The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO frequently does not shut down properly

jle30303
jle30303
✭✭✭✭✭
System: Windows 10, with latest updates.

Problem: When logging out of ESO, it sometimes seems to hang halfway through, leaving me with either a blank screen, or a still picture from the game. Sometimes Ctrl-Alt-Delete allows me to bring up Task Manager and force-quit ESO (which is "Not Responding"), a couple of times even that has not been possible and I've had to hit the actual computer reboot button.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on December 6, 2022 10:19PM
  • adirondack
    adirondack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open another desktop (win + tab) and start your task manger there. That way you avoid the BSOO (black screen of oblivion) and don’t have to restart your computer.
    Ray
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings!

This thread has been moved to a more appropriate section for visibility.

Thank you for your understanding,
    -Greg-
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @jle30303

The thread linked below has some troubleshooting you can start with to troubleshoot this crashing issue.

ESO stops working, have to use task manager to close
    Staff Post
  • FluffyReachWitch
    FluffyReachWitch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For crashes that prevent accessing the task manager, one method I've used is to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and then sign out of Windows from the list of options it brings up. That forces the misbehaving program to close, and then you can just log back in. It isn't as efficient as the task manager but it's faster than having to do a full reboot.
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed. My point though is that this is an ESO thing, it doesn't happen with other programs, it should be up to ESO to investigate and fix the issue of why ESO isn't shutting down properly when I try to sign out of it.
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might be totally unrelated, but eso crashes for me every other time I switch characters. Sigh.
    Check out the ReShade I made: Crispy Sharpness
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might be totally unrelated, but eso crashes for me every other time I switch characters. Sigh.

Me too. I have 5 playing characters and some bank-characters. When I have to switch between them I OFTEN crash. Often, very often, too much. Pls do something !
    Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have this issue 50% of the time exiting the game... sits there forever on a black screen and have to end task.. Also the icon in the system tray still do stay there forever until a mouse over!
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As this thread is now over 6 months old, we have decided to close the thread. If you still need assistance, please go ahead and start a new thread in PC Support.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.