The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Instant CPU temp spike in login screen since todays update

DeltaForce64x
DeltaForce64x
✭✭✭
so I got a new update on launcher today, and now cannot play the game because my CPU freaks out magically jumpin to 85c, usage also jumps to %99. This does not happen with anything else. Something is wrong with this launcher update? Other games work fine, I already deleted the UserSettings from Documents folder so I can set my in game graphics again but that did not help, same result. MSI Afterburner shows literally in miliseconds from 45c to 85c that is clearly not normal? Is there somesort cache I need to remove?
Edited by ZOS_Bill on July 23, 2022 2:11PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Repair?
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do you have vsync turned on in the settings? This can be a common issue in game menus if there's no FPS cap, since your CPU/GPU will be pumping out hundreds, sometimes thousands of frames.

You can also use a framerate limiter if this is the problem but you don't want to enable vsync for whatever reason.
  • DeltaForce64x
    DeltaForce64x
    ✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Repair?

That usually results with me have to redownload everything from zero, so no cannot do that.

I also like to say that this temperature and usage spike happens even with a custom power plan set from Windows 10 power settings that set to max%55 , I'm having hard time to understand how that is possible.
  • DeltaForce64x
    DeltaForce64x
    ✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    Do you have vsync turned on in the settings? This can be a common issue in game menus if there's no FPS cap, since your CPU/GPU will be pumping out hundreds, sometimes thousands of frames.

You can also use a framerate limiter if this is the problem but you don't want to enable vsync for whatever reason.

I already set my all games to fps to 20 to reduce heat on hardware, from NVIDIA Control Panel.
  • DeltaForce64x
    DeltaForce64x
    ✭✭✭
    It seems deleting UserSettings.txt from documents and settings did not do any change in game graphics. I did read all the EULA stuff but graphics stays the same as before. Is there any other file that I need to delete to restore in game graphics settings to default? perhaps that helps.
  • DeltaForce64x
    DeltaForce64x
    ✭✭✭
    PROBLEM SOLVED

1. Turn off Windows 10 Game Mode.
    2. Disable Fullscreen Optimizations ESO64.exe

God knows Windows 10 is so bloated with nonsense which drives people mad for a good reason. What is Game mode? Why is it added to OS? Why Microsoft keep adding "features" left and right and making problems? Microsoft wants me to use Linux or something? They destroying their own product.

Anyways,

Talos Be With You,
    Legate Rikke
  • sPark101
    sPark101
    ✭✭✭
    When I play eso the cpu temp is normal (37-86 Celsius ) but as soon as I logout to alts I get 100 Celsius spikes.
    No idea why.
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why either, but it has always been this way. It's extremely hard on your computer if you sit on the character selection screen for an extended period of time.
  • Playnice
    Playnice
    ✭✭✭
    I have been dealing with this same issue for the past 2 years or so. ESO is the only game that spikes cpu temps to its maximum operating temperature within seconds of entering any load screen. It's so bad that my 4GHz processor is throttling just to get through the load screen.
    Playing since Feb 2015 / TES fan since 2002
    Main alliance: Ebonheart Pact
    All classes, all specs, 21 characters / 2 accounts
  • cptscotty
    cptscotty
    ✭✭✭
    Turn off the multi-thread enhancement option in the settings and then restart the game. See how that effects your temps/load
  • deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so I got a new update on launcher today, and now cannot play the game because my CPU freaks out magically jumpin to 85c, usage also jumps to %99. This does not happen with anything else. Something is wrong with this launcher update? Other games work fine, I already deleted the UserSettings from Documents folder so I can set my in game graphics again but that did not help, same result. MSI Afterburner shows literally in miliseconds from 45c to 85c that is clearly not normal? Is there somesort cache I need to remove?

Thats normal after most patches. Depending on graphics settings the game will need to recrunch all the shaders so theyre quickly loaded during gameplay.
  • cptscotty
    cptscotty
    ✭✭✭

If you are seeing a jump like that its because of other reasons that ZOS wouldnt be able to fix because its on your end. Try changing that multi-thread option in the settings and test again and let us know if you see a jump like that still.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As others have said, I think it's because your FPS will skyrocket into the 500+ range on load screens unless you cap your frames.

Most do this directly from the .ini file with the setting for min_frame_time but unless you then lock the file the game can and will overwrite it during an update, causing your frames to rocket up again.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PROBLEM SOLVED

God knows Windows 10 is so bloated with nonsense which drives people mad for a good reason. What is Game mode? Why is it added to OS? Why Microsoft keep adding "features" left and right and making problems? Microsoft wants me to use Linux or something? They destroying their own product.

Anyways,

Talos Be With You,
    Legate Rikke

I refused to get a new computer because the bloat in win 10 and 11 But the guys at geek squad removed all things fat.

I loved Win 7 and refused to move off it till my comp went bust. The new ones won't work right on 7 so I was stuck with 11. But since they did their magic I have no problems.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PROBLEM SOLVED

Anyways,

Talos Be With You,
    Legate Rikke

Windows 11 game mode is far better and actually works

Join us 👐
  • Playnice
    Playnice
    ✭✭✭

OK so I just solved my CPU temperature problem after finding this solution below. For reference I was instantly spiking from 55C to 90-100C, and now after implementing the solution below I am running at a nice 65-75C. Also thanks to username CaliphStudio for compiling the information found here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7553424#Comment_7553424

"CaliphStudio
    SOLUTION HERE: (Edited text)

Thanks to those who found it and pointing at it in this post, the solution (at least in my case and apparently many more) is very simple (Makes you think ...)

To make it short:

Go to Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live.
    Open the file UserSettings.txt or UserSettings.
    Scroll all the way down and find the line SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "-1" (The number in quotes might be different for you), and change it to SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "2" (Simply change the number in quotes to 2, other numbers might work too but 2 was the one that worked for me and others).

You can also check the original solution at this post : https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/599878/fps-after-patch/p2
    Edited by ZOS_Bill on March 31, 2022 3:50PM
    "
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • cptscotty
    cptscotty
    ✭✭✭
    Playnice wrote: »

OK so I just solved my CPU temperature problem after finding this solution below. For reference I was instantly spiking from 55C to 90-100C, and now after implementing the solution below I am running at a nice 65-75C. Also thanks to username CaliphStudio for compiling the information found here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7553424#Comment_7553424

"CaliphStudio

Thanks to those who found it and pointing at it in this post, the solution (at least in my case and apparently many more) is very simple (Makes you think ...)

To make it short:

Scroll all the way down and find the line SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "-1" (The number in quotes might be different for you), and change it to SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "2" (Simply change the number in quotes to 2, other numbers might work too but 2 was the one that worked for me and others).

You can also check the original solution at this post : https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/599878/fps-after-patch/p2
    "

You didnt fix your problem. Your problem is still there and I really hope you listen to this before its too late for you. Your temps rising that fast to those specific temps means you have a severe cooling problem. If you do not fix it soon you will fry your cpu. If limiting cores is helping with this, then that most likely means your cooling paste has dried up and it needs to be replaced. Usually you should be replacing it at least once a year but rarely people do till its too late. Go look up a good cleaner kit online (should be in 2 different bottles) and then a good paste. Also wouldnt hurt to get a better fan if you can but replacing the paste should be a priority. If you dont believe me on this...go get a program called prime95 and test yourself while researching the topic. Hope that helps.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    cptscotty wrote: »

"CaliphStudio

To make it short:

"

You didnt fix your problem. Your problem is still there and I really hope you listen to this before its too late for you. Your temps rising that fast to those specific temps means you have a severe cooling problem. If you do not fix it soon you will fry your cpu. If limiting cores is helping with this, then that most likely means your cooling paste has dried up and it needs to be replaced. Usually you should be replacing it at least once a year but rarely people do till its too late. Go look up a good cleaner kit online (should be in 2 different bottles) and then a good paste. Also wouldnt hurt to get a better fan if you can but replacing the paste should be a priority. If you dont believe me on this...go get a program called prime95 and test yourself while researching the topic. Hope that helps.

Although that could be true it may not.
    Ever since the march update, limiting cores is the only way to stop cpu overload. There is a massive topic about it. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/599878/fps-drops-after-u33

It's been brought up on steam forums, bug forums, pc technical forums. It's a long standing game crippling thing that update 33 in march introduced. The games of several PC players looks like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juCyfobsgf4

Limiting cores is suddenly a requirement for everyone it affects. It started in march. The update 33 did it.
  • Playnice
    Playnice
    ✭✭✭
    cptscotty wrote: »

"CaliphStudio

To make it short:

"

I do feel though that limiting cores was a very substantial and direct solution to my cpu temps. As of today I am running multiple applications in the background with eso ultra settings simultaneously and sitting at 60-65C. It's worth mentioning that other games have never spiked my temps like that. But I do plan on reapplying new thermal paste though which is a great suggestion and good routine maintenance that everyone should do. As the builder of my pc I set myself up with a full tower with good airflow and cable management to make maintenance easy peezy. Thanks!
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As the OP has posted that their issue is now resolved, we will go ahead and close this discussion.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.