Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Companion Quality of Life Feature Changes!

King_Jude
King_Jude
✭✭✭
Companion Features

What needs to change about Companions?
  • Companions should able to be used as another form of storage.

• Companions should dodge roll left to right, back and fourth instead of constantly dodge rolling backwards. Companions often take aggro from the players, then pull bosses out of range resetting the fight.

• Companion gear should be able to be crafted, including crafted sets making companion builds more unique to better assist the player.

• Companion's should be able to attain the same gear from dungeons, trials the player has collected to make the companions build more diverse to better assist the players desires.

• Companion gear should be able to be upgraded by the players.

• Player's should be able to start researching companion traits for the companion gear available.

• DPS companion's should be able to consistently output 40k DPS equivalent to 40k DPS on a 3m Skeleton target dummy when the dummy has been defeated. as currently companions are far too weak, and most players do not bother with companions. Companions need to be more useful.

• Player's should have the option to create/design a companion similar to how a player creates a new character.

• Player's should also be able to choose a companions like's and dislikes based off the player's playstyle.

• Player's should have the option to change a companions default outfit as when placed in player homes, the companion is wearing the desired outfit/costume with the player's desired colors.

• Player's should be able to place hats, skins, and other player cosmetics onto companions.

• Player's should be able to summon up to 3 companions for solo or small group play in pve. Player's should have the option to play their desired style, setup a Tank companion, Healer companion, and DPS companion to make that solo content more exciting for the players.
    (This feature would be optional, so the player's who don't like companions don't have to use it, but it's an option should a player choose too.)
Edited by King_Jude on December 23, 2022 2:27AM
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll add make them have unique statlines and abilities instead of just watered down version of a player's class.

Like for instance in terms of statlines. Bastian has the most HP like 40k at base instead of the standard 30k and Ember has the highest crit chance like 25% at base.

That being said, please for the love of god add a stat screen for them.

Also, I disagree with the choosing their likes and dislikes. They're supposed their own character you know.
  • Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sure that Companion damage is so low because of the fear that players might want to replace group members with their companions. So kicking some players at the start of dungeon or anything similar that leads a player removal from the group just to put a companion in.
  • tim77
    tim77
    ✭✭✭✭
    100% agree on OP.
    you pretty much listed all my pain points for them and suggested a good solution.

but also pretty sure none of these will happen :(
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with a few of these points. Dodge rolling backwards all the time is definitely annoying. Total cosmetic control with respect to clothing and hair styles would be nice. This includes how they look if placed in homes.

Additionally, I would like the companion to mirror any kind of emote. It's so awkward to sit down at the bar while my companion stands there. So awkward. Speaking of awkward, they never dance with me. I thought they liked me?
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • Icyfire369
    Icyfire369
    ✭✭✭
    King_*** wrote: »
    Companion Features

What needs to change about Companions?
    • Companions should able to be used as another form of storage.

• Companions should dodge roll left to right, back and fourth instead of constantly dodge rolling backwards. Companions often take aggro from the players, then pull bosses out of range resetting the fight.

• Companion gear should be able to be crafted, including crafted sets making companion builds more unique to better assist the player.

• Companion's should be able to attain the same gear from dungeons, trials the player has collected to make the companions build more diverse to better assist the players desires.

• Companion gear should be able to be upgraded by the players.

• Player's should be able to start researching companion traits for the companion gear available.

• DPS companion's should be able to consistently output 40k DPS equivalent to 40k DPS on a 3m Skeleton target dummy when the dummy has been defeated. as currently companions are far too weak, and most players do not bother with companions. Companions need to be more useful.

• Player's should have the option to create/design a companion similar to how a player creates a new character.

• Player's should also be able to choose a companions like's and dislikes based off the player's playstyle.

• Player's should have the option to change a companions default outfit as when placed in player homes, the companion is wearing the desired outfit/costume with the player's desired colors.

• Player's should be able to place hats, skins, and other player cosmetics onto companions.

I love all these ideas!
  • Icyfire369
    Icyfire369
    ✭✭✭
    Treeshka wrote: »
    I am sure that Companion damage is so low because of the fear that players might want to replace group members with their companions. So kicking some players at the start of dungeon or anything similar that leads a player removal from the group just to put a companion in.

Players do this already as soon as you want to play your own way. "Running ahead and killing mobs while the rest of us are looting? Kick."

Part of the reason I run dungeons solo and offline. So I can RP in peace with my companion and pets.
  • Icyfire369
    Icyfire369
    ✭✭✭
    Giraffon wrote: »
    I agree with a few of these points. Dodge rolling backwards all the time is definitely annoying. Total cosmetic control with respect to clothing and hair styles would be nice. This includes how they look if placed in homes.

Additionally, I would like the companion to mirror any kind of emote. It's so awkward to sit down at the bar while my companion stands there. So awkward. Speaking of awkward, they never dance with me. I thought they liked me?

Lol! Yes! OR put in some emotes that you can do WITH your companion. Like pass a ball back and forth, or rock-paper-scissors. Something to interact with them. Play an instrument and they dance for you. Or vice versa.

Also, I thought it would be cool if you could challenge your companion to a duel in Tales of Tribute. That'd be pretty neat.
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of those things, plus:
    • Romance! :love:
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Companions are fine except the gear upgrading. And level 20 is a long grind.

Keep in mind that they are meant as NPC characters, not play dolls to make fancy.

And the rest of the suggestions are just asking for trouble. I mean seriously, 40k DPS? That would make companions more powerful than half of the DPS I meet in daily random Dungeons. Probably even more.
    And the AI is limited by the game's engine. Not the game developers.
    Edited by Zodiarkslayer on December 22, 2022 6:36PM
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • King_Jude
    King_Jude
    ✭✭✭
    Companions are not find, majority of players don't use them as they don't find them useful. Leveling them to lvl 20 is such a short grind, it only take a few hours of your time to level them from 1-20. Even faster during xp events.

Yes it would make companions stronger than the average player who doesn't have the DPS to complete veteran content, or speed runs. It's say to queue up for a dungeon and spend an hour or longer in a 5-15min dungeon.

It's better to have the option to queue in to play with other players, or to go in with your friend and both your companions.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the suggestions on companion storage, dodge rolling and customising their houseguest outfit.

Their gear system needs an overhaul too, but I'm not sure I really want them having the same gear as players. I would also disagree in giving them more DPS, as they need to be less effective than players or there would be almost no impetus to group up.

The only other improvement I'd suggest is to make them step out of ground AOEs, which is a mindlessly basic expectation in any game.
  • King_Jude
    King_Jude
    ✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »
    I agree with the suggestions on companion storage, dodge rolling and customising their houseguest outfit.

Their gear system needs an overhaul too, but I'm not sure I really want them having the same gear as players. I would also disagree in giving them more DPS, as they need to be less effective than players or there would be almost no impetus to group up.

The only other improvement I'd suggest is to make them step out of ground AOEs, which is a mindlessly basic expectation in any game.

Think about the part you disagree with in this aspect. You and the game developers are openly admitting that if the companions had 40k DPS, then they're better than the vast majority of the game that does do DPS, but they don't do anything to change how DPS is done or to make it better. Why should other players be forced to play with the people who aren't making an effort to get their dps where it needs to be or plainly swapping roles to something they can actually handle?

Also another issue is this. Players speed run through dungeon content, especially when farming gear. I personally do this on normal for my collection book. If I play with other players, I could raise my chance at collecting more gear for the sticker book if they're willing to part with it... However, often you will get players who often complain that you're going too fast, they will try to kick you, or they will stand there, not participate hoping that you die then get upset when you can clear without dying. Also you may get players who wants everyone to wait for them to do their quest and read all the dialogue. The companions would help them go in solo to get this done, while the companions would help my far go quicker even though I'd have no chances at extra drops.

I don't feel like companions have 40k DPS has a negative effect to the game. It may even motivate players to try harder or try different roles so that there's more tanks and healers. In addition to that, players still have to group up with other players to complete trifectas, so when it counts companions can't even be used for challenges such as trifectas.

So what negatives does stronger companions really bring to the table other than giving players more freedom to play how they want?
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Think about the part you disagree with in this aspect. You and the game developers are openly admitting that if the companions had 40k DPS, then they're better than the vast majority of the game that does do DPS, but they don't do anything to change how DPS is done or to make it better. Why should other players be forced to play with the people who aren't making an effort to get their dps where it needs to be or plainly swapping roles to something they can actually handle?

Also another issue is this. Players speed run through dungeon content, especially when farming gear. I personally do this on normal for my collection book. If I play with other players, I could raise my chance at collecting more gear for the sticker book if they're willing to part with it... However, often you will get players who often complain that you're going too fast, they will try to kick you, or they will stand there, not participate hoping that you die then get upset when you can clear without dying. Also you may get players who wants everyone to wait for them to do their quest and read all the dialogue. The companions would help them go in solo to get this done, while the companions would help my far go quicker even though I'd have no chances at extra drops.

I don't feel like companions have 40k DPS has a negative effect to the game. It may even motivate players to try harder or try different roles so that there's more tanks and healers. In addition to that, players still have to group up with other players to complete trifectas, so when it counts companions can't even be used for challenges such as trifectas.

So what negatives does stronger companions really bring to the table other than giving players more freedom to play how they want?

I never group up anyway (anymore), so I'm not really one to oppose that viewpoint. I just don't think it's what they had in mind with regard to companions. Also, I don't think newer players would really appreciate companions doing more damage than them, and it would dissuade them from learning how to get better.

I mean, if you want to argue for more damage, sure, I can see companions doing say, 15-20K damage, maybe, but never 40K. This would be good for DPS companions to accompany a tank player, for example.

For me, however, I just wish companion tanks wouldn't constantly die to AOEs.
  • King_Jude
    King_Jude
    ✭✭✭
    I've brought some friends into the game, And on the contrary they had wished that their companions were a lot stronger. Also if a player didn't want their companions to be stronger than them they can gear it down so it can be weaker instead of optimizing it to be as strong as it can be. The newer players companion wouldn't be hitting 40K DPS fresh out the gate, as they would have to gear up the companion effectively. Also if they felt like they're comparing was too strong they can simply just put it away or use a weaker companion.

I'm not saying that a companion should do 40K DPS The moment you unlock it. You still have to unlock all the necessary skills and collect all the necessary gear.

You say you can see companions doing 15 to 20K DPS but that's what they do now if you fully max it out.

Companion tanks are simply far too weak to be any good tanks but if they had companion gear sets a customer tune to the type of sets that players could obtain You would essentially be able to create better stronger tank companions.
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Companions are not find, majority of players don't use them as they don't find them useful.

Literally 9 out of every 10 players I see out in the world have companions following them, and I spend time in every zone. I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that "majority of players don't use them, but it's wrong. Almost everyone uses companions.
  • King_Jude
    King_Jude
    ✭✭✭
    Molydeus wrote: »
    Companions are not find, majority of players don't use them as they don't find them useful.

Literally 9 out of every 10 players I see out in the world have companions following them, and I spend time in every zone. I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that "majority of players don't use them, but it's wrong. Almost everyone uses companions.

Literally nine out of 10 of those players are most likely underleveled. Playing on a low level versus a character that's already reached CP change the whole dynamic now wouldn't it?
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Molydeus wrote: »

Literally nine out of 10 of those players are most likely underleveled. Playing on a low level versus a character that's already reached CP change the whole dynamic now wouldn't it?

You'd be wrong again. Most of the players I see out in the world who have companions following them, have a CP count.
  • King_Jude
    King_Jude
    ✭✭✭
    Well what you and what I see are just two different view points. It doesn't necessarily mean that any of us are wrong however... Is more common for me to see players without their companions. It's also more common for me to hear players testimonials about how they feel companions are useless. All of honest to be more common amongst the players who actually have great DPS.
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well what you and what I see are just two different view points. It doesn't necessarily mean that any of us are wrong however... Is more common for me to see players without their companions. It's also more common for me to hear players testimonials about how they feel companions are useless. All of honest to be more common amongst the players who actually have great DPS.

So you're basing your claim that "majority of players don't use them" on a tiny demographic of upper tier dps players? :#

That's like claiming "majority of people own yachts" when you're using millionaires as your sample base. :D
  • King_Jude
    King_Jude
    ✭✭✭
    I have friends That use them, I have friends that don't use them. When I'm out and about killing world bosses or killing Dove bosses or roaming around the map how often see more players by themselves rather than those players running around with their companions. If I'm hanging around in town I see more players hanging around by themselves rather than having their companions lingering closely behind them. I do see players use their companions but I see far more players not using them.

That's what I'm saying.
  • King_Jude
    King_Jude
    ✭✭✭
    I'll add make them have unique statlines and abilities instead of just watered down version of a player's class.

Like for instance in terms of statlines. Bastian has the most HP like 40k at base instead of the standard 30k and Ember has the highest crit chance like 25% at base.

That being said, please for the love of god add a stat screen for them.

Also, I disagree with the choosing their likes and dislikes. They're supposed their own character you know.

A stat screen would be great.

I'm not saying you choose their likes and dislikes for the current companions you earn through the game. I'm strictly speaking on a companion you could create through the crown store that you design to make your very own.
  • King_Jude
    King_Jude
    ✭✭✭
    tim77 wrote: »
    100% agree on OP.
    you pretty much listed all my pain points for them and suggested a good solution.

We can only hope, the only way is if the post gains motion. Lol
  • King_Jude
    King_Jude
    ✭✭✭
    tim77 wrote: »
    100% agree on OP.

We can only hope, the only way is if the post gains motion. Lol
  • King_Jude
    King_Jude
    ✭✭✭
    Giraffon wrote: »

Agreed, also if they actually did their mount taunts when you do yours would be nice.
  • King_Jude
    King_Jude
    ✭✭✭
    Icyfire369 wrote: »
    Treeshka wrote: »

Players do this already as soon as you want to play your own way. "Running ahead and killing mobs while the rest of us are looting? Kick."

Part of the reason I run dungeons solo and offline. So I can RP in peace with my companion and pets.

This is absolute facts, especially if your speed running a dungeon for gear farming, players get upset and want to kick you. Lol
  • King_Jude
    King_Jude
    ✭✭✭
    Cireous wrote: »
    All of those things, plus:
    • Romance! :love:

I agree with this, We would definitely be able to marry our companions and give them a ring of mara boosting our xp rate all the time!
  • King_Jude
    King_Jude
    ✭✭✭

See my issue with this argument is that if players aren't given the incentive to work on their dps or get replaced, then that's enabling players to continue to yield trash dps while thinking they're contributing to a team. So that would motivate players to actually work on their dps if they want to continue to main a dps instead of trying another role. I don't think it's fair to continue to keep getting paired with dps with such low burn you fall asleep in dungeons because it's going so slow. lol There should be an alternative, also 40k dps isn't even close to the highest on the 3m target dummy anymore, that's pushing 70k now. 40k is definitely do-able when you look at it from that standpoint.