Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Please make Mora's Whispers into a ring or necklace and not a shoulder

Mr_Madness
Mr_Madness
✭✭✭
Makes more sense because the stats are not good enough to replace Monster Helm and Shoulders Combo but also a Ring or Necklace would make more sense lore and name wise.

[Edit] Let me better explain

What it does is: Gain up to 1528 Critical Chance and 10% increased Inspiration, Alliance Rank, Alliance skill, and 15% monster kill experience based off how many books of Shalidor's Library have been collected.

So basically some Critical chance and bonus to EXP which is good but not better then the Monster Helm/Shoulder combo. If you make it a ring then most likely people would run it more since will be useful for EXP runs while using Monster effects. Lot of ESO players use Monster Helms either for power or the visual effects [Which I do both].

Lore wise is Hermaus Mora is not really a Fighter so making his Antiquity a shoulder does not make sense besides the artifacts in Skyrim game which is an exception. Mora want's knowledge which lot of Mages like and Mages uses Jewelry the most rather then Armor or Weapons besides staves. Jewelry is more of Hermaus thing since its the most Mystical type of thing you think of in Fantasy besides staves.

Other thing is, It's called Mora's Whispers. When I hear it I imagine a piece of mage apparel that causes you to hear voices in your own head telling you secrets or driving you mad. A Shoulder piece.......name does not sound right for a piece of Shoulder armor if it was a piece of Jewlery.
Edited by Mr_Madness on May 27, 2022 9:33PM
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I see where you're coming from, but I think that ship has sailed my friend
    Altoholic, Frost Warden Sympathizer and Main

Glacial Guardian - Main - Frost Warden Zealot
    The Frost Man Cometh - PC Frost Backup
  • Mr_Madness
    Mr_Madness
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Stach wrote: »
    I see where you're coming from, but I think that ship has sailed my friend

Sadly yes but you may never know.

I just wish they would have thought of this.

A ring or Necklace makes more sense for a EXP relic of Hermaus Mora then a Shoulder that removes your monster combo.
  • FluffyReachWitch
    FluffyReachWitch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno, the shoulder seems like the perfect place for Hermaeus Mora if he wants to whisper forbidden knowledge into your ear.
  • Mr_Madness
    Mr_Madness
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno, the shoulder seems like the perfect place for Hermaeus Mora if he wants to whisper forbidden knowledge into your ear.

Talking out loud, yes but not telepathically.

Also Mechanic wise its actually pretty bad so its not just for lore reasons

That would mean everyone near you will be able to hear that. If it was a ring or necklace then it would be telepathically so only you would be able to hear it. I doubt Hermaus wants everyone to know what he is whispering except you.

It's like having a private phone call but on speaker. Anyone near by will hear it so it's not really private for just for you now.

Jewlery would be a better option both Lore wise and mechanic wise. More EXP gain is not worth losing the Monster Helm and Shoulder.
    Edited by Mr_Madness on May 27, 2022 11:22PM
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The things grants 7% crit chance, which is a lot given that it's 1 piece. I think they want to prevent it from being abused by high end people by blocking monster set usage.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The monster kill experience bonus is that from any enemy we kill like with the training trait or is it only applied to specific enemy types?

If it works the same as the training trait, that gives you 11% from changing it to training trait then the 15% from having all the books, to make it a potential 26% bonus kill XP from a single piece of gear, if that is the case I don't have an issue with it being a shoulder piece if not I would prefer a ring or necklace.
  • FluffyReachWitch
    FluffyReachWitch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I’ve been thinking about the balance aspect, and I’m thinking it's actually not that bad.

First, a note about monster sets. Sometimes it’s more effective to give up your two-piece bonus. Sounds weird, I know. But last year I was very active as a DPS in trials, and in trials I was asked to bring in a monster setup that was strange to me at first: stacking one piece of two different monster sets, which each had critical chance as their one-piece bonus. It was also recommended that one piece be Grundwulf if I could get it, because it offered the biggest critical chance increase of all monster pieces.

Now, back then, the reason I was given was that the procs on monster sets had been heavily nerfed. Critical chance had been nerfed as well in an attempt to combat Complacent Gaming Syndrome, but we were still asked to stack as much critical chance as humanly possible because the math still worked out. So I wore Slimecraw/Grundwulf and threw extra spicy fireballs at dragons and gryphons for months without any problems. (I hear Kjalnar is all the rage these days, but personally I’m not interested.)

Now compare one piece of Grundwulf to Mora’s Whispers. If you are stacking for critical, Mora offers more than twice the critical chance, making it worth more than the old head and shoulders combo all by itself. And then you still have room for one piece of Grundwulf, or at least Slimecraw or Iceheart.

Mora is also light armor, which is lets it fit snugly into light armor and 5/1/1 magicka DPS builds. This also offers more flexibility in terms of jewelry, which is great for full light armor users who rely on jewelry from heavy armor sets.

So from my position, being a crit-stacking mage who needs all jewelry slots for Medusa, Mora’s Whispers would be a solid buff. And then those experience multipliers are a juicy bonus.
    Edited by FluffyReachWitch on May 28, 2022 2:50PM
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Does it say things? :o

It might be entertaining to pair it with caluurion and, by chance, Hermaus Mora will say something and Molag Bol will laugh.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Elrond87
    Elrond87
    ✭✭✭
    id like the mystic vendor books that can be placed into a house once read on the character that has them, to be able to be read by your new characters, rather than farming all those books multiple times, kinda goes with the account wide achievements
    PC|EU
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. Elbert Hubbard

"If you are depressed you are living in the past if you are anxious you are living in the future, if you are at peace, you are living in the present." Lao Tzu

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. Oscar Wilde
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Madness wrote: »

That would mean everyone near you will be able to hear that. If it was a ring or necklace then it would be telepathically so only you would be able to hear it. I doubt Hermaus wants everyone to know what he is whispering except you.

It's like having a private phone call but on speaker. Anyone near by will hear it so it's not really private for just for you now.

Jewlery would be a better option both Lore wise and mechanic wise. More EXP gain is not worth losing the Monster Helm and Shoulder.

The name suggests it is a whisper, not talking out loud, and certainly does not suggest anything is telepathic. I agree with @FluffyReachWitch logic they presented and see no reason why a ring or necklace would make more sense. I do not see anything lore-wise to suggest otherwise.

Further, the use of any mythic forces us to make a choice. We are giving up either a monster helm or a 5 PC bonus. It is clear that this is intentional since the piece does displace something.

• Mr_Madness
    Mr_Madness
    ✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

The name suggests it is a whisper, not talking out loud, and certainly does not suggest anything is telepathic. I agree with @FluffyReachWitch logic they presented and see no reason why a ring or necklace would make more sense. I do not see anything lore-wise to suggest otherwise.

Further, the use of any mythic forces us to make a choice. We are giving up either a monster helm or a 5 PC bonus. It is clear that this is intentional since the piece does displace something.

Fits better for Hermaus if it was telepathic. Hearing whispers in your own head rather then having something on your shoulder is more terrifying and creepy but also fitting for a hoader of knowledge that drives people to their limits.

Have a mad man asking you "Can you hear it? Can you hear the whispers of the books?"

If it was a telepathic meaning he can only hear it in his own mind then its creepy because you don't know if he is insane or someone is actually talking to him in his head. If it was some piece of armor on his shoulder whispering, it will be like "Oh yeah, I hear the whispering." It Kills the mystery and it's obvious Mora is talking to him.

Mora is mysterious and cautious of who he shares his knowledge. Mora would not like to have his knowledge spread around to those who are deemed unworthy so he would prefer his whispers inside of a person's mind.
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    First, with that logic, the item should be a helmet instead of a shoulder, and not a necklace or ring. But I disagree. I think they're playing off the motif of a "devil on your shoulder." Where, if anywhere, does someone whisper into your ear? It's over your shoulder, of course. So this item thematically makes perfect sense imo. The only reason to want it as a ring or necklace, for me, would be the cost of upgrading jewelry to gold.

Second, I cannot think of a single competitive build that uses a mythic item AND a monster helm set. If anyone uses a mythic, they drop one piece of a monster helm for the 5 piece bonus of a normal set, since they're so valuable.

Third, this is actually a great mythic for its stats; there are many builds that I can think of that do not use mythics but do use two different monster helm sets to get crit rate, usually Slimecraw + 1. This mythic IMMEDIATELY replaces the other shoulder option for those builds, making the optimal choice ALWAYS Mora+Slimecraw.
    Edited by merpins on May 29, 2022 7:36PM
  • Mr_Madness
    Mr_Madness
    ✭✭✭
    First, with that logic, the item should be a helmet instead of a shoulder, and not a necklace or ring. But I disagree. I think they're playing off the motif of a "devil on your shoulder." Where, if anywhere, does someone whisper into your ear? It's over your shoulder, of course. So this item thematically makes perfect sense imo. The only reason to want it as a ring or necklace, for me, would be the cost of upgrading jewelry to gold.

Second, I cannot think of a single competitive build that uses a mythic item AND a monster helm set. If anyone uses a mythic, they drop one piece of a monster helm for the 5 piece bonus of a normal set, since they're so valuable.

Third, this is actually a great mythic for its stats; there are many builds that I can think of that do not use mythics but do use two different monster helm sets to get crit rate, usually Slimecraw + 1. This mythic IMMEDIATELY replaces the other shoulder option for those builds, making the optimal choice ALWAYS Mora+Slimecraw.

If your gonna talk about the shoulder thing at least acknowledge telepathic whispers I mentioned before, Not gonna repeat the whisper dilemma again because everyone ignores and goes "Its on the shoulder to whisper so its obvious". Having a cursed jewelry that causes whispers in your head would be a better choice because no one else but you and would fit better with Hermaus Mora due to being a H.P Lovecraftian god.

Also mechanic wise, Its only good for slimecraw and nothing else which is boring.

If you dont want to use slimecraw then this shoulder is worthless. Why would I drop my monster set just for extra EXP and some crit damage that other sets do better at?

I love Hermaus Mora but this antiquity is such a let down because I love the collect books effect it has but as a shoulder piece its not worth my time. 90% of people use monster sets so this is again "Boring".

It's a shame because I would have used this ring non stop just to read and collect every book because it actually counted for something but in this case it does not.
    Edited by Mr_Madness on May 29, 2022 10:12PM
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    it's more crit than the sorrow 5pc. for pve dps mora + slimecraw is probably the strongest "monster" set in the game
    or you can go trainee + mora if you want some extra health.
  • J18696
    J18696
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its a shame this mythic was made a shoulder it would have seen much wider use if it was a anything but shoulder or head
    PC NA Server
    @J18696
    Characters
    Pridē - Dragonknight
    Vanıty - Arcanist
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If your gonna talk about the shoulder thing at least acknowledge telepathic whispers I mentioned before, Not gonna repeat the whisper dilemma again because everyone ignores and goes "Its on the shoulder to whisper so its obvious". Having a cursed jewelry that causes whispers in your head would be a better choice because no one else but you and would fit better with Hermaus Mora due to being a H.P Lovecraftian god.

This makes no sense. Whether it be a ring, a shoulder, or even a codpiece, any cursed item could whisper to you in your head. The fact that it's a shoulder just doubles down on this idea. Lovecraftian horror and its themes were never centered around jewelry. If anything, you could say they were centered around books, the Necronomicon for example. You might be able to argue a pendant or medallion, but there are no lovecraftian ties to such objects.

As for curses on objects, the most common curses are on weapons, and not jewelry throughout fiction, especially in fiction that is based in fantasy. Take Dungeons and Dragons and all the worlds within it; I can easily name off several dozen cursed weapons throughout those fictional spaces, as well as a handful of books, but only two or three cursed pieces of jewelry.

A shoulder makes sense from the standpoint of playing with an idea. They don't do mythic weapons (yet), and they don't have books as weapons. So I'd argue a shoulder makes the most sense thematically here.

The other part of your statement suggests people would do anything other than slimecraw while wearing a mythic item. 99% of the time, if you're using a mythic item, REGARDLESS of where that item slots into your gear, you're going to go 5 piece, 5 piece, mythic, slimecraw, and backbar a maelstrom weapon or something similar. The fact that you can't get two 5 piece sets, a mythic, and a full monster helm set means you're weighing the options of Monster Helm bonus vs. Mythic item bonus, and the BiS piece of gear you can slot if you're wearing a mythic item is a piece of slimecraw.

Personally, I'd prefer it to be a ring or necklace, too. It would mean 1 less piece of jewelry I need to gold out, since jewelry is the most expensive to upgrade. But from the point of view of the theme of the item, a shoulder is best imo.
    Edited by merpins on June 3, 2022 1:51AM
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    J18696 wrote: »
    its a shame this mythic was made a shoulder it would have seen much wider use if it was a anything but shoulder or head

It's a pretty crit dense piece and people are already running mix matched or one piece monster sets to fit in mythics. This is going be more widely used than you think.
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

It's a pretty crit dense piece and people are already running mix matched or one piece monster sets to fit in mythics. This is going be more widely used than you think.

Slimecraw + This when there's no other mythics or monster helms you want to use. I'd argue most of the time, you wouldn't have any excuse to not use Sea Serpent's Coil if you were just going to use two pieces of crit rate unless your crit rate really is too low, but if you don't want that item for whatever reason, this is the next best mythic for those setups.
    Edited by merpins on June 3, 2022 1:56AM
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the shoulder slot makes it much more useful on builds than a jewelry piece would be. This enables it to be combined with a heavy set like Advancing Yokeda for more crit, without giving up any Light or Medium Armor bonuses. If it were on a necklace then AY could not be used on weapons + 3 jewelry.

And it's not just AY, sets like Kinras or Tzogvin are also frequently used with 3 jewelry on Light Armor builds. IMO this is more important than combining with a monster set.
  • J18696
    J18696
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

For pve yes but I'm talking purely pvp and I should have stated that
    PC NA Server
    @J18696
    Characters
    Pridē - Dragonknight
    Vanıty - Arcanist