The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Necro needs some love

• IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *looks at the raid groups running 10 necros*
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zezin wrote: »
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    The way to fix this is simple as well, just change rapid rot in a way to also buff AOE damage, you can nerf the DOT buff to keep it balanced.

No thanks.

That would be awful for PvP.

Blastbones would do even more damage for pvp, same for the synergy from graveyard.

Exactly.
  • Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wtf way game u playn
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• Olen_Mikko
    Olen_Mikko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, i agree. It's not enough that the tankiest class can't outperform other dd classes.

Necros should be even more Op than they are now
    NB enthusiastic:
    1. Woodhippie stamblade - DW hard-hitter / PvE
    2. Know-it-all elf Magblade - Healer / PvE & PvP
    3. Hate-them-all elf Magblade - Destrostaff AoE monster / PvE
    4. Cyrodiil-Refugee stamblade - Stamina Tank / PvE

Go dominion or go home

Nightblade-Hipster. I played Nightblade before it was cool - from 1.5 onwards.
  • BronzeCaiman
    BronzeCaiman
    ✭✭✭
    Can we talk about how everytime any corpse gen skill makes a corpse, my companion ends combat and walks behind me?
  • Styxius
    Styxius
    ✭✭✭✭
    While I'm not in complete agreeance with this sentiment. I will entertain it by saying I wish Venom Skull was a dot based damage or had a dot based 3 case effect over it's current one. I think that'd fit Necromancers playstyle more. I also miss my execute crit being a tad higher :D
  • tenryuta
    tenryuta
    ✭✭✭
    i wish zos would merge BB into tether(target lowest hp player) and siphon(same rules as BB), and give semi perma melee skele knight/assassin(disappear out of combat 30-60 seconds, or on bar/skill swap), and race matching mage/archer, cuz i dont remember enslaving any argonians
  • Plectro
    Plectro
    ✭✭
    I play both Necro and Sorc a lot and have to say that on an early-to-mid tier level of gameplay, sorc is significantly easier to play and that's why you might see higher DPS output from it. Sorc also shines a lot in pure single target DPS.

However, when it comes to very end-game content where players start reaching a high skill ceiling, I actually found Necro to be not so difficult compared to sorc. One of the main differences in the playstyle is that Sorc has a very strong spammable, so overcasting dots on a sorc is a DPS loss. While it's vice versa for the Necro. Necro has a weak spammable but strong dots, so overcasting dots on a necro is okay and actually preferable. I found on sorc that I need to pay high attention to not refresh dots too early or dps suffers, while on a necro you can refresh early without really any penalty and trying to use the sorc playstyle of refreshing at the last moment actually hurt my necro DPS a lot.

Either way, I would say that Necro is definitely a bit more brainmelting to begin with, especially if going for a dynamic rotation.

So Necro shines wherever a lot of AoE damage is required. Necro should perform incredibly well in trash fights and some trials (such as vCR where I keep seeing Necros often at the top of the list, also boss fights like vHoF Triplets, when they're stacked, I've seen a 198k DPS from a Necro while highest from a sorc I saw was around 150k. This was in my scorepush group but we were nowhere near the top players. You would probably see a lot higher numbers from the best of the best)

There was also mention of vAS and yes, vAS is one of the weakest trials for Necros as the vulnerable phases of the boss are in 15 (ish?) seconds and dots are not really worth refreshing. Classes like sorcs (and nightblades especially) always outperformed in vAS by a significant amount. Top logs will likely have a lot of nightblades on the top, but sorcs are very slightly behind with their strong single target. However you will most often see only one sorc in optimized group, which will also likely be the interrupter at the medium level scorepushing, so will lose some DPS. While at the top level scores you would likely play without an interrupter.

Lastly Necros will also lose a little bit of DPS by having to use Collosus instead of Destro Ult (It makes them lose a little bit of DPS but buffs the whole group's DPS significantly, so it's very worth). And also you would often have a necro in a support set, such as EC as they're very good at keeping it up.

I recall someone saying that there are other sources of Major Vulnerability which isn't true. Major Vuln. only comes from Necros and I suppose Kynmarcher's Cruelty which is a very meh set and I've never seen it used. All in all, necro is a wonderful class, tricky to learn, but once you master the rotation, you can definitely pull incredibly high numbers
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plectro wrote: »
    I play both Necro and Sorc a lot and have to say that on an early-to-mid tier level of gameplay, sorc is significantly easier to play and that's why you might see higher DPS output from it. Sorc also shines a lot in pure single target DPS.

However, when it comes to very end-game content where players start reaching a high skill ceiling, I actually found Necro to be not so difficult compared to sorc. One of the main differences in the playstyle is that Sorc has a very strong spammable, so overcasting dots on a sorc is a DPS loss. While it's vice versa for the Necro. Necro has a weak spammable but strong dots, so overcasting dots on a necro is okay and actually preferable. I found on sorc that I need to pay high attention to not refresh dots too early or dps suffers, while on a necro you can refresh early without really any penalty and trying to use the sorc playstyle of refreshing at the last moment actually hurt my necro DPS a lot.

Either way, I would say that Necro is definitely a bit more brainmelting to begin with, especially if going for a dynamic rotation.

So Necro shines wherever a lot of AoE damage is required. Necro should perform incredibly well in trash fights and some trials (such as vCR where I keep seeing Necros often at the top of the list, also boss fights like vHoF Triplets, when they're stacked, I've seen a 198k DPS from a Necro while highest from a sorc I saw was around 150k. This was in my scorepush group but we were nowhere near the top players. You would probably see a lot higher numbers from the best of the best)

There was also mention of vAS and yes, vAS is one of the weakest trials for Necros as the vulnerable phases of the boss are in 15 (ish?) seconds and dots are not really worth refreshing. Classes like sorcs (and nightblades especially) always outperformed in vAS by a significant amount. Top logs will likely have a lot of nightblades on the top, but sorcs are very slightly behind with their strong single target. However you will most often see only one sorc in optimized group, which will also likely be the interrupter at the medium level scorepushing, so will lose some DPS. While at the top level scores you would likely play without an interrupter.

Lastly Necros will also lose a little bit of DPS by having to use Collosus instead of Destro Ult (It makes them lose a little bit of DPS but buffs the whole group's DPS significantly, so it's very worth). And also you would often have a necro in a support set, such as EC as they're very good at keeping it up.

I recall someone saying that there are other sources of Major Vulnerability which isn't true. Major Vuln. only comes from Necros and I suppose Kynmarcher's Cruelty which is a very meh set and I've never seen it used. All in all, necro is a wonderful class, tricky to learn, but once you master the rotation, you can definitely pull incredibly high numbers

The trick to VAS2 and getting the most out of your dots on Necro is all on your OT stacking Felms on the tail. You Definitely want to refresh all the dots when he is there and when he jumps kill protector and repeat. Your logs are going to no doubt suck on Olms because much of your dot uptime will be wasted while he is gold barred, but the dots are certainly not wasted. When Olms is down you drop ground dots and then move to protector. If everyone in group is doing the right thing you lose 3-4 ticks max. It all depends if your group can walk and chew gum at the same time during kite phase. I see some people that can’t hit protectors during kite and others still nuke protectors with ease. People that need to stop DPS to survive this mechanic I tell them to put degen and consuming trap on the protector. Those single target dots with still tick and they get mag back when it dies. Works well for minis also when they jump around.provided you don’t kill Felms by mistake on GH side with dots.
  • ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ke.sardenb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Sorc is one of the easiest rotations in the game, second only to the stamina templar. However, Nerco is considered the top AOE DPS in the game, an it class buffs are so powerful that it there are at least 3 guaranteed spots on any optimized team. This class needs no additional buffs.
  • Benzux
    Benzux
    ✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer doesn't need buffs, just adjustments. Flame Skull is by far the clunkiest spammable in the game - with no other spammable do I miss 50% of my light attacks in a rotation.

Blastbones also needs something to be done to it. I'm not the biggest fan of the "delayed burst" abilities in general, but the Warden's Shalks definitely feel better to use than Blastbones does.
    BenzuxGamer - Xbox One since day 1 - CP 1500+
    Guildmaster of the Sacrificial Warriors, one of the oldest and most member-orientated Guilds on the Xbox One EU Megaserver
    "Casual" player from Finland who enjoys questing and dumb builds even after well over 1000 CP levels and 4000+ hours. A fan of Argonians, Goats and Elk. Also a massive Otaku (MAL Profile).
    "Following the meta makes you a sheep. That's why I'm a goat: I go in the opposite direction and make use of the things the sheep cannot." - Me, 2019
    Characters:
    Ben-Zu - Argonian MagDK DPS - EP (Main)
    Benzuth Telvanni - Dunmer MagSorc DPS - EP
    Haknir Head-Crusher - Nord DK Tank/Stam DPS - EP
    Delves-Deepest-Depths - Argonian StamBlade DPS - EP
    Raises-The-Dead - Argonian Mag Necromancer DPS7Healer - EP (Previously a Sorc healer, RIP)
    Bthuzdir Ynzavretz - Dwemer StamSorc DPS - AD (Dunmer in-game)
    Fafnir the Dragon - Nord Stam DK DPS - EP
    Bloodmage Thalnos - Breton MagBlade DPS - DC
    Finnis Wolfheart - Bosmer Stam Warden DPS - EP
    Gwyneth - Nord Warden Tank - EP
    Kud-Wazei Xeroicas - Argonian Mag Templar DPS/Tank - EP
    Barkskin Ben-Zhu - Argonian Warden Healer - EP (Alternate version of main)
    Xal-Vakka Xeroicas - Argonian DK Healer - EP
    Jaree-Shei the Wamasu - Argonian Sorcerer Tank - EP
    Gwennen Ereloth - Snow Elf Mag Warden DPS - EP (Dunmer in-game)
    Friedrich der Grosse - Imperial Nightblade Tank - EP
    Warfarin - Altmer Nightblade Healer - EP
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer is by far my favorite class in the game because of it's versatility, it is however lacking in damage in content, it doesn't matter much if you can parse as much as the other classes in a dummy if you still do 20% less damage than the 3 button zoo sorc whenever you're doing actual content. As it is right now necros are only good as buff bots and to clear trash packs.

Dark Convergence made me hate necromancers and I play a Necro. No. Screw them lol
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Necro is and will always be weird and clunky so long as the pets it uses are in the weird in between of being a pet and a regular ability.

They count as pets, and therefore don't proc any sets and are even unbuffed by sets like Bahseis, even though they aren't permanent, can't be targeted, and can't be commanded with the Command Pet keybind. They also don't show up on the scoreboard in battlegrounds since they don't count as your own damage or healing.

Functionally however, they perform more closely to shalks for blastbones and cauterize/flames of oblivion for the ghost/arcanist.

I think reclassifying the necro pets to work more functionally similar to regular abilities would help with a lot of the clunkiness of the class, and would even buff them in PvE settings if they were to be affected by sets like Bahsei's.