Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Alliances

Hollyniss
Hollyniss
✭✭✭
I don't think factions should be chosen at character creation. I think that should be an in game choice. That way if you want to remain neutral you're able to do so. Also I think when you choose a faction if you enter enemy territory (Daggerfall as a Dominion or Pact member and so on) it makes you fair game for that faction, guards included. It just makes no sense for a loyal member of a faction to be able to wander around the enemy faction with no worry of repercussion. Also able to help the other factions and saving their leaders which would be considered treason. I think if a person wants to play all areas freely then they should only be able to do so if they are currently not part of ANY faction. The whole think gets even more confusing in the chapters and dlc. The war is ongoing yet in Summerset the queen opens up her borders? Or is the war at that point over? Time is a very confusing concept in this game. The game originally started with the focus on Molag Bal's soulburst and the three banners war. It's extended well beyond that and that's where it gets dicey. I think before they add more chapters or dlc they should take a hard look at the base game and how it affects the world of Tamriel going forward. It may be time to remove the three factions altogether and find a different way to implement pvp. Maybe an outlaw system or guild wars. I just think the three banner war has been played out, it has no affect on the overall game anyway. That way Cyrodiil can get cleaned up and be a regular playble zone.
Edited by Hollyniss on December 10, 2021 8:08PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here, as with many quests, ESO makes more sense if you play in chronogical order of release.

Wandering around other alliances:
    Meridia's light allows us to explore other Alliances without being identified.
    Cadwell: "Touch Meridia's light and see the world through the eyes of your former enemies.
    But fair warning—you will no longer be seen as a great champion. Even familiar faces will see you as a soulless drifter, lost in an unfamiliar land. What say you?"

Summerset
    The war isn't over, and the majority of immigrating NPCs we meet are unaligned or prefer the Dominion rather than attached to the Pact or Covenant. Opening the borders is part of Ayrenn pursuing her vision for her Dominion. Example, Tsoxolza is from Murkmire, not Pact territory: https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Tsoxolza's_Letter. A redguard who's family lived in Summerset for centuries recently called in his cousin to help with the business, and so on.

In a later part of the quest line
    Ayrenn is willing to ask the Pact and Covenant to help in a last ditch effort to stop Nocturnal from taking over the cosmos, because that's bad for everyone. This comes after (chronologically) the failed attempt to cooperate against Molag Bal at Stirk, so I can only assume that the three Alliances were embarrassed to be shown up by the Mages/Fighters Guild forces during the invasion of Coldharbor.

Razum-dar says: "Raz warned Queen Ayrenn. She has promised to contact the leaders of the other alliances and assemble a mighty force to deal with this threat! Which brings us to the not-so-happy news." "The mighty force won't reach Summerset for quite some time. Oh, and Raz could tell you about prevailing winds, unusual storms, and other factors beyond our control, but it amounts to the same thing. We're on our own, my friend."

So, no, I don't agree that we need to transform whole swathes of the game into "You're fair game to enemy guards." I don't even think that it's necessary to impose a certain order of chronological play on people.

If it bothers you that Pact Captain Varanis Arano is wandering around shopping at the Guild traders in Elden Root, that's too bad. She's blessed by Meridia's Light.

And if it bugs you that it doesn't make sense for your characters, then you've got the same option! You too can play your alliance in chronogical order up until you start Cadwell's Silver, and then branch out to do whatever you like.
    Edited by VaranisArano on December 10, 2021 8:05PM
  • Hollyniss
    Hollyniss
    ✭✭✭
    Here, as with many quests, ESO makes more sense if you play in chronogical order of release.

Wandering around other alliances:
    Meridia's light allows us to explore other Alliances without being identified.
    Cadwell: "Touch Meridia's light and see the world through the eyes of your former enemies.
    But fair warning—you will no longer be seen as a great champion. Even familiar faces will see you as a soulless drifter, lost in an unfamiliar land. What say you?"

Summerset
    The war isn't over, and the majority of immigrating NPCs we meet are unaligned or prefer the Dominion rather than attached to the Pact or Covenant. Opening the borders is part of Ayrenn pursuing her vision for her Dominion. Example, Tsoxolza is from Murkmire, not Pact territory: https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Tsoxolza's_Letter. A redguard who's family lived in Summerset for centuries recently called in his cousin to help with the business, and so on.

In a later part of the quest line
    Ayrenn is willing to ask the Pact and Covenant to help in a last ditch effort to stop Nocturnal from taking over the cosmos, because that's bad for everyone. This comes after (chronologically) the failed attempt to cooperate against Molag Bal at Stirk, so I can only assume that the three Alliances were embarrassed to be shown up by the Mages/Fighters Guild forces during the invasion of Coldharbor.

Razum-dar says: "Raz warned Queen Ayrenn. She has promised to contact the leaders of the other alliances and assemble a mighty force to deal with this threat! Which brings us to the not-so-happy news." "The mighty force won't reach Summerset for quite some time. Oh, and Raz could tell you about prevailing winds, unusual storms, and other factors beyond our control, but it amounts to the same thing. We're on our own, my friend."

So, no, I don't agree that we need to transform whole swathes of the game into "You're fair game to enemy guards." I don't even think that it's necessary to impose a certain order of chronological play on people.

If it bothers you that Pact Captain Varanis Arano is wandering around shopping at the Guild traders in Elden Root, that's too bad. She's blessed by Meridia's Light.

And if it bugs you that it doesn't make sense for your characters, then you've got the same option! You too can play your alliance in chronogical order up until you start Cadwell's Silver, and then branch out to do whatever you like.

I have played in order, and it still doesn't make sense.
  • Hollyniss
    Hollyniss
    ✭✭✭
    I think it'd probably be even more confusing as a new player.