Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

What does 1st place on the Cyrodiil scoreboard represent?

xylena_lazarow
xylena_lazarow
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
The score has successfully been rigged to be very close on the final day of Gray Host. It's still anyone's game, but what does winning it mean?
PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps

What does 1st place on the Cyrodiil scoreboard represent? 56 votes

Holding the most value in map objectives over time
41%
Tasvorigameswithaspoonnnamrakredspecter23VevvevRex-UmbraRohamad_AlimeekmikoWaltherCarrawayKamchukLongstrikerJaimehStarlight_KnightDimpfelmilllaurieThoragaalOBJnoobtechyeshicxDeusEJRxMcTaterskins 23 votes
Having had the most players
16%
xxslam48xxb14_ESODrSlaughtrgeonsocalArgonianAustinAuraNebulaEzorusPyvosNevidyraPvP_Exploiter 9 votes
Having had the fewest players
1%
Gummybear803 1 vote
Nothing / don't care / don't know
41%
biminirwb17_ESOThestephenmcraeub17_ESOKwoungSorakadem0n1kBashevlnigoadirondackSylosiJierdanitxylena_lazarowShardan4968Lady_Scorp72AberrantNetchQräheEdmondDontesAlutoraspacefrackingSkaraMinocbug 23 votes
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To this one it means holding the objectives for one's faction longest. All the other options are variables of this main concept and may influence the outcome.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the one called rohamad lol. Now if the question had been about the player ranked highest for their faction I mightve said played the most.
  • AJones43865
    AJones43865
    ✭✭✭✭
    I feel like there should be an option "I don't know anymore".

I don't know what higher scores in cyrodiil mean anymore. The right answer is supposed to be the first option, "Holding the most value in map objectives over time", but I don't know what it means anymore.

Super low population caps and an apparently easily abused low pop bonus system have made it so I don't know what the score means anymore.

BTW- this is a very bad situation to be in if customer retention is the goal. The higher score is supposed to correlate with playing well, not logging off to game the system.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's supposed to be the first one.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That's what I was going for with the 4th option, which I think you chose.

I wish the game were balanced enough to where it could actually be the first one like it's supposed to be.
    Edited by xylena_lazarow on December 15, 2021 11:49PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what I was going for with the 4th option, which I think you chose.

I wish the game were balanced enough to where it could actually be the first one like it's supposed to be.

I mean, having the most players frequently but not always corresponds to the most map control and thus points.

Similarly, there have been times when organized groups on lower pop alliances made a really concerted effort to do map control instead of just finding good fights, and they came out on top. Or a guild or two swapped sides, and turned the tide for their new alliance.

The issue I see right now is that as the total populations get smaller, the impact that small population differences and the low population bonuses to score can have get comparatively bigger. In that sense, it's always been a bad thing that ESO's server can't handle combat on the level we had even a couple years ago. It gets harder to balance an AvAvA game mode the smaller the population gets. Unfortunately, ZOS seems incapable of addressing the performance issues at the root of what's killing Cyrodiil slowly.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having had the most players
    Every campaign is decided by which faction has the most players over the course of every day of the campaign. So many camps are decided by the faction that has active groups overnight and in the mornings.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • biminirwb17_ESO
    biminirwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It means absolutely nothing, low pop bonuses, guilds from other campaigns arriving to extract revenge on players that have no idea why they are upset, plus it gives nothing.

It used to be bragging rights but now most people don't care.
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want to know how a specific faction repeatedly gets the low pop bonus when full. Something is amiss here.

Other than that, it feels like it is very much out of control of effort and a draw based on who runs over the empty map more. I'd say it's pointless; but I still prefer to play the map because if I didn't; I'd feel like it's an even bigger waste of time.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So in the end, after a month of EP daycaps trading off with AD nightcaps, DC sneaks the win, grats to them. The final day saw AD with a mysteriously flickering low pop bonus, which set both EP and DC zone chats ablaze with rage and conspiracy theories, leading to Team Purple making sure that wouldn't be how the final day would be decided.

Fair? Probably not.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the campaign score is meaningless to me, partially because the timer (30 days) is way way way too long to really have an influence, and because to me cyro is the place you go to earn AP so gaining/losing points as a faction to me doesnt matter

one of the other games i do enjoy now and then that is pvp related is planetside 2, that one actually feels like your faction "wins" when you actually have the most control at the end of alerts and the battles can get quite intense (there are some 90 min alerts ive spent 60+ minutes at the same large scale fight)

with cyrodiil the map never "resets" which further diminishes the point of the score

maybe to make scoring relevant again (and maybe improve performance) is to break cyro into 3 smaller chunks, in which we would have smaller (3-7 day campaign), and at the end a faction would lock it, and could grant an AP bonus in the "new" campaign (this kind of idea could obviously be fleshed out a lot more, just giving the gist of it which would, to me, make scoring/holding ground more relevant)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this point it's having the most players at the correct time of day.
  • AJones43865
    AJones43865
    ✭✭✭✭
    At this point it's having the most players at the correct time of day.

Actually, and I mean this literally, the faction getting the most points and winning the campaign now days tends to be the faction with the lowest population the highest amount of time as compared to other factions. In other words, the faction that logs on the least gets low pop bonus the most, and wins the campaign. This is quite literally what just happened on PC NA Greyhost. DC just won a campaign as a reward be being logged on the least.
  • Kamchuk
    Kamchuk
    ✭✭✭
    For me - wining the campaign via the objectives is the goal. The majority of people who play Greyhost are there for the strategy/tactics involved in WINNING the campaign. It is a campaign that is NOT about the rewards at the end, (we are all millionaires and have all the best golded gear already), it is entirely about winning via the score. If we didn’t care about the score, we would be playing the other campaigns where the score doesn’t matter. What has happened is that the low pop bonus has destroyed this concept. Whether it is an exploit executed by a few individuals or a problem with ZOS algorithms, or a combination of both, the low pop bonus has morphed into a way to cheat. It may have been originally designed to keep the score close, but that is no longer the case with how it is being exploited. Anyone who has knowledge of this exploit has an obligation to the game and to honest players to report it. ZOS is investing in hardware to improve performance. If you enjoy this game - then let's keep the cheaters out.
  • Magio_
    Magio_
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having the most people willing to log in at 2am to PvDoor the whole map to your faction's color :D
  • EmperorIl
    EmperorIl
    ✭✭✭✭
    DC on NA/GH just won the last campaign despite the fact red zerged the map daily and yellow exploited the low pop bonus. This just shows that strategy wins over population and even cheating. How about that?
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...which usually happens when a faction has the biggest population.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    EmperorIl wrote: »
    DC on NA/GH just won the last campaign despite the fact red zerged the map daily and yellow exploited the low pop bonus. This just shows that strategy wins over population and even cheating. How about that?
    If you think AD was "exploiting" the low pop bonus, you should hear what people have to say about DC in that regard... DC did seem to have the lowest average population, so does their win mean the underdog system is a success?
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PC NA it means you have the highest pop in off-peak hours. Whoever has the Zerg to pvdoor the entire map after your enemies log off wins the campaign that month. It’s been like that for years.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't mean what it used to mean and I don't know what it means anymore. Cyrodiil needs good sized pops all the time to work with how it is set up.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What does 1st place on the Cyrodiil scoreboard represent?

It means absolutely nothing, except possibly that some people care way to much about a video game... that means absolutely nothing.

• xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »
    It means absolutely nothing, except possibly that some people care way to much about a video game... that means absolutely nothing.
    This is sad though because if the game feels meaningless and you stop caring, you probably stop playing it too. The faction/team minded players will give up, the power fantasy tryhards will have no more pugs to stomp, and the Cyro population will continue to decline. The factions are more evenly balanced this campaign, the map usually looks even, but the action is somehow as dead as when the entire map was one color.
  • BlakMarket
    BlakMarket
    ✭✭✭✭
    27 days of the camp I just looks for good fights, the last 3 days I'll try rally DC to be strategic with the map to try win, because I know how seriously the zerg leaders of the other factions take the score and winning lmao
  • spacefracking
    spacefracking
    ✭✭✭✭
    Depends whether you're winning or losing
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cyrodiil leaderboard is unethical due to the unhealthy amount of playtime required to get #1.

Blizzard removed PvP ranks from WoW for this exact reason because players were collapsing from 16-20+ hours/day.

Surprised nobody has gotten hurt yet with ESO.
    PC NA
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EmperorIl wrote: »
    If you think AD was "exploiting" the low pop bonus, you should hear what people have to say about DC in that regard... DC did seem to have the lowest average population, so does their win mean the underdog system is a success?

Every faction thinks the other two alliances are conspiring to work together or exploit the low pop bonus. The truth of the matter is that the side with the most number of organized groups that play the most amount of time always wins the campaign. End of story.

• vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The correct answer would be "best night/morning cap". I know, different time zones etc., but if it were just different time zones, while somehow all players of that time zone play just one faction :p
    1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!