Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Idea(s) for 2023 and Beyond

Seminolegirl1992
Seminolegirl1992
✭✭✭✭✭
There are several threads like this already that are not only theorizing what new features we will see in 2023 but also what we would like to see in 2023, and I have one such suggestion. My fiance and I were talking last night and one of the things he pointed out was how ESO's weapons all attack the exact same way. All one handed weapons slash. All two handed (except staves and bows) swing wide. His suggestion to add more diversity to the game was 'battle stances'. Similar to personalities (if not just making it a personality), a battle stance could allow a different way to strike an enemy. It *seems* easier to implement than adding another weapon skill line, though I would be interested in that as well. The only downside to that is more balancing.

A lot of ESO players are into the rpg element of the game, so it could be interesting to see a fighting style that utilizes piercing damage, like a rapier or a dagger. So the animation is more of a stabbing motion instead of slashing. Mauls and axes- perhaps there's a fighting style that swings over the head in a chopping motion. Battle stances could take inspiration from tabletop games like D&D. For instance- there is bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing. Perhaps bows could have different stances as well, but there's only so much one could do regarding bows and staves.

I understand this is more along the lines of cosmetic blah, but it's something we've wished the game to have for years. We often have thin bladed weapons that we imagine to be rapiers (the Greymoor motif style in particular), but they of course slash as much as a sturdy longsword does, even though it physically looks like it would just bounce off an enemy. Thanks for reading and perhaps considering this as something to add as a nice touch to the game.
@Seminolegirl1992 PC/NA CP 2300+ PVE, PVP, RP, Housing: Tel Galen, Fair Winds, Moon Sugar, Grand Psijic, Forsaken, HOTLC, Bastion, Ravenhurst, Gardner, Alinor, Hakkvild's, Gorinir, Kragenhome, Hundings, & more- feel free to come see!
Main PVE: Rynne, breton mag dk
PVP: Levexa, EP nord mag dk
Crafter: Sabaki Taiyo, khajiit templar
RP: N'zuri, Penelope Mecoud, Vhenasi Galanodel, Alassea Rilynn'urdrenn, Taiga Soulhammer, Jhaneyl Everhath, Nym Baenre, Eilistraee, Levexa, Rynne Galanodel, Mielikki, Hanali Celanil, Arwen Galanodel, Grainne. I think I have a problem.
Former Empress | Swashbuckler Supreme | Godslayer | Gryphon Heart | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Dro-m'athra Destroyer | Dawnbringer
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are several threads like this already that are not only theorizing what new features we will see in 2023 but also what we would like to see in 2023, and I have one such suggestion. My fiance and I were talking last night and one of the things he pointed out was how ESO's weapons all attack the exact same way. All one handed weapons slash. All two handed (except staves and bows) swing wide. His suggestion to add more diversity to the game was 'battle stances'. Similar to personalities (if not just making it a personality), a battle stance could allow a different way to strike an enemy. It *seems* easier to implement than adding another weapon skill line, though I would be interested in that as well. The only downside to that is more balancing.

So, are you thinking like Customized Actions, but for combat? They COULD be all client side really, just a replacement animation. I know that there are hordes of Templars out there that would want that...

I think the great sign of a good idea is if you can come up with at least 3-4 examples though. For instance, you bring up 2H HA is the overhand wallop for everyone. What are 3 different HA animations for 2H? How about for Bow HA?
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This change wouldn’t have to be just cosmetic, as they could divide Two-Handed, Dual-Wield, and Sword and Shield into several abilities that only apply when equipped with a specific weapon type; in example, you would need a sword or dagger to puncture, axes or swords to twin slash or low slash, uppercut would make more sense with a maul.

A change like this could be implemented with quite a few new abilities for each weapon category broken up into something similar to Blade and Blunt that we found in Oblivion and could be paired with a Fighter’s Guild rework; something that would make melee users less offended by the idea of Spellcrafting.
  • Seminolegirl1992
    Seminolegirl1992
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appreciate the responses! Yes to @Billium813, similar to customized actions. I agree that more diversity is better. @The_Titan_Tim even better ideas!
    @Seminolegirl1992 PC/NA CP 2300+ PVE, PVP, RP, Housing: Tel Galen, Fair Winds, Moon Sugar, Grand Psijic, Forsaken, HOTLC, Bastion, Ravenhurst, Gardner, Alinor, Hakkvild's, Gorinir, Kragenhome, Hundings, & more- feel free to come see!
    RP: N'zuri, Penelope Mecoud, Vhenasi Galanodel, Alassea Rilynn'urdrenn, Taiga Soulhammer, Jhaneyl Everhath, Nym Baenre, Eilistraee, Levexa, Rynne Galanodel, Mielikki, Hanali Celanil, Arwen Galanodel, Grainne. I think I have a problem.
    Former Empress | Swashbuckler Supreme | Godslayer | Gryphon Heart | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Dro-m'athra Destroyer | Dawnbringer
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't play templar anymore due to the change to jabs. I'd be happy to use it again if there were custom animations for the jabs change, though people have been asking for custom animations for skills for years. They're kinda dipping their toes into the idea with the three "animations" they added, of which one was a reused animation from the Marrowind chapter, one was just a color tint change, and the last was a new particle effect. I don't expect big changes or big new skill animations when they release custom animations with nothing new. Templar's jabs? possible since it's an animation that exists.
    Edited by merpins on January 1, 2023 7:07AM
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appreciate the responses! Yes to @Billium813, similar to customized actions. I agree that more diversity is better. @The_Titan_Tim even better ideas!

No problem! I’m all for changing up the normal we’ve gotten used to, and I’m of the opinion that melee should be much more common than magic, and that magic should be more supplementary than it currently is for most builds where all class abilities are magic, and tend to make up most of our abilities.
    Edited by The_Titan_Tim on January 1, 2023 7:14AM
  • xgoldelf
    xgoldelf
    The only change I really want is a mini map on consoles
  • Seminolegirl1992
    Seminolegirl1992
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    merpins wrote: »
    I don't play templar anymore due to the change to jabs. I'd be happy to use it again if there were custom animations for the jabs change, though people have been asking for custom animations for skills for years. They're kinda dipping their toes into the idea with the three "animations" they added, of which one was a reused animation from the Marrowind chapter, one was just a color tint change, and the last was a new particle effect. I don't expect big changes or big new skill animations when they release custom animations with nothing new. Templar's jabs? possible since it's an animation that exists.

Agreed. I hate the change to jabs. And as many have pointed out, since they're starting to add custom animations, it's not too far off to imagine custom combat stances or animations.