The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Multiple character progression past lvl 50

Bitter_Apple21
First time question. To make sure I have it correct, the champion point system applies to all characters on the account as soon as they go past lvl 50. If fact, apparently a level 25 character can access (and use?) the champion points constellation. Am I missing something or does that mean that effectively all crafting "elements" after lvl 50 (after the first character) are pointless. I do not need to worry or maintain the various crafting materials or supplies for anything between lvl 50 and CP160. Or am I missing something where there is a setting or something that will cause a toon to actually progress in those lower CP ranges?
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Only characters who themselves are over level 50 can accrue new CP.

They can use whatever amount you unlocked on another character, but they can't gain new CP for the account until they're level 50.

Crafting system doesn't really have much to do with CP except for a couple of slottable stars.

Individual characters would know traits and motifs separately, though knowledge of the outfit style (using an outfit station to make gear look different) is actually account wide.

EDIT: Sorry I think I got your question wrong. If you have one character at CP160+ (the max gear cap) any time you get another character to level 50 they will also be CP160+.

You never have to worry about CP 1 through 159 again on that account.
    Edited by Fennwitty on January 7, 2022 10:48PM
    PC NA
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Are you talking about mats, like Iron vs. Rubedite? Or are you talking about gear levels, like 50 vs CP 160?

As for mats, the only way you can craft various levels from Iron up to Rubedite (as an example) is to put skill points in the crafting skill as its levelled. You can be a CP 2000 and still only be able to craft Iron gear if you do not put skill points into Blacksmithing. Crafting levels progress only when you level them, independent of your overall character's level.

As for gear, its when your character reaches that level. So once you hit Level 50 that character will jump to the level of your highest character and be able to wear CP 160+ level gear, if that is your highest character's level.

Last, if you are planning on making alternates, you will want to keep lower level mats to craft gear for them.
  • Bitter_Apple21
    I think Fennwitty nailed it for me. I have 4 toons, and one of them is the "crafter", so currently I do not put skill points from the others into anything linked to crafting. For me that means that I do not need to "focus" on the mining of the material for the crafting levels between 50 and CP160, since as soon as a character hits 50 (+ a bit), the jump right up to CP780 (currently). Similar issue with gear. Once kept a Battalion Defender piece at CP80 or something, cause I thought that "set" would be good for a tank. Then it dawned on me, that either currently farming for gear or crafting for it, everything would be at CP160, so I started deconing all my sub CP160 gear. But I do keep mats for levels sub lvl 50 for the purpose of what El_Barracho mentioned, just don't need it for those other "middle" levels.

Thanks.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do crafting writs, you will need each "tier" of materials as you level up your crafter's skills to make the required items like Galatite Armor, etc.

That's about the only time you'll need those materials, unless you frequently make gear for other people who are leveling for the first time.

And with most of the crafting disciplines, you can brute force your way past those levels quickly by deconstructing a bunch of inspiration gear if you don't want to do writs at that level.
  • Bitter_Apple21
    VaranisArano, thanks. Although my other toons are doing the daily crafting writs, I currently am really only doing that for the "gold" and the chance for the surveys that they might get. Which I then pass onto my Master crafting character to have him get the high level crafting material. To you point, I have all the gear crafting skills in one character - Jewelry, Wood, Heavy, Enchanting, and Light/Med, and it did eat up the skill points to get that high - and I have been giving thought to spreading the crafting "lines" amongst the other characters and let me "respec" the current master crafter and get back some Skill points. And for that I need that "medium" level stock of material to allow them to level up the crafting skills.

• El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Bitter_Apple21 one thing you might consider is that your characters that do no have the skill points in those crafting skills, blacksmithing, woodworking, clothing, will have a lower chance of obtaining the raw materials. For example, your crafter will be able to go out in overland and the nodes will all be at the highest level. But if you take out your alternate who has no skill points in those skills, you will see a mix of highest level nodes and lowest level nodes.

I agree that there is no real reason to have two or more crafters, but I think it is useful to have the skill lines maxed out on all characters, along with unlocking all the traits on all characters (except nirnhoned). There are more than enough skill points to go around. Its also infinitely more convenient to be able to improve gear on any character than to have to put it in a bank, switch toons, improve it, put it back, etc. Same goes for reconstructing.
  • Bitter_Apple21
    El_Barracho, I am focusing on your words of "lower chance". I did not know that. I knew that there was a "split percentage" or something of what they found. Part is linked to their crafting skill level and the other part is linked to their character skill level, but I did not realise that the overall chance is lower. Do you mean the "split" i.e. a CP700 character with Tailoring level 1 will still get Ancestor Silk (not 100% of the time), but the other times they get Jute or is the overall likelihood of finding anything actually lower? That would change things for me.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get mats at your crafting level about half the time and at your character level the other half of the time. Continuing with your tailoring example, my CP1860 crafter gets ancestor silk half the time and ancestor silk the other half of the time as well. My CP1860 non crafter (without points in tailoring) gets jute half the time and ancestor silk the other half of the time. That said, all my characters have 'support' skills in crafting to better see mats, improve their chances of refining for improvement mats, making potions last longer, making food last longer. I just don't sink points into the ability to craft better items on newer characters since I already have two 9 trait maxed crafters for that.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lower chance of getting mats, besides the actual materials is in the Tempers. Doing Crafting writs is a reliable way to get Gold and Purple Tempers. But, you need to have max material tiers for the best chance.

If course this means investing about 60 to 70 Skill Points for all of them. Provisioning and Alchemy only need to be Top Tier on one Alt. Although there are nice usage passives to make consumables last longer.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Bitter_Apple21 Its what @AcadianPaladin and @Nestor said, that you have the same chance at the node appearing, but it will be a split between it being the top level mat (rubedite, ancestor silk, etc) and the level your skill is currently at, which would be the lowest (iron, jute, etc). There will not be less nodes. I have friends who intentionally keep some characters at that level because they craft gear for others to make gold so they need low level mats. Since a lot of that is low level training gear, they want a healthy supply of low level mats similar to their supply of top level mats.

And to join in what @Nestor said about alchemy and provisioning, I also have those maxed on my characters (except for gold level provisioning). The passives are the primary reason, but also the convenience in crafting when I need it.
    Edited by El_Borracho on January 10, 2022 7:06PM
  • Bitter_Apple21
    El_Borracho, thanks. Your words had touched a "suspicion" I have had, as even recognizing the "split" between high and low mats based on the character, it had seemed as if the higher "skilled" character just seemed to be running into more nodes of things than the lower level characters. I was putting it down to the visual recognition of the lower mats as being more blended into the landscape.
    It is easier to see Ancestor than Jute.
    The main value I am noticing on having multiple characters at "high" crafting levels are the odds of getting the higher level "improvement" materials in the crafting writ containers. Thanks again all.