Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Your Tales Pet Peeve

• dale_forrestb16_ESO
    I have 2, 1. I don't find it very fun and 2. the games take too long. Maybe 1 because of 2?

• loosej
    loosej
    ✭✭✭✭
    All three are about time for me:
    1. Turn timers too long (and players abusing it). Somebody playing ranked rubedite has no excuse to need 90 seconds to think about their first moves, apart from annoying their opponents into a concession. Please start the timers at 15/20 seconds and increase them over time, especially for ranked.
    2. Games can last for 45 minutes if your opponent wants to annoy you enough. Some players basically want you to sit back and enjoy the show while they are pleasuring themselves on the internet... Please consider a chess-like mechanic where both players have a clock with a total of 15 minutes. If your 15 minutes run out but your opponent still has time left, you either lose the game or forfeit all your following hands while your opponent keeps playing (highest score wins in that case).
    3. Penalty for conceding too high. Sometimes you just know it's a lost game. Please reduce the minimum time you need to play from 10 minutes to maybe 5 or even less. Or make it "5 minutes or 5 hands played", for those games where both players keep a good pace. Additionally, since there is a mechanic at play that takes the game's time into account, it would be nice if we could have a timer built into the interface and not have to rely on yet another addon for this.

Other than that, I think the game is very well designed. But playing AI is not enjoyable because they are idiots, and playing humans is (often) not enjoyable because there are game mechanics that allow them to act like snips.
  • WhisperLFE
    WhisperLFE
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, my main pet peeve is just that some people take too long.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin , can we please get an update as to when rediculously overpowered game winning from turn one cards such as Pounce & Profit/Grand Larceny will receive additional balance changes?
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin , can we please get an update as to when rediculously overpowered game winning from turn one cards such as Pounce & Profit/Grand Larceny will receive additional balance changes?

I'd like to just see what the all time win percentages are for going first vs going second.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Neoauspex wrote: »

I'd like to just see what the all time win percentages are for going first vs going second.

There probably should be more balance with respect to first/second player. I can be beat when I go first, but I go into the game feeling like I already won. Go second means just picking patrons that maximize the chances of getting lucky with my first tavern pickup and I do get blown out from time to time for no other reason than the opponent getting the first crack at a power card.
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My biggest pet peeve is the starting factions, Pellin and Red Eagle, because their starter cards only give 1 power rather than giving a gold.

This creates a number of bad outcome games where one doesn't get to buy a card presented to them on the first turn because they drew a power card.

This just isn't a fun variance and it is somewhat exploitable like when counerpicking Rajinn with the hopes of picking up a Pounce/Grand that the opponent failed to access due to drawing a power generator rather than a coin. These starter cards also don't get to contribute to later game combos because it is so beneficial to get rid of them in exchange for writ of coins. People shouldn't want to be ditching their synergy cards - not great design.

Please just make all of the starter cards give one coin.

@ZOS_Kevin , I just wanted to follow up on this idea. Is there any chance that designers would consider changing War Song and Fortify to prevent players from getting scumbagged on their first turn with a 50% chance of those power generators showing up for what can essentially be a game loss there on the spot?
    Don't tank

• Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my biggest pet peeve with tribute is that your forced to play pvp matches to get all the card upgrades lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have this particular card deck I don’t really care for, probably shouldn’t say which one since I’m still playing the ranked games to try to get one more rubedite trophy.

I really hate it when my opponent picks this patron, then doesn’t pick up the cards in the tavern and it completely fills up with them. I guess he just picked it so he could use the patron if he needed to but I’m not spending gold to clean up.

It’s happened quite a few times now.

Ten quid says you're talking about Psijic.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rbfrgsp wrote: »
    I have this particular card deck I don’t really care for, probably shouldn’t say which one since I’m still playing the ranked games to try to get one more rubedite trophy.

I really hate it when my opponent picks this patron, then doesn’t pick up the cards in the tavern and it completely fills up with them. I guess he just picked it so he could use the patron if he needed to but I’m not spending gold to clean up.

Red Eagle does that, too.
    PCNA
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    rbfrgsp wrote: »

Red Eagle does that, too.

Red Eagle was my first thought as well.

PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps it's the matchmaker but I have more and more trouble getting the red eagle cards myself these days. It used to be an easy to get them for myself and I had many win streaks from people ignoring them. Nowadays people realize how much Red Eagle facilitates comboing and they get snatched up. I started picking it less often because of that LOL. I still get away with Psijic because people ignore everything except Dreaming Cove.

Edited by spartaxoxo on December 24, 2022 11:06PM
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The pet peeve of not only being punished by a huge score loss (relative to score gains) when conceding a game that has painfully dragged on, but then hitting the 10 minute cooldown quitter penalty, and then not getting a game from the que for another 5 minutes afterward.

No surprise that those who aren't dedicated to card games don't tolerate TOT. For those of us who are, the ladder and matchmaking system could be much friendlier.
    Don't tank

• WhisperLFE
    WhisperLFE
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that the concede penalty is a pain and seemingly unnecessary; you're already losing points/ranking, why the need for a timer as well? At least set the threshold for the timer higher than it is now.

I also really, really wish they had a version of TOT with a much shorter turn timer. Sort of like speed chess.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My biggest pet peeve is the starting factions, Pellin and Red Eagle, because their starter cards only give 1 power rather than giving a gold.

This creates a number of bad outcome games where one doesn't get to buy a card presented to them on the first turn because they drew a power card.

This just isn't a fun variance and it is somewhat exploitable like when counerpicking Rajinn with the hopes of picking up a Pounce/Grand that the opponent failed to access due to drawing a power generator rather than a coin. These starter cards also don't get to contribute to later game combos because it is so beneficial to get rid of them in exchange for writ of coins. People shouldn't want to be ditching their synergy cards - not great design.

Please just make all of the starter cards give one coin.

I actually like the 1-Power starter cards, especially when Hunding or Red Eagle have been chosen-- especially Hunding-- since you can spend 2 Power to get another coin or draw another card (and hopefully get another coin). It can seem like a waste to spend 2 Power to get another coin, but if you're playing NPCs (who don't seem to be smart enough to use the Hunding patron) it's nice to keep getting that extra coin each subsequent turn.

Anyway, other players have mentioned that you can convert those 1-Power starter cards into 2-Gold cards if you wish. I prefer to keep them as-is, but I do understand that the extra coins can be helpful.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My biggest peeve this far is that even the introduction match is mostly incomprehensible for a player with normal intelligence but no previous interest and experience at all of deck building card game genre. Too bad.
    (Just passing by this section of forums.)
  • Lunatearz
    Lunatearz
    ✭✭
    ppl that solely play for the mats and not the game.... they tend to play in such a way that its not even fun to play
    Edited by Lunatearz on December 27, 2022 6:47PM
  • Lunatearz
    Lunatearz
    ✭✭
    ugh never mind i think i need my bed lol
    Edited by Lunatearz on December 27, 2022 7:27PM
  • birdmann1230
    1) people who only use the crow deck (or orgnum but that’s rarer) because it’s easy.

2) people who’s only goal is to turn the patrons instead of playing the game. This is especially difficult with the more conditional patrons.

3) the large point loss in rank for losing, especially when I’m playing well and the match is even but the opponent stacks patron turns to win in less than 20 points.