The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Eye of the grasp - any good?

Amorpho
Amorpho
✭✭✭✭
"when you deal crit damage, generate 7 ultimate. This effect can occur every 5 seconds."

Is it a good set for Ulti gen in pve? Or is there something better?

EDIT: What I have in mind is a Magicka Templar with Master Architect on body and Eye of the Grasp on front bar. Coupled with prism it should give me great ulti regen and, therefore, maximise the uptime of major slayer on me and my 4 player group.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on June 21, 2022 2:28AM
The Gaming Rev
YouTube channel - https://youtube.com/c/TheGamingRev

Characters

PVE
Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer - Master Crafter
Magicka Templar, Altmer
Magicka Nightblade, Breton
Stamina Nightblade, Khajiit

PVP
Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
Magicka Templar, Altmer
Stamina Templar, Orsimer
Stamina Dragonknight, Dunmer
Stamina Warden, Orsimer

Aldmeri Dominion - 1700+ CP

XboxOne EU
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Initial impression: sounds like hot garbage. I think the Baron Zaudrus monster set would work better if you want ultimate generation.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO Drake Rush is better. It has clear 100% trigger, it doesn't force you to invest in crit and most important works for your allies to. And when you do the math:

Assuming that you'll get the proc on cool down with Eye of the grasp per minute you will get of it max 84 additional ultimate.

Now Drake's Rush can proc 3 times per minute and fourth proc will last 6s. This gives us... 84 ultimate per minute but it works for you and 3 group members, also have 100% trigger that works even when you kite, you're defensive etc. etc.
    Edited by Mayrael on December 10, 2021 10:38PM
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Initial impression: sounds like hot garbage. I think the Baron Zaudrus monster set would work better if you want ultimate generation.

Baron would have to proc every <2,8s (cool down including) to give better ultimate generation, which is pretty hard to achieve. Also you have no control over it. The only advantage of this set I can think of is it being 2pc only.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In pve as a dps, it's not great. The ulti gen doesn't make for other sets that improve spell damage, crit, or even proc sets. In pvp as a magsorc tho, I love it. Sorcs don't have innate ulti gen, so it helps with getting Negate up.

For a pve tank, which I assume you're talking about, there's better sets. Drake's Rush, Arkasis, Baron Zaudrus, etc.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to be junk. Even if you want a cheap overland ultimate generation set to level in Bog Raider is as easy to get if not easier and better.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »

Baron would have to proc every <2,8s (cool down including) to give better ultimate generation, which is pretty hard to achieve. Also you have no control over it. The only advantage of this set I can think of is it being 2pc only.

I run Baron on a DK tank and Warden tank, and it works pretty well. I'm confused by your post saying you have no control over it. As a tank, I have a lot of control over applying status effects. Its cooldown is 1 second plus the application of the status effect. I can easily do that under 5 seconds.. Plus, its a 2 piece set with a tristat buff.

I agree that Eye could be a decent 2 piece set. The issue for me is that 5 second cooldown. in 15 seconds, you are limited to 21 ultimate. I feel I am getting more with Baron in that time, though I confess I have not tested it. But I can say with Baron on a tank, ultis generate very fast
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I run Baron on a DK tank and Warden tank, and it works pretty well. I'm confused by your post saying you have no control over it. As a tank, I have a lot of control over applying status effects. Its cooldown is 1 second plus the application of the status effect. I can easily do that under 5 seconds.. Plus, its a 2 piece set with a tristat buff.

I agree that Eye could be a decent 2 piece set. The issue for me is that 5 second cooldown. in 15 seconds, you are limited to 21 ultimate. I feel I am getting more with Baron in that time, though I confess I have not tested it. But I can say with Baron on a tank, ultis generate very fast

DK is pretty unique to applying status effects but even DK can't get from it as much as from Drake's Rush.

The math behind Baron. It generates 4 ultimates. So in 60s span you would need 21 procs to get 84 ultimates out of it per minute. 60s/21procs=2,86proc/s to reach that amount of procs. Now you need to take into consideration 1s of cool down which gives us 1,86s to apply status effects 3 times. It is possible in AoE situations, heavy dot builds etc. etc. but is not as straight forward as " just use bash". On top of it using Drake's Rush generates total 336 ultimates per 60s when you take into consideration group situation.

As @WuffyCerulei mentioed there is Also Arkasi's Genius set which is comparable to Drake's Rush and can allow for slightly better ult gen but requires sacrificing jewelery enchantments to reach its cool down. It can have it's pros though e.g. argonian NB will benefit from it even more thanks to passives connected with drinking potion.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!

• Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    In pve as a dps, it's not great. The ulti gen doesn't make for other sets that improve spell damage, crit, or even proc sets. In pvp as a magsorc tho, I love it. Sorcs don't have innate ulti gen, so it helps with getting Negate up.

For a pve tank, which I assume you're talking about, there's better sets. Drake's Rush, Arkasis, Baron Zaudrus, etc.

PVE DPS is what I had in mind, more specifically in a Magicka Templar with Master Architect on body. That's why I was looking into front-barring Eye of the Grasp as, together with the prism passive, would get me some really good ulti gen and Major Slayer uptime for me and our 4 player group.
    The Gaming Rev
    YouTube channel - https://youtube.com/c/TheGamingRev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer - Master Crafter
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Magicka Nightblade, Breton
    Stamina Nightblade, Khajiit

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Dragonknight, Dunmer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

Aldmeri Dominion - 1700+ CP

XboxOne EU
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Mayrael appreciate the breakdown. And I totally agree with Drake's Rush. Baron is something I run on those tanks where I already have 2 damage-increasing sets, like Yolna or Powerful Assault, and don't feel the need to run Tremorscale on top of it. Appreciate the info
  • Trundik
    Trundik
    ✭✭✭
    Its a bit late to responce, but well... Drake rush is stamina set good for tanks. Topic starter looking for Architector combo, which is mage set. Maybe Drake rush could work better with war machine. Now abaout mage.

I didn't noticed eye of the grasp untill this day, but now i did and want to try it also with Architector. So if idea is to maximize your ulti gain, it is way, when you use all sources in same time (this is a hint to use divine trait also). 7 ultimate in 5 second counts pretty same as if you have minor heroism on you, except u can add it too. Minor heroism available from pots (it is time/gold expensive, bc u need dragon rheum). You can also stack it with baron zaudrus+concentrated force combo.

Without eye of the grasp i had 20/30 seconds major slayer uptime on my DK, using catalyst as second set< it works good with concentrated force. Catalyst debuff is good too, but if you looking for MORE ultimate (which i want to try anyway), eye of the grasp will add something definitelly. Meteor ultimate will give you some points back too. One thing behind is that templar doesn't benefit from ultimate spam same as DK does. If u want to try such things, imo DK is better, because you will get a lot of sustain in this way.

p.s. But you should know that usually healers provide this buff, going roaring opportunist+yorwuld. Means in optimized vet trials most likely you won't be able to get in with this sets as dd. But maybe as heal :) DK healers have passive that generates ultimate from healing spam skill (obsidian shard) and it also does minor damage, means you will crit with it sometimes. I din't try it, but it looks like this sets works better on dk healer rather on dd.
    Edited by Trundik on April 15, 2022 10:45AM
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eye of the Grasp is a “I only exist so this zone has three sets” type of set.

It is bad. And as mentioned before, if the goal is effective Ult Gen, you’re much better off using Drake’s Rush.

My only advise is definitely do not waste gold mats on it.

If it was going to be an actual Ult Gen DPS set, the 5-piece would have needed to be something like “10% chance on dealing critical damage to grant 1 Ultimate” with no cooldown.
  • Trundik
    Trundik
    ✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »
    Eye of the Grasp is a “I only exist so this zone has three sets” type of set.

It is bad. And as mentioned before, if the goal is effective Ult Gen, you’re much better off using Drake’s Rush.

My only advise is definitely do not waste gold mats on it.

If it was going to be an actual Ult Gen DPS set, the 5-piece would have needed to be something like “10% chance on dealing critical damage to grant 1 Ultimate” with no cooldown.

Well, its not ult dps set, wise bro. But it also isn't bad. Lets do some rough math: drake rush gives u 24 ultimate per 18 seconds, while eye of the grasp gives you 28 per 20 seconds. I don't want to calculate but i think they are pretty similiar in ultimate gain (for 1 person ofc). Now lets think about fact that EoG is light armor set for mana based characters, while drake rush is heavy set with stamina and hp bonuses. In what universe is it "better"? They are completely diferent. And one more thing that you should notice is that EoG gives unique source of ultimate points, while drake rush doesn't. So if someone else (like some tank) will use drake rush, they will stack for EoG user. EoG stacks with any source of ult points, while major heroism buff isn't unique and could overlap with some other sources. But generally advantage of EoG is, as i said, it works with everything. Now if your goal is to cast ultimate as much as possible, it becomes one of the best set in game. If your goal is to see numbers-numbers-numbers its not. Drake rush could work too, but if mana character will wear it, it will be just throw away of everything except one set bonus. It also can be used as backbar set, while EoG is more like main bar one.
    Edited by Trundik on June 20, 2022 2:25AM
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EoG plus barrier is an interesting use case for one.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • Foxtrot39
    Foxtrot39
    ✭✭✭✭

Combine it with Frozen watcher + charged trait and you get a 100% uptime on AOE brittle, immobilize on ice wall cast while you have a 100% uptime on baron for just blocking

s1jz4xk3aww5.png

Add on top Pillagers protfit on backbar and its one mass ult generator you have (62.5 ult total per 250 ult cast)

62n5cchb3u3u.png

Though thats more a tank oriented build
    Edited by Foxtrot39 on June 20, 2022 11:51AM
  • Foxtrot39
    Foxtrot39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Accidently duped istead of editing
    Edited by Foxtrot39 on June 20, 2022 11:49AM
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The math behind Baron. It generates 4 ultimates. So in 60s span you would need 21 procs to get 84 ultimates out of it per minute. 60s/21procs=2,86proc/s to reach that amount of procs. Now you need to take into consideration 1s of cool down which gives us 1,86s to apply status effects 3 times. It is possible in AoE situations, heavy dot builds etc. etc. but is not as straight forward as " just use bash". On top of it using Drake's Rush generates total 336 ultimates per 60s when you take into consideration group situation.

Charged crushing shock, or Asylum destro to eleiminate RNG altogether and proc baron on CD.
    Edited by EF321 on June 20, 2022 12:09PM
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post