Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PVP community please respond

• MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Difficult to play
    I play on PSNA server. I play on a PS5 wired with Fiber Optic internet. I have 1GB speed both upload and download. I have little to no issues during mornings and when it is usually no more than 24v24 as long as no ball groups run around using pulse.

I start to run into some performance issues as soon as more than one player start using pulse. As more players show up, anything usually where it is more than 50 players I also run into performance issues. Once there is close to 100 players in an area or when there are two ball groups running around using pulse the game gets close to being unplayable.

The hammer makes the game unplayable as well due to it causing the player base in PVP to go towards it impacting server performance.

There are times against player where the game becomes unplayable. I believe it is due to those players lower internet speed that impacts the server performance which impact the performance of other players around that player. That player is able to play as if everything is normal for them because they are use to such bad performance, but player like myself that don't see that much of a performance drop get annoyed, frustrated and feel as if that player has cheated.

Playing MMO games I do understand that there cannot be a 100% perfect performance of the server. Every MMO game I've played where there are thousands of players playing the game, there will be some performance issues.

First, in PVP the hammer needs to go, it causes to much issues to the server. Secondly, the game should require players have at minimum 10gb from their ISP to play the game. This way lower speeds don't slow the server down and impact other players. Third, the base code still needs to be fixed to help improve performance, hopefully 2022 code review has given the development team the information needed to fix the code in 2023.

I am hoping that after the code update is done that there is additional tweaks in PVP that impact the role selected to improve the experience when a player select a specific role. For instance, Combat Spirit reductions/buffs should be based on the role the player has selected.

On console, using anything other than a controller to get a competitive advantage when you do not have any disabilities is cheating. Unfortunately there is anything that can be done for those that do this. Sony tried to resolve this by requiring a PS5 controller to play PS5 games. Hopefully this continues to ensure players don't use cheat boxes to get the advantage.
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xFocused wrote: »
    Turtle_Bot wrote: »
    As soon as a ball group logs on, the game just dies. Ping spikes to 999+ (it spikes to over 30k ms according to my ping tracker) and the game becomes a power point slide show before it just stops working all together and crashes to desktop or boots me from the server.

Even outside of primetime ball groups still have this effect on the game, especially on PC EU where we don't even have the new hardware to help us.

As for when ball groups are not online, it depends on when you are playing. During prime time is horrible for me (borderline unplayable), but outside of primetime it depends on population and fluctuates between difficult to play and borderline playable, but during the times it is playable, there's almost no-one online to actually get a fight.

I don't know what happened between U36 launch and now (it's only gotten worse after the fixes to the initial U36 issues), but something went horribly wrong with the implementation of U36 and the fixes for this update and it definitely needs to be urgently looked into and fixed because performance is currently among the worst I have ever seen it get.

Can't agree with this one. I've said this in many many posts before but ball groups aren't causing the entire server to lag. If I'm running solo in a field and can't bar swap, get stuck in combat, bluescreen or just disconnect then how would that be the fault of a ball group? Sure, they do cause SOME lag but they absolutely aren't the sole reason there's all these glitches, lag, etc...

Well than You've been wrong many times because even current combat lead designer Brian Wheeler said in one of the ESO live streams when he was still just PvP lead designer that large groups of people fighting in one place will cause the lag for whole Cyrodill. it's largely connected to the fact how calculations for Cyrodill are designed on a server side. Even when You are in some quiet, empty place in Cyrodill You will still lag if there is a large battle happening on the other side of the map.
    Edited by axi on December 6, 2022 11:53AM
  • BazOfWar
    BazOfWar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Difficult to play
    I only play on Ravenswatch and although even at peak time the performance drops considerably it is still possible to play albeit difficult.

I can't comment on Grayhost or any other proc servers but I can imagine they are intolerable at peak time.
  • esogamer2021
    esogamer2021
    ✭✭✭
    It’s nice to see that myself and my PVP guild are not Alone with the issues that we face nightly. I’ve gone from 100 active PVP members down to the last 25 or so because they don’t have the patience to play anymore which is very sad , as I said this isn’t a hate on the game but an open honest opinion of how it currently is , I don’t know if I can be optimistic anymore with the way the game is playing out but maybe just maybe they will fix it 🤞
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's hard for me to answer this. At times, FPS drops severely, usually when an AD ball group is around. Sounds cuts in and out and skills won't fire. In that case, it's definitely not playable.

Other times, it's hard to play...lag, rubber banding, etc. Not impossible...just hard/

So for me, it's both, depending on the night.
  • Pinja
    Pinja
    ✭✭✭✭
    Playable
    One big thing about pvp performance/lag is that its based on population. I play Battlegrounds with smooth gameplay a majority of the time. Earlier this spring I main Cyrodiil campaigned Blackreach (Xbox-NA) and got better ap rewards. It was near flawless combat unless it gets zerged out pass 2 bars each alliance. I also play on a higher end system (Series X,) which helps against crashes and client rendering bugs.
    Pinja for Dual Wands.
    Pinja's three server solutions:
  • wazzz56
    wazzz56
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unplayable
    I play ps5 NA and play solo most of the time, I pick and choose where to find action and try and avoid the giant zerg fights (aside from leeching a keep tic or 2) ...all that being said in gh.......I can barely get skills to fire off or when they do the delay is silly. .but the other campaigns have little action or are zerged down by ad 24/7 so I am limited to gh... is hard to convince myself that its fun anymore
    GM Tig Ole Critties ps5 NA small scale PvP guild

"After a hard week of farming, or a long night of being nagged by your wife, there is nothing better than going out for a bit of a fish."
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Difficult to play
    Thing is I know it's not my connection because I have zero performance issues on any other game or app. In point of fact all the other games I play with an online multiplayer component work fantastic, zero lag. For reference I'm on a wired 500mb connection with router prioritization.
    Edited by boi_anachronism_ on December 7, 2022 10:35PM
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Difficult to play
    axi wrote: »
    axi wrote: »
    You do realise that tank meta is usually an outcome of increase in overall dmg? If everyone starts to do more dmg than simpliest solution to that is just getting more tanky.
    There's a lot more nuance than that. I was gonna explain beyond "meta defense is more op than meta offense" but decided it would be a waste of time and better to agree to disagree. Enjoy your playstyle and carry on.

I know there is more factors affecting meta shifts but general rule of the tumb goes as simple as I wrote it. The more dmg ZoS will bring into the game the more people will try to build tanky to counter those damage. I've seen You saying in one of the other threads that nb dmg currently is fine because it helps to counter tank meta but the thing is many people build as tanky as they do to avoid nukes and ganks from nightblades in particular after the class got many dmg buffs so You can say current nb dmg is not countering tank meta it's one of the reasons tank meta exists atm.

1. There will always and have always been bomber builds.

3. The current meta is aided significantly by u35s combat changes.

3. The issue with nbs that everyone keeps harping on is simply the best example of why pvp and pve need to be balanced separately.

I've said it before on other threads and I will say it again. By design nb is a stealth/burst class. Stealth is great in pvp but useless in pve. In pve they have been trailing behind other classes by a wide margin for a long time, partly as a result of the massive nerfs going back to eswyer, many of which were warranted but since it's zos it went way overboard. Sorcs were hitting 120k while blades struggled to hit 95k at the high end. The issue is this: to buff nb for pve so it is viable means you buff damage because buffing stealth would do nothing. So now you have this marvelous seesaw effect where they are either op in pvp and good in pve or they are pretty good in pvp but dumpster in pve.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Playable
    I feel for everyone experiencing major lag issues, as I’ve been in the same boat in the past. However, ever since I dumped all of my addons and run the game completely vanilla, I’ve had almost no lag. In fact, last night on PC/NA/GH was the first time in the last 2 weeks that I’ve noticed significant lag, and that was at a giant 3-way battle at Bleaks with 3 AD groups, at least 1 EP group plus randos, and at least 1 DC group plus randos, all fighting over the hammer. I rarely ever see anyone complain in zone about the lag, although TBF that could just be because they’re so resigned to it they no longer complain.

Long story short, if you’re experiencing game-breaking lag on PC, try it without addons. It made a huge difference for me.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pvp is not just Cyrodiil, battlegrounds don't have performance problems.
    from a balance pov, some work and interest is needed but not that bad
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • fakingfocused
    fakingfocused
    ✭✭✭
    Unplayable
    Got excited for deathmatch weekend for a quick second. Until I started playing that is this is the absolute worst I've seen it. Damage doesn't register skills not firing. Just awful. It's sad. I want this game to work. I miss it. I hope they can turn this around soon. It's such a great game just needs to iron out the performance issues.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got excited for deathmatch weekend for a quick second. Until I started playing that is this is the absolute worst I've seen it. Damage doesn't register skills not firing. Just awful. It's sad. I want this game to work. I miss it. I hope they can turn this around soon. It's such a great game just needs to iron out the performance issues.

what performance issues in bg? i played in prime time and no problems
    -
    Edited by Sergykid on December 9, 2022 7:22PM
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • fakingfocused
    fakingfocused
    ✭✭✭
    Unplayable
    Sergykid wrote: »

-

Yea thats what I thought. It seems that some people have absolutely no problems at all. I almost don't know where to begin. Lately I have this bug where my execute hits like a wet noodle or wont fire at all attempt after attempt. My skills usually lock when any player is near death, including ultimates without fail. Skills never regularly work in general. Gap closers, executes, backlash, jabs even heals. I have defense in the form of 2 separate heals and (supposed to be high maneuverability) but i just get slowed down (then outside bgs back to flying around) my character after so many kiills will just eruopt and die no incoming indications not time to react just litteraly evaported. I play high pressure so timing is everything. I'm build for damage, but you wouldn't know it the way it doesn't register. And then every once in a while performance comes back and it's like a small glimpse of how it used to/should be. Everything is getting nuked I'm playing really well. Then shortly after right back to lag, skill delays, character immensly slowed, skills not even working or when they do they are very slow especially when opponents have a shred of health. I've adapted over the years to deal with certain issues, but this keeps raising the bar in the wrong direction. More and more glitches that need to be overcome. And I'm only saying it because of recent frustration...I really love this game, and really just hope to see it get back on track.
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never been a fan of open world pvp... I spend most of my in-game time in Battlegrounds. Once in a while, I get a match where nobody dies because healing is through the roof, but it's certainly better than it was 2 patches ago. Most of the matches feel competitive and fast-paced -- with no noticeable lag.
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unplayable

-

Yea thats what I thought. It seems that some people have absolutely no problems at all. I almost don't know where to begin. Lately I have this bug where my execute hits like a wet noodle or wont fire at all attempt after attempt. My skills usually lock when any player is near death, including ultimates without fail. Skills never regularly work in general. Gap closers, executes, backlash, jabs even heals. I have defense in the form of 2 separate heals and (supposed to be high maneuverability) but i just get slowed down (then outside bgs back to flying around) my character after so many kiills will just eruopt and die no incoming indications not time to react just litteraly evaported. I play high pressure so timing is everything. I'm build for damage, but you wouldn't know it the way it doesn't register. And then every once in a while performance comes back and it's like a small glimpse of how it used to/should be. Everything is getting nuked I'm playing really well. Then shortly after right back to lag, skill delays, character immensly slowed, skills not even working or when they do they are very slow especially when opponents have a shred of health. I've adapted over the years to deal with certain issues, but this keeps raising the bar in the wrong direction. More and more glitches that need to be overcome. And I'm only saying it because of recent frustration...I really love this game, and really just hope to see it get back on track.

Execute especially for me. I hit 6k with whirling at 50% but once at 20% or below my whirling hits for 2k, then 1k... bloodthirsty too... makes no sense.
    Was just fighting someone had him at 5% and stunned. Skills locked up, lag froze frames then he was at full health on the other side of me.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Difficult to play

-

Execute especially for me. I hit 6k with whirling at 50% but once at 20% or below my whirling hits for 2k, then 1k... bloodthirsty too... makes no sense.
    Was just fighting someone had him at 5% and stunned. Skills locked up, lag froze frames then he was at full health on the other side of me.

I have an opinion about these players but it isnt popular. But it is the same small number of players and we generally know who they are.
    You get them to the brink of death and suddenly you miss everything, as if they are not actually in the place you think, or they seem to be, Or skills simply no longer work and you die. When you check the recap you see name of people who were nowhere around you.

yep, right there with you
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unplayable
    blktauna wrote: »

-

I have an opinion about these players but it isnt popular. But it is the same small number of players and we generally know who they are.
    You get them to the brink of death and suddenly you miss everything, as if they are not actually in the place you think, or they seem to be, Or skills simply no longer work and you die. When you check the recap you see name of people who were nowhere around you.

yep, right there with you

Well i didn't die so idk if other players were near. But this happens often. Build up a DK combo and leap, go to use charged whip to finish and whip doesn't work..it casts but doesn't animate. Multiple times. Then they pop up to full health instantly.
    I still don't understand why my execute damage goes down with their health going down.
    2x bloodthirsty and I'm hitting 1k crits with whirling at <25% health?? Yeah something is bugged.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Difficult to play
    At moment BGs are absolutely fine performance wise (EU here): zero lag. Unfortunately the fights are painful due to groups being unbalanced: why on hearth an average player like me is in the same mmr as regular streamers?!?!?! Add FotM NoobDen tanky builds and there’s the fun for you!

Cyro has been strangely playable and I’ve had quite a few great battles! No idea how
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on December 10, 2022 9:35AM
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the fights are painful due to groups being unbalanced: why on hearth an average player like me is in the same mmr as regular streamers?!?!?! Add FotM NoobDen tanky builds and there’s the fun for you! Cyro has been strangely playable and I’ve had quite a few great battles! No idea how
    This PvP is still pretty decent in Cyro and BGs when there are roughly even numbers of randoms on both sides, no premades or ball groups or whatever, and teams play to win the objective (not passive-aggressively stall it out). The game is too unbalanced now to be throwing organized tryhards in the same arena as disorganized casuals, at all, ever.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • cuddles_with_wroble
    Unplayable
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    I feel like a jerk ruining your poll results because I hear the horror stories all the time and I do hope this post gets lots of attention so that your experience can be better. Xbox NA may be in the best state... I play ravenwatch, duel in cities, bg, and blackreach and all of these work fine. Blackreach does get laggy and "difficult" to play at a certain threshold of population/zerg. And I went to grey host once a long time ago and will never go back.

I think the game would operate better if those people playing in grey host saying it's completely unplayable would go to blackreach or ravenwatch instead. And I'm aware that it isn't right for players to have to resort to this... But I don't see the benefit of standing on that moral high ground being miserable.

You basically said “ games fine if you close your eyes and play in the campaign that has no players and no build variety in it!”
  • cuddles_with_wroble
    Unplayable
    Truthfully there isn’t much that needs to be said that hasn’t already been said for years. Class balance is awful, build variety is gone, mythics are pay to win at this point, most play styles are dead outside of the few meta setups, performance is unbearable, bg que times are 45 min to an hour for alot of us. Update 35’s core combat changes were terrible and unliked by everyone and they still doubled down in update 36, class identity has been stripped from most class making stam and mag versions the same class that use the same skills (esp in pve). All in all the game is a tragic joke of unplayable garbage unless your a quester or a roleplayer.
  • miteba
    miteba
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is sad to return here (forum), after idk maybe 2 years or so, to update info about PvP, and decide if i finally should come back to Tamriel, or not, AND read that the same issues that made me go away were still not resolved at all.
    Still love and miss ESO but... what a waste!
  • Silversmith
    Silversmith
    ✭✭✭
    Unplayable
    PvP balance doesn't exist and there are other mmorpgs that have way better PvP balance than ESO. The only thing ESO PvP has is troll tank builds that infuriate your enemies.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Difficult to play
    PvP balance doesn't exist and there are other mmorpgs that have way better PvP balance than ESO. The only thing ESO PvP has is troll tank builds that infuriate your enemies.

I totally agree on the fact that troll tank builds are way too common in ESO (unlike other MMos i've tried) and contribute to PvP being rather dull and frustrating.

Sadly though, I am struggling to find a PvP relevant mmorpg with enough good PvP:

BDO - tried it but waaaaay too grindy

New world: brilliant but the modalities offered are limited and open world PvP is lacking; i'm level 51 and had ZERO PvP encounters even if I'm perma flagged!!!

GW2: I find the classes very unbalanced and frustrating
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Playable
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    I feel like a jerk ruining your poll results because I hear the horror stories all the time and I do hope this post gets lots of attention so that your experience can be better. Xbox NA may be in the best state... I play ravenwatch, duel in cities, bg, and blackreach and all of these work fine. Blackreach does get laggy and "difficult" to play at a certain threshold of population/zerg. And I went to grey host once a long time ago and will never go back.

I think the game would operate better if those people playing in grey host saying it's completely unplayable would go to blackreach or ravenwatch instead. And I'm aware that it isn't right for players to have to resort to this... But I don't see the benefit of standing on that moral high ground being miserable.

You basically said “ games fine if you close your eyes and play in the campaign that has no players and no build variety in it!”

No what I said was everything but grey host works fairly well for me. And then I suggested that some of the miserable people try to play somewhere less laggy.

Yup. Read it again. That's what I said alright. Didn't mention closing my eyes. You're funny though. I promise.
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unplayable
    Grayhost Xbox NA is a mess, if population is the problem with performance, they should consider adding more smaller scale, controlled PvP options.
  • BlakMarket
    BlakMarket
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unplayable
    Anyone else getting the frame drops, only in cyro?
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unplayable
    I used to love ESO PvP, but now everytime I think I would have to face lags, skills not firing etc. etc. I'm just "nope"... And since I haven't done any real PvP except of endeavours ones my addiction is away to.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Playable
    Ball groups bring lag, for the most part.

PCNA, GH mostly playable for me. 60fps, 45-115ms ping,
    PCNA, BR, great performance, but almost empty most of the time now.

Once ball group shows up my performance goes to pot, but ironically fps and ping stay the same. Skills don't fire, things don't work.

Personally, I think the last round of nerfs to all the classes, uber-buffs to NB killed the game. Population seems really, really low. Even peak, weekends, my queue time to get into GH seems abnormally low. BR seems hardly ever pop-locked anymore.