Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Fast Travel pegs my CPU .. any setting that might alleviate that?

jrfk2
jrfk2
✭✭✭
I have a razer Y900 with a Nvidia GTX 1080 .. and with task manager open when i fast travel I see it peg my CPU and friends who started after me arrive before me .. apart from "get a better CPU" .. is there some setting in the game that might alleviate that?
I have 400mbps dload on my internet so I don't think its that.
I have Nvidia set up to max framerate at 300 as it seems to really spike during fast travel for the image they show ..
So that's why I suspect it the CPU load that's slows down my travel ..

Any thoughts? thanks ..
Edited by ZOS_Bill on October 10, 2022 11:04PM
  • deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jrfk2 wrote: »
    I have a razer Y900 with a Nvidia GTX 1080 .. and with task manager open when i fast travel I see it peg my CPU and friends who started after me arrive before me .. apart from "get a better CPU" .. is there some setting in the game that might alleviate that?
    I have 400mbps dload on my internet so I don't think its that.
    I have Nvidia set up to max framerate at 300 as it seems to really spike during fast travel for the image they show ..
    So that's why I suspect it the CPU load that's slows down my travel ..

Any thoughts? thanks ..

you likly have a bottleneck someplace else.. is it also pegging your HD by chance?
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I think I remember about this game is it doesn't have a framerate cap during load screens. I remember people claiming the game tells the GPU to render as many frames as possible during load screens or in the main Menu and that causes an unnecessary performance hit. You have absolutely NO need to have your framerate maxed to 300fps. Cap it at 60 or 120 if you have the Monitor for that and maybe that'll lesson the load on your system.

Also you're talking about your CPU but you gave us your prebuilt model, not what CPU you actually have.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    From what I think I remember about this game is it doesn't have a framerate cap during load screens. I remember people claiming the game tells the GPU to render as many frames as possible during load screens or in the main Menu and that causes an unnecessary performance hit. You have absolutely NO need to have your framerate maxed to 300fps. Cap it at 60 or 120 if you have the Monitor for that and maybe that'll lesson the load on your system.

Also you're talking about your CPU but you gave us your prebuilt model, not what CPU you actually have.

The uncapped framerate during load screens is part of the "multithreaded rendering" option in settings. It allows for much faster loading during load screens.

You can set a capped framerate in the usersettings file but it will still be uncapped during load screens if the multithreaded option is on. Unless you cap it at the driver level.
  • jrfk2
    jrfk2
    ✭✭✭

oops, sorry about that, its got an Intel Core i7-6700K
  • jrfk2
    jrfk2
    ✭✭✭
    I had the multi-threading turned on, so turned that off and capped framerate ion Nvidia control panel to 60 fps (my "monitor" is an HDTV at 60mhz) .. quick FTed around and the CPU pegging is a lot less and I *seem* to be traveling faster, will test it out some in comparison to my guild mates to see how it goes ..

Appreciate the feedback ..
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭

With nVidia GPU he can set cap on drivers layer for 3D apps or straight for ESO64.exe.
    It flawless works on the loading screens.
    In time when I had gtx760 i had 117fps cap and background cap about 30 for ESO64.exe.
    Example:
    oa56z3lu60oe.jpg
    Edited by davidtk on October 6, 2022 3:37PM
    Really sorry for my english
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you made progress, but as a general rule, you should cap your frame rate to your monitor refresh rate (or lower)*. No reason to ever have uncapped frames or a cap above your monitor refresh rate. Uncapped frames are also a source of what I like to call gamer eye. If your eyes get red/strained, when gaming, start there.

PCs are always a game of bottlenecks, what a lot of people dont realize is that often, your monitor is the bottleneck. Especially if you spend a lot of money on your rig and not a lot on your monitor. Its like buying a fancy amplifier and terrible speakers. Not your issue, but something to think about.

*My monitor is capable of 200FPS at 3440x1440. I cant run ESO that fast unless I drop the settings (I can run some shooters that fast) , so I cap at 144. Very stable with my rig on ultra settings. My old monitor was same resolution but it only did 60 FPS. I would cap at 60 and my monitor at that point was my bottleneck.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on October 6, 2022 3:44PM
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What type of disk do you have?
    Loading times are tied to the type of disk being used.
    If you want to improve loading times drastically you need to get a SSD.
    Edited by redlink1979 on October 6, 2022 5:05PM
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The question is about CPU usage, not GPU. Rendering options have no bearing on that. Loading is I/O rate limited, so will tend to reduce CPU, meaning that faster SSD would make it worse, except that it isn’t the issue.

CPU being high while the game is not processing any animation suggests that the loading process is doing some compute-intensive action, like building memory tables to speed up processing later. Hitting the stops is only an issue if it makes the CPU overheat, and then turning down any over-clocking would be the cure.

And the time taken to fast travel is more likely a server-side constraint, as your character has to be added in to the instance you travel to. If you have a lot in your inventory, that has to come with you, so that might turn out to be the bottleneck. Probably not, but the point is that the CPU usage, and the travel time, may not be related at all. Except that the travel gives the client code the opportunity for housekeeping tasks.

I have also seen a theory that says that Windows will schedule its background work during game pauses, so the usage may not even be ESO.
    Edited by ghastley on October 6, 2022 7:59PM
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    During "loading" times most of framerate limiters will disable themselves. The only always on framerate limiter i know is rivatuner statistics server (RTSS). But if you limit framerate this way, loading times will become longer.
    If you need to reserve some CPU cores for other tasks (to remove 100% CPU usage) - there is affinity:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht4bV8IuWcM
    Each logical core of your CPU corresponds to binary 0 or 1 . For 6700K, which has 8 logical cores, to use only 6 cores code will be (1 means to use core, 0 means not to use):
    11111100 (binary) or FC (hex)

You can convert binary to hex here: https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/binary-to-hex.html
    Edited by ixthUA on October 7, 2022 6:55AM
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the PC Technical Support section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As the OP has improved fast travel lag by turning off multi-threading, we have decided at this point to close the thread from further posts.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.