The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.1 maintenance and is currently unavailable.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/657287/pts-incremental-patch-maintenance-extended-april-22-2024

PTS Update 34 - Feedback Thread for New Companions

• SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leogon wrote: »
    Isobel doesn't look like a Breton. She's as dark as my ex-girlfiend who's hispanic. What's next? A white Redguard companion?

The culture you are born into, the place you grow up and the tone of your skin or fur do not always have to fit together in an obvious way.

Perhaps one of her parents or grandparents was born on another shore? It does not make her any less Breton.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yet all negative rapport for ember is about failing stealth. Nice alright ill just solo or use Mirri

Her general mentality is getting caught is bad, but escaping is good, remaining undetected neutral, pickpocketing and thieving IS really good. I think it makes quite a lot of sense for her character. In game, you don't see the values so it's easy to feel constantly punished for messing up.

From the other thread:

Possitive Rapport:

Choosing the "flee" option after being accosted by a guard: +10
    Successfully getting away after choosing the flee option: +1
    Invoking the Clemency perk after being accosted by a guard: +10
    Entering a restricted area (trespassing): +1

Completing a Thieves Guild heist: +125
    Looting a safebox or thieves trove: +5, then +1 for each additional trove during cooldown (shared cooldown)
    Pickpocketing a guard: +10, then +1 for each additional pick during cooldown
    Fencing a purple-quality stolen item: +25
    Completing a Tip Board quest in the Thieves Den: +5 (has a cooldown)

Negative Rapport:

Getting seen pickpocketing, looting a safebox, stealing from a container, or killing an innocent NPC: -10 (shared cooldown)
    Getting killed by a guard: -5 (no cooldown)
    Willingly paying bounty to a guard after being caught: -25, then -5 for each additional payoff during cooldown
    Getting spotted while in a restricted area (trespassing): -10
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just unlocked Ember last night. She’s perky and friendly and generally adorable; I like her as a person so far, but she’s different than I expected given that the original stream mentioned her moral ambiguity.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Aedricbutter
    Aedricbutter
    Soul Shriven
    Yet all negative rapport for ember is about failing stealth. Nice alright ill just solo or use Mirri

Her general mentality is getting caught is bad, but escaping is good, remaining undetected neutral, pickpocketing and thieving IS really good. I think it makes quite a lot of sense for her character. In game, you don't see the values so it's easy to feel constantly punished for messing up.

But you WILL get caught or seen occasionally; that's essentially unavoidable. So she'll judge you for it (lose rapport). So I just won't be using her for her intended purpose (being out thieving) because I don't want a traveling companion that will dislike me or judge me for messing up now and then (or more likely, RNG not being favorable). This rapport loss from being seen or caught sounds good on paper, but the end result is just going to be a companion I won't want to risk using while thieving. Seeing as that's her whole intended purpose, it seems to me she fails to meet the intended goals. Even if the rapport loss is numerically small, it's unwanted and FEELS bad. I don't want to travel with someone that will start thinking less of me for things beyond my control or for occasionally messing up something they otherwise like when there's no direct intent to do so.
  • Fata1moose
    Fata1moose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have any other general feedback?

When this system was announced I was excited to go around Tamriel with some familiar faces from previous quests but so far we have only gotten new characters. I would love to see:
    • Raynor/Kireth
    • Naryu
    • Razum Dar
    • Darien
    • Gwendis
    • Eveli

Obviously there would be some technical stuff to work out like if you're traveling with a companion and you come up to one of their quests in a zone. I would suggest having the quest marker pop over their head in a certain radius.

In terms of dialogue options I'm still left wanting. Talking to companions feels like going through a template instead of organic conversation. Have them ask our opinion for rapport gains/losses. Have conversations that happen in specific spots like Inns, towns and player housing. Further character arcs with romance, additional quests in Q4 DLC, etc.
  • Monweel
    Monweel
    ✭✭✭
    Fata1moose wrote: »

When this system was announced I was excited to go around Tamriel with some familiar faces from previous quests but so far we have only gotten new characters. I would love to see:
    • Raynor/Kireth
    • Naryu
    • Razum Dar
    • Darien
    • Gwendis
    • Eveli

Obviously there would be some technical stuff to work out like if you're traveling with a companion and you come up to one of their quests in a zone. I would suggest having the quest marker pop over their head in a certain radius.

In terms of dialogue options I'm still left wanting. Talking to companions feels like going through a template instead of organic conversation. Have them ask our opinion for rapport gains/losses. Have conversations that happen in specific spots like Inns, towns and player housing. Further character arcs with romance, additional quests in Q4 DLC, etc.

Yeah, maybe when you complete every quest involving a certain character you could unlock them as companions, that would be awesome! Even though they do need more content, I think romance and all that big stuff will only be added after they put all the classes as companions (2 more to go!), but I think nothing is preventing them to implement some smaller things (like maybe being able to put a helmet on them...? ;) (hopefully (one day (please)))).
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Monweel wrote: »

• Raynor/Kireth
    • Naryu
    • Razum Dar
    • Darien
    • Gwendis
    • Eveli

Yeah, maybe when you complete every quest involving a certain character you could unlock them as companions, that would be awesome! Even though they do need more content, I think romance and all that big stuff will only be added after they put all the classes as companions (2 more to go!), but I think nothing is preventing them to implement some smaller things (like maybe being able to put a helmet on them...? ;) (hopefully (one day (please)))).

The problem with completing every quest as a prerequisite for major NPCs as companions would be giving up any new content for them in the future. I would want more content with my favorite NPCs. However I would love to have them as companions too, just don't know how that would be possible without either breaking immersion or despawning the companion version when approaching the quest version.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monweel wrote: »

• Raynor/Kireth
    • Naryu
    • Razum Dar
    • Darien
    • Gwendis
    • Eveli

if they did something like that, they had better not put the absolutely stupid requirement to have to do this on every toon to be able to use the companion

its already dumb enough we have to repeat the same questline to "unlock" the companion on every toon (even though you only need to do it ONCE to unlock it in collections)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • The3sFinest
    The3sFinest
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't even bother with companions until now, I was going to leave Ember spoiler free for myself as her personality seemed great, but I am glad I warned myself from wasting time on her later.

1) I do not know if it is a lighting or graphics issue, but it looks like she has a mustache, or a gap on her upper lip that I cannot look away from. I am aware there is a fur color issue that is making Khajiit all black, but maybe this is affecting smaller parts of the body...I hope that is what it is.

2) More important than anything, she does not have a Khajiiti accent. I find this incredibly jarring to hear normal human accent on Khajiit, and I know it is not required per lore as has been shown with Elsweyr, but this is honestly, poor choice of VA for what could have been a great companion. That is my (probably awful) opinion.

• Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had a bit of a nightmare with Isobel... I started with the iron quest, after I found the item I did not see the "Follow Isobel" and instead moved toward the quest marker, right off the cliff, moved to the quest marker and nothing, Isobel was just following me.... ran back up and looked around, nothing, I even went down the path and jumped where I would later find I was supposed to go, but no luck, eventually I dropped the quest and started over, Isobel was still following me, even after I dropped the quest...

I left the zone and returned, and was able to start the quest again... took the golden lute, went to get the staff and Isobel wandered off... gone... again spent time looking for her (started where the marker on the map looked every place along the path to it, both ways I might add, Isobel was gone.... dropped the quest and started again (after leaving the area again)

Third time was the charm, Picked the staff first, found Isobel back by the way shrine, talked to her, went back to the grotto, did the puzzle, went in and poof, she showed up... finished the quest, did the golden lute second and finally got the iron knot done...

I will try it all again on another character and see if I can screw things up again...
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • t3hnerevarine
    t3hnerevarine
    ✭✭✭
    Ember is supposed to be the brash troublemaker but imo she's pretty pathetic. Her entire quest is "oh no i messed up im going to be in so much trouble please help me" and then when you talk to her once shes your companion she says "am i in trouble? sorry i just assume"
    thats not a troublemaker, thats just someone traumatized by being blamed for everything as a child. Its not endearing at all.

i was hoping for someone flavorful like the necromancer from garick's rest

and even on "minimal" for comment frequency, isobel is shouting one of her pointless lines for the 30th time over the top of combat dialogue during a quest that i actually WANT to hear
    Companion comments need to be the absolute lowest priority for audio, i will ALWAYS want to hear the quest dialogue over whatever the companion has to say
  • RiverBrian
    RiverBrian
    ✭✭✭
    For isobels favor achievement, you need to interact with lyris. If you have completed skyrim/reach quests and then find lyris and sai and they take off together, where can you find them?
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ember is supposed to be the brash troublemaker but imo she's pretty pathetic. Her entire quest is "oh no i messed up im going to be in so much trouble please help me" and then when you talk to her once shes your companion she says "am i in trouble? sorry i just assume"
    thats not a troublemaker, thats just someone traumatized by being blamed for everything as a child. Its not endearing at all.

i was hoping for someone flavorful like the necromancer from garick's rest

and even on "minimal" for comment frequency, isobel is shouting one of her pointless lines for the 30th time over the top of combat dialogue during a quest that i actually WANT to hear
    Companion comments need to be the absolute lowest priority for audio, i will ALWAYS want to hear the quest dialogue over whatever the companion has to say

This is actually important. Companions should not talk if you are engaged with a quest NPC.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So I have been turbo griding Isobel, I have been using her as Stamplar DPS.

As a melee DPS it's very difficult to keep her alive, the big issue is that many enmeys particular those at vents have melee range constant AoEs that she might roll out of once but then that roll is on cooldown she has no choice to go back to fighting in melee. I have a similar problem on live with Bastan tank and the portals/atoll final boss (duke of Havoc?)having a stacking melee range AoE that just kills companions.

I basically have to focus on giving her a lot of defense and so lack offensive options compared to a ranged companion. I think all companions could use a damage boost. I am trying to give my tank someone to clear trash faster for me while questing, if I a fully pve specced trail tank does most of the damage its an issue.

Jabs is magic damage, when I want it to be physical for a stamplar, I am not sure how exactly the damage types matter for companions, but Mage companions will always be ranged so it makes no sense for Jabs to be the magic version. I want more jabs! jabs jabs jabs jabs.

Her quest is very cute and ultimately wholesome :).
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Isobel doesn't look like a Breton. She's as dark as my ex-girlfiend who's hispanic. What's next? A white Redguard companion?

Did you know that climate is a thing? And like, high isle is really warm and sunny? Who's to say that she hasn't gotten sunburnt several times?
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop rapport losses once rapport reaches max. Feels bad.
  • Meiox
    Meiox
    ✭✭✭✭
    What I don't like about the negative raport are raports with rng like 'when you get caught stealing/ enter restricted area.'

I would prefer fix raport like collecting insects for Miri, that way its easy to avoid negative raport. When rng is involved its kind of frustrating, even if its not much raport I loose, but it gives a bad feeling, at least for me.
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That line makes Sammy feel very troubled sad. It sounds like someone who expects scolding (at least) or a beating at the worst.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    So I have been turbo griding Isobel, I have been using her as Stamplar DPS.

As a melee DPS it's very difficult to keep her alive, the big issue is that many enmeys particular those at vents have melee range constant AoEs that she might roll out of once but then that roll is on cooldown she has no choice to go back to fighting in melee. I have a similar problem on live with Bastan tank and the portals/atoll final boss (duke of Havoc?)having a stacking melee range AoE that just kills companions.

I basically have to focus on giving her a lot of defense and so lack offensive options compared to a ranged companion. I think all companions could use a damage boost. I am trying to give my tank someone to clear trash faster for me while questing, if I a fully pve specced trail tank does most of the damage its an issue.

Jabs is magic damage, when I want it to be physical for a stamplar, I am not sure how exactly the damage types matter for companions, but Mage companions will always be ranged so it makes no sense for Jabs to be the magic version. I want more jabs! jabs jabs jabs jabs.

Her quest is very cute and ultimately wholesome :).

First, damage type does not matter one bit for companions... they do the same amount of damage regardless of what the damage type is. They also get no benefits other than what's stated from armor types either. Further, companion skills are based on cooldowns not resources, so the only way to get more 'jabs jabs jabs' is to slot all Quickened gear to reduce the cooldown.

A melee DPS will almost ALWAYS die in high damage AOE content- group events, dragons, etc. Unless spec'd for a tank build- as in all heavy with Vigorous or Bolstered traits and sword shield with all defensive skills slotted... they will die. In open world and sometimes even world bosses a melee DPS can do OK, but not for content that involves high damage AOEs. This is why I only use melee DPS for open world/delves, tank builds for world bosses and group dungeons and healer builds for world events/dragons. They will NOT increase damage because they don't want Companions to permanently replace other players, they've said as much when Companions were introduced.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • old_scopie1945
    old_scopie1945
    ✭✭✭✭

But you WILL get caught or seen occasionally; that's essentially unavoidable. So she'll judge you for it (lose rapport). So I just won't be using her for her intended purpose (being out thieving) because I don't want a traveling companion that will dislike me or judge me for messing up now and then (or more likely, RNG not being favorable). This rapport loss from being seen or caught sounds good on paper, but the end result is just going to be a companion I won't want to risk using while thieving. Seeing as that's her whole intended purpose, it seems to me she fails to meet the intended goals. Even if the rapport loss is numerically small, it's unwanted and FEELS bad. I don't want to travel with someone that will start thinking less of me for things beyond my control or for occasionally messing up something they otherwise like when there's no direct intent to do so.

This whole rapport thing just turned out to be a total pain in the backside for me. That and always having to heal my companions and that, for me they were immersion breaking was just a turn off. Though initially excited about them, I have now stopped using them. I find them hard work and just a total grind fest, so no thank you very much. I am much more happy companion free for now.
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have noticed (not on PTS) that Mirri tells me to Roll Dodge in a fight to avoid damage, then stands in stupid until she dies... perhaps she should take her own advice...

Companions in a Range Build will run away from a fight when they attract the attentions of even a little enemy... in some cases resetting boss fights...

IMHO, the damage is fine, the reactions are bad, if in an area that an AOE attack hits, roll dodge...
    If being chased by a MOB, run around your Player not away... perhaps a maximum range from player...

Rapport has a few issues, negative Rapport should never be tied to RNG, it should always be avoidable in some way, don't make stuff with Cheese, don't grab that bug (I do think it should be tied to keeping the bug, but it is what it is) and so on...
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far I’ve set up Mirri and Bastian as defensive with heavy armor and a taunt. They help me by keeping the attention of the enemies as much as they can while I do the damage. I’m sure I’ll do the same with Ember and Isobel. I keep them out because I enjoy their company and like leveling their skills, not so they can kill the mobs for me while I watch. That’s what streamers, err, content creators are for 🙂
    Edited by Elvenheart on May 2, 2022 7:18PM
  • KingArthasMenethil
    KingArthasMenethil
    ✭✭✭
    Something cosmetic but Isobel Veloise should have Dame in front of name since she's a Knight when she becomes your companion.
    EU 2000+ CP
    Characters
    Gaius Sulla 50 Cyrodiil DragonKnight.
    Livia Sulla 50 Cyrodiil Nightblade.
    Divayth-Fyr 50 Dunmer Sorcerer.
    Ragnar Shatter-Shield 50 Nord Dragonknight.
    Selvia Sulla 50 Cyrodiil Templar.
    Attrebus Mede 50 Cyrodiil Warden.
    Zirath Urivith 50 Dunmer Dragonknight.
    Dame Edwinna Gelas 50 Breton Dragonknight.
    Agrippina Tharn 50 Cyrodiil Necromancer.
    Bedal Dren 50 Dunmer Dragonknight.
  • EntropicLynx
    EntropicLynx
    ✭✭✭
    This may have been said already, but...

When are we going to get the ability to change the hairstyles of Companions, and when are we going to get the ability to give them (and change) headwear such as helmets or hats?

While I understand, from a general performance and menu design point of view, why we aren't allowed to change anything that for normal PCs can only be changed at character creation or through a Change Race or Change Appearance token. But we already have the ability to change their in-game models and textures somewhat through changing outfit styles and/or costumes, so why can we not also change other cosmetic appearance aspects such as skins, body markings, hairstyles, helmets, masks, or hats (or have helmets, masks or hats *at all*)? Surely the performance issues wouldn't be any more significant than the outfit style changes we already have access to, and the models and textures are already fully in place and implemented as part of the game anyway because we have them for our PC characters.

If this is just the companion devs wanting to show off their work and not wanting to relinquish any artistic control, then I think they're on the wrong side of the business and should maybe stick to level building.

It simply doesn't make sense to me that we can (mostly) control the appearance of our Companions *except for their heads*.

These sorts of appearance customization options really should be added.
  • Leogon
    Leogon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ember suffers from an old bug that's never been fixed. Her eyes clip through her eyelids when she blinks.

Edited by Leogon on May 17, 2022 5:47PM
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ember suffers from an old bug that's never been fixed. Her eyes clip through her eyelids when she blinks.

Seems like -all- khajiit have that problem, yes?
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Seems like -all- khajiit have that problem, yes?

I've seen this happen on NPCs that are not Khajiit too, especially when they look down, particularly vampires.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can you please improve on they handle AOE damage?