The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Multi-thread rendering causing CPU to run hotter for anyone else? SOLVED

AJones43865
AJones43865
✭✭✭✭
I was happy to see the multi-thread rendering option show up, but I'm having an issue with it. It is causing my CPU to run at 82-87 degrees. Even without the multi-thread rendering ESO keeps my CPU running hotter than any other game, but with multi-thread rendering turned on my CPU runs so hot my computer almost shuts down automatically. I have very good cooling for my i9 9900k CPU. (360mm Kraken) ESO is the only game that overheats my system.

Anyone else running into this issue?

Issue resolved. An update to the NZXT CAM software reset my cooling profiles to 'silent' mode.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on December 3, 2021 1:09AM
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. I'm playing on laptop with i7 10750H and CPU is running at 60-70°C but I optimized my game to be as smooth as possible (to run at least above 100FPS) and then I've changed some options so it would look nice so I don't play on maxed settings.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
    Options
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I don't run it, mine went up from the usual 70c to 80c, also i9-9900k, and didn't see a performance boost of any kind. The game already runs at 120-150 fps in most places with max settings (shadows off / liquid low), it drops below 100 in crowded towns; I don't pvp so I can't speak for cyrodiil or battlegrounds.
    Options
  • AJones43865
    AJones43865
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I don't run it, mine went up from the usual 70c to 80c, also i9-9900k, and didn't see a performance boost of any kind. The game already runs at 120-150 fps in most places with max settings (shadows off / liquid low), it drops below 100 in crowded towns; I don't pvp so I can't speak for cyrodiil or battlegrounds.

I felt like it helped performance some, but I can't be melting down my PC either, especially when my PC is top of the line.
    Options
  • Folkb
    Folkb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not for me no. Its the same. I have an i7 6700k.
    Options
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I immediately turned it off because it caused the translucent crystal furnishings (and some water surfaces) in my housing setup to flicker horribly anytime they were meshed together.

Without multithread rendering:
    With multithread rendering:
    love is love
    Options
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryzen 1800X here, multithreaded rendering enabled, during game CPU stays at 40C ~8% usage.
    Options
  • woe
    woe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Something is wrong in your setup. If you have an i9 running a kraken that is MORE than efficient for your setup and max settings. Do you have all of the fans plugged into the proper headers on the mobo and a curve setup in CAM? You could aslo increase your pump to 100%. On any loading screen multithreaded rendering is uncapped fps so it will run hotter but for everything else you shouldn't be having this issue at all.

I'm running an i7, multithreaded on, eso on max settings and I run at 60c with a kraken x62 for cooling.
    uwu
    Options
  • Tirantiel
    Tirantiel
    These temperature numbers are way high. My CPU is at 50 C, while playing. Is the radiator fans facing the correct direction? Are you exhausting the heat into the case?
    Options
  • Tirantiel
    Tirantiel
    Also my temperature is 10 C cooler when on the idle login screen with the multi-threading on.
    Options
  • AJones43865
    AJones43865
    ✭✭✭✭
    deflorate wrote: »
    Something is wrong in your setup. If you have an i9 running a kraken that is MORE than efficient for your setup and max settings. Do you have all of the fans plugged into the proper headers on the mobo and a curve setup in CAM? You could aslo increase your pump to 100%. On any loading screen multithreaded rendering is uncapped fps so it will run hotter but for everything else you shouldn't be having this issue at all.

I'm running an i7, multithreaded on, eso on max settings and I run at 60c with a kraken x62 for cooling.

Thank you. An awesome for you. I should have checked software settings before posting. We spend all this time to get our elite machines set up just how we want them, then a software update comes along and changes your settings. An update to the NZXT CAM software reset my cooling profiles to "silent" mode.

So I remade my cooling profile, turned mulit-thread rendering back on, and watched my temperatures for a couple hours while gaming hard for a couple hours. My temp did hit 80 a few times for split seconds, then quickly came back down to 70-75 degrees, just like it's supposed to.

ESO still runs hotter than any other game I play, but the problem was clearly my software settings and not the multi-threading.
    Options
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Thank you for updating the thread and posting the resolution to the overheating. This discussion is going to be locked with the issue resolved.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.