Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Beginner mistakes compilation (Group PVE)

ixthUA
ixthUA
✭✭✭✭✭
Just type a mistake with explanation and i will add it to the first message.

Mistake: as DD, stand in front of the boss.
Explanation: Bosses use frontal heavy damage attacks that can 1-shot non-tank players.

Mistake: as DD, don't stand in front of healer.
Explanation: healers use frontal skills that heal and buff DDs and tank.

Mistake: as any role, don't use food that buffs your life and primary damage resource.
Explanation: higher life allows to survive, while primary damage resource increases your resource pool and damage.

Mistake: queue with the tank role selected, then don't have a taunt equipped.
Explanation: there are four taunts in ESO: Puncture, from One Hand and Shield, Destructive Clench while using a Frost Staff, Inner Fire from Undaunted, Tormentor Set. A good tank equips and uses at least one taunt to hold aggro on the boss and heavy hitting mobs that give your group trouble.

Mistake: stopping to fight individual mobs before tank stacks them.
Explanation: tank will go ahead to soft-taunt mobs and stack them, so DDs can quickly kill them all at once with AOEs.

Mistake: letting your combat pets to attack a single enemy while the rest of enemies are being AOEd by the rest of the group.
Explanation: it's faster to kill all enemies at once, use heavy attack or Y key (PC) to control your pets.

Mistake: starting the last boss before finding out whether the group wants to do hard mode on a vet dungeon.
Explanation: hard mode gives rewards, transmute crystals for pledges, achievements, etc. Have to wipe group and start fight again to reset if you did not activate hard mode.

Mistake: activating hard mode on a vet DLC dungeon or trial without the group's agreement.
Explanation: vet DLC dungeons are much harder and not all groups can do hard mode. Trials, much worse. If you activate hard mode on a trial it normally requires the group to disband and leave the trial because it can not be undone.

Mistake: joining a group for a vet dungeon run as a DD with a PVP setup.
Explanation: you will likely have lower DPS as a result. While it can be done, it makes the run unnecessarily longer.

Mistake: assuming the group will always do side bosses in dungeons.
Explanation: groups that are not premade or guild runs usually are there to get in and get out as fast as possible. Side bosses like Unhallowed Grave and Black Drake Villa take time. Always ask in the beginning if the group is doing the side bosses.

Mistake: doing a vet DLC dungeon without knowing any of the mechanics.
Explanation: read guides to find out what mechanics turn into one-shots on vet as there are a lot of them. You will either wipe the group or be constantly dead if you don't know the mechanics.

Mistake: staying at range when you need buffs, healing, or the boss mechanics target ranged players.
Explanation: usually, the best place to get heals and buffs is standing in between the healer and the tank, while flanking the boss. If you need those, move there. Some bosses have mechanics that target the farthest player away, so if the boss charges you repeatedly, you should probably move closer to the tank.
Edited by ixthUA on December 17, 2021 2:48PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mistake: queue with the tank role selected, then don't have a taunt equipped

Explanation:There are four taunts in ESO.
    • Puncture, from One Hand and Shield
    • Destructive Clench while using a Frost Staff
    • Inner Fire from Undaunted
    • Tormentor Set
    A good tank equips and uses at least one of these taunts to hold aggro on the boss and heavy hitting mobs that give your group trouble.
    Edited by VaranisArano on December 12, 2021 1:33PM
  • GoonyGoat
    GoonyGoat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mistake: doesn't train horsie or research gear traits from the beginning

Explanation: these take bloody months to finish, start soon as you can 🥲

(Edit) you don't actually need to HAVE a horse to start training
    Edited by GoonyGoat on December 12, 2021 1:37PM
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mistake: bunny-hopping in combat

explanation: your character looks like an idiot and I often laugh so hard I drop my keyboard.
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mistake: eating/drinking while mic on

explanation: (self-explanatory) eg "...so this boss main attack is...*SLURRRP*...". Gross .
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mistake: stopping to fight some add(s) becoming stuck, isolated, overwhelmed and quickly dead when the tank/other group members are way ahead.

explanation: the tank has gone ahead soft-taunting the trash so s/he can bunch them into a neat stack for easier dispatch. Follow the tank and don't touch anything until it's clear the tank has stopped and taken a position, usually at a choke-point.
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I added related mistakes.
    GoonyGoat wrote: »
    I don't think that horses and crafting are related to group PVE.
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you think about using pets in 4 player dungeons? From my experience they tend to pick a single enemy, lure it away from the rest and keep attacking it, while the rest of the mobs are AOEd by players. Is there a reason to use them?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ixthUA wrote: »
    What do you think about using pets in 4 player dungeons? From my experience they tend to pick a single enemy, lure it away from the rest and keep attacking it, while the rest of the mobs are AOEd by players. Is there a reason to use them?

Because you are playing a pet sorc? Or a warden with the bear ultimate? Both of those builds make good use of their pets for damage and get passive bonuses that benefit from having pets active.

It's not a mistake to play those builds in a group dungeon, if that's what you are trying to ask.

I mean, my sorc DD/Tank has the twilight matriarch for emergency heals, and it's come in handy for the times when our healer turns out to be a fake and I wind up being DD/tank/healer for the newbies in the group. I'm on a heavy attack build, so my scamp focuses on whatever mob I heavy attack. If that's an NPC off in the corner, that's my fault.

If you want a new player hint here, it's that you can control what target your pets attack. Y and heavy attack on PC.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mistake: Starting the last boss before finding out whether the group wants to do hard mode on a vet dungeon.
    Explanation: Hard mode gives rewards, transmute crystals for pledges, achievements, etc. Have to wipe group and start fight again to reset if you did not activate hard mode

Mistake: Activating hard mode on a vet DLC dungeon or trial without the group's agreement
    Explanation: Vet DLC dungeons are much harder and not all groups can do hard mode. Trials, much worse. If you activate hard mode on a trial it normally requires the group to disband and leave the trial because it can not be undone

Mistake: Joining a group for a vet dungeon run as a DD with a PVP setup
    Explanation: You will likely have lower DPS as a result. While it can be done, it makes the run unnecessarily longer.

Mistake: Assuming the group will always do side bosses in dungeons
    Explanation: Groups that are not premade or guild runs usually are there to get in and get out as fast as possible. Side bosses like Unhallowed Grave and Black Drake Villa take time. Always ask in the beginning if the group is doing the side bosses.

Mistake: Doing a vet DLC dungeon without knowing any of the mechanics
    Explanation: You can not learn them on your first run on vet. Run it on normal several times first. Read guides to find out what mechanics turn into one-shots on vet as there are a lot of them. You will either wipe the group or be constantly dead if you don't know the mechanics.
  • GoonyGoat
    GoonyGoat
    ✭✭✭✭

Honestly, too much wine and misread lol thought it was just for general newbies 😅

Though considering the amount being able to craft fair gear and travel at more than a snail pace for mage books, skyshards, etc, helped me in my first toon, I'll leave the comment as is 😁
    (Edit: spelling)
    Edited by GoonyGoat on December 14, 2021 9:29PM
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just realized that Powerful Assault buff radius is 10 meters. DDs are usually farther than 10 meters from tank. Is PA a healer set, or should DDs stand close to tank?
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

Not a mistake: play game, make mistakes, learn from them

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 17, 2021 2:11PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just realized that Powerful Assault buff radius is 10 meters. DDs are usually farther than 10 meters from tank. Is PA a healer set, or should DDs stand close to tank?

Well, it depends on the Damage Dealer build.

Typically, a tank will keep the boss facing away from from the group. Melee DDs will be flanking the boss, and thus within the ten meters. Ranged DDs will also flank the boss, but typically from farther away (because ranged) and so may not benefit from the buffs, but presumably get their own benefits from staying at ranged including usually taking more damage.

The general rule of thumb is that DDs who hang out way in the back can expect less group buffs and less heals than the melee DDs who are between the tank and the healer.

In most cases, though, it won't matter. Most dungeon tanks aren't running Powerful Assault, nor is it necessary that someone be wearing it in dungeons with beginners. If the 10 meter group buffs are the difference between beating a dungeon boss or not, that group had way more problems than that. Similarly, if a particular ranged DD realizes they need more heals or buffs, it's an easy thing to move forward between the tank and healer.

I realize this is trying to be a tip thread, but dungeons aren't always "One size fits all" in terms of playstyle. Be careful with trying to get overprescriptive with beginners - it's not really true that DDs always need to stay close to the tank. And real beginners rarely need to worry about how to optimize who's wearing what set. (And Powerful Assault is usually a tank set because of the health and stamina bonuses. Healers usually have better magicka support sets to use.)

Anyways...

Mistake: staying at range when you need buffs, healing, or the boss mechanics target ranged players.

Explanation: Usually, the best place to get heals and buffs is standing in between the healer and the tank, while flanking the boss. If you need those, move there. Some bosses have mechanics that target the farthest player away, so if the boss charges you repeatedly, you should probably move closer to the tank.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mistake: Running around like you are on fire because a bunch of mobs are beating you up

Explanation: It's the tanks job to take them off you and the healers job to keep the group healed. The tank can't take them off you if you are running around like a headless chicken, and the healer can't heal you effectively if you are far off on your own. Keep in the general area of the other players (preferably between the tank and healer) and if you get something nasty you can't handle run close to the tank with it so the tank can pick it back up easily
    (and if you are on voice a 'tank you can get this xyz off me' is often helpful - even a good tank can miss some stuff in busy situations)

And yes there are situations where you have to judge how close to get and where to stand to offload trouble without getting wiped out by a boss conal attack. That really only comes with experience.

Mistake: Assuming the healer will res a dead player.

Explanation: Some games work this way, and it seems almost to make obvious sense that the healer resurrects people but in ESO that's not the case. If a DD is down the other DDs should get them up as the healer needs to keep everyone alive and the tank needs to keep the taunt as well as pull stuff away from the dead. If the healer goes down then a DD needs to get them up ASAP. If the tank goes down one DD needs to kite any bosses whilst the healer keeps them alive (hopefully) and the other DD gets the tank up. It's almost always better to die kiting a boss away so the tank is back up than to leave the tank dead.

Mistake: not watching and timing ultimates and debuffs with other players

Explanation: This is a bit more subtle and advanced but makes a huge difference. Watch what other players do, particularly with debuffs. If another player throws caltrops as you engage each boss then hold your big damage ultimate until the caltrops are thrown. If you have a tank then drop the ultimate after the tank taunts and debuffs. If someone drops an ultimate the same as yours then know if they stack (two warhorns is a waste as are two bone goliaths). Similarly you drop damage ultimates just after a bone goliath if you can. Particularly for the short bursty ultimates or big attacks this makes a noticable dps difference.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • Paramedicus
    Paramedicus
    ✭✭✭

Mistake: stopping to fight individual mobs before tank stacks them.
    Explanation: tank will go ahead to soft-taunt mobs and stack them, so DDs can quickly kill them all at once with AOEs.
    This happens way too often.
    PC EU
    /script JumpToHouse("@Paramedicus")

↑↑↑ Feel free to visit my house if you need to use Transmute Station or Trial Dummy with buffs (look for Harrowing Reaper) ↑↑↑
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    Explanation: these take months to finish, start soon as you can 🥲

This may have changed. I recently created a new character and the man at the stable wouldn't allow me to train my horse without a horse equipped.
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mistake: letting your combat pets to attack a single enemy while the rest of enemies are being AOEd by the rest of the group.
    Explanation: it's faster to kill all enemies at once, use heavy attack or Y key (PC) to control your pets.

.[/i]

Omg i didnt know you could control them, thank you so much
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!