could just mount up and immediately give chase.
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah this is terrible, drives me nuts too.

OP did you know that most of the time when this happens, it's because you took part in the kill of someone and they laid there instead of resing?

Yep you wont leave combat until the dead person res's WTF?? I think it may work like this if someone you are healing dies too.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Censorious wrote: »
    This one drives me insane. Not only can you NOT mount in combat, the 'in combat' flag stays up forever after a little skirmish. You have to run while everyone around you who didn't get flagged is racing off for the objective, leaving you behind.

What's the point of this? Being on a horse is an actual disadvantage in a fight - you'll be pulled down and stunned if you get hit and it's a pretty wise move to get off your horse well before there's any chance of a fight. Stopping you mounting is just plain dumb - it's something you do at your own risk.

This is nothing out of the ordinary and typical of other MMORPGs.

Doesn't bother me, but it wouldn't bother me if they let you mount up during combat either. So I'm indifferent about this.
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its lag that causes you to remain in combat after you've killed all the enemies. It is quite annoying...

Not being able to mount in combat has become quite the MMO tradition tho... I don't think they should follow that tradition myself. They could just do it differently like starting your horse off with half stamina if you mount in combat.

They should also fix it so that horse that is out of stamina cant sprint anymore.
    Edited by demonlkojipub19_ESO on May 12, 2014 3:13PM
  • Axer
    Axer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yea plus there is also some weird horrible bug in cyrodil where you can be stuck in combat PERMANENTLY.

I was in it for over 30mins. Nothing around, killed some npcs to try to end it.. It ended it in the snese I could then loot a lorebook, but still could not mount due to in combat.

Only solution was death.. Very annoying.

I get why its in.. Just needs additional checks to fade after ~30 seconds tops. Currently lingers far too long, and sometimes forever.

Possibly related to rapid maneuver. As I was grouped while this happened, and my ally did not get stuck in combat, doing the exact same steps I did, except not using rapid maneuver.
    Edited by Axer on May 14, 2014 5:10AM
    Axer. Main tank and Leader of Crush it! (NA-EP highly skilled trials guild)
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being able to mount in combat would be a bad idea. Nonsensical.

If your group rides off and leaves you, I'd leave that group and look for one that works together more (assuming you're not in a 'zerg'/pug).

Personally I think our horses should have HP, and once they die, that's it; we would have to buy new ones.
    Edited by Rev Rielle on May 14, 2014 10:58PM
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Nijjion
    Nijjion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Problem is that there seems to be 2 types of being out of combat.

After about 10 seconds not getting hit I can change my skills and do stuff I can't do 'in combat' but then it takes like 2-3 minutes sometimes to be able to get completely out of combat (by the looks of addons saying you are out of combat).

Mounts need to work at the same out of combat as changing skills are possible.

So many downsides of being on a mount they should just allow you to mount in combat anyway.
    NijjijjioN - DK - AR27
    NijjioN - NB -
    Daggerfall Covenant
    The Nice Guys Guild
    EverQuest -> Dark Age of Camelot -> Ragnarok Online -> Cabal Online -> Guild Wars 1 -> Warhammer Online -> Vindictus -> SWTOR -> Tera -> Guild Wars 2 -> Elder Scrolls Online ->

Eagerly awaiting Camelot Unchained.
  • sagitter
    sagitter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol 1 of the worst suggestion ever.
  • Hakurei
    Hakurei
    Rev Rielle wrote: »

Personally I think our horses should have HP, and once they die, that's it; we would have to buy new ones.

That would be too hardcore for the majority of the players here. To see your investment (24/47k gold and/or all the gained levels) being blown away by the enemy, will put off allot of people.
    Edited by Hakurei on May 30, 2014 11:23AM
    Ebonheart Templar V12 :s
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hakurei wrote: »

That would be too hardcore for the majority of the players here. To see your investment (24/47k gold and/or all the gained levels) being blown away by the enemy, will put off allot of people.

Unless you have Imp edition, then your horse base cost is just 1 gold.
  • Hakurei
    Hakurei
    Hakurei wrote: »

Unless you have Imp edition, then your horse base cost is just 1 gold.

true, but there still will be rage when its level 50 and dies. => 50 days feeding lost. + will make people leave cyrodill cause they dont want to walk = dead pvp server.
    Ebonheart Templar V12 :s
  • Snit
    Snit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea. Nobody in their right mind would mount in combat if there were actual combat nearby -- being caught on horseback is a death sentence in Cyrodil.

This would only be relevant when you're stuck in combat too long. As a healer, it's particularly annoying to be running everywhere, long after your entire group has been able to mount up.
    Snit AD Sorc
    Ratbag AD Warden Tank
    Goblins AD Stamblade

• DlSTORTlON
    DlSTORTlON
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to be able to cast (at least use light/heavy attacks) while mounted. Mounted archers would be so cool, and so would the ability to slash someone as you rode by.

Having to dismount to use some skills isn't very immersive in my opinion. Could lead to some interesting game-play, especially in Cyrodiil.

I'm not saying there won't be any balancing required - perhaps the abilities cost twice as much while mounted (due to the increase of skill required to do them while on horseback) - or have their effects halved.
    ZOS - proving that incompetence is rewarded more often than not since 2007

Elder Scrolls Online - Designed by geniuses, implemented by Mr. Bean