The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

dungeons are important...

Sparxlost
Sparxlost
✭✭✭
aside from undaunted stuff i feel like the push for players to complete dungeons in eso as a quest is practically non-existent..
so what i would do is add unique npcs to every zone that seek you out once you are part of undaunted that inform you of the existence of dungeons and will pay you to complete them for the first time... this on top of doing the actual dungeon quests should suffice..

assuming the player had completed the dungeons but not yet joined undaunted then the messenger will come to them in the zone to deliver the reward as thanks for doing it..

this isnt as important to other people but i definitely dont feel the drive as a new character to go out and conquer dungeons from the game its just reach level 10, tp in, then do some random quest that there was little to no set-up for....
Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 18, 2022 7:14PM
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We have the Undaunted Enclave for that specific role. When you join the guild they tell you about newly discovered dungeons and challenge you to best them. It's your system but all neatly wrapped up in a bow in a central location.
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No thanks hate having NPC's run up to you.

That and what your saying already kinda exists members of the undaunted are in taverns in zones, you talk to them they tell you about a near by dungeon for you to visit if you do and return they send you on your way to the undaunted enclave to join the guild.

The dungeon quest in Volenfell does tie into a bunch of quests you find in the delves in the Alik'r desert beforehand, can't recall any others.

There is a very simple reason that I don't run the quests again on alts, its a pain to get a group to do the quests and the skill point offered as a reward for doing each of the dungeon quests is no longer as needed for players builds with how many skill points you can acquire from other sources in game.
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sparxlost wrote: »
    aside from undaunted stuff i feel like the push for players to complete dungeons in eso as a quest is practically non-existent..
    so what i would do is add unique npcs to every zone that seek you out once you are part of undaunted that inform you of the existence of dungeons and will pay you to complete them for the first time... this on top of doing the actual dungeon quests should suffice..

assuming the player had completed the dungeons but not yet joined undaunted then the messenger will come to them in the zone to deliver the reward as thanks for doing it..

this isnt as important to other people but i definitely dont feel the drive as a new character to go out and conquer dungeons from the game its just reach level 10, tp in, then do some random quest that there was little to no set-up for....

If you think your being push to do dungeons, then maybe fantasy rpg games are not for you.

Dungeons are the lore, the trope of fantasy games.

Going in a den full of adventure, thats the romance of fantasy games.
  • joergino
    joergino
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, dungeons are not important at all. Why would they be? What for? Unless you need the skill point for the quest or unless they provide gear that for some reason is needed, they can be ignored completely. In a way, they aren't even really a part of the game.
  • endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    My favourite part of the game by far dungeons, keep pumping them dlc dungeons out please zos 😁
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    still remember wanting to complete morrowind zone 100% and a npc gives me a final quest. i go see and it's the hof trial.
    I felt so sad, its not even funny.

Haven't completed morrowind yet. thanks.

So no. Keep that endgame content away from ppl that don't queue for it. having all good rewards be for no death runs makes it even worse in my eyes. i'll never have the necro skin and it sucks.
    Edited by francesinhalover on December 13, 2022 1:49PM
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • Grega
    Grega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    still remember wanting to complete morrowind zone 100% and a npc gives me a final quest. i go see and it's the hof trial.

So no. Keep that endgame content away from ppl that don't queue for it. having all good rewards be for no death runs makes it even worse in my eyes. i'll never have the necro skin and it sucks.

You can turn in the quest inside HOF lobby without actually doing the HOF just FYI. That completes the zone. The actual HOF completion quest is a separate quest that unlocks after you turn in that quest, and is a repeatable quest, so it doesn’t affect your zone completion, making “endgame” quest not a factor in zone completion.
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't do group dungeons for real money, let alone in-game money. ;)
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I do wish it were clearer that you don’t actually have to do the trial. For a long time I was in the same boat until I realized you can just walk in and turn it in then leave.

Never say never. We REALLY need Challenger rewards back, right now there’s no point in doing most Challengers and doing Challengers is an important part of progression. Those rewards, along with vet trial completion skins, are what got me into pve endgame. For a long time I thought I’d never get the rewards I sought but I kept progressing anyway and it brought me immense joy to finally have it all pay off. Even if you really don’t like dungeons and never will, it’s possible to pay for a carry run.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As other people have said this system already exists in the Undaunted Enclaves. You first meet the Undaunted in a tavern (most players first encounter with them will likely be in the starter cities) and they'll send you to one of the early dungeons, then once you've completed it they send you to the Enclave and from there you can pick up quests which send you to the other dungeons. There's also Undaunted members who will tell you about dungeons and mark them on your map without giving you a quest.

Also I don't think there's a shortage of players doing dungeons in this game. I don't do the quests but that's because I want to take my time with them, not only listening to the NPCs but reading notes and books, asking optional questions etc. and I'm not comfortable doing that if I feel like I'm holding the group up. (Usually even if people say they'll wait for you to do the quest they mean they'll give you a few seconds to click through the dialogue to progress it before rushing on to the next boss, not actually read/listen to all of it.)

But whenever I've queued up to do dungeons I've gotten a group reasonably quickly (except when the queue is broken) and there's usually people in my guilds willing to form a group.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • corrosivechains
    corrosivechains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, ALL aspects of the game are important. Overland, Dungeons, Trials, Story Instances, Arenas, Cyrodil PvP, Market Economy....all of these go hand in hand and all effect each other in ways some may not understand. All playstyles are valid and live in a symbiosis.
    "Could you post me a link to the official MMO rule book please." - clayandaudrey_ESO
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As you noted and others have said there are already features that advertise and promote dungeons. If people don't want to do them, tossing gold at them won't work. ZOS puts a little lore in their dungeons but if too much story was there the people who balk at doing group content (a sizeable group, btw) would riot. They need to look at what pulls players towards dungeons and what pushes them away. I'm sure they have a lot of internal data that can give the rough shape of that.

For those who don't know, when the game first launched the zones were leveled like traditional MMOs and so were the dungeons. That's why places like Fungal Grotto 1 have such simple mechanics. It was like having stepping stones from easier to more challenging. But nothing tells player the order of easiest mechanics to hardest anymore unless they search around for guides outside of the game. Nor is there an extended combat tutorial, just real basics like blocking.

Many people also don't know the fundamentals of dungeon running and nothing in game gives them an idea of what to do or a chance to practice it before starting like some games do. That would still be OK when other players are ready to teach and offer patience, but then I've seen pug groups who just fly through base game dungeons for speed runs leaving less experienced players to miss entire boss fight and even die to mob stirred by the others. Plus for normal base game dungeons the trinity is often irrelevant when well-geared high CP player-characters are involved making practice and learning less effective.

Yet even if everything I mentioned improved, that doesn't:
    • Cure social/group activity anxiety and stress
    • Change the fact that failure is needed to learn but is stigmatized
    • Make the dungeons more connected to the stories of a zone, instead being tangential at best

Those who already really want to do dungeons have enough things to pull them into it in-game (like the Undaunted quests). At most I can see getting a pop-up quest or a single NPC telling you to go visit the Undaunted Enclave if a player doesn't start ESO in the original base game zones. And such eager people would check YT and Reddit and such for dungeon guides anyway.

Those who are unsure or averse to dungeons? That's a whole different ball-game...

Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • SimonThesis
    SimonThesis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dungeons are important NOT. We already have more than enough, Id much prefer only 2 a year.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grega wrote: »

You can turn in the quest inside HOF lobby without actually doing the HOF just FYI. That completes the zone. The actual HOF completion quest is a separate quest that unlocks after you turn in that quest, and is a repeatable quest, so it doesn’t affect your zone completion, making “endgame” quest not a factor in zone completion.

I don't know if I knew that. I'll have to go see whether that quest is done or not on my main; it's been so long, I have no idea. Thank you for the tip, regardless!
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Kingsindarkness
    Kingsindarkness
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So...Matt didn't mention a Trial specifically....I wonder if all this newfound player happiness will be there if next Chapter there isn't one?

Edited by Kingsindarkness on December 13, 2022 11:59PM
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So...Matt didn't mention a Trial specifically....I wonder if all this newfound player happiness will be there if next Chapter there isn't one?

My guess is that there would still be one. Summerset, Vvardenfell, and CWC all have Trials. Would be interesting to see the reaction to not having one, though. 4 less sets to add but less content to complete.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Kingsindarkness
    Kingsindarkness
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »

My guess is that there would still be one. Summerset, Vvardenfell, and CWC all have Trials. Would be interesting to see the reaction to not having one, though. 4 less sets to add but less content to complete.

I mean...no new Trial and the much-asked-for feature could be Story Mode Dungeons or PVE Cyrodil...that would kind of deflate the victory lap content creators and Vet end game players are taking the past couple days.

All I'm saying is anything is possible.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    joergino wrote: »
    No, dungeons are not important at all. Why would they be? What for? Unless you need the skill point for the quest or unless they provide gear that for some reason is needed, they can be ignored completely. In a way, they aren't even really a part of the game.
    They're definitely part of the game, for many of us. How boring the game would be if it had no dungeons. There's some great scenery in the dungeons also.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • FluffyBird
    FluffyBird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't feel the drive to do dungeons, adding NPC to pester you until you do them, will only make you dislike them more.
    Also, current system is extremely unfriendly to those wishing to do dungeon for story, so I think that this aspect should be fixed first, before promoting dungeon quests.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My favourite part of the game by far dungeons, keep pumping them dlc dungeons out please zos 😁

This how I feel. I guess it wouldn't hurt if Nov was near entrance to undaunted dungeons saying maybe you should pick up quest from undaunted enclave while taking a team.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post