Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Shornhelm Divided- bugged

amapola76
amapola76
✭✭✭✭✭
I've been having trouble with this quest for several months now, which means I can't progress on this character, which is one of my favorite alts. Support has been... well, let's put it this way, their two suggestions are (1) repair the game (useless) and (2) abandon the quest (if I have to I will, but this will require an unreasonable amount of backtracking to figure out where I first picked it up, hugely wasting my time).

So I'm basically wondering whether anyone else has encountered this issue and has some actual practical workarounds.

Here is what happened: I played through Shornhelm Divided to the point where you are supposed to search the upper city for evidence. I picked up the first bit of evidence with no problems. Then the quest log said to kill Orzolag, with a map marker in the Barracks building. The moment I entered the Barracks, I got a notification that I had killed Orzolag. My best guess is that maybe someone else killed Orzolag in the next room, and I got credit for it, although I searched both wings of the building and couldn't find a dead body, Orzolag or otherwise, anywhere in the building. After waiting several hours on end over the last several months, obviously in various login sessions, Orzolag never reappeared so that I could kill her myself.

Now, I don't really know what the next steps are supposed to be, as the UESP detailed walkthrough is... not so detailed with respect to this phase of the quest, and just says, "get Orzolag's evidence." But there is a quest marker that says "Orzolag's chest" is below me, and there's a locked door in that room that says "Barracks Prison Cells" that I can't open, the name and the "E" option are greyed out. So I'm assuming that you are normally supposed to kill Orzolag, loot the body for a key to the prison cells door, open the door, go downstairs, and loot Orzolag's chest for the evidence.

However, since I did not and apparently can not kill Orzolag, as far as I can tell, I have no way to obtain the key, therefore no way to open the door, therefore no way to obtain the evidence, therefore no way to complete this quest and the zone as a whole. If I absolutely have to, I suppose I will eventually abandon the quest and start over, but it seems ridiculous to me that support couldn't just provide me with a key or reset it so that I can kill Orzolag myself. But here we are.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, and if so, were you able to find a solution other than starting all over from the beginning?
Edited by ZOS_Bill on January 20, 2022 10:51PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think your best bet is to drop the quest and pick it up again.

Edit: Check out the YouTube in my post below. You may not need to drop the quest after all.
    Edited by SilverBride on September 27, 2021 5:14PM
    PCNA
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, if you get credit for killing a quest-related boss without actually killing them, your best recourse is to abandon the quest and start it over again-- unless you don't need to loot the boss for some needed item for the quest, in which case, no problem.

Your second-best recourse is to wait at the location where the boss is supposed to be until someone else comes along doing the same quest and causes the boss to spawn, then get a hit or two in-- but let the other player kill the boss, so you don't end up screwing them ovee the way you got screwed by someone else.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a YouTube of this quest. The video shows 2 different Barracks Prison Cells doors. One was locked and the other wasn't. Orzolag is behind the unlocked door. The quest also mentions to Kill Juberic Gane who is in Shornhelm Castle.

This is a timeline of how they completed the quest:

At 11:02 they enter the barracks.
    At 13:00 they kill Orzolag then leave the barracks.
    At 14:58 they find the first evidence inside Montclair Manor.
    At 16:30 they kill Juberic Gane in Shornhelm Castle, then go back to the barracks.
    At 17:49 they go back through the unlocked Barracks Prison Cells door and wind around until they find the room with Orzolag's chest. They loot the chest for the second piece of evidence and talk to Skordo the Knife who is in a cage. They let Skordo out then they both leave through the door that happens to be the one that is locked on the other side.

https://youtu.be/rDbWtWh4G00
    Edited by SilverBride on September 27, 2021 7:05AM
    PCNA
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a YouTube of this quest. The video shows 2 different Barracks Prison Cells doors. One was locked and the other wasn't. Orzolag is behind the unlocked door. The quest also mentions to Kill Juberic Gane who is in Shornhelm Castle.

This is a timeline of how they completed the quest:

At 11:02 they enter the barracks.
    At 13:00 they kill Orzolag then leave the barracks.
    At 14:58 they find the first evidence inside Montclair Manor.
    At 16:30 they kill Juberic Gane in Shornhelm Castle, then go back to the barracks.
    At 17:49 they go back through the unlocked Barracks Prison Cells door and wind around until they find the room with Orzolag's chest. They loot the chest for the second piece of evidence and talk to Skordo the Knife who is in a cage. They let Skordo out then they both leave through the door that happens to be the one that is locked on the other side.

https://youtu.be/rDbWtWh4G00

Hmmm, interesting. Definitely worth a shot, thanks.

On second watch, it looks like they actually enter the prison cells for the first time around 12:30, and that Orzolag was killed in the prison cells. Which is different from what I thought, but would explain why I never found a body; it must have been right beneath me. Serious flaw with this quest, if they are giving ungrouped players credit for a kill on an entirely different level of a building. :|

Anyway, I'm still going to try killing Juberic Gane to see whether that does anything, but I suspect this may be one of those things where the doors are forever locked to me because the objective behind them is "completed."
    Edited by amapola76 on September 27, 2021 3:18PM
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    Your second-best recourse is to wait at the location where the boss is supposed to be until someone else comes along doing the same quest and causes the boss to spawn, then get a hit or two in-- but let the other player kill the boss, so you don't end up screwing them ovee the way you got screwed by someone else.

Yep, I definitely tried that, it would have been the best outcome. I spent a lot of time waiting around, and I think Orzolag may just be one of those comparatively rare bosses who never reappears once you have killed them.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    amapola76 wrote: »

On second watch, it looks like they actually enter the prison cells for the first time around 12:30, and that Orzolag was killed in the prison cells. Which is different from what I thought, but would explain why I never found a body; it must have been right beneath me. Serious flaw with this quest, if they are giving ungrouped players credit for a kill on an entirely different level of a building. :|

Anyway, I'm still going to try killing Juberic Gane to see whether that does anything, but I suspect this may be one of those things where the doors are forever locked to me because the objective behind them is "completed."

If you already have a quest marker showing for Orzolag's chest you may be able to just go right to the chest now through the unlocked door. Orzolag doesn't drop anything you need so no need to kill him again if you already have credit.

For some reason the YouTube player left to kill Juberic Gane and pick up the first evidence after killing Orzolag, but not sure why that order.

Well I hope this works for you. Please keep us informed.

I may go try this myself on a character who hasn't completed it yet.

Edit: Just want to add that the player in the video killed Orzalog then left, and was still able to go back through the unlocked door and get to the chest. So killing Orzalog doesn't stop you from going back through the unlocked door later.
    Edited by SilverBride on September 27, 2021 5:13PM
    PCNA
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if nothing has worked and you've been having the problem for longer than a month, you've already spent more time on it than dropping and restarting the quest would have taken. At this point I'd say you should just bite the bullet and drop/restart.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took a character who finished this quest way back before One Tamriel and both the Barracks Prison Cell doors are unlocked for her, so she was able to go right to the room with Orzalog's chest. Completing the quest, or any of its parts, will not lock you out. You just need to go to the door that is currently unlocked for you.
    PCNA
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you already have a quest marker showing for Orzolag's chest you may be able to just go right to the chest now through the unlocked door. Orzolag doesn't drop anything you need so no need to kill him again if you already have credit.

Ok, I finally was able to go through the second door. Thanks guys.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome!
    Edited by SilverBride on September 28, 2021 12:31AM
    PCNA
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear it!
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necroing this as there were quite a number of people at the 'locked' door today:

The quest marker is in the wrong place; go to the other end of the building and use that door.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As this thread is over 6 months old and the OP issue was already resolved, we will now close this thread from further discussion.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.