The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Error 209 - PatchManifestError_VersionFail

Kr4ftw3rkub17_ESO
After launching the game I get this this small window displayed over the launcher indicating an error.

"Error 209 - PatchManifestError_VersionFail.
This could be from a recent update if your game patched before all our servers are done updating, If you recently updated, please wait a few minutes. If this error persists more than an hour, Please contact customer support. KB Article"

I'm still able to get into the game so I haven't really concerned myself with it. Just wondering if anyone else has had this error indictor.
Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on April 1, 2022 12:51AM
  • zharkovian
    zharkovian
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, happening here, I ignore, sometimes twice, and the game starts, just another weird and wacky bug.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got the error too a few days ago, I repaired the game, and then it went away. But today, I had the game suddenly crash out completely and then when I went to go back into the game, I got the error again. I just finished doing a complete reinstall of the game. I will post here any updates.
  • nankeenheron
    nankeenheron
    ✭✭
    zharkovian wrote: »
    Yes, happening here, I ignore, sometimes twice, and the game starts, just another weird and wacky bug.

Ditto.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bug came back. I have submitted a support ticket on the bug.
  • wolfgirlb14_ESO
    wolfgirlb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    It's been happening to me too. It started with the last patch.
  • tindomiel4
    tindomiel4
    ✭✭✭
    Happening to me since the patch, too. I've ignored it. So far, it hasn't stopped the game from playing, it just pops up after a minute or two of the launcher being launched.
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It did stop mine from playing. it Forced 2 repairs.

After a complete reinstall Bug Remains - but at least I got into the game.

:#
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Supposedly, the game is being blocked by firewall settings on your antivirus.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tindomiel4 wrote: »
    Happening to me since the patch, too. I've ignored it. So far, it hasn't stopped the game from playing, it just pops up after a minute or two of the launcher being launched.

Same here. Only once though, earlier today.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Kr4ftw3rkub17_ESO
    OK, I seem to have the problem solved... for now.

I followed ZOS recommendations (it appears this is more common that initially thought. They have six different options to eliminate the error - I chose the 1st and it worked). I just navigated to the "ProgramData" folder in the Elder Scrolls Online file and deleted it. I then rebooted my computer and after activating the ESO launcher - the launcher showed 'Repair" (instead of "Play"). There were 3 small error windows that popped up that I closed (one after the other)… then I clicked on "Repair".

Now all is good... so far.

Update: It's Back!!! Oh well... As long as I can get in but what happens when another update comes along and my launcher doesn't recognize a need for the update?
    Edited by Kr4ftw3rkub17_ESO on March 31, 2022 2:14AM
  • IsJustaGhost
    IsJustaGhost
    ✭✭
    Zuboko wrote: »
    Supposedly, the game is being blocked by firewall settings on your antivirus.
    Randomly? This issue is not consistent.
    barney2525 wrote: »
    It did stop mine from playing. it Forced 2 repairs.

After a complete reinstall Bug Remains - but at least I got into the game.

:#
    This is a bug, not a corrupted install. Repairing and reinstalling is not going to fix it.

More of this is being discussed here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/601184/launcher-broken/p2

If the only option you get is to "Repair", then close the launcher and try again.

This error is also likely to show up after quitting the game and leaving the launcher open. When that happens, just close the launcher and try again.

I had just tested these steps again with success.
    1. I started the launcher with the option to "Play".
    2. I clicked play and let it sign in.
    3. I closed the game leaving the launcher open. After a short time the error showed up.
    4. I restarted the launcher and had option to "Play".

EDIT: I play through Steam.
    Edited by IsJustaGhost on March 31, 2022 5:10AM
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many here play via Steam?
  • freqsyncub17_ESO
    Repair. Doesn't change.
    Restart computer. Doesn't change.
    Re-download version and program data. Doesn't change.
    Open firewall for ZOS. Okay where is ZOS on my firewall.. Must create ZOS in firewall to open in first place.

Hmmmm.... restarting computer.... hmmmm that didn't work made it worse endless repair.

what may I be having it repair?
    skip that step go straight to client. hmmm still available to login and presto still have characters.... yet launcher wants to endlessly repair...
    this is like blow into cartridge to get the nintendo to play this giant usb not working try again try again.. close open close open..
    huh game is running and now the launcher wants me to be allowed to play not repair.. now to see if I quit the game and run the launcher will it work...okay so far so good will wait to see if pop up happens...

Make launcher to run as admin, add launcher and client to firewall. restart computer. open launcher hit repair open client and run game. continue to repair launcher as you running game with char. restart computer....
    finally something caught up with something whether anything did here did something not a clue...

Here is how it is for those who cannot will not go searching through endlessly google, ZOS's own frequently asked questions or just some old guy on the side of the road who's seen it all.

EDIT: DID NOT WORK. Came back after unlogging shutting off computer. Started computer started eso and the same thing appeared at least without endless repair request says can play......
    Edited by freqsyncub17_ESO on March 31, 2022 9:58AM
  • osaceeub17_ESO
    osaceeub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    aia6zkh1el9l.png
  • osaceeub17_ESO
    osaceeub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    finally got in the game only to be kicked out of the game. It told me I needed to run a repair. After I ran the repair and tried to open the game the message above appeared. Many of my guild mates have complained of the same messages.

osacee
    (16 maxed out characters)
  • Ariont
    Ariont
    ✭✭✭
    aia6zkh1el9l.png

I've gotten this message 3 times today. Once when trying to start the game and now twice when I log out of the game. Just started since maintenance on Monday.

• IvyCaramba
    IvyCaramba
    Soul Shriven

I do. Same problem - had to repair to play the first time but now I seem to be able to ignore it and still get into the game. Also randomly getting such high latency (999+) that I get kicked and can't log back in, despite restarting Steam/ESO, my internet connection being fast and working perfectly, and my playing on a literally brand new gaming laptop that was working brilliantly till the latest patch.

Yay!
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IvyCaramba wrote: »

I do. Same problem - had to repair to play the first time but now I seem to be able to ignore it and still get into the game. Also randomly getting such high latency (999+) that I get kicked and can't log back in, despite restarting Steam/ESO, my internet connection being fast and working perfectly, and my playing on a literally brand new gaming laptop that was working brilliantly till the latest patch.

Yay!

I wonder if this is some kind of conflict between Steam and ESO?
  • Ulvich
    Ulvich
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was just going to post a thread about this. It has happened to me 4 times this week, and I am really sick of it. There is nothing wrong with my game or any of it's files.gluy8uonghk7.jpg
    Hit Hard. Hit Fast. Hit Often - BETA Group: 85 b 9
  • zharkovian
    zharkovian
    ✭✭✭
    It is just coming back, over and over, and running repair does not fix it, ZoS should fix it, but then again, ZoS need to fix a lot and this is just a minor irritant.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zharkovian wrote: »
    It is just coming back, over and over, and running repair does not fix it, ZoS should fix it, but then again, ZoS need to fix a lot and this is just a minor irritant.

Apparently all prior experiences with this is from conflicts with software on the computer. I am running through a bunch of steps with Tech Support. My next step is to eliminate all possible conflicts and then test to see if the problem goes away.

If it is something new, then we have to help them prove it is different. So that is what I am doing. And if it is not something new, then I get to fix my computer. Either way, I win.
  • Ariont
    Ariont
    ✭✭✭

I wonder if this is some kind of conflict between Steam and ESO?

I still have the same problem with it giving me the error message when I log out of the game. And I do NOT use steam for my ESO.
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin

I've been getting this error 209 too recently (NON-Steam player, PC/NA +PC/EU). I have a direct link to the game exe file, that works fine.

As a long-time player, and given that this is happening soon after a patch update, I think this is happening because one of the load-balanced update servers has bad/corrupt/old version of the patch, or the redirect to the patch server may sometimes be giving an invalid IP address. That is, when we start the Launcher, it goes out to check if we have the current client version. If it gets sent to check the official current version on a non-existent IP address, it will fail. If it gets sent to a patch server which has a version problem, it will fail.

This is NOT a client-side issue.
  • the_raven27b14_ESO
    Had this issue this evening when I first opened the game launcher; had to repair it twice before it finally let me play. Now it's stuck on a loading screen after I choose a character. Really wish they would get this stuff fixed so I could actually play instead of constantly fighting with the game.
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all!

We are closing this thread as it is a duplicate to another thread found here.

Thank you for your understanding,
    -Greg-
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.