Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Is it possible Lv40(no CP) tank for normal dungeon?

AvalonRanger
AvalonRanger
✭✭✭✭✭
Is it possible Lv40(no CP) tank for normal dungeon?

I think it's impossible.

From My theory, healer's role is to keep alive DPS. Not for the tank.
Tank must have self healing and self protection. Otherwise can't deal with 6 or 10 mobs at once.
(Personally, i can accept newbie tank training though...)

Consider those purpose of tank role, below CP300 will not work as tank.
So in most of case with fragile low Lv tank, 1K-CP dps will become meta tank among the team.

But some player can't accept low Lv fragile tank. Because, healer will be dead in those situation.
That means pure DPS will be dead also. Only hybrid DPS can do normal run with low Lv tank.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on June 20, 2022 1:54AM
My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is possible to tank most normal dungeons naked at level 10 with no CP if you know what you are doing. I used to do it all the time just for fun.

Whenever I would start a new character I would do a starter island to get to level 10 in a few minutes and then immediately start queuing for dungeons as tank until my XP boosts ran out. Never bothered to allocate CP, never bothered to equip gear aside from what was needed to unlock skills. Last time I did this there were only a handful of DLC dungeons that would pose any kind of challenge at all - MHK being one of the more notable ones.

This does all assume that the person doing it is reasonably experienced and know most dungeon mechanics or is knowledgeable enough in the game that they can figure stuff out on the fly.
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sluggy wrote: »
    It is possible to tank most normal dungeons naked at level 10 with no CP if you know what you are doing. I used to do it all the time just for fun.

Whenever I would start a new character I would do a starter island to get to level 10 in a few minutes and then immediately start queuing for dungeons as tank until my XP boosts ran out. Never bothered to allocate CP, never bothered to equip gear aside from what was needed to unlock skills. Last time I did this there were only a handful of DLC dungeons that would pose any kind of challenge at all - MHK being one of the more notable ones.

This does all assume that the person doing it is reasonably experienced and know most dungeon mechanics or is knowledgeable enough in the game that they can figure stuff out on the fly.

You're extremely experienced player. So you can do that.
    But in most of my case, Healer and DPS will become "body guard" for the baby tank... :#
    Or, some high Lv DPS going solo play...maybe they can't synchronize with such a slow pace.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well yeah but the same can work in reverse too. I've taken new groups of DPS and a healer through dungeons and kept them safe from the many things they had no idea they were in danger of.

In the very best case I think all members of the party would be new... then it would actually be interesting and require some team effort to coordinate and figure things out :)
  • theendoftheriver
    theendoftheriver
    ✭✭✭
    It is fully possible. It really depends on the entirety of the group. I have run random normal dungeons with < level 40 tanks this week for pledges.
    Eric Dikkersun - Achernar - EZE - theendoftheriver - Orion Silvercuff
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is fully possible. It really depends on the entirety of the group. I have run random normal dungeons with < level 40 tanks this week for pledges.

Can you deal with 10 normal dungeon mobs at once without healer? or Kill Western-Skyrim WB by solo?
    If you can't do it. Your DPS or Healer mate will become care taker for your baby tank.
    I can accept that, but most of high Lv player can't accept those situation.

2023/12/21
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's almost like you're playing a different game :)

Not only is it possible but those of us who played 8 years ago when the game was much, much harder did it.

The tank's job in ESO these days is simply to gather mobs together in a killing area, taunt bosses and block damage. Good tanks go beyond that with buffs, DPS and even healing but those are advanced options for after you have the basics down.

The healer's job is to keep the tank alive and some of that for the careless DPSers too. The DPS job is to kill it all before they have a chance to cause anyone else trouble.

In the dungeons that you can do at level 40 there is very little challenge for anyone, including tanks.

Use a shield, wear heavy armor, spec for high health and grab the basic tank skills (aggro, defense and crowd control) and you'll have zero problems.

Use light armor, spec for damage, grab offensive skills and call yourself a tank and you're on your own.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Umm, the healer is caretaker for all group members. It's what we do
  • LashanW
    LashanW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you deal with 10 normal dungeon mobs at once without healer?
    Use the 2 handed skill "brawler", you'll be immortal in mob fights.

For normal dungeons a tank with sword and shield and a 2-handed weapon can be made strong enough to solo even at low level. Just need to unlock a couple of weapon skills early on and manage stamina sustain.
    ---No longer active in ESO---
    Platform: PC-EU
    CP: 2500+
    Trial Achievements
    Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Tick-Tock Tormentor, Immortal Redeemer, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vMoL no death

Arena Achievements
    vMA Flawless, vVH Spirit Slayer

DLC Dungeon Trifectas
    Scalecaller Peak, Fang Lair, Depths of Malatar, Icereach
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, I've never seen reliable NoCP-Lv40 tank in the normal dungeon.
    Especially, in DLC dungeon.

Usually, the game become saving baby tank from dangerous foe,
    or selfish player rush the game and going forward. Maybe, they want to
    do speed run for easy pledge or gear farming and for transmute stone of "rnd".

When I was CP300, I could do solo for Western-Skyrim WB.

When I was CP500, I could kill everything in FrostVault GD except last boss by solo.
    So, I decided to become tank role mainly in that timing.

According to my experience, CP300~500 is reasonable timing to consider tank build.

I'm still suffering solo surviving situation in PUG normal run as tank. Because of glass canon and
    fake healer, or DPS ignore important target which must be destroyed. If do it with reliable
    guild mate, NoCP-Lv40 baby tank will be OK. And I can accept that when I play it as DPS character.

But, most of PUG people may dislike those situation, I've seen several times people
    are arguing each other between baby tank and experienced player at the group chat.

I don't know which opinion is correct. But consider for gear farming or Lead hunting,
    then beefy solo survivor tank is better. So, when I do gear farming with speed run, I don't
    use my DPS character mostly.

2023/12/21
  • LashanW
    LashanW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, I've never seen reliable NoCP-Lv40 tank in the normal dungeon.
    Especially, in DLC dungeon.
    That is true. Because you need to be level 45+ to unlock DLC dungeons via dungeon finder.

When I'm leveling new characters I often queue for tank role for random normal dungeons and I can handle it fine usually (surviving is easy enough with either weapon skills like brawler or magicka shields, and ofc class specific heals). But for lvl 45-50 I generally don't do it. Because that's when DLC dungeons get involved.

As someone said. Technically it's very possible to tank normal dungeons at low level. But it requires experience (both in dungeon mechanics and the skills required to be self-sufficient, knowing the tank role is always a plus). If on PC, addons like Code's combat alerts can be very helpful.
    It's super important to know which attacks to dodge and block and which attacks you can ignore. For example a few DLC dungeon bosses hit VERY hard with heavy attacks even in normal, almost always safer to dodge them rather than block.

So it is probably too hard for a new player or someone very inexperienced in the tank role.
    ---No longer active in ESO---
    Platform: PC-EU
    CP: 2500+
    Trial Achievements
    Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Tick-Tock Tormentor, Immortal Redeemer, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vMoL no death

Arena Achievements
    vMA Flawless, vVH Spirit Slayer

DLC Dungeon Trifectas
    Scalecaller Peak, Fang Lair, Depths of Malatar, Icereach
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I routinely tank the non DLC dungeons with low level characters and very few of them are any more of a challenge than learning to do them as a DPS. Gear does matter more at low level but there are a bunch of sets that make you fairly bombproof and some are craftable. Orgnums Scales + Fortified Brass for example, and some overland sets like Pariah and Hatchling's Shell. Add two pieces of trainee (or if you PvP even better an imperial city monster helm/shoulder set as they are available low level)

You won't be buffing your group as much with those sets but you will also not be spending all your time roleplaying a carpet.

Some of it is practice and skill but the stronger selfish gear lets you learn and practice them, until you can do it in underpants (and you can tank many of the base dungeons on normal mode in underpants).
    Too many toons not enough time
  • Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quality of tanks is more given with experience of player (with tanking in general and with specific dungeon/trial), then with properties of character.

CP has lower impact on damage mitigation then skills, attributes and gear. It is because all CP, which mitigated damage was nerfed. It was passive CP which get nerfed first and active CP which get nerfed few weeks agou.
  • theendoftheriver
    theendoftheriver
    ✭✭✭
    Low level tank is not the same as inexperienced tank. Either way if the tank is doing tank stuff, normal dungeons are just not that hard in non-DLC content.
    Eric Dikkersun - Achernar - EZE - theendoftheriver - Orion Silvercuff