Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How do you tell which skills are taunts?

Holycannoli
Holycannoli
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Is there an icon or something when mousing over them?

Aside from trying to memorize of list of skills how do I know a skill is a taunt so I can avoid using if I'm not the tank? It's not something I ever paid attention to until last night when someone said "don't taunt" and I didn't even know I was lol.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the skill itself should describe the effect that it taunts the enemy for 15 seconds

there are technically 3 skills in the game that can taunt: the first skill in 1h/shield, the 3rd skill in undaunted, and the 3rd skill in the destruction staff line (only when using an ice staff, and only the clench morph)

you can kind of get an extra taunt if you use certain gear sets like tormentor

1h/shield is generally speaking meant for tanks to begin with, you cannot get a lot of dmg unless you are doing a bash focus build

the undaunted skill is meant to specifically be a taunt as it doesnt provide much other functionality (low dmg on hit and an ally synergy)

the one that is the most accidental is probably the destructive clench with an ice staff, since this skill does different things depending on type of staff you are using
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • DizzyMac
    DizzyMac
    ✭✭✭
    There are 3 skill taunts, so its not hard to forget them -

Puncture - from the One Hand and Shield Skill Line
    Inner Fire - from the Undaunted Skill Line
    Destructive Clench Ice Staff - Destructive Staff skill line
    Edited by DizzyMac on May 24, 2022 4:00PM
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    the skill itself should describe the effect that it taunts the enemy for 15 seconds

there are technically 3 skills in the game that can taunt: the first skill in 1h/shield, the 3rd skill in undaunted, and the 3rd skill in the destruction staff line (only when using an ice staff, and only the clench morph)

1h/shield is generally speaking meant for tanks to begin with, you cannot get a lot of dmg unless you are doing a bash focus build

the undaunted skill is meant to specifically be a taunt as it doesnt provide much other functionality (low dmg on hit and an ally synergy)

the one that is the most accidental is probably the destructive clench with an ice staff, since this skill does different things depending on type of staff you are using

Yep the ice staff was the offender.

So there's only 3 taunts in the entire game? That's not hard at all to remember lol.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep the ice staff was the offender.

So there's only 3 taunts in the entire game? That's not hard at all to remember lol.

its certainly more obvious now than when the ice staff heavy attack applied taunt lol, that was an era of wholesome accidental taunting lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some sets also taunt, like Tormentor, or can have taunt-like actions, like Mad Tinkerer. Best bet is to avoid them in groups
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's also worth mentioning a small tank tech in ESO -

The first player to draw aggro from an enemy will get an invisible 15 second taunt on the aggroed enemy. This taunt is overridden by a proper taunt debuff from the skills mentioned in this thread, there isn't a consistent way to hold this taunt, and I believe there is a limit to the number of enemies that can be taunted in this manner at once.

This is a good reason to run some quick AOE ability, to run in before your team and aggro all the enemies up in one area, before the rest of your team grabs aggro and that free taunt. If trying to hold mobs' aggro, it also gives you a window to hold aggro while starting to apply the proper taunt debuff to enemies and rotate that to keep everything taunted.

Do keep in mind I haven't specifically tested this for a while, but at least as of last week it still worked similarly at least, to how I describe.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good info above. Companions can also taunt via two of their skills. S&B has a taunt, and the destruction staff has one when the companion is using an ice staff.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good info above. Companions can also taunt via two of their skills. S&B has a taunt, and the destruction staff has one when the companion is using an ice staff.

Do companions consistently taunt? I haven't tested it myself, but it seems like it would be borderline worthless if the companions don't actually fully hold the aggro.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marginis wrote: »

Do companions consistently taunt? I haven't tested it myself, but it seems like it would be borderline worthless if the companions don't actually fully hold the aggro.

the companion 1h/shield taunt has a cooldown shorter than duration, so they can effectively hold 1 target

the companion will also not use the taunt on anything that already is taunted
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marginis wrote: »

The companion destro staff taunt lapses so is of marginal use. The S&B taunt though is solid and, using it, a companion can hold taunt on a boss for the entire fight. One nice feature of companion taunts is that a player taunt takes priority over a companion taunt. That is, my tank companion cannot steal taunt from a real tank who is trying to taunt the boss.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo